I haven't heard about a BBM desktop client either. But if they released one, it would be a game changer, imo.

Same as with Whatsapp. It will have to offer compelling features that Skype, Oovoo, Google Hangouts and Facebook Chat don't have. Or else, it's just another item that only the diehards will buy while the rest of the users stick with the software they already have.

With regards to Blackberyy, we may want to hold off on using phrases like "game changer", "iPhone killer", etc. Nothing has been done "game changing in a long time". Unless you count the Storm because that did change the game.... not for the better though.
    07-11-13 03:32 PM
    I think the assumption is that BBM on those platforms offers some compelling feature to make users switch and have try to get everyone else on the app and exchange information. That's not easy. People would much rather stick to what's already work if all things are equal. For instance, a couple years ago, I told my wife she should download Kik and use it to talk to people. She say "what does it do different that gtalk, whatsapp, AIM and YIM that I already have a barely use". I said "ummmmm". Then she said "how do you talk to people, need to get their info and add and stuff?" I said "yeah" She was like "no thanks". Now I do think a lot of people will use it and mostly those who use to have BBM and they've switched but again getting all your buddies to get on something is very taxing because they have to get all their friends and so on. It's actually almost easier to use facebook because everyone's on that LOL.

The thing about iMessage is that you don't have to add anyone or switch services and such. The system recognizes if the individuals both have iMessage and that's it. I used to have a bunch of 3rd party messaging apps. I have 0 right now. I don't count facebook because messaging is a feature built into to the app as I don't use the standalone app. Getting people to switch where they will also have to compel people to switch will be a very difficult thing to do. Again, this assume BBM for Android and iOS will be that much better than the alternative that are already out there.
    It changes constantly.
    scorpiodsu likes this.
    07-11-13 03:38 PM
    Same as with Whatsapp. It will have to offer compelling features that Skype, Oovoo, Google Hangouts and Facebook Chat don't have. Or else, it's just another item that only the diehards will buy while the rest of the users stick with the software they already have.

With regards to Blackberyy, we may want to hold off on using phrases like "game changer", "iPhone killer", etc. Nothing has been done "game changing in a long time". Unless you count the Storm because that did change the game.... not for the better though.
    Oh, I agree. It has to be solid when they release it, and have a good feature set to give people a reason to adopt it.

The KEY, imo? When they release it. If it's not a killer app from the beginning, it won't get traction. BlackBerry should be "investing" in BBM cross platform to make it a game changer in the way that the new BB10 devices weren't.

I say that as someone who loves the new platform, btw.
    07-11-13 03:40 PM
    Some fans keep claiming that BlackBerry is a leader in HTML5 development, and futhermore that web apps are the way to go for cross platform support. Through their actions BB obviously doesn't agree because BBM is a native app in BB10, and they are building native apps in iOS and Android as well.

If they want to be truly cross-platform, what's the desktop/notebook solution? Some are suggesting a desktop client? Why not have it run in a browser?

This is why I like Google Hangouts, why I liked Facebook messenger before that. It was truly cross platform because I could be IM'ing from the desktop browser in Windows/Mac/Linux, my tablets, and my phone.
    07-11-13 03:44 PM
    Oh, I agree. It has to be solid when they release it, and have a good feature set to give people a reason to adopt it.

The KEY, imo? When they release it. If it's not a killer app from the beginning, it won't get traction. BlackBerry should be "investing" in BBM cross platform to make it a game changer in the way that the new BB10 devices weren't.

I say that as someone who loves the new platform, btw.
    I'm with you. I don't want them to just release a "me too" device or program. I want them do something different AND better than the competition. Doing the same thing as others is not going to get a lot of converts. It'll just appease those that never left and those that love your brand. But when I switch back and forth between iOS and Android devices, it's because each platform offers something uniquely different than the other with good hardware to back it up and keep all my servicing in sync. I have 0 reason to try something else that doesn't do what these platforms do half as good and doesn't add something truly valuable to my user experience. Trust me, I've been waiting for that reason
    07-11-13 03:44 PM
    I'm with you. I don't want them to just release a "me too" device or program. I want them do something different AND better than the competition. Doing the same thing as others is not going to get a lot of converts. It'll just appease those that never left and those that love your brand. But when I switch back and forth between iOS and Android devices, it's because each platform offers something uniquely different than the other with good hardware to back it up and keep all my servicing in sync. I have 0 reason to try something else that doesn't do what these platforms do half as good and doesn't add something truly valuable to my user experience. Trust me, I've been waiting for that reason
    BlackBerry's achilles heel is cloud based at the moment. IE. you can sign in with your Google account and have Chrome remember your bookmarks, get your Gmail contacts / calendar and Google Now knows your preferences. On Apple you get similar, but less robust, functionality.

On BlackBerry, you get nothing. Ironic, considering BlackBerry (RIM) was one of the first to offer services that transcended personal service providers...

I think BlackBerry should offer a BES service on an individual subscriber basis. As part of the package you'd get your own personal @blackberry.com email address, encrypted email and cloud backup/protect/storage. I'd be willing to pay for that kind of security personally. BIS 2.0, if you will.
    07-11-13 04:04 PM
    you're on drugs.

why do you think that the general public will drop every app they are currently using to use BBM, when several apps already have duplicated the functionality and ease of use of BBM? BlackBerry was so absent for so long that they have been replaced. Whatsapp and kik, let alone iMessage are now firmly entrenched and provide an acceptable alternative.
    That's what they said about myspace when facebook came on the scene.
    07-11-13 05:07 PM
    Did I miss something? I haven't heard of plans for a PC/Desktop version of BBM in the works. I'd love it if there was, as I try to stick to messengers with PC/*nix compatibility, since IMHO nothing is truly cross platform without it.
    No there's nothing from BB I just think that it'd be a natural progression. Mobile computing right? So why not give people the ability to communicate from their laptops, tablets, etc? If BB transform emails it can transform messaging with BBM, and with BBM it can transform how we communicate and share information. It can be the ultimate communicating solution. The only reason I use emails is to send attachments but with BBM I can send it from my phone, with files that are at home on my computer.
    07-11-13 06:48 PM
    Like ms lync

Posted via CB10
    07-11-13 07:21 PM
34 12