They also are going to have over 1,000,000 (that's one MILLION) malware apps by the end of 2013 at the current rate of development.

You know all those annoying "someone is saying something bad about you on this web site, click here" messages you get from friends on Twitter? That's all Android malware -- people downloading a game or utility that accesses all of their messaging services and converts their phone into a spam and malware distribution hub.

One of my Android-using friends couldn't figure out why he was using over 9 gigs of data a month -- we isolated to a four-star-rated Android game that was converting his phone into a botnet spoke that was spamming millions of people. The app is still on the Google Play market, he tells me.

Until Android receives a fundamental re-engineering, top to bottom, it's the smartphone equivalent of Windows 95 -- a malware-choked, swiss-cheese-firewalled, privacy-destroying security nightmare.
    Probably something similar to what is outlined here:

Android Malware Found to Send Remote Commands | Security Intelligence Blog | Trend Micro
    02-05-13 01:52 PM
    Most likely the people defending the lack of apps don't have a Z10, so they aren't lacking apps. It's a little different when you are trying to use a device day to day. I don't want or need WhatsApp or Skype. But there are apps that I need (and were available on BB7 and are on EVERY other platform). So we sit and wait.

It is interesting that the some of the developers were mentioned as being "committed" to BB10. That's not a date.
    I sent an e-mail to Amazon Kindle Reader development last night. They had no idea what I was talking about. That's an app that I want, but don't necessary need.
    02-05-13 01:56 PM
    They also are going to have over 1,000,000 (that's one MILLION) malware apps by the end of 2013 at the current rate of development.

You know all those annoying "someone is saying something bad about you on this web site, click here" messages you get from friends on Twitter? That's all Android malware -- people downloading a game or utility that accesses all of their messaging services and converts their phone into a spam and malware distribution hub.

One of my Android-using friends couldn't figure out why he was using over 9 gigs of data a month -- we isolated to a four-star-rated Android game that was converting his phone into a botnet spoke that was spamming millions of people. The app is still on the Google Play market, he tells me.

Until Android receives a fundamental re-engineering, top to bottom, it's the smartphone equivalent of Windows 95 -- a malware-choked, swiss-cheese-firewalled, privacy-destroying security nightmare.
    Wow, you really are out to lunch with these statements, aren't you? 1 million malware apps by the end of 2013? Considering the App Store only currently has 700,000 apps, this means we will have to probably have close to 2 million apps in there by the end of the year. Good luck with that. As for your "friend", I don't care how many stars the game had, one must look at how popular it is by download numbers. Anyone can create a malware app and have a few of his friends give it 4 stars. However, in the Android forum, you claimed to have to help 2/3 of your friends figure out where all their malware was coming from, and that the apps were all Top Rated apps, yet failed to provide any actual details (just as you did with this "game" he downloaded). Please leave the "scare" tactics to the professionals such as Norton and Mcafee..
    randall2580 and Moonbase0ne like this.
    02-05-13 02:01 PM
    Some how I get the impression it wouldn't matter if BB had 1000 of the BEST apps....people would still complain...some complain about stuff...others provide solutions or act in a proactive way to effect change...guess which ones are overwhelmingly successful in life?
    BKbehave and Justthecrack like this.
    02-05-13 02:26 PM
    y do the customers have to do BB jobs? BB should been having developers making apps for them. Don't blame anyone but BB. its their job. no one profit other than them if the phone is successful. they need a better job at attracting developers. plain and simple

the customers have every right to complaint about anything as long as its a valid concern. app is a real concern. no one care how great your OS is if there is no support on it. app is what make the phone functional. try using a phone without any app. see how far it goes

there is a reason why things get better, because people complaint and hopefully company will get it right sooner or later. should we all sit quietly and "hope" things get better because its BB in which we trust? i dont even understand whats up with brand loyalty. this is a damn cell phone for god sake.
    Well I was hoping you would get more from that post. My point is that the consumers have the MOST influence on the product. BB did their job. They already have gone to the developers. They made it easy for any developer to be able to bring their popular apps over with ease. But the developers want to see a customer base that would prove profitable for them so they are all waiting to see more sales, US sales in particular. So saying BB sucks for not having apps is destroying BB reputation which could hurt sales and then that app will never be developed for those that love the phone. And don't BS me about BB being the only one to profit if the phone is successful. Do you not pay for apps? No? You must love the million ads you get then. Another BS claim: "app is what makes phone functional" "try using a phone without an app. see how far it goes." Did you listen to yourself there? You must have an android. But, no, sorry cheap shot, even android phones are functional without apps. They are phones. You just want a toy to go with it. Also, yes, people complain and that's what makes things better, but directing your complaint at the right people is what I am saying needs to be done. BB already knows they have to catch up in apps. They are not as stupid as you think. I'm pretty confident to say that right now the only thing BB is struggling to do is get app developers to budge. But it is YOU, the consumer, that will do that in the end when you finally open your mind and your wallet to the new phones. Lastly, no duh, it's just a phone. When iPhone came out everybody told me "its not just a phone" I can smell BULL too.
    02-05-13 02:29 PM
    It the O.P. is accurate in his observation I would simply say THAT is the reason the phones will be released in the U.S....
    ...3 or 4 months down the road ( end of March or early April ).
    ...Other markets can get by w/out brand name apps - the U.S. simply will not stand for that.

