In terms of keeping the battery healthy, when do you guys start charging your phones?

Before it hits 50% or do you let it go down to 8%-10% then charge?
    11-06-14 09:04 PM
    Anything but letting it fully discharge is a go. As long as you don't let it reach 0, you should be fine.

Lithium-ion battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    fpjones3 and HighFlight88 like this.
    11-06-14 09:17 PM
    Anything but letting it fully discharge is a go. As long as you don't let it reach 0, you should be fine.

Lithium-ion battery - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    This is good advice. The old-tech NiCd batteries were prone to 'memory' effects, so it was advised to occasionally run them all the way down and recharge. Lithium Ion batteries don't like to be fully discharged and especially not left in an uncharged state for any length of time. So keep them charged if you can.

Q10 ? The Other Crackberry Pirate ? Z30 | via CB10
    diegonei likes this.
    11-06-14 09:22 PM
    I have had the same battery in my Z10 for 21 months. I charge it whenever and never let it run to zero.
    I would say it is still at 85-90% of its life.

I think that whenever you wanna charge it is a good time.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-14 09:27 PM
    Ouch, I did that to my Passport a short while ago.

Wanted to really check how long it was gonna last. It was incredible how long it lasted sitting on 0%, it was like 10-15 mins of hardcore use, if I remember it correctly.

*sacrifice for the advancement of CrackBerry bro-scientific knowledge base*

The Q10 would have switched itself off a lot earlier.

? ? ? Passposted via CB Chen ? ? ?
    Originalloverman likes this.
    11-06-14 09:40 PM
    I typically don't run the battery dry. I noticed though it never stays at 100% for long after charging. Within the first hour, it' already at 95%, with PIM running at 2%-3%.

BTW, is it ok to keep the charger plugged in even after it reaches 100%?
    Last edited by fpjones3; 11-06-14 at 10:42 PM.
    11-06-14 09:49 PM
    This is good advice. The old-tech NiCd batteries were prone to 'memory' effects, so it was advised to occasionally run them all the way down and recharge. Lithium Ion batteries don't like to be fully discharged and especially not left in an uncharged state for any length of time. So keep them charged if you can.

Why is this? No wonder my spare batteries SUCK

Posted via Q30
    11-06-14 10:24 PM
    Why is this? No wonder my spare batteries SUCK

Posted via Q30
    Lithium-Ion is a chemically different kind of battery from those used in early portable electronics. Li-ion batteries (which are a collection of cells) are almost always accompanied by a Charge Management System, which provides the proper levels of voltage and current to the cells at the proper times, in order to ensure maximum capacity and longest life.

When your BB10 battery shows 0%, it is very likely still sitting at a significant voltage (0% is not 0 Volts) , but the energy content of the cells is nearly gone. At this point, BlackBerry has undoubtedly shut off the battery from further discharge using the charge controller, to protect it from damage.

When a Li-ion goes below a certain voltage for too long, the metal begins to migrate internally, and the cells suffer permanent harm that can't be undone. The charge controller protects against this under normal circumstances. However, the Li-ion also has 'self-discharge', which will continue to lower the voltage (and cause harm) over time if the battery remains below the minimum threshold without recharging.

Spare batteries, therefore, should always be stored fully charged, and your spare phone should not be left in a drawer with a dead battery.

diegonei and fpjones3 like this.
    11-07-14 12:16 AM
    Lithium-Ion is a chemically different kind of battery from those used in early portable electronics. Li-ion batteries (which are a collection of cells) are almost always accompanied by a Charge Management System, which provides the proper levels of voltage and current to the cells at the proper times, in order to ensure maximum capacity and longest life.

When your BB10 battery shows 0%, it is very likely still sitting at a significant voltage (0% is not 0 Volts) , but the energy content of the cells is nearly gone. At this point, BlackBerry has undoubtedly shut off the battery from further discharge using the charge controller, to protect it from damage.

When a Li-ion goes below a certain voltage for too long, the metal begins to migrate internally, and the cells suffer permanent harm that can't be undone. The charge controller protects against this under normal circumstances. However, the Li-ion also has 'self-discharge', which will continue to lower the voltage (and cause harm) over time if the battery remains below the minimum threshold without recharging.

Spare batteries, therefore, should always be stored fully charged, and your spare phone should not be left in a drawer with a dead battery.

I was falling asleep when I was on crackberry last night and came across this thread. I posted here and fell right to sleep afterwards? Now I'm awake. I read this post but not until I charged my q10. It died last night. Forgot to put it on the charger -___-.

Thanks! I'm glad you took the time to explain this. I always wanted to know. Now, we're going to have a slight issue with the passports correct? If their batteries are li-ion, and they die completely before being recharged, they'll be harmed and unfortunately we won't be able to swap them out as easily when that becomes a problem.

Posted via Q30
    11-07-14 05:02 AM
    So we are now back to the issue of removable batteries!! There is always the possibility that your spare phone dies in the drawer while you are on vacation, especially if you forget to turn it off.
    I bought a charger bundle (with battery) for less than $20 at Amazon. Can I get a new Passport for that price?
    I hope they bring back removable batteries before I need to upgrade from my Z10/Q10.

Posted via my Q10 or Z10
    11-07-14 07:37 AM
    I typically don't run the battery dry. I noticed though it never stays at 100% for long after charging. Within the first hour, it' already at 95%, with PIM running at 2%-3%.

BTW, is it ok to keep the charger plugged in even after it reaches 100%?
    Yes, it's okay to leave it on the charger after it reaches 100%.

Posted with my Z10 on Verizon 10.2.1.3253
    fpjones3 likes this.
    11-07-14 08:21 PM
    Okay, so is it fine if I leave my Z10 on the charger 24/7? I have my Q10, so I would only use it as a alarm clock.

How long can you leave your phone on a charger at one time?

Posted via CB10 using Blackberry Q10
    11-07-14 08:28 PM

Wanted to really check how long it was gonna last. It was incredible how long it lasted sitting on 0%, it was like 10-15 mins of hardcore use, if I remember it correctly.

I did this same thing when I just got my Z30 I was so shock to see me on YouTube, Facebook Google browser open and playing candy crush all with zero percent battery for a while. It wax astonishing esp coming from a Z10 where I have to be swapping between 3 batteries in one day

Send from the amazing powers of the? ? Z30
    11-08-14 12:49 AM
    With the advancement of batteries these days you don't have to worry about these types of things. Charge your phone whenever you want to.

Posted via CB10
    11-08-14 12:55 PM

Oh, I did that to every single device I had. Back on BBOS and battery life being the best think a new leak could offer, I'd go 0% every new leak to test how the bettery would hold on the new version...

That probably hit my batteries around 20-30% of their total lifespan, but heck lol.

Okay, so is it fine if I leave my Z10 on the charger 24/7? I have my Q10, so I would only use it as a alarm clock.

How long can you leave your phone on a charger at one time?

Posted via CB10 using Blackberry Q10
    Check the link on post #2.
    11-09-14 09:57 AM
    It's better to have your battery adapt to a routine

11-09-14 10:06 AM