Whatsapp today announced that they now have 7 billion inbound messages a day which is a 75% increase from August 2012. Anybody think that not having this app is still not a big deal is just kidding themselves.

For people who are on these forums no its not a big deal and we will just port the android version, but go out and talk to any one of your friends who aren't on these forums that you just need to port it over and they will look at you like you have 3 heads. Im not saying that the Blackberry team in charge of getting apps on BB10 is doing a bad job, but this is a pretty big app that should of definitely been on that list of 100 apps that need to be there on day 1. Everybody has seen how the news loves to kick companies when they are down and not having whatsapp on day 1 is a reason for them to do it.
    +10000

Sent from my unsliding slider BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    01-02-13 07:21 PM
    I don't use it, but if BB10 has it, I likely will. An app with this sort of cross platform penetration is a potential bellweather for the future of the ecosystem and it's viability.
    Sigh....
    I hope Mr. Saunders has got this one all locked up by now.
    Last edited by gjohnsto; 01-02-13 at 07:30 PM. Reason: clarity
    01-02-13 07:29 PM
    Whatsapp today announced that they now have 7 billion inbound messages a day which is a 75% increase from August 2012. Anybody think that not having this app is still not a big deal is just kidding themselves.

For people who are on these forums no its not a big deal and we will just port the android version, but go out and talk to any one of your friends who aren't on these forums that you just need to port it over and they will look at you like you have 3 heads. Im not saying that the Blackberry team in charge of getting apps on BB10 is doing a bad job, but this is a pretty big app that should of definitely been on that list of 100 apps that need to be there on day 1. Everybody has seen how the news loves to kick companies when they are down and not having whatsapp on day 1 is a reason for them to do it.
    Sorry but it means nothing
    Because messages can be send
    Like this,
    Just like downloads
    Having a high number in messages in this type of service
    Probes nothing
    The only "actual proof" they can give you
    It's number of active subscribers.
    And guess what?
    They won't EVER give you that.

See? That's 10 whatsapp messages, and I know a LOT of people who talks like that.
    BB12MX likes this.
    01-02-13 07:51 PM
    Sorry but it means nothing......
    And again this is the attitude that will cause BB10 to fail. The supporters who feel that if Blackberry does not have it they don't need it.

I have been a blackberry user for over 15 years, my next phone may or may not be a blackberry and it will depend on what I hear on the 30th. App support is crucial, and the major apps may not be enough as it is often the small local apps that I find the most useful and more and more those are apple / android only.
    01-03-13 10:13 AM
    Hahahahaha

No. I just mean is not as big deal as some of the people here claim it is.

I DO use Whatsapp and I would like if the app is there on launch, but I assure you that if the app isn't there that won't affect my decision over getting a Z10 as soon as I can.

About the 7 Billions messages a day... It means nothing, I'm sure that BBM has that much, even more, daily too, and you, and everyone here knows, that BBM only has up to 70 millions active users. That's the ONLY number that matters. The other ones can be bloated way too easy to be useful.

70.000.000 users x 100 messages/day = 7000.000.000 there you have it.

And I, which don't use whatsapp that much, send a LOT more than 100 messages a day. Can you see now why it means nothing?
    01-03-13 11:36 AM
    I must be in the dark..I have never heard of whatsapp
    01-03-13 11:41 AM
    Hahahahaha

No. I just mean is not as big deal as some of the people here claim it is.

I DO use Whatsapp and I would like if the app is there on launch, but I assure you that if the app isn't there that won't affect my decision over getting a Z10 as soon as I can.

About the 7 Billions messages a day... It means nothing, I'm sure that BBM has that much, even more, daily too, and you, and everyone here knows, that BBM only has up to 70 millions active users. That's the ONLY number that matters. The other ones can be bloated way too easy to be useful.

70.000.000 users x 100 messages/day = 7000.000.000 there you have it.

