I was wondering where BlackBerry phones could reach with this two-companies agreement. Maybe not as the Golden Era of BlackBerry, where devices were available anywhere, but at least a few big markets. For example: I live in Brazil. You could find a bbos phone at any store here. With the bb10, z10 and q10 was launched by the biggest carriers, but you all know the story and, after these two, BlackBerry devices were gone. Now with TCL, is it reasonable to believe that they could bring them back? I know TCL sells several Alcatel phones here, but I don't know how it will be with BlackBerry/ TCL phones in terms of distribution. Do you guys have any idea about it?

Posted via CB10
    02-06-17 06:44 PM
    Now with TCL, is it reasonable to believe that they could bring them back?
    Yes. That is part of the intent. While it's not going to happen overnight, one of the goals is to get BlackBerry back into the places it needs to be.
    bakron1 and Bbnivende like this.
    02-06-17 07:04 PM
    I think TCL has good relationships with carriers. That definitely should help.
    02-06-17 07:14 PM
    I also think by licensing with TCL will let them get back into the marketplace with reasonably priced devices.
    02-06-17 07:23 PM
    Right now in Canada, Alcatel is competing with BlackBerry and of course under cutting the price. All future BlackBerry devices should unique like the Mercury. Love to see all touch, slider and full keyboard versions of the Mercury just like BBOS in 2011 .
    02-14-17 08:29 AM
    Right now in Canada, Alcatel is competing with BlackBerry and of course under cutting the price. All future BlackBerry devices should unique like the Mercury. Love to see all touch, slider and full keyboard versions of the Mercury just like BB0S in 2011 .
    Yes and no. I see cheaper versions of the same phone. The dtek60 is not matched by the alcatel counterpart. As long as future BlackBerry devices don't just copy same reference designs for upcoming devices they aren't even targeting the same market.
    02-14-17 08:33 AM
    Right now in Canada, Alcatel is competing with BlackBerry and of course under cutting the price. All future BlackBerry devices should unique like the Mercury. Love to see all touch, slider and full keyboard versions of the Mercury just like BBOS in 2011 .
    Cistulli has already asked for 'patience' from the BlackBerry faithful. To me that translates to let's see how the Mercury does before assuming TCL will do anything beyond what we have already seen from the DTEK series...at least in the near term.
    02-14-17 08:38 AM
    Honestly I feel like this is the best possible solution for the BlackBerry handset issues. If this fails BlackBerry handsets are done.
    02-14-17 08:41 AM
    Totally agree
    02-14-17 08:49 AM
    TCL's plans right now for the Mercury are Enterprise.... that and they have carrier support in North America, is about all they have told us.

Doesn't mean they will ignore consumers, but I would expect TCL will be somewhat cautious with the Mercury - 1) It is a BlackBerry and the brand is damaged, hard to say how much $ they will invest, 2) It is a PKB phone, and the market for such a phone in the consumer market is not a clear.

A few weeks maybe TCL will fill in what we don't know.... as right now we don't know much of anything.
    02-14-17 08:56 AM
    Yes and no. I see cheaper versions of the same phone. The dtek60 is not matched by the alcatel counterpart. As long as future BlackBerry devices don't just copy same reference designs for upcoming devices they aren't even targeting the same market.
    TCL has already stated that BlackBerry devices will have their own designs.
    02-14-17 09:41 AM
    Check this out:
    http://blackberrymobile.com/

Countdown to Mercury and TCL's name also appears on the website (until fairly recently it was re-directed to BlackBerry).

The Whois is interesting...no info on to whom it is registered...and check out the domain expiry date...

Domain Name: BLACKBERRYMOBILE.COM
    Registrar: MARKMONITOR INC.
    Sponsoring Registrar IANA ID: 292
    Whois Server: whois.markmonitor.com
    Referral URL: http://www.markmonitor.com
    Name Server: NS1.MARKMONITOR.COM
    Name Server: NS3.MARKMONITOR.COM
    Name Server: NS4.MARKMONITOR.COM
    Name Server: NS5.MARKMONITOR.COM
    Status: clientDeleteProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientDeleteProhibited
    Status: clientTransferProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
    Status: clientUpdateProhibited https://icann.org/epp#clientUpdateProhibited
    Updated Date: 22-feb-2016
    Creation Date: 14-mar-2001
    Expiration Date: 14-mar-2017

>>> Last update of whois database: Thu, 19 Jan 2017 15:41:55 GMT
    02-14-17 10:49 AM
    The 60 is basically the Idol 4s.

I see no evidence that the Enterprise market still exists for BlackBerry especially with the PKB format. Folks in Toronto might think so but that market is peanuts.

Posted via CB10
    02-14-17 11:05 AM

I see no evidence that the Enterprise market still exists for BlackBerry especially with the PKB format. Folks in Toronto might think so but that market is peanuts.

It is regular consumers like us who will buy the Mercury. I could be wrong but I bet the majority of recent BlackBerry sales are to consumers.

Posted via CB10

Posted via CB10
    02-14-17 11:07 AM
    ... Folks in Toronto might think so but that market is peanuts.

Posted via CB10
    EXCUSEEEEEEEEE ME!!! Toronto is peanuts!!?!!??!? How rude!!!! (as the olsen twins used to say). Toronto is the centre of the universe.
    02-14-17 11:18 AM
    EXCUSEEEEEEEEE ME!!! Toronto is peanuts!!?!!??!? How rude!!!! (as the olsen twins used to say). Toronto is the centre of the universe.
    Think a super black hole is suppose to be the centre of the universe... so maybe you wouldn't want to live there.

The issue is that the WHOLE of Canadian and US Enterprise that is using BB10 right now... is not peanuts, but it's not exactly a hotdog either. Maybe five million phones? The question is what will the conversion rate be from BB10 to DroidBerry, and how quickly will it start and how long will it take? How many other enterprise customers will convert back to a DroidBerry?

If TCL gets an order for 3 million phones in the first year... they'll be happy. If they get an order for 500K phones with plans over the next five years to transition those 5 million.... they'll move on to something else.

BlackBerry has convinced TCL their is a market there... have to hope they know something about it.
    02-14-17 11:35 AM
    If anyone can do it for our beloved handsets, I think it's #BBMobile. If they can't, it won't ever happen.

Posted via CB10
    02-14-17 12:21 PM
    Think a super black hole is suppose to be the centre of the universe... so maybe you wouldn't want to live there.

The issue is that the WHOLE of Canadian and US Enterprise that is using BB10 right now... is not peanuts, but it's not exactly a hotdog either. Maybe five million phones? The question is what will the conversion rate be from BB10 to DroidBerry, and how quickly will it start and how long will it take? How many other enterprise customers will convert back to a DroidBerry?

If TCL gets an order for 3 million phones in the first year... they'll be happy. If they get an order for 500K phones with plans over the next five years to transition those 5 million.... they'll move on to something else.

BlackBerry has convinced TCL their is a market there... have to hope they know something about it.
    Sorry Mr D, I suspect the number of BB10 Enterprise NA may be closer to 500 k with about a 30 percent return rate.

BB10 has been mainly a consumer product. My opinion based on anecdotes is that the Enterprise market pretty much dried up before the Passport was issued.

But we really do not know. Just speculation.

BlackBerry Mobile needs to make new Enterprise customers.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 02-14-17 at 02:03 PM.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    02-14-17 01:49 PM

Posted via CB10
    Not quite true. The Dtek60 has a better processor, camera and more memory. That's quite different if you ask me. Maybe form factor and the screen are similar, but not much else.
    02-14-17 02:22 PM
    Not quite true. The Dtek60 has a better processor, camera and more memory. That's quite different if you ask me. Maybe form factor and the screen are similar, but not much else.
    It was really more an Alcatel Idol 4 Pro... T-Mobile U.S. launches the Windows 10 Alcatel Idol 4S on November 10 for $469 unlocked | Windows Central

There were some minor differences... but that's the design reference the DTEK60 was based on, not the Idol 4s. Only they never released it the 4 PRO...
    02-14-17 02:49 PM
    Yes you are right. My bad.

Posted via CB10
    02-14-17 03:46 PM
    Sorry Mr D, I suspect the number of BB10 Enterprise NA may be closer to 500 k with about a 30 percent return rate.

BB10 has been mainly a consumer product. My opinion based on anecdotes is that the Enterprise market pretty much dried up before the Passport was issued.

But we really do not know. Just speculation.

BlackBerry Mobile needs to make new Enterprise customers.
    Actually the demand for BB10 largely came from high security customers, not the consumer market.

Chen wouldn't commit to saying that we'll never see another BB10 device again, but he noted that the market for BB10 devices has been squarely in the high-security business, such as governments and hospitals. BlackBerry will continue to support those customers with software updates, but since they don't upgrade their devices very often, the impetus to come out with new hardware often is low.
    http://www.theverge.com/2015/10/8/94...million-phones

They had enterprise case studies in the past for companies like Air Canada and Home Hardware but I guess the government and medical market was bigger.
    02-14-17 06:39 PM
    I believe the above Chen quote to be just spin or if you prefer fake news. As a consumer we do not know what was happening on the Enterprise side. You can choose to believe Mr Chen in this regard but not me. No facts either way.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    02-14-17 06:45 PM
    I believe the above Chen quote to be just spin or if you prefer fake news. As a consumer we do not know what was happening on the Enterprise side. You can choose to believe Mr Chen in this regard but not me. No facts either way.
    It's not enterprise (or consumer) but government and medical. Whether those markets can (or will) upgrade to BB Android remains to be seen I guess.
    02-14-17 06:57 PM
    It's not enterprise (or consumer) but government and medical. Whether those markets can (or will) upgrade to BB Android remains to be seen I guess.
    This notion is even more far fetched. Even my provincial govt has left BlackBerry in 2014. The horse left the stable years ago....in every sector.
    02-14-17 07:22 PM
45 12