I predicted this so my advice is not to worry about what's not there now ( in those other markets ).....
    ...I'm willing to bet when the phone is availible in the U.S. by April that those big name apps will be there at launch day.
    ...If not the very obese lady will start to sing very loudly.
    02-05-13 03:57 PM
    what about Blackberry developed apps? why aren't they ready?

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    02-05-13 04:20 PM
    BB should leave the phone as is until march and then just slowly release one specific app at a time so the people not using the platform but complaining get their chance to whinge about the apps and the BB users get their apps. (but that still leaves the complainers who complain no matter what)
    02-05-13 04:33 PM
    When asked about Skype on twitter, Alec Saunders said that it would be available by US carrier availability.
    https://twitter.com/asaunders/status/297399221726887937
    He mentions there are good alternatives for now for the others mentioned in the tweet: Instagram, Netflix, Hulu+. Just curious, but what are they? I assume he means the built in Photo Editor for Instagram alternative but what about Netflix and Hulu+?
    02-05-13 05:42 PM
    He mentions there are good alternatives for now for the others mentioned in the tweet: Instagram, Netflix, Hulu+. Just curious, but what are they? I assume he means the built in Photo Editor for Instagram alternative but what about Netflix and Hulu+?
    It's PR talk. There are no real alternatives, just compromised substitutes. I'm thinking Blackberry World video would be the "alternative" to Netflix and Hulu+ for now. Maybe Crackle if it's available...
    02-05-13 05:56 PM
    Maybe Crackle if it's available...
    Agree with the rest of the post. But this... Although not an equivalent to the others in terms of selection, Crackle works direct through browser on the Playbook no reason it shouldn't on Z10. Anybody try it? Anybody? Dammit I want this phone.
    02-05-13 06:43 PM
    I must a complete loser. I have a Torch 9810 (by choice) and I don't have 1000 apps on my phone. What is wrong with me, think of all of the fun I am missing.
    I have a friend I chat with in Rome using Whatsapp, I am in the U.S. and if Whatsapp is not available on the Z10 whenever it is available, I may not be able to talk to my friend ever again....oh no!!! What??? Life without Whatsapp? Maybe, I shouldn't get the Z10 until Whatsapp is available....
    Crack is whack. If you think I am not getting a Z10 because of missing app you are out of your freaking mind.
    I use Skype and Netflix on my laptop. Where there is a will, there is way. I am sure there are alternative apps I could use or at least try.
    I even suggested to my friend in Rome to get a Z10.........
    I am currently enjoying my Torch 9810 and living a decent life without the many 'needed' apps.
    When I get the Z10 (whenever available in the U.S.) just make sure I can might a phone call, send emails and web browse the internet.
    I will sure I will find and hopefully discover new apps that will become the new 'needed' apps of the future....sooner or later the Z10 will be mine!!!!!
    MXBerry likes this.
    02-05-13 09:01 PM
    Just tried...sorry but browser doesn't support the latest flash...unsupported device. They need to fix this.

Just birthing pains...I'm sure Adobe will recognize soon.
    eddy_berry likes this.
    02-05-13 09:04 PM
    It's PR talk. There are no real alternatives, just compromised substitutes. I'm thinking Blackberry World video would be the "alternative" to Netflix and Hulu+ for now. Maybe Crackle if it's available...
    Well for me, if you look at the video selection on Blackberry World compared to Netflix, that's not a compromised substitute...I call that an upgrade.
    eddy_berry likes this.
    02-05-13 09:15 PM
    Well for me, if you look at the video selection on Blackberry World compared to Netflix, that's not a compromised substitute...I call that an upgrade.
    If you consider paying out the *** an upgrade...

I don't see many tv shows available there though.
    02-05-13 09:47 PM
    As someone who has the Z10, I can tell you that the apps that are there are sufficient. Particularly on the games front, there are a lot of high quality games.
    02-06-13 03:03 PM
    Just tried...sorry but browser doesn't support the latest flash...unsupported device. They need to fix this.

