As a Canadian why should I support an inferior product just because it wraps itself in the Canadian flag?
    Are you on the wrong blog? This is the inferior BlackBerry "CrackBerry" blog.
    andy957 likes this.
    09-28-16 05:00 PM
    I don't agree with many things John Chen says but it is SO true that Canadian companies do not support BlackBerry e.g. Air Canada (Rouge) WestJet, Canadian Tire and the big three phone suppliers have little knowledge or support. I am ashamed of most of my fellow Canadians in their treatment of BlackBerry. BUT I am also ashamed of BlackBerry and their treatment of BB10 supporters and users.
    Unfortunately, Corel WordPerfect shares a similar story and fate. I am proud to be one of the last holdouts for both Corel and BlackBerry. However, as much as I loved the products of both Canadian companies, IMO, in the final analysis, they and they alone are responsible for "dropping the ball" and giving me little choice but to look elsewhere.
    andy957 and JeepBB like this.
    09-28-16 05:01 PM
    As a import Canadian from the UK, I have supported BlackBerry since day one when I first had a cell phone. Unfortunately like most cell phone buyers here in Canada fell under the spell of Apple & Samsung, I strongly believe had BlackBerry kept up with Apple in phone design ie apps when they first started appearing on phones BlackBerry maybe not have fallen so far behind everyone else.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-16 05:05 PM
    If John Chen can't persuade his wife to use a Blackberry, then he has small chance persuading Canadians to support them as well
    cribble2k likes this.
    09-28-16 05:19 PM
    That's like saying "where are all the American cars when I went to the US, because all I saw were Mercedes, BMW and Lexus." I remember reading a while back that Canadians buy over 50% of the Big 3 cars and Americans bought others.

Also you have to consider how small our market is compared to the US, the US economy is literally 10 times larger, 330 million to about 33 million, so they know all the big sales are in the US.

Add to that the fact that it is very hard for Canadian products to get tv airtime for commercials in the US because all the American commercials take top spot. Basically any Canadian product commercials get washed away in a sea of American ones. That doesn't help either.

Like someone said, you buy what you want, and that applies to anywhere that it is possible.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Ralph Morgotch; 09-28-16 at 05:50 PM.
    09-28-16 05:38 PM
    I have a question:

How come Android was the saviour to Motorola when they were just about bust, but the same did not help Blackberry?

09-28-16 05:40 PM
    I have a question:

How come Android was the saviour to Motorola when they were just about bust, but the same did not help Blackberry?

Market saturation? Too late to the party? BlackBerry core users not interested in Android offerings? BlackBerry's lack of commitment to any of its user base?
    Bad publicity?
    Posted via CB10
    TgeekB likes this.
    09-28-16 05:50 PM
    I dunno. Palm was an iconic U.S. brand that was destroyed by HP with little more than a whimper from consumers. The dominance of the iPhone and Android claimed many victims, regardless of country. Remember Nokia?

Posted from my Q10 via CB10
    09-28-16 05:53 PM
    Blackberry used to have almost all of the largest corporations enrolled in their hardware MDM solution. The corporate sector seemed to give up on BlackBerry even before the PRIV came out. With the iPhone or Samsung, Enterprise can count on long term support.
    09-28-16 05:53 PM
    Market saturation? Too late to the party? BlackBerry core users not interested in Android offerings? BlackBerry's lack of commitment to any of its user base?
    Bad publicity?
    Posted via CB10
    perhaps

09-28-16 06:07 PM
    "Where are the Canadians ?"

They've been on a galactical hunt for apples.
    RH1Pearl and EchoTango like this.
    09-28-16 06:55 PM
    "Where are the Canadians ?"

They've been on a galactical hunt for apples.
    Yeah....supporting the American economy

09-28-16 07:01 PM
    Where are the Canadians?

Bell Centre. They play the Senators tomorrow.

Posted via Nexus 6p
    Sorry...wrong....those are the CanadiEns.
    09-28-16 07:55 PM
    Apparently everything in comparison to the phones people actually bought over the past five years.
    You are assuming that the majority of people actually buy superior products. Not even close to true. That's like saying the Harry Potter books are superior to Lord of the Flies.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-16 09:15 PM
    Didn't Google move into the Kitchener Waterloo area when BlackBerry left? Does Google have a larger workforce in Canada than BlackBerry?

Posted via CB10
    BlackBerry is still in Waterloo but radically smaller. Google was in Kitchener before BlackBerry downsized, but it is now radically bigger. BlackBerry has qnx staff in Ottawa too, and Apple just opened shop right beside them.