And I, which don't use whatsapp that much, send a LOT more than 100 messages a day. Can you see now why it means nothing?
    You're way off. Firstly BBM only has about 50m users (not all of BB users have a plan that can use BBM or something) and assuming 100 messages per user every day is ridiculous. A lot of BBM users don't have that many people to talk to, let alone to talk to that much. I maybe managed it a year ago when my gf had a BB but nowhere close any more. I think I read somewhere BBM manages 1bn messages a day, more than iMessage but nowhere near whatsapp.
    01-03-13 05:15 PM
    100 million downloads doesn't mean anything(I personally installed it on 10 devices but never chatted, I use viber most of the times)
    Good point. Could also include repeat downloads (ie. a newer version comes out) to the same user. I've downloaded it on three and never used it much either. But I've got friends who swear by it and use it daily. Many of them still say it sucks next to BBM but it does the trick of reaching non-BB users well. Of all the BBM-Like apps that cross-platforms, Whatsapp has emerged as the leader and should be there.
    01-03-13 05:26 PM
    Whatsapp almost certainly has more active users. Google Play's link to Whatsapp shows an install base of 100 million to 500 million; they don't report exact numbers. Even if you assume that there were 100m installs and 50% of those users used the app regularly, that's 50 million users. Not including users on BB7, iOS, Symbian and Windows Phone.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...51bGwsMSwyLDNd
    01-03-13 05:31 PM
    You're way off. Firstly BBM only has about 50m users (not all of BB users have a plan that can use BBM or something) and assuming 100 messages per user every day is ridiculous. A lot of BBM users don't have that many people to talk to, let alone to talk to that much. I maybe managed it a year ago when my gf had a BB but nowhere close any more. I think I read somewhere BBM manages 1bn messages a day, more than iMessage but nowhere near whatsapp.
    Its not the case in ASEAN countries which explains the high volume of low end BB sold.
    Even schoolchildrens use bbm and whatsapp to chat with their friends.
    As for me and my colleagues, I safely say that each of us could surpass 300++ messages per day thru bbm INCLUDING bbm group chat.
    Of course for those who only have one or two friends in bbm would see this impossible, but for us that have more than 200++ bbm users in our contact list it's common.
    We always have discussion using bbm or whatsapp (for those who are not on  ).
    Like myself, I have 280 bbm contacts from colleagues to clients and government officers. And more than 500names on whatsapp out of 1000+ contacts on phonebook.
    And before you guys ask my work, I safely say I'm on sales and financial consultancy firm. That explains the contacts.

Whether whatsapp will be or not be on BB10 is still pending to launch day. But I can be sure that Z10 will be in my hand when its available. Even if I have to carry another android for whatsapp alone.
    Attached Thumbnails Whatsapp will not be on blackberry 10-capturenux-202013-01-04-2007.49.23.jpg  
    BB12MX likes this.
    01-03-13 06:15 PM
    You don't have contacts in your BBM then you assume everyone else is the same?

I exchange about 300 messages a day with my girl ALONE over BBM. If I were to count other people, well the number will go up to almost... Well maybe 500.

But AGAIN the number of messages it's USELESS to gauge how "important" an IM app is. The number of downloads doesn't work either. Those numbers can be bloated very easily. That's why I say those numbers are useless.

The real important one is the number of actual active users. If some people over here want to believe otherwise, well so be it.
    Last edited by FRG_RC; 01-03-13 at 11:30 PM. Reason: a correction.
    01-03-13 07:54 PM
    I think Whatsapp is over rated. I like Voxer way better on my SGSIII and iphone. Will BB10 support Voxer? That would be rocking!!! I can talk way faster than I can type and use Voxer for communicating with friends and family out of Country and overseas. Whatsapp is very weak compared to Voxer.

I bet lots of people here have not heard of Voxer but you will. You heard it here first!!!

Voxer
    01-03-13 09:24 PM
    I think Whatsapp is over rated. I like Voxer way better on my SGSIII and iphone. Will BB10 support Voxer? That would be rocking!!! I can talk way faster than I can type and use Voxer for communicating with friends and family out of Country and overseas. Whatsapp is very weak compared to Voxer.

I bet lots of people here have not heard of Voxer but you will. You heard it here first!!!

Voxer
    never heard of it, but is it compatible with current BB?
    btw, my replacement app that i like a lot currently is wechat. outstanding overall.. and i just like how you can continue chatting over pc.. albeit that function is currently not on BB (yet).

01-03-13 09:35 PM
    This thread is comical. I don't use Whatsapp and probably never will, but anyone who thinks missing any of the top 10 apps isn't an issue is way off.
    01-03-13 10:17 PM
    An issue? Yeah sure, just not a BIG ONE as some people over here seem to believe.

A BIG ONE would be, in example, not having Facebook/Twitter that have a loooot more of ACTIVE USERS than Whatsapp and BBM combined.
    01-03-13 11:25 PM
    Whatsapp processes 18 billion messages on New Years Eve. Some of those were mine!!

WhatsApp processes record 18B messages on New Year's Eve | Internet & Media - CNET News
    01-03-13 11:49 PM
    You don't have contacts in your BBM then you assume everyone else is the same?

I exchange about 300 messages a day with my girl ALONE over BBM. If I were to count other people, well the number will go up to almost... Well maybe 500.

But AGAIN the number of messages it's USELESS to gauge how "important" an IM app is. The number of downloads doesn't work either. Those numbers can be bloated very easily. That's why I say those numbers are useless.