Just birthing pains...I'm sure Adobe will recognize soon.
    I think RIM/BBRY write the code for Flash on PB and BB10. Adobe is getting out of the mobile flash business.
    02-06-13 06:28 PM
    I think RIM/BBRY write the code for Flash on PB and BB10. Adobe is getting out of the mobile flash business.
    Yep, Adobe gave out on the development of Flash on mobile. BB will have to maintain and update the code. I predict they will just give out soon since BB will face a lot of problem in compatibility with the latest flash version and the security issue.
    randall2580 likes this.
    02-06-13 06:38 PM
    You sure?? Android will be lucky to have 1 000 000 (that's one MILLION) total apps by the end of 2013. You're going to call all of them malware??
    I'm sure!

Android malware could reach the 1 million mark by year's end | ZDNet

According to the security giant and anti-malware maker, 2012 showed that malware writers, spammers, and hackers have begun to capitalize upon the mobile market, with a particularly keen eye for attacking the Android platform. Not only does Google-owned Android have the greatest market share, therefore making it an easier target, it also has a more open platform to work with, compared to Windows Phone or the iOS-based platforms.
    snip

Trend Micro detected 350,000 threats for Android, with a growth ratio of 14:3 for Android versus PC. In context, it took Android just three years to achieve the PC volume of malware threats within 14 years. By the end of this year, the volume of Android malware could reach as high as the 1 million mark.
    14 times the growth rate of PC viruses from the Windows 95 days!
    02-06-13 06:45 PM
    Here we go again.

Got the name of those hijack apps you 'personally' cleaned? We're still waiting in three other threads you've made this claim in for proof, but you strangely go silent when confronted and continue to regurgitate this article quoting a fear mongering company who MAKES anti malware software (and therefore has a vested interest in scaring the bejesus out of people) all over crackberry.

So, again, for the 4th time, name these apps please. And for the love of god stop posting this article that is hardly unbiased when the quote is from someone who makes money off this fear. It's like Fox News claiming they are fair and balanced while their on air personalities fundraise for the republicans.

Edit

Oh hey, several people asked you back on, like, page 3 OF THIS THREAD for names and you managed to continue to spout this one million claim and not answer.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by reeneebob; 02-06-13 at 11:55 PM.
    richardat likes this.
    02-06-13 11:42 PM
    And to be clear, I would question any article whether it was about BB or Android or iOS if the source of the information was a company with a financial interest in what they were fear-mongering about.

A million malware apps? I got a bridge in Brooklyn, yours for a $5 bill.

richardat likes this.
    02-06-13 11:50 PM
    Maybe I'm missing something in your high class diatribe, but where is it malware? Find me one place that says it's malware.

Just for giggles, I downloaded lookout, avast and avg and then this 'malware'. It's clean. It didn't even ping an ad network. All three listed it as safe.

I don't think malware means what you think it means. Not that it matters, as you are someone who didn't want to lose their main account here and so registered a fake account for the sole purpose of trolling and getting banned.

Incidentally, I never said there isn't any malware on android. I said if someone uses common sense thy should be fine. I am questioning brmillar1976 and his constant regurgitation of a biased report as gospel, and every time he gets called on it he disappears. I'm not the only one who's questioned him, but I'm the only one you troll. Interesting.

Should we wait for you to register another alt to respond? Are you 12? You aren't exactly helping your case with your behavior.

Do you actually know what malware is? Based on your last post, the answer is no.

02-07-13 01:14 AM
    Now if you'll excuse me while you go frothing at the mouth trying to prove your point before you're banned, I have to get to bed as I'm such a android fangirl that I'm attending a BB10 roadshow tomorrow and likely picking up a z10 - yep. Total fangirl.

02-07-13 01:22 AM
    Some how I get the impression it wouldn't matter if BB had 1000 of the BEST apps....people would still complain...some complain about stuff...others provide solutions or act in a proactive way to effect change...guess which ones are overwhelmingly successful in life?
    Can you tell me some things you've done as a consumer to 'proactively effect change'?
    How successful were all those threatening mails and petitions you lot sent over to Netflix et al back in the OS7 days?

Consumers on Crackberry were led to believe that the app issue would have been significantly addressed by BB by the time the Z10 came out. All those cheery tales of thousands of app submissions and insanely attended port-a-thons made many people imagine the BB World would have a very rich selection of apps.
    Now that the good folks here see that a large portion of those apps were just quick and dirty Android and PlayBook ports and some glorified Web apps, people ARE gonna feel somewhat let down.
    02-07-13 01:39 AM
    The app situation IMO is a tricky one now a days. a couple years ago developers where hungry and made apps for everything cause it was a new upcoming industry...

now IMO it's all about "is it worth my time making my app for this new OS? I'm making enough money from apple and android to really worry about the chump change so I'll wait till the user base grows and can make a good profit"

Blackberry and Microsoft both started completely fresh with an entirely new OS... apple and google have systems that have been growing for a few year now and have HUGE market share.

I'm a big supporter of BB and WP because I think the OS is much more ahead and fresh butttt the app situation isn't going to change any time soon but eventually it will.
    02-07-13 02:44 AM
123 ... 2345