I started this thread not as a flame war for fanboys, but to show how bias the tech blogging community really is.
    Literally, right after the BlackBerry world keynote, tech reviewers immediately came out with articles saying BB10 preview failed to impress....
    Now, a day has passed since the Apple world keynote address and a quick google search turned up one, count them, one negative review of iOS6 failing to impress (which from the language used, I don't think is a respected blogger)
    http://realtechnews.blogspot.ca/2012/06/top-5-things-why-ios6-failed-to-impress.html

Now, this blogger is obviously a HUGE android fan, but he does raise some good points...
    Have a read, you will probably laugh, and let me know what you think.

If anyone else can find anything negative about the frankly underwhelming iOS6 preview, let me know. Than we can see just how out of balance and bias the tech world is towards Apple.
    06-12-12 07:22 AM
    Maybe it's becuase iOS 6 is a good OS that makes a great product even better?

Even if you like BlackBerrys you have to admit that the iPhone is an excellent device and the iOS 6 update will only improve it.

Also LOL at the link to the iOS 6 review. I think all the stuff he mentioned is really cool and it's all things that I would love to have on a phone.
    Last edited by JohnEnglish; 06-12-12 at 07:35 AM.
    06-12-12 07:31 AM
    You aren't comparing like to like - one is an incremental upgrade to the market leader, the other is a new OS from a failing organisation. The second has to be far more impressive than the first because it's not simply a direct reflection of technical specs but also is weighted to include the chance of the new-comer overcoming the incumbent. BB10 is very very slick but the reality is that it provides nothing new to anyone outside of the RIMpire - it's implementation might have some advantages but it provides no paradigm shifting features.
    leftypepper716 likes this.
    06-12-12 07:32 AM

Even if you like BlackBerrys you have to admit that the iPhone is an excellent device and the iOS 6 update will only improve it.

Also LOL at the link to the iOS 6 review.

I think all the stuff he mentioned is really cool and it's all things that I would love to have on a phone.
    I don't think that will ever be a valid option for some LOL.

Incremental in the perceived right direction is usually well received.
    06-12-12 07:35 AM
    I respect everyones opinion and it doesn't matter to me if someone uses an iphone, an android, a blackberry, or a webOS device... They're just a phone at the end of the day and they all do, relatively, the same thing.

Just seems a bit crazy that a large company comes out with nothing mind blowing, which they are famous for, and nobody stops and thinks "this is the best, the largest company in the world can come up with?"

I think some of the new functions are cool, the DND is going to be very useful, I can see it now... But I mean, what else that is new really shows the creativity and genius apple is known for? I was hoping for more, so I know the diehards must have been let down even a little bit, but there is no mention of it.

Seems like the medival ages, when scientists and philosophers questioned whether the earth was flat were arrested.
    06-12-12 07:46 AM
    Sorry about your thread OP but the has-been BlackBerry users who are now Apple/Microsoft/anything-non-RIM loyalists are here to plug your thread for absolutely no reason. You know, because this is a BLACKBERRY site and all, we welcome all... Different types of people? With open arms.
    06-12-12 07:50 AM
    You aren't comparing like to like - one is an incremental upgrade to the market leader, the other is a new OS from a failing organisation. The second has to be far more impressive than the first because it's not simply a direct reflection of technical specs but also is weighted to include the chance of the new-comer overcoming the incumbent. BB10 is very very slick but the reality is that it provides nothing new to anyone outside of the RIMpire - it's implementation might have some advantages but it provides no paradigm shifting features.
    I agree, if someone wants to bring something completely new to the market and make their presence known in a highly competitive area like the mobile space, than they need to be the trend setter, they need to be the best.

But I'm arguing the fact that Apple IS the trend setter, but I seen nothing trend setting yesterday during their keynote.
    Now you can argue that they don't need to be, they're already number one, but that is a dangerous game which we all know how that plays out.
    06-12-12 07:55 AM
    I agree, if someone wants to bring something completely new to the market and make their presence known in a highly competitive area like the mobile space, than they need to be the trend setter, they need to be the best.

But I'm arguing the fact that Apple IS the trend setter, but I seen nothing trend setting yesterday during their keynote.
    Now you can argue that they don't need to be, they're already number one, but that is a dangerous game which we all know how that plays out.
    Oh sure, like RIM eventually someone will come along with something that blow them out of the water but let's be real - it's not BB10 - that looks like a highly polished, highly competent OS that a lot of people will really like but it's not different enough from what has come out before to make a significant difference - certainly not in a time-frame to save RIM.

