Yes, silly BlackBerry! Purchasing the profitable QNX, allowing them to continue doing what they do best, and continuing to profit. How did they screw up their MO, and who's head should roll for such folly? /sarcasm
    How much money is QNX making them?

As a realtime kernel is it really superior to the hundreds of other RTOS Unixes out there? Or is it entrenched because of its (pre-BlackBerry) legacy?
    02-20-17 05:35 AM
    It's doing better in terms of reducing cost. Am I not correct in saying that revenues are MUCH lower than a few years ago?
    And losses are much lower too. When was the last billion dollar writeoff, remind me?

Why does every thread on this forum turn into a BB10 sore loser thread?

Blackberry Poptart SE - Cricket Wireless
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    02-20-17 06:05 AM
    Yes but QNX is no longer a part of the core business of Blackberry. As Blackberry chenned BB10 it shows they no longer have a vision for QNX and it might be better if another company can take it over and promote QNX further. Automotive is now going from QNX instead of adopting it more. Apparently when it was owned by Harman it was more popular in the automotive industry so the company that owns QNX makes a difference.
    again you have a huge lack of understanding. When BB acquired them they were used in less than 15 million vehicles and now that is well over 60 million vehicles now and over 50% of the market share in their business sector. You just plain dont know your facts
    02-20-17 06:18 AM
    And losses are much lower too. When was the last billion dollar writeoff, remind me?

I don't know, but the amount of willful ignorance is staggering.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-17 06:19 AM

Of course losses will be lower when you cut costs faster than revenue falls. And you call him the Saviour of BlackBerry for that? lol

Yes, I agree - cut jobs, slowly sell off your IP, and sell off sections of your business in slow motion - good business sense. That's saving the business, but he hasn't been able to save the BlackBerry that we once knew and loved.

Nobody has ever demonstrated the technical superiority of QNX vs. the myriad other Unixes out there, and it will get sold off in due course when the Chairman deems it not to be profitable enough.
    techvisor likes this.
    02-20-17 07:09 AM
    again you have a huge lack of understanding. When BB acquired them they were used in less than 15 million vehicles and now that is well over 60 million vehicles now and over 50% of the market share in their business sector. You just plain dont know your facts
    This is where you are wrong and you are looking at old figures. The automotive industry is currently migrating away from QNX but we haven't seen the effects yet.
    techvisor likes this.
    02-20-17 07:15 AM
    This is where you are wrong and you are looking at old figures. The automotive industry is currently migrating away from QNX but we haven't seen the effects yet.
    Could you please provide a source for this?
    02-20-17 07:17 AM
    Of course losses will be lower when you cut costs faster than revenue falls. And you call him the Saviour of BlackBerry for that? lol

That's saving the business, but he hasn't been able to save the BlackBerry that we once knew and loved.
    The BlackBerry "we once knew and loved" has been gone for a while. We have to move forward to do anything productibe and they have been moving forward. The "blackberry you are referring to was known as RIM and they have been RIP pretty much since Jim and Mike left. The brand is still here for the people that grew with the company while the marketshare shrunk
    02-20-17 07:17 AM
    The BlackBerry "we once knew and loved" has been gone for a while

True. I suppose it still exists in the sense that many businesses use BlackBerry software to restrict employee access to business data / networks. Without the Good acquisition I think BlackBerry would be dying off even in that sense.

I think Chen has been chosen to implement strategies already determined, hence the reason I mock people who worship CEOs and seem to think that EVERYTHING is their brilliant idea.
    02-20-17 07:30 AM
    I looked at numbers from less than 6 months ago...
    02-20-17 07:39 AM
    True. I suppose it still exists in the sense that many businesses use BlackBerry software to restrict employee access to business data / networks. Without the Good acquisition I think BlackBerry would be dying off even in that sense.

I think Chen has been chosen to implement strategies already determined, hence the reason I mock people who worship CEOs and seem to think that EVERYTHING is their brilliant idea.
    I wish I could figure out what you are arguing for.
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    02-20-17 07:45 AM
    How much money is QNX making them?

As a realtime kernel is it really superior to the hundreds of other RTOS Unixes out there? Or is it entrenched because of its (pre-BlackBerry) legacy?
    Sure it is wide spread ...

As for superiorità it is very stable but It would have to be updated to 64 bit long ago...

Posted via CB10
    02-20-17 08:00 AM
    I'm pretty sure you're just making stuff up at this point lol.
    02-20-17 08:46 AM
    I guess for you spending 1B dollars to buy other software companies that have smaller than 200M revenues is called profit.

Posted via CB10
    You buy a compagnie for future profits, not for past profits!

If one buy a compagnie for 1B and it makes 200M per year, the payback is only 5 years.... so assuming in 5 years you can sell it at 1B, then you just doubled your money. Try and find an investment that can double your money in 5 years.
    BigBadWulf likes this.
    02-20-17 08:50 AM
    I wish I could figure out what you are arguing for.
    Well put it this way, Chen's BlackBerry no longer makes a single product that I'm interested in buying. BlackBerry Mobile maybe does, but what are the chances it will ever release another QWERTY?

