ajsellaroli - no offense but with the questions you are asking you should not be looking at installing exchange and bes. There are 2 people in the company you described which means hosted exchange is $24/month + $10/month for the one berry.

If you really want to do and have money and time to burn then you need to look at a new Dell server with SBS 2003. SBS comes with exchange and is the better deal for companies with fewer than 30-40 users. I just receive my copy of SBS 2008 (which includes exchange 2007) but haven't had a chance to look at it yet. On this SBS box you can install blackberry professional, which is the free bes w/ one license. Again, though you still need static IP, a spam/virus solution and ssl. SSL ($100/year) let's you run outlook over a plain old internet connection, no need to vpn into the network. It also allows for OWA so you can hit your mailbox from any web browser.
    11-13-08 08:48 PM
    ajsellaroli - no offense but with the questions you are asking you should not be looking at installing exchange and bes. There are 2 people in the company you described which means hosted exchange is $24/month + $10/month for the one berry.

If you really want to do and have money and time to burn then you need to look at a new Dell server with SBS 2003. SBS comes with exchange and is the better deal for companies with fewer than 30-40 users. I just receive my copy of SBS 2008 (which includes exchange 2007) but haven't had a chance to look at it yet. On this SBS box you can install blackberry professional, which is the free bes w/ one license. Again, though you still need static IP, a spam/virus solution and ssl. SSL ($100/year) let's you run outlook over a plain old internet connection, no need to vpn into the network. It also allows for OWA so you can hit your mailbox from any web browser.

yes after reading the posts this post is on the same wavelink as I was thinking. A company hosting there own things is the ideal situation. SBS is a great solution and I have used it many times for small business needs.. HUGE KUDOS

SBS comes with many of the needed functions and is very cost effective for small business needs. Now I understand that its extremely small now but you never know how fast it could possibly grow and wasting money on monthly fees without a plan of expansion can also be costly in the long run. Yes the initial cost is a bit of money but in the long run it will definitely pay for itself. At any rate no matter what you decide to do I am sure many people on this forum are willing to help you in getting this up and running (I will chime in on it if needed). However it can take a bit of work (not hard work) but a bit of work figuring out how to do ssl and anti virus things but over all its not a really complicated process just for a first timer it can sometimes be tedious. It really depends on the actually company needs/growth.

Doing something small like a $24 + 10 plan as mentioned can add up over time and really leaves no room for future upgrades without adding on continued monthly charges

Its hard to say without knowing any plans about the future of said company (this info doesnt have to be posted here) but its something to keep in consideration.

edit: also keep in mind that a ton of what is said on forums may be complete opinions and might be the solution there is experienced people on here and also less experienced (noone knows everything but everyone knows something )
    Last edited by noaim; 11-14-08 at 03:56 AM.
    11-14-08 03:53 AM
    that's $1100 dollars a month.. After 4 months a BES would of paid for itself.

As a corporation that can be sued/go through litigation, there's absolutely no excuse to be using hosted exchange.

With the laws of how SMS is, if you host emails on another company server, you have no legal grounds to view your employee's emails then.

Plus, if you're sued, you now have to ask that company for email logs etc.. they may not have the time or even be willing if all you are doing is paying them $22 bucks a month.

That's exactly what I told them - however, they don't want the hassle of managing exchange and bes in house...
    11-15-08 09:31 PM
    Help? HELP!!

I was minutes away from ordering MailStreet Exchange server, when I ran into a few snags. I was talking to the Mailstreet guy on the phone, asking him some questions, and this is what I found out:

*If I wanted my dad and my mom to both have it, I would need two accounts, each with one exchange server and one BES. That would cost me $40 a month (two accounts, so $20 each).

*If my dad wanted to have one contact list that synced to my mom's phone and his phone, that was impossible. He said it is a 'limitation of the device.' He said we would make my dad's contact list the master. Then, set it up to 'share' lists with my mom's account. Then she would be able to see both her account and my dad's account on her screen, but if she altered my dad's contacts (the shared version on her computer) they would only be altered on my dad's phone. She would then have to add the same contact seperately to her own account. Not too convenient.

*If we wanted to give my mom access to my dad's calendar, he would have to 'share' it with her. Apparently that means the same thing as sharing contacts - she could make appointments for him on her computer, and it would go onto his phone, but they can't go to her phone as well.

All this led my dad to say: Why are we trying so hard to get this BES thing? Just for the instantaneousness of it?? Maybe we should just go for a 'hotsync' (wired sync) of contacts.

So my question to you all is: Is it possible to make a single contact list sync to two phones (A), and B, is it possible to do it with a wired sync? What about people like this: https://www.link2exchange.com/servic...ta-sharing.htm ?????

PLEASE HELP! THANKS!
    -me
    12-05-08 05:20 PM
    BES really is only going to OTA sync contacts that are maintained in the exchange mailbox contacts folder.

So you want to go to Outlook and add a delegate. Have Dad give Mom editor rights to calendar and contacts. She can use BES on her berry or EAS on a windows or iphone to update her mailbox. Back in the office she drags and drops or updates his mailbox and it syncs to his phone.
    12-06-08 07:41 AM
    BES really is only going to OTA sync contacts that are maintained in the exchange mailbox contacts folder.

So you want to go to Outlook and add a delegate. Have Dad give Mom editor rights to calendar and contacts. She can use BES on her berry or EAS on a windows or iphone to update her mailbox. Back in the office she drags and drops or updates his mailbox and it syncs to his phone.
    Interesting - I'm a little confused though. Is all this possible with mailstreet? What about my other question - is it possible to share a single contact list between two phones if I was willing to sync the phones to the computer by hardwire??
    12-15-08 04:09 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD