How do you know Blackphone is selling?
    Posted via CB10
    Fair question, I don't know, but occasionally you can find news like these

Pentagon Personnel Now Talking on 'NSA-Proof' Smartphones - Nextgov.com

And while BlackBerry is discussing the future of their handset business, SilentCirce releases Blackphone 2 and a tablet is in the works.

I understood JC recent comments in public that Blackphone is their only competitor in the premium segment for secure Android phones.
    11-02-15 06:39 AM
    Fair question, I don't know, but occasionally you can find news like these

Pentagon Personnel Now Talking on 'NSA-Proof' Smartphones - Nextgov.com

And while BlackBerry is discussing the future of their handset business, SilentCirce releases Blackphone 2 and a tablet is in the works.

I understood JC recent comments in public that Blackphone is their only competitor in the premium segment for secure Android phones.
    I saw in a few articles the estimates were in the low hundreds of thousands. Similar to BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-15 06:58 AM
    I saw in a few articles the estimates were in the low hundreds of thousands. Similar to BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    Similarily to BlackBerry they are making also money with services, so their customer base maybe doesn't have to buy a new phone every two years.

But anyways, BlackBerry lost (potential) market shares to BlackPhone (for devices) and Threema (for messengers).
    11-02-15 07:17 AM
    Yes, finally, in the year 2015, Apple hast started with device encryption that cannot be bypassed.
    We had that already with BBOS over the last eight years.

I am not sure however what you mean with "limited data on iCloud"?
    Everything you back-up into iCloud (incl. iMessage) can be handed over to LEA as clear text.

iCloud, consumer grade BBM, GMail etc etc... all these services can be (and actually they are) equally accessed by LEA via court order and typically also without your knowledge.
    Everybody knows that, err, right?
    If you don't use iCloud (which is a totally optional service), then Apple has nothing to give to LEAs. It's the same for every service you mention.

As to your first point, I guess I'm not seeing it. Are we to not trust Apple because it's only now stopped giving LEAs access to devices? Shall we discredit BlackBerry's attempts at anything "Apple-like" they've done since the release if the iPhone?

It doesn't matter who does it first. In this case, it's a simple matter of doing it at all.
    techvisor likes this.
    11-02-15 07:26 AM
    Similarily to BlackBerry they are making also money with services, so their customer base maybe doesn't have to buy a new phone every two years.

But anyways, BlackBerry lost (potential) market shares to BlackPhone (for devices) and Threema (for messengers).
    Yeah, I agree they are losing out on business in general. But those in the "know" like IT professionals are aware of the security of BlackBerry (phones, BBM, BES, etc.). But for every story I see that some company or organization has picked up BES, I see posts iin these forums where people are saying their companies don't support BlackBerry or have dropped BES. Where I work, there are over 12,000 employees, and they dropped BES even though they could have upgraded to 12 to manage all the iPhones and Androids. I think that is a concern. Is it too expensive? Is their acquisition of all these other companies to bolster their offerings too late?

Posted via CB10
    11-02-15 08:26 AM
    As to your first point, I guess I'm not seeing it. Are we to not trust Apple because it's only now stopped giving LEAs access to devices? Shall we discredit BlackBerry's attempts at anything "Apple-like" they've done since the release if the iPhone?
    Oh, I think Apple is doing a very great job for their customers.
    Or to make it more clear, the reason why I don't carry an iPhone/iPad has not really much to do with privacy concerns, if I would ever move to Apple then *because* of iCloud actually.

My intention was to highlight that BlackBerry did a better job regarding device encryption over the past years, and that the "privacy depends on which service you use"-argument applies to all providers equally.

It's all about "ifs..."
    If you are on BES and not BIS, ...
    If you use only iMessage and no iCloud, ...
    11-02-15 08:40 AM
    ...Where I work, there are over 12,000 employees, and they dropped BES even though they could have upgraded to 12 to manage all the iPhones and Androids. I think that is a concern. Is it too expensive?...
    Every company has their own reason I assume.
    BES licenses for Android and iPhone used to be much more expensive than the licenses for BB10, so perhaps BES was too expensive for your company, ... but who knows.

My impression is that IT professionals often have to explain their decisions to the (representatives of the) board members.
    Here simplicity is certainly a plus for certain "and would this still work if we..." like internal discussions.
    However, if the discussion starts with a "without BES the BB10 phones are not much more secure than.. .", you may have directed your audience directly to the next Apple store, imho.
    11-02-15 09:21 AM
    Yeah, I agree they are losing out on business in general. But those in the "know" like IT professionals are aware of the security of BlackBerry (phones, BBM, BES, etc.). But for every story I see that some company or organization has picked up BES, I see posts iin these forums where people are saying their companies don't support BlackBerry or have dropped BES. Where I work, there are over 12,000 employees, and they dropped BES even though they could have upgraded to 12 to manage all the iPhones and Androids. I think that is a concern. Is it too expensive? Is their acquisition of all these other companies to bolster their offerings too late?

Posted via CB10
    Most large companies with 12,000 employees look at "cost" differently.

I don't think BES Licensing was all that expensive. But support is pretty expensive, and then there is how easy is BES to setup and use with these other platforms? How well does BES work with Mobile devices like Windows Laptops, or will you need another product for those? And what features does BES offer, compared with other products? The trend in IT today is to find SUITES that offer a number of features. That is what CHEN is trying to expand on with all of these acquisitions.

The real problem BES is facing is in the smaller markets... where a standalone EMM solution might not even be required. Many smaller companies are moving to cloud services for their email hosting. And many of these offer basic EMM for free, or for a small fee you can upgrade to more control. In that case it is much CHEAPER for a company to move away from BES.

I look at the EMM market and the big Players in "stand alone" EMM are Mobile Iron, Good, and BES..... and I have to wonder if there is a stand alone market for EMM?

And then you simply can't ignore BlackBerry's finical situation.... I doubt a CFO with a company that has 12,000 employees would ignore that.
    Superdupont 2_0 and JeepBB like this.
    11-02-15 09:44 AM
    Please change title. Should read.. when will people let this thread die...

Posted via CB10
    TgeekB likes this.
    11-02-15 05:19 PM
    "When will people start to care about privacy?".....

Right.....about........NOW!

Nope didn't happen....nonetheless a great question.

Posted via CB10
    11-02-15 07:01 PM
    Maybe the Priv will raise awareness to a certain extent, even if just a little... :-)

 Priv New (Chendroid) World...? :-| 
    11-02-15 09:21 PM
    Long time BlackBerry user here. Used iphone I HATED itune I dumped apple. Used android HATED all the non-sense non-noticify secret updates and spams, would slow down the phone dramatically and god know who reading my stuff. Security one thing but I cannot type without a physical keyboard, felt so stupid typing on screen.

There are so much positive news and popularity on apple and android, and there are so much negative news and public shaming about BlackBerry thats why BlackBerry has so much trouble standing on its feet. However I do believe eventually, there will be a big security crisis happen to the big two and many popular people will switch to BlackBerry, becoming global trend and BlackBerry will rise again. However as BlackBerry get popular, so does it potential to be target of hackers. it is one of the reasons why I still use BlackBerry, not because it has invincible security measures, its because it is so unpopular, very few hackers would brother trying, thus making BlackBerry much safer to use.

Posted via CB10
    anon(8719892) likes this.
    11-03-15 01:07 AM
    Long time BlackBerry user here. Used iphone I HATED itune I dumped apple. Used android HATED all the non-sense non-noticify secret updates and spams, would slow down the phone dramatically and god know who reading my stuff. Security one thing but I cannot type without a physical keyboard, felt so stupid typing on screen.

There are so much positive news and popularity on apple and android, and there are so much negative news and public shaming about BlackBerry thats why BlackBerry has so much trouble standing on its feet. However I do believe eventually, there will be a big security crisis happen to the big two and many popular people will switch to BlackBerry, becoming global trend and BlackBerry will rise again. However as BlackBerry get popular, so does it potential to be target of hackers. it is one of the reasons why I still use BlackBerry, not because it has invincible security measures, its because it is so unpopular, very few hackers would brother trying, thus making BlackBerry much safer to use.

Posted via CB10
    I wouldn't wait too long for your hoped for data theft apocalypse. Even BlackBerry isn't.
    11-03-15 06:04 AM
    I wouldn't wait too long for your hoped for data theft apocalypse. Even BlackBerry isn't.
    He didn't say that he hopes for a data theft blockbuster. He just said that he believes it will happen and that is why he is on BlackBerry because it is too small of a target, but if it gets big again, it may become a target.

Posted via CB10
    11-03-15 06:24 AM
    He didn't say that he hopes for a data theft blockbuster. He just said that he believes it will happen and that is why he is on BlackBerry because it is too small of a target, but if it gets big again, it may become a target.
    Oh, okay.

Wouldn't hold my breath too long for that either.
    TgeekB and JeepBB like this.
    11-03-15 06:33 AM

Posted via CB10
    The thing is even BB10 users have Google/Microsoft/Dropbox/BBM/etc accounts. If a breach happens, it doesn't matter what phone OS one was using. That's what poeple fail to realise: server-side breaches have NOTHING to do with any OS people were using, it being a desktop or mobile OS.
    11-03-15 09:27 AM
    The thing is even BB10 users have Google/Microsoft/Dropbox/BBM/etc accounts. If a breach happens, it doesn't matter what phone OS one was using. That's what poeple fail to realise: server-side breaches have NOTHING to do with any OS people were using, it being a desktop or mobile OS.
    I can completely agree to this, but I would like to mention that I've chosen BB10 also because it's said to be a very stable OS with no known exploits.
    I am a frequent traveler and do connect the device to all kinds of networks all over the world (for having BBM Videochat etc etc), but always with peace of mind that the device won't be compromised (even if the network would be).

Yeah, I know, smartphones being compromised when connected to a compromised network seems to be not happening, but things like Dark Hotel did happen (and actually IT people were warning me bout potentially compromised hotel hotspots many years before that story came out).
    Last edited by Superdupont 2_0; 11-10-15 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Post #244 about network attacks
    11-03-15 11:51 AM
    You sound angry. That is not good for your health or peace of mind. Stop rubbing toilet paper on your brain.
    11-03-15 12:11 PM
    Nah, the things you never, ever hear about period are actually happening all the time. Am I right?
    Yes they are

Also

https://theintercept.com/2015/11/06/...ur-every-move/

"If I have physical access to the device, I find Android�s usually the easiest target. Then comes iPhone, then older versions of BlackBerry. If it�s over a network or I have to attack via email or message, Android�s usually the softest target."

From

http://www.whatmobile.net/features/u...with-a-hacker/

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by DaSchwantz; 11-09-15 at 11:27 PM.
    Superdupont 2_0 likes this.
    11-08-15 12:49 PM
244 ... 8910