Great business sense maybe ... but no longer relevant or interesting to anyone but large corporations.
    02-20-17 09:47 AM
    OK ... so post up the stats that show this? What is the automotive industry currently migrating to? I would be interested in reading into this if this is the case.
    02-20-17 10:04 AM
    QNX is the future of the automotive infotainment systems. Besides, we shouldn't forget QNX Neutrino servers wise.
    02-20-17 10:14 AM
    I guess nobody here wants to answer (if they have the answer) the question how much revenue QNX has brought to BlackBerry, say in the last quarter or two, and if that revenue is higher than the cost of maintaining it.
    It's a legitimate question.
    If they give it out for nothing in hope of future profits, that's fine, but it is good to know.
    I thought that was the case a few years back when the 60 million figure was first circulated.
    That seems to be an old number...

Posted via CB10
    02-20-17 10:20 AM

Yes, I agree - cut jobs, slowly sell off your IP, and sell off sections of your business in slow motion - good business sense. That's saving the business, but he hasn't been able to save the BlackBerry that we once knew and loved.

Nobody has ever demonstrated the technical superiority of QNX vs. the myriad other Unixes out there, and it will get sold off in due course when the Chairman deems it not to be profitable enough.
    Their revenues are down because their business model has changed. Software licensing vs. $300-$500 per unit cell phones. Their overhead is also way down because they don't have to build and support phones anymore. They are practically a different company with the same name now.

That's saving the business, but he hasn't been able to save the BlackBerry that we once knew and loved.
    So he's doing exactly what he was hired to do. It isn't about you. It's about making Blackberry cash positive again. He wasn't hired for good feels.
    02-20-17 10:34 AM
    Their revenues are down because their business model has changed. Software licensing vs. $300-$500 per unit cell phones. Their overhead is also way down because they don't have to build and support phones anymore. They are practically a different company with the same name now.

So he's doing exactly what he was hired to do. It isn't about you. It's about making Blackberry cash positive again. He wasn't hired for good feels.
    When Chen got hired... the BlackBerry as we knew it was already dead, most just didn't want to accept it back in 2013.
    02-20-17 11:43 AM
    Blackberry will sell QNX happily to any company who makes a premium offer for it with an accompanying strategic growth plan...so long as that offer includes the rest of the company!

QNX is Blackberry's backbone. It would make no sense to separate QNX from the rest of Blackberry.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-17 11:48 AM
    You clearly have a lack of understanding in what QNX is. QNX is into so many different things and right now it is primed for the future. BlackBerry isn't going to sell it. QNX wasn't bought for BlackBerry 10 phones. Heck, realistically QNX had very little to do with phones in the grand scheme of things. Up your QNX knowledge game. - 35 Ways you interact with BlackBerry every day
    This^. QNX certainly wasn't purchased for use in BB10 specifically. Rather, they were able to use QNX in BB10 to their advantage. Currently QNX is in the infotainment systems of millions of automobiles, amongst other things. Even a cursory read on Wikipedia could provide some insight.
    02-20-17 12:27 PM
    Oh, I'm sorry. I wasn't aware that having an adjusted EBITDA positive for 12 consecutive quarters wasn't enough for you. Really, I apologize; I'm sorry if I somehow offended your notion that Blackberry isn't doing better than it has in years.

Posted via CB10
    I am astounded at peoples lack of knowledge on things such as this, and the comment you replied to. People have to differentiate their heads from their hearts. As a BlackBerry user and fan for the better part of 12 years I have been, and continue to be, sadden by the demise of BlackBerry's mobile division. But as a share holder in the company I like the direction that they are taking.
    02-20-17 12:33 PM
    Blackberry will sell QNX happily to any company who makes a premium offer for it with an accompanying strategic growth plan...so long as that offer includes the rest of the company!
    ...Posted via CB10
    Where are you getting this from? At the end of the day, JC has to do what is in the best interests of the shareholders. So if there is an offer out there that maximizes value to the shareholders, they will execute on it. And honestly, that is regardless of whether there is a strategic growth plan or not. If someone offered obscene amounts of money and said they are just going to use QNX to manage Trump's twitter account and nothing else, I don't think would qualify as a strong strategic growth plan, but that doesn't mean they won't take it.
    02-20-17 12:40 PM
    You buy a compagnie for future profits, not for past profits!

If one buy a compagnie for 1B and it makes 200M per year, the payback is only 5 years.... so assuming in 5 years you can sell it at 1B, then you just doubled your money. Try and find an investment that can double your money in 5 years.
    Don't you dare use logic here. People don't want logic, just to have their feelings acknowledged.
    02-20-17 12:43 PM
67 123