What ever happened to the supposed Titan 4g BB that was to revolutionize the whole BB market and make android, iPhone, and windows suck on it, but now it seems that we will NEVER have a BB that is 4g. I love my BB and don't plan on going anywhere but just want something a little bit faster. Can't wait for the new phones, but which ones are gonna be world capable out of the box like my bold 9650?
    06-10-11 10:34 PM
    Yes, the Bold Touch 9930 will be a CDMA World Phone.
    06-10-11 10:39 PM
    4G will not be on BlackBerry or Apple until suitable radio chipsets are available. Current devices require two separate chipsets to use 3G/4G technology. While I've seen no statement from RIM, I have read a statement and posted the same from an Apple bigwig that clearly indicates that there will be no 4G version of their devices until a multimode single chipset is available rather than compromise size and battery life by requiring more than one set.

The necessary chipsets are in development, and slated for Q4 production/release. Expect to so the desired result at best estimate, Q2 or 3 next year.

Unless someone miracles the chips into existence before then.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by BergerKing; 07-22-11 at 02:16 PM.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    06-10-11 11:50 PM
    4G will not be on BlackBerry or Apple until suitable radio chipsets are available.

All of this makes sense since the 4G Playbook has been delayed indefinitely, from sprint and no word as to what the hold up is. But since they are working on a 4G Playbook why can't they WORK on a 4G BB?
    06-11-11 06:26 PM
    Does anyone know if ITU has even confirmed the 4G technical standards yet? All I've been able to find has been discussion drafts.
    06-11-11 08:24 PM
    Does anyone know if ITU has even confirmed the 4G technical standards yet? All I've been able to find has been discussion drafts.
    ITU did define 4G standards which do include the evolved 3G tech of HSPA+, Wimax, & LTE
    06-11-11 08:38 PM
    Chipset is one thing, and battery life is another.

Look at these Large Droids. They are all huge because they have to be. And they all have poor battery life(the 4G capable ones) because of the dual radios AND larger screens from having dual radios.

So expect Apple to release one maybe next year, and Rim on the border of 2012-13
    07-22-11 01:31 PM
    4G will not be on BlackBerry or Apple until suitable radio chipsets are available.

All of this makes sense since the 4G Playbook has been delayed indefinitely, from sprint and no word as to what the hold up is. But since they are working on a 4G Playbook why can't they WORK on a 4G BB?
    Until they have the chipset, how do you design the hardware to use it? It's a hardware issue, and until they have the appropriate hardware, it's kinda hard to put together and integrate hardware that doesn't exist yet.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-22-11 02:20 PM
    Chipset is one thing, and battery life is another.

Look at these Large Droids. They are all huge because they have to be. And they all have poor battery life(the 4G capable ones) because of the dual radios AND larger screens from having dual radios.

So expect Apple to release one maybe next year, and Rim on the border of 2012-13
    I have a friend that works at Verizon. He was bragging about LTE speeds and demonstrated with a speed monitoring app. It is fast, but his demonstration also used up about 10% of his battery. I also noticed that he turns off LTE for normal use.

One of the reasons I like blackberries is that RIM is obsessive about battery life. They won't adopt LTE until there is a more power efficient solution. They were a about a year and half late in adopting WCDMA (3G), mostly for the same reason. 2012 may be a bit optimistic. I'd say mid-2013.
    07-22-11 02:44 PM
    ITU did define 4G standards which do include the evolved 3G tech of HSPA+, Wimax, & LTE
    I can confirm this as well. They redefined them December i believe.
    07-22-11 10:24 PM
    The first playbook was going to be wimax and with sprint showing more interest in lte these days they probably moved away from making one just for them, the odds are that the first 4g playbooks will be lte+cdma and lte+hspa models instead now.

They will be doing some early work on a 4g bb, but they aren't going to launch one if the battery life is rubbish.
    07-23-11 05:59 AM

if HSPA+ is considered 4G, then there probably will be at least one Blackberry phone advertised as 4G. Many consider HSPA+ "3.5G"; regardless, there is a Blackberry phone supporting it!

cb member's 9860 (its one of the pics in this gallery): http://www.pbase.com/greggebhardt/inbox

What many consider 'true' 4G is really only LTE and WiMax right now. As stated by many above, neither is on the roadmap this year for blackberry.

So the answer to this question really depends on what you consider to be 4G. Even if "technical standards" say HSPA+ is included, a real bump in speed will be noticed when the jump is made LTE & WiMax.

And who knows - if the next iPhone supports HSPA+, then AT&T could have the leg-up on Verizon by advertising it is "4G", while Verizon's would be 3G.
    Last edited by 2001bmw330xi; 07-23-11 at 07:46 PM.
    07-23-11 05:26 PM
    following up :

Back in May, T-Mobile USA already branded the 9900 as their first 4G Blackberry. So, like I said, the HSPA+ models will be marketed as 4G - whether or not H+ is truly 4G... I'd say "no" if you compared it to what LTE is capable of.

T-Mobile USA made the announcement on May 2nd using Facebook: Blackberry Bold 9900 - Our first 4G Blackberry | Facebook
    07-24-11 08:40 AM

And who knows - if the next iPhone supports HSPA+, then AT&T could have the leg-up on Verizon by advertising it is "4G", while Verizon's would be 3G.
    The iPhone 4S for AT&T already supports HSPA+. It's not advertised in anyway nor do we even get an H+ symbol.
    It's just 14.4. Whether you debate if anything under 21 is truly HSPA+ or not, is up to you.
    01-17-12 02:34 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD