Any idea when this will be hitting the mainstream? Miracast is such a great idea, I'd love to be able to mirror my display on my smart TV without wires. I heard it's coming to 10.2...

CB10 on the Z10
    08-03-13 09:14 PM
    Any idea when this will be hitting the mainstream? Miracast is such a great idea, I'd love to be able to mirror my display on my smart TV without wires. I heard it's coming to 10.2...

CB10 on the Z10
    Miracast is a great idea... in theory. My experiences with it have been less than stellar. Until more products come out with it included, it will continue to flounder. When it will it go mainstream? Well, the problem is that it's an open standard and big companies don't like that too much.

They like their own things. AirPlay, Chromecast (also open source), WiDi etc which are all variations of Miracast but when they modify it, they own it. With that being the case, Miracast may never fully take off in such a capacity that is good for everyone. It's current status of 867 display capable systems is not exactly... promising. - http://www.wi-fi.org/wi-fi-certified-miracast%E2%84%A2

Then there is the case of Miracast just being a 'dumb' mirroring solution where other options allow more than just mirroring. Like Chromecast for example, it doesn't mirror your content really. It sends signals to services to tell them to push the content, like YouTube for example. You can cast YouTube using Chromecast but if say it's on your Android device, there's no real need to keep YouTube open. You can continue to do other things on your device because the signal was already sent for YouTube to play on your TV.

tl;dr: Miracast is kinda cool but thus far, has been a flop when compared to other offerings and you shouldn't get overly excited about it because it's far from a superior offering. It suffers from lag, incompatibility, and generally crappy quality compression of content.

PS: Sorry if I burst your happy bubble.
    mathking606 likes this.
    08-03-13 09:47 PM