Since Blackberry has no further interest to further develop BB10, then QNX is just dead weight for Blackberry. If QNX is profitable, then that business unit will soon start to complain that money is flowing from their business unit into the unprofitable Blackberry Android venture.

Soon Blackberry will have to sell QNX as they have no longer use for it. The question is who is going to buy up QNX now?
    02-18-17 07:33 PM
    You clearly have a lack of understanding in what QNX is. QNX is into so many different things and right now it is primed for the future. BlackBerry isn't going to sell it. QNX wasn't bought for BlackBerry 10 phones. Heck, realistically QNX had very little to do with phones in the grand scheme of things. Up your QNX knowledge game. - http://www.qnx.com/company/35ways/
    02-18-17 07:35 PM
    Ummm. .. it's the platform for their software applications.

Posted via CB10
    02-18-17 08:01 PM
    Ummm. .. it's the platform for their software applications.
    I'd bet QNX is also used in BB Radar, their truck/container tracking system.
    02-19-17 12:53 AM
    You clearly have a lack of understanding in what QNX is. QNX is into so many different things and right now it is primed for the future. BlackBerry isn't going to sell it. QNX wasn't bought for BlackBerry 10 phones. Heck, realistically QNX had very little to do with phones in the grand scheme of things. Up your QNX knowledge game. - http://www.qnx.com/company/35ways/
    Sometimes I am completely baffled by how little knowledge people have on what's really going on; when it comes to Blackberry and many other things as well. Like how people chastise John Chen and Blackberry for axing the Blackberry hardware division and ending BB10 development even when faced with the facts, that as a business, Blackberry is now doing better than it was just a few short years ago.

Posted via CB10
    CNX66, BigAl_BB9900 and TGR1 like this.
    02-19-17 04:23 AM
    Sometimes I am completely baffled by how little knowledge people have on what's really going on; when it comes to Blackberry and many other things as well. Like how people chastise John Chen and Blackberry for axing the Blackberry hardware division and ending BB10 development even when faced with the facts, that as a business, Blackberry is now doing better than it was just a few short years ago.

Posted via CB10
    Last time I checked, they have made no profits during the last three years, diminished their cash reserves, and their revenues are ten times smaller.
    Luckily, they've still been selling old bb10 phones to maintain Chen's dream that, someday, they'll be a cash positive as a software company with 10 employees left and only some revenue from licensed IP.
    Without those bb10 phone sales during the last 2 years, BlackBerry would already be dead.

Posted via CB10
    techvisor likes this.
    02-19-17 08:26 AM
    Last time I checked, they have made no profits during the last three years, diminished their cash reserves, and their revenues are ten times smaller.
    Luckily, they've still been selling old bb10 phones to maintain Chen's dream that, someday, they'll be a cash positive as a software company with 10 employees left and only some revenue from licensed IP.
    Without those bb10 phone sales during the last 2 years, BlackBerry would already be dead.

Posted via CB10
    Oh, I'm sorry. I wasn't aware that having an adjusted EBITDA positive for 12 consecutive quarters wasn't enough for you. Really, I apologize; I'm sorry if I somehow offended your notion that Blackberry isn't doing better than it has in years.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-17 08:59 AM

Posted via CB10
    Welcome to CrackBerry, where quarterly statements are made up and facts don't matter.
    Carjackd, app_Developer and TGR1 like this.
    02-19-17 09:33 AM
    Oh, I'm sorry. I wasn't aware that having an adjusted EBITDA positive for 12 consecutive quarters wasn't enough for you. Really, I apologize; I'm sorry if I somehow offended your notion that Blackberry isn't doing better than it has in years.

Posted via CB10
    mumble mumble... hate you Chen... mumble mumble... analdroid... mumble mumble... hypervisor nougat runtime... mumble mumble... where 10.3.4...

Blackberry Poptart SE - Cricket Wireless
    02-19-17 10:11 AM
    I'd bet QNX is also used in BB Radar, their truck/container tracking system.
    Yes, I meant it is probably the basis of everything in their portfolio.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-17 10:14 AM
    Welcome to CrackBerry, where quarterly statements are made up and facts don't matter.
    While I also agree its a stretch to say BB10 device sales alone have kept them afloat...the company is still posting losses. We will only know for sure how well BlackBerry is really performing as a 'software' company once hardware has been shut down completely and both revenues and losses from the division are wiped off the balance sheet...
    02-19-17 10:23 AM
    Funny thing is, QNX is so used everywhere but BlackBerry isn't able to obtain a decent profit out of it...