Posted via CB10
    09-28-16 09:22 PM

Chen was just talking to a Canadian business audience and was trying to build support for the company I think. Pulling his comments out of context, it makes it seem like he is blaming Canadians.. don't think that is what he meant.
    If you look at the Empire Club interview again, I think you'll agree he was revealing his genuine shock at the lack of of any Canadian corporate, government or consumer response to the market pummelling Blackberry was taking during their darkest hours. It is a daily occurrence that U.S. Senators get up and bemoan any contract awards to foreign suppliers. You just have to look no further than the Tanker deal to see what I mean.

I'm not complaining at the U.S. response because they have every right to do that in their own country, but where is the Canadian equivalent outrage ?
    09-28-16 09:59 PM
    So as a Canadian, I should by a phone made in China or India or Mexico from a company that imports them into Canada?

No as a Canadian, I buy what I want, not what John Chen wants.
    Canadian enough to ;
    - design the phone
    - design the hardware
    - manufacture it cheaply in China, Indonesia & Mexico
    - takes the bulk of the profit
    - support Canadian employment
    - support the Canadian retirement fund.

I think that should be Canadian enough isn't it?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    TCB on Z10 likes this.
    09-28-16 10:09 PM
    In John Chen's recent Empire Club fireside chat, he mentioned his surprise at the historic lack of support from both Canadian carriers and consumers during Blackberry's recent well known challenges.

He also mentioned Nortel as another domestically abandoned iconic Canadian market leader, which is now typically mentioned by the media in conjunction with Blackberry's fall from prominence. Are Canadians maintaining our famous polite indifference or displaying our well known national low self esteem ? Here we are today greeting the announcement of Blackberry's exit from designing and manufacturing hardware with silent resignation as we watch another Canadian point of pride is driven out of a marketplace they helped create.

One can understand when ICE (U.S. Immigration) elected to move wholesale to Apple, in part to channel taxpayer funding to support their domestic player and (I'm sure) comply with the very vocal local Congressmen to do the patriotic thing and buy American. Nothing wrong in that. However, I've not heard one Canadian voice or institution stand up and a show any concern or support for this home grown innovative company whose brand is known around the world. Where are our politicians giving tangible support to keep this company able to compete internationally by supporting it at home?

I can only surmise that John's "surprise" comes from knowing this type of national indifference would never happen in the U.S. or for that matter in China.
    Except iPhones aren't manufactured in the USA.

09-28-16 10:14 PM
    Unfortunately, Corel WordPerfect shares a similar story and fate. I am proud to be one of the last holdouts for both Corel and BlackBerry. However, as much as I loved the products of both Canadian companies, IMO, in the final analysis, they and they alone are responsible for "dropping the ball" and giving me little choice but to look elsewhere.
    Me too.

09-28-16 10:15 PM
    I think a lot of people, at least my friends, went where their friends went, which seemed to be to iphone. Some android, but mostly iphone. From what i've experienced people don't care what their phone is, if it can have the apps like their friends have, then they will go there.

Unfortunate, but that's the way it is. I'll always be a diehard blackberry fan, and you'll have to pry my cold dead hands from this passport! This thing is a beast!!

Posted via CB10
    09-28-16 10:45 PM
    The Canadian market is probably a tad smaller than the California market. Given that few people want a PKB or a slider should we be surprised?

The problem is that Chen has threatened to pull the plug for so long that potential customers would rather not take the risk.

The mercury is the phone that should have been made in 2013 or 2014 and now it is probably to late.
    09-28-16 10:58 PM
    Hmmm..... Patriotism and Consumer Goods. Anyone remember North Star runners?
    You must be as old as me if you know "NorthStar".......they dissappeared around 1982 or so?

09-29-16 12:44 AM
    The Canadian market is probably a tad smaller than the California market. Given that few people want a PKB or a slider should we be surprised?.
    Correct. The population of California is the same as all of Canada. My province alone is twice the size of California and only 1 million people live here. Nor do Americans even know what "Saskatchewan" likely is or have never heard of it.

09-29-16 12:55 AM
    You must be as old as me if you know "NorthStar".......they dissappeared around 1982 or so?

Believe it or not they are still available...we have a liquidation outlet in BC (Big Box) which recently has had stock so they are obviously licensed somewhere. Was feeling nostalgic but they only had blue suede in my size. ...probably a good thing.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-16 01:10 AM
    Believe it or not they are still available...we have a liquidation outlet in BC (Big Box) which recently has had stock so they are obviously licensed somewhere. Was feeling nostalgic but they only had blue suede in my size. ...probably a good thing.

Posted via CB10
    Haha well that's a shocker. They always wore out pretty fast, and I will attribute that to being young, rather than some lack of "quality"

09-29-16 01:14 AM
163 12345 ...