The real important one is the number of actual active users. If some people over here want to believe otherwise, well so be it.
    No I wasn't saying that just because I now send few BBM messages other people do too, I was just saying for every person that does send lots of BBM messages there will be others who send very few. TBH I don't send anywhere near as many messages as I used to on any messaging platform as now I'm working I don't have the time compared to when I was at uni. But I think we're agreeing anyway that whatsapp handles far more messages than BBM anyway.
    01-04-13 11:40 AM
    For the record, the last published number for 'active BBM users' is 60 million, not 50 million.

Now back to bickering about the merits of WHATSAPP.
    01-04-13 11:47 AM
    No I wasn't saying that just because I now send few BBM messages other people do too, I was just saying for every person that does send lots of BBM messages there will be others who send very few. TBH I don't send anywhere near as many messages as I used to on any messaging platform as now I'm working I don't have the time compared to when I was at uni. But I think we're agreeing anyway that whatsapp handles far more messages than BBM anyway.

My girlfriend and I work too, we talk that much over BBM at night because we can see each other in the day that often.

I wasn't arguing about who does has more active users, my point was about this idiocy of "it has X numbers of messages a day!" As an argument on Whatsapp's importance.

My other point was that not having whatsapp at launch can be an issue but no a big one. Some people over here seem to believe that its service is kind of a "deal breaker" for a lot of people, my opinion on that is that It is not.
    01-04-13 07:10 PM
    My girlfriend and I work too, we talk that much over BBM at night because we can see each other in the day that often.

I wasn't arguing about who does has more active users, my point was about this idiocy of "it has X numbers of messages a day!" As an argument on Whatsapp's importance.

My other point was that not having whatsapp at launch can be an issue but no a big one. Some people over here seem to believe that its service is kind of a "deal breaker" for a lot of people, my opinion on that is that It is not.
    The question with a lot of these apps is not whether it is a deal breaker for you, me or any random person but whether the media and consumers generally see it as a failure of BB10 to have a solid app base.
    01-04-13 07:40 PM
    If BlackBerry wants to drop a showstopper, they would announce that BBM will be available to the android market and the app store when unveiling at the end of this month. They should release a watered down version that is just a pure messenger while the video/voice/screen share features can be exclusive to BlackBerry. The sheer branding of BBM would overcome Whatsapp's market share.

I am a Windows phone user and Android user since I left BlackBerry and the only thing I wish it had is BBM. Even though Whatsapp is an excellent messenger, I just had so many good memories with BBM but one feature is not enough for me to switch from the awesomeness of Android.
    Plazmic Flame likes this.
    01-04-13 07:52 PM
    If BlackBerry wants to drop a showstopper, they would announce that BBM will be available to the android market and the app store when unveiling at the end of this month. They should release a watered down version that is just a pure messenger while the video/voice/screen share features can be exclusive to BlackBerry. The sheer branding of BBM would overcome Whatsapp's market share.

I am a Windows phone user and Android user since I left BlackBerry and the only thing I wish it had is BBM. Even though Whatsapp is an excellent messenger, I just had so many good memories with BBM but one feature is not enough for me to switch from the awesomeness of Android.
    I love the idea, but wont happen I think. it will take sales away from RIM and their new handsets. People will continue to buy Android and Iphone for the app selection and then they will get BBM on it also which makes it an even better proposition. Although BBM is not the only selling point of the BB phone it is a selling point and making BBM available for other platforms takes that selling point away from BB10.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    01-04-13 11:30 PM
    I love the idea, but wont happen I think. it will take sales away from RIM and their new handsets. People will continue to buy Android and Iphone for the app selection and then they will get BBM on it also which makes it an even better proposition. Although BBM is not the only selling point of the BB phone it is a selling point and making BBM available for other platforms takes that selling point away from BB10.

+1.
    but still we could not put aside the idea that RIM needs whatsapp to push sales even further. although it's not the breaking point for me, it still is necessary especially when i don't want to lose my 500++ contacts on whatsapp.

01-04-13 11:49 PM
    +1.
    but still we could not put aside the idea that RIM needs whatsapp to push sales even further. although it's not the breaking point for me, it still is necessary especially when i don't want to lose my 500++ contacts on whatsapp.

Oh, I fully agree with you. i also have 200+ contacts on whatsapp and use it on a daily basis for work. if it is not on BB10 at launch I am just going to sideload the app. Whatsapp will be there later if not at launch.

01-05-13 12:31 AM
    The solution is BBM going cross platform. Really hope they unveil something about this on January 30. Whatsapp is on a tear right now but BBM still has brand power and releasing an app on the other platforms would do them more good than bad.

I think it should be a one time fee of $0.99 and it shouldn't be too watered down from the BB10 version.

They would make a serious dent in the IM arena.

We shall see what happens!
    01-05-13 05:41 AM
230 ... 78910