Posted via CB10
    02-19-17 10:41 AM
    Funny thing is, QNX is so used everywhere but BlackBerry isn't able to obtain a decent profit.

Posted via CB10
    I'm pretty sure the profit is "decent" relative to the cost of the unit. Just because the number isn't huge, doesn't mean it is not decent.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-17 10:45 AM
    Funny thing is, QNX is so used everywhere but BlackBerry isn't able to obtain a decent profit out of it...

Posted via CB10
    Profit on the level of the QNX division or on the level of the company? Since while the division might be profitable, there's still the ball and chain of devices to worry about.
    02-19-17 10:49 AM
    Profit on the level of the QNX division or on the level of the company? Since while the division might be profitable, there's still the ball and chain of devices to worry about.
    Not anymore. Honestly, in 2017, devices is a terrible, low-margin business that hardly any new company would choose to enter. Blackberry is fortunate to have a much higher margin business to transition to. Once the hardware exit is off the books completely, we'll find out what kind of company Blackberry is.

I expect it will grow and rapidly be acquired by a major player in the next 3-5 years.

Posted via CB10
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    02-19-17 02:12 PM
    Yes, I meant it is probably the basis of everything in their portfolio.
    Well it's not part of BES/Good and likely not part of their new CPaaS. It is obviously a foundation for all of their auto business, and probably Radar and similar things.

QNX is now being focused on the things it's actually great for (i.e. not phones)
    02-19-17 02:46 PM
    From a business standpoint QNX is now a major portion of their portfolio since they have migrated into a software services company and I don't see them selling it anytime soon.
    BigAl_BB9900 likes this.
    02-19-17 04:57 PM
    This thread is ridiculous, people who think the qnx division was only for BlackBerry 10 devices are ill informed. They use qnx in so much more than the public will ever know. Why sell one of their best assets?

Posted Via Passport with CB10 app
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    02-19-17 06:19 PM
    Funny thing is that the OP knew that QNX powered the phones which meant they have read about it in the past, but had no clue how QNX is used everywhere else. Weird
    02-19-17 06:32 PM
    mumble mumble... hate you Chen... mumble mumble... analdroid... mumble mumble... hypervisor nougat runtime... mumble mumble... where 10.3.4...

Blackberry Poptart SE - Cricket Wireless
    I love your original post; even though it reads like a lot of other posts on this forum, lol.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-17 07:58 PM

Posted via CB10
    I guess for you spending 1B dollars to buy other software companies that have smaller than 200M revenues is called profit.

Posted via CB10
    techvisor likes this.
    02-19-17 10:53 PM
    Yes, silly BlackBerry! Purchasing the profitable QNX, allowing them to continue doing what they do best, and continuing to profit. How did they screw up their MO, and who's head should roll for such folly? /sarcasm
    02-19-17 11:43 PM
    Yes, silly BlackBerry! Purchasing the profitable QNX, allowing them to continue doing what they do best, and continuing to profit. How did they screw up their MO, and who's head should roll for such folly? /sarcasm
    Don't you know? Profitability is out, corporate martyrdom is in!
    02-20-17 01:27 AM
    You clearly have a lack of understanding in what QNX is. QNX is into so many different things and right now it is primed for the future. BlackBerry isn't going to sell it. QNX wasn't bought for BlackBerry 10 phones. Heck, realistically QNX had very little to do with phones in the grand scheme of things. Up your QNX knowledge game. - 35 Ways you interact with BlackBerry every day
    Yes but QNX is no longer a part of the core business of Blackberry. As Blackberry chenned BB10 it shows they no longer have a vision for QNX and it might be better if another company can take it over and promote QNX further. Automotive is now going from QNX instead of adopting it more. Apparently when it was owned by Harman it was more popular in the automotive industry so the company that owns QNX makes a difference.
    techvisor likes this.
    02-20-17 05:31 AM

Posted via CB10

It's doing better in terms of reducing cost. Am I not correct in saying that revenues are MUCH lower than a few years ago?
    02-20-17 05:34 AM
67 123