That's the key thing - Apple is sure to fall like any other corporation but I can't see it happening in the next 4 Quarters (which realistically is as long as RIM have to make BB10 a success).
    06-12-12 08:00 AM
    I respect everyones opinion and it doesn't matter to me if someone uses an iphone, an android, a blackberry, or a webOS device... They're just a phone at the end of the day and they all do, relatively, the same thing.

Just seems a bit crazy that a large company comes out with nothing mind blowing, which they are famous for, and nobody stops and thinks "this is the best, the largest company in the world can come up with?"

I think some of the new functions are cool, the DND is going to be very useful, I can see it now... But I mean, what else that is new really shows the creativity and genius apple is known for? I was hoping for more, so I know the diehards must have been let down even a little bit, but there is no mention of it.

Seems like the medival ages, when scientists and philosophers questioned whether the earth was flat were arrested.
    But that's the thing. Yes Apple is known for making mind blowing products, but they're also know for continually updating and improving their products. Look at the new MacBook Pro. It now has a SSD HD, retnia screen , it's even thinner, and it's quieter. Mind blowing? Hardly. However, what is impressive is the level of detail and attention that they give to everything and the fact that they always find ways to improve their products and make them better.

Same thing with iOS6, Apple's own 3D maps with turn by turn navigation, Siri integration with most car manufacturers, Facetime over a cellular connection, Passbook, etc. These aren't new innovations but they make a good product even better and more useful. As I said above they are all features I'd love to have on a phone.
    06-12-12 08:00 AM
    How do you know this? Are you an insider and have a completed device with a completed OS10 so you know everything about it and all of the features?

If not you know as much as my little toe does.
    06-12-12 08:02 AM

Good points. I don't disagree.

Apple has the advantage of momentum. I thought there were some good additions, but nothing major enough to cause me to jump ship, but those features will be enough to keep current iOS customers and reel in new ones.

I don't put much stock in tech reviews of others, because the things I usually like are not always mainstream.
    06-12-12 08:02 AM
    Exactly. 100%. Dead on. Well said. Apple has all the tools for developers. RIM is introducing them in BB10. Apple has built in turn by turn navigation - they're upgrading; RIM is introducing their solution. Apple has Siri. They are upgrading. RIM may not have anything even close in BB10. Apple is hitting its stride and is miles ahead. RIM is just getting new legs. Finally, analysts and bloggers appear universally underwhelmed from what I've read and the stock dip I've seen. But as Apple did not need to introduce anything Earth rattling to survive and thrive the muted reception is entirely appropriate. RIM needed to shake the foundation nearly a year ago, previewing an OS tHat will be just as good or slightly better than all the others currently are, to be released in 5 months when you have no new product and a stock price dipping into junk territory is not going to get universal accolades.
    06-12-12 08:03 AM

Also LOL at the link to the iOS 6 review. I think all the stuff he mentioned is really cool and it's all things that I would love to have on a phone.
    This is pretty much spot on.

Apple is in the position to impress people with these incremental updates. RIM is need of an overhaul and because of the position they're in, they need something that floors people. BB10 will be a huge update for RIM, but that's only because RIM was so far behind - and if it winds up being not much better than the competition - then the media and consumers will yawn and ask "why should I drop the iPhone or Android for that?".

RIM should count themselves lucky that iOS6 isn't a monster update - pulling the OS much further ahead of BB10 before BB10 is even released.
    06-12-12 08:03 AM
    Apple didn't impress the STock market. It dropped over $18 a share after the keynote.
    G-bone, recompile and axeman1000 like this.
    06-12-12 08:21 AM
    Apple stock does that after every event of theirs. It'll recover after a few days and then when next quarter's results are announced it'll go even higher.
    06-12-12 08:24 AM
    I love when people say "there was nothing mind-blowing". Well what could a company put in a phone now that would be mind blowing? And still work? I'm sure they could do a 3D hologram but it would not work correctly.

Sure apple gave solid updates and also remember Apple thinks big picture. They know where Siri is going. Was Google search as good as it is now when it first came out? No they refined it.

I think it's pretty cool I can ask Siri who won the Redskins game and she will give me the score right away (odds are they lost). How is that not a cool feature?
    mapsonburt and jivegirl14 like this.
    06-12-12 08:24 AM
    One day people will wake and realize they halve been using the exact same OS for years with very little change.. Apple will fall behind like any other company does.
    06-12-12 08:27 AM
    That may very well happen, however, until they do they are the market leader and the one to beat.

Anyone who dismisses iPhones as "iToys" or downplays the significance of their continual improvement of their products is doing the exact same thing that Jim and Mike did for several years that put RIM into the position it is now.
    06-12-12 08:30 AM
    How do you know this? Are you an insider and have a completed device with a completed OS10 so you know everything about it and all of the features?

If not you know as much as my little toe does.
    Unless they are hiding stuff really well and they have a holographic display planned or a three week battery, or a foldable screen that folds out to 18", the limits of current technology and the supply chain means that aside from stuff that is largely meaningless to the general public, BB10 is going to a slick, component touch-screen OS, nothing more nothing less.

People have to realistic with their expectations, the things that people are fixating about here are hygiene factors, they allow you to compete but they provide little or no competitive advantage - the public are not going to shift on mass to BB10 because it has 'real' multi-tasking.

OS is important at the level that it has to have a basic level of competency to be in the game but beyond that it provides no real advantage, not in 2012.
    mapsonburt likes this.
    06-12-12 08:31 AM
    One day people will wake and realize they halve been using the exact same OS for years with very little change.. Apple will fall behind like any other company does.
    For a RIM site, that's the wrong question - the right question is "Can it happen in a time-frame that RIM can take advantage of?"
    06-12-12 08:34 AM
    Apple is at its peak, much like Microsoft at its time. They wont be able to spin on a dime and be mind blowing (or completely disastrous), they simply dont have the agility as a large company anymore. Its all about tried and true business 101. Upgrades! They will ride that wave as long as they can. If they don't find another vertical for the company to try to dominate in they will just age. The telling signs are where they make there most profit from. The phone business will only last so long for Apple.
    06-12-12 08:41 AM
    I started this thread not as a flame war for fanboys, but to show how bias the tech blogging community really is.
    Literally, right after the BlackBerry world keynote, tech reviewers immediately came out with articles saying BB10 preview failed to impress....
    Now, a day has passed since the Apple world keynote address and a quick google search turned up one, count them, one negative review of iOS6 failing to impress (which from the language used, I don't think is a respected blogger)
    REAL TECH NEWS from The Real World: Top 5 Things Why iOS6 Failed To Impress #iOS6Fail #iOSsucks

Now, this blogger is obviously a HUGE android fan, but he does raise some good points...
    Have a read, you will probably laugh, and let me know what you think.

If anyone else can find anything negative about the frankly underwhelming iOS6 preview, let me know. Than we can see just how out of balance and bias the tech world is towards Apple.
    iOS is already established and has been reviewed many times. BB10 is a brand new system and RIMs lifeline, do you honestly expect them to be considered in the same way?
    06-12-12 08:46 AM
    What is mind blowing about using TomTom maps and open maps project for your navigation. What is mind blowing about facebook integration, when WP7 did that 2 years ago. What is mind blowing about SIRI taking dictation, nothing new there. Should I go on, how brain washed do you need to be before you realize it has already been done. Apple is going to have a little problem with that Wedge Shape Patent they got approved with last week because SOny has had prior art since 2004. The only thing I see new in Apple is they are going to stick there hands deeper in your pockets and you will gladly let them do it.
    axeman1000 likes this.
    06-12-12 08:47 AM
    Apple have a great product that a big chunk of the smartphone market enjoy. Sure their announcements were less than innovative, but people are still enjoying the user experience at the moment so they have nothing to bad to say. They're not waiting for something to change, they're happy the way it is, so they're not going to knock it. "If it ain't broke don't fix it".
    I reckon if they tried to do anything too drastic in the user experience, it would a lot of people off because it would just make that little bit more complicated to use. Though I do think Apple has just about run its course.
    06-12-12 08:50 AM
    It is curious to see RIM mocked for having a BB10 phone that will be a 'frankenstein' phone because it uses software components not created in house. Yet iPhone is using Tom Tom for its mapping as will RIM. For BB10 this will no doubt be a very bad thing but for AAPL it will be great. See quote below.

"We are more intrigued with the new maps app, greater social networking integration," Sterne Agee analyst Shaw Wu said in a note. "We find these 'under the radar' software enhancements significant and will drive more adoption of the Apple platform."
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    06-12-12 08:55 AM
155 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD