Hi all, I am new to this forum. I am frustrated with BB in that everytime I upgrade the OS, my phone is wiped clean, all contacts, calendars, passwords everything. I don't understand why this occurs. It seems it would be much more user friendly to just upgrade without wiping the phone. What am I missing?
    10-26-12 12:06 PM
    Be sure that you are creating a manual backup prior to changing OS's in addition to the loader backup. When you do this, you can then restore all you need if the loader backup fails.

It will ask you if you want a full backup.

Are your apps missing as well?
    10-26-12 12:09 PM
    You should not only make a back up before you load a new OS, but you should make one at least weekly, if not more frequently than that. Too many times I have heard of things happening where all information is lost. It takes a few seconds to make a backup, and it is time well spent.
    10-26-12 12:13 PM
    Always back up. BlackBerry protect is perfect for that.
    wolfee48 likes this.
    10-26-12 12:20 PM
    Agreed. And how to back up is according to how you use. If you store lots of files on the device and thousands of emails, etc. I would use desktop manager.

Me I only do BlackBerry Protect. Because all I keep on the phone that I really care about not losing is contacts (hundreds).

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    wolfee48 and dragonx6 like this.
    10-26-12 12:25 PM
    Are you wiping before upgrading? If I don't wipe first everything is still there.
    wolfee48 likes this.
    10-26-12 12:31 PM
    You should not only make a back up before you load a new OS, but you should make one at least weekly, if not more frequently than that. Too many times I have heard of things happening where all information is lost. It takes a few seconds to make a backup, and it is time well spent.
    Yes, very true. I forgot to add regular backups. I back up at least weekly via BB Protect and at least twice a week via Desktop Manager.
    10-26-12 12:45 PM
    Well... welcome to CB Sam!

even Windows loses all installed information so I wouldn't be surprised when a 'berry loses all information. As far as backing up goes, I prefer a daily Blackberry Protect backup while a weekly Desktop Manager (DM) backup. I don't like to lose information. Just remember, BB Protect doesn't backup everything on the device and so, when you upgrade the OS please backup everything before you go ahead with your upgrade.

Just for my curiosity, do you have to upgrade your OS often?
    10-26-12 12:51 PM
    Are you wiping before upgrading? If I don't wipe first everything is still there.
    This is key as well. No need to wipe, loader already does this.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    10-26-12 01:04 PM
    I synch my BB once a week and it automatically backs up.
    that would be great, except when I upgraded it didn't install BB App World, so I cannot access any of my apps, including BB Protect.. I watched my apps load onto the ph but without App World, I can't seem to access them.
    10-26-12 01:56 PM
    You can go to blackberry.com on your phone and install app world.
    10-26-12 02:36 PM
    You can go to blackberry.com on your phone and install app world.
    If this doesn't work for some odd reason, go to rroyy.com on your device browser and install from there.
    10-26-12 02:50 PM
    Well... welcome to CB Sam!

even Windows loses all installed information so I wouldn't be surprised when a 'berry loses all information. As far as backing up goes, I prefer a daily Blackberry Protect backup while a weekly Desktop Manager (DM) backup. I don't like to lose information. Just remember, BB Protect doesn't backup everything on the device and so, when you upgrade the OS please backup everything before you go ahead with your upgrade.

Just for my curiosity, do you have to upgrade your OS often?
    I don't like to lose info either!. As this is primarily a business ph, when I lose all my contact and especially calendar info it can be disruptive, if not disastrous. I lost a job last week because I had no record of an upcoming assessment, missed the meeting and the client decided to go elsewhere. I resist doing updates because of the negative results I have been getting. I was told by my service provider that i should be updating the ph.but when I stick my hand in the fire and get burned, it makes me hesitant to repeat that, LOL!
    10-26-12 03:03 PM
    How do you perform the upgrades? OTA (straight from your carrier to your phone)? Using Desktop Manager? Or the standalone Loader program?

Using either DM or the loader program, you usually have the option available along the way to backup and restore all information and added programs, since it does a read of what's on the phone when you first start the upgrade process.

I've done many upgrades and never lost my information or loaded apps in the process. They all reloaded back during the final step of an upgrade. That includes my email accounts.

The only time it didn't happen was when I purposely wiped and reloaded just the OS. This was because I was having problems with my phone and had the step back a build and then reloaded the apps one by one. The calendar and contacts were resynced from Outlook, and the apps from a reinstall of App World from the BB mobile site, or from a separate backup I did through BBSAK (which is a good program to have on your PC - assuming you're running a PC).
    wolfee48 likes this.
    10-26-12 04:26 PM