I thought they were made in Canada but on my invoice from Expansys it says China. I haven't received the phone yet.

What does your Blackberry, say "Made in ....?"

Is it mentioned under the battery door or what?
    Last edited by F0nage; 01-14-10 at 10:43 AM.
    01-14-10 09:44 AM
    As far as I'm aware the only production countries for the BlackBerry are Canada, Mexico and Hungary.
    01-14-10 09:47 AM
    Sane' is correct, there are three current BlackBerry assembly locations.

I have reviewed Expansys web pages, they appear to offer genuine BlackBerry products. Some of the listing specify the EU localization.

It is possible the one you have ordered has the Chinese localization. You will know for sure when you see the keyboard.

01-14-10 09:58 AM
    It's supposed to be a UK product code. Other threads on the forums here say they are selling completely unbranded units, haven't heard of anybody getting a Chinese one. Mine better not be!

https://www.expansys.com/rimreg-blac...qwerty-176283/

I downloaded archives of their web page and pics for the product, it shows a pure English kb. They'd better be straight, there's nothing in the site that indicates anything but a UK version they're selling.
    Last edited by F0nage; 01-14-10 at 10:14 AM.
    01-14-10 10:01 AM
    rocking the mexico on the last two and this one china, the mexicos worked better for the 8220 the china is having issue with sim card being read, replaced the sim card and issue persist, reload os, issue persist, replacement on its way, dmn the man.
    01-14-10 10:12 AM
    My Tour was made in China, it works just fine... At least, if I remember correctly it said it was made in China on the box.

Reed, how can you tell by the keyboard??

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-14-10 10:25 AM
    My Bold 9700 is 100% Canadian
    01-14-10 10:29 AM
    My Tour was made in China, it works just fine... At least, if I remember correctly it said it was made in China on the box.

Thanks Elvin, bummer about John Candy, one of my favorite actors btw.

I think Reed meant it would have those funny characters on it
    01-14-10 10:37 AM
    Yeah that's what you get when you buy a Blackberry from a Canadian carrier in Canada!
    01-14-10 10:37 AM
    My Czech BBerry was made in Mexico.
    01-14-10 11:51 AM
    Yeah that's what you get when you buy a Blackberry from a Canadian carrier in Canada!
    Actually it would seem that the 9700 at Rogers is manufactured in Mexico. Telus and possibly Bell have the 9700 that has been manufactured in Canada.
    01-14-10 12:15 PM
    rocking the mexico on the last two and this one china, the mexicos worked better for the 8220 the china is having issue with sim card being read, replaced the sim card and issue persist, reload os, issue persist, replacement on its way, dmn the man.

I have reviewed the RIM press releases from the past couple years. There are several announcements that involve China and Hong Kong, but all are distribution and co-operation announcements.

There is nothing to indicate BlackBerry manufacturing has been sub contracted to any Chinese manufactures. Accessories like the charger and the case are all Made in China.

Chinese manufactures offer state of the art facilities and produce many of the competitors products. The iPhone has always been made in China.

The only way to be sure is the product label under the battery. Under the bar code, right side it will say Made in ....

The box will have the Made in label too.

01-14-10 12:19 PM
    Thanks for all the info, Reed. I hope some of the guys will note where theirs was made in this thread after their next scheduled battery pull
    01-14-10 12:31 PM
    Assembled there anyway, with parts from China!
    01-14-10 01:01 PM
    Thanks for all the info, Reed. I hope some of the guys will note where theirs was made in this thread after their next scheduled battery pull
    It is also on the box the berry came in near (under),where the barcode is , mine was made in mexico I did not have to do a battery pull ,,, I still got the box
    Last edited by DavidNC; 01-14-10 at 01:23 PM.
    01-14-10 01:21 PM
    Assembled there anyway, with parts from China!

Good observation, Globalization at work.

Made in means assembled.

There is no way the embedded CPU, Flash RAM, or radio chips are Canadian technology. They are all imported for manufacture.

Canadian content is likely limited to Plastic molds and software.
    01-14-10 01:25 PM
    Actually it would seem that the 9700 at Rogers is manufactured in Mexico. Telus and possibly Bell have the 9700 that has been manufactured in Canada.
    Mine is from Bell but made in Mexico.......
    01-14-10 01:28 PM
    Canadian content is likely limited to Plastic molds and software.
    And Moosehead foam...although I personally prefer Labatts and think it's very underrated. The beer and ale that is, not the foam.

But I digest...back to the topic: pop those battery doors, guys! Lemme know where YOUR baby was made. Thanks.
    01-14-10 01:29 PM
    Mexico... Y arriba mi raza!!!
    01-14-10 01:50 PM
    Ok, just got my new 8900 ten minutes ago!

It is made in Hungary. Not sure why the receipt I got from the seller said made in China, obviously an error. Thanks everyone.
    01-20-10 08:50 AM

So I randomly thought about this thread the other day as I noticed my Tour box sitting on my dresser, picked it up and noticed I was wrong, my Tour is of Mexican decent, not Chinese. Ole!
    01-20-10 09:01 AM
    mine says made in China.
    01-20-10 11:35 AM
    My handheld was made in Mexico 3 with Accessories made in Japan, China, Turkey, and Indonesia!

01-20-10 01:47 PM
    My 9000 is made in Canada, my first bold that the usb port went out, Canada as well, second bold Made in Hungary kept dropping calls but the 3rd bold made in canada has been great except sometimes the standby button not working properly.. Other then that is flawless!

Cheers,
    Charlie
    01-20-10 03:18 PM
    My Storm was made in Canada. Few things that are just my pet peeves but other than that I love it and it works great!
    01-20-10 11:28 PM
27 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD