All these Apps threads are pointless. Whine after Jan 30th if your precious Apps are not there .Frankly who cares about whatsapp there are far better ones out there.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    12-30-12 02:37 PM
    All these Apps threads are pointless. Whine after Jan 30th if your precious Apps are not there .Frankly who cares about whatsapp there are far better ones out there.
    Lazaridis and Balsille famously stated that apps are unnecessary.....that all is needed is a browser. And inexplicably continued to sell Blackberries with browsers that lagged pitifully behind the iPhone and the up and coming Android devices. As far as today, the browser on my 9900 is disgraceful when placed next to my 4S or my SGIII. That is one of the reasons I gave up on the 9900 and now moved to my SGIII as my primary device.

The idea that apps are pointless led to an inability to react which ultimately resulted in people moving away from BB. In droves. RIM's single digit market share is a testament to the lunacy of that statement.

Listen to the radio. Watch TV. Read a newspaper. Read a magazine. All you see if "Find our app in iTunes" or "Find our app in the Google Play Store." Coincidentally, those two companies virtually own the smartphone market. Coincidence? Really?

If you think apps are pointless you are taking a cue from Balsilles and Lazaridis. And look how that turned out.

I suggest you evolve in your thinking. The smartphone market left the Middle Ages somewhere around 2009....

This is a "new RIM." It will leapfrog the competition, as Balsille and Lazaridis said. Therefore, it had best meet the consumer's needs/desires/wants for apps.
    12-30-12 03:08 PM
    What I find amusing, is all of the Berry users saying "What is Whatsapp, I have never heard of it, so who would need it." Well, I guess I am not surprised. Berry users are only 5% of the market. I guess Whatsapp is satisfied with the prospects of the other 95% using their product.

Attachment 128918
    actually many Berry users enjoy the use of WhatsApp. and I personally, as well as many people i know with BlackBerry use WhatApp quite frequently, if not more than BBM.

I'm really hoping to see it come to BB10 after all, and use up the Cascade and native interface, but if it doesnt make it way, there is always using the android port.
    12-30-12 03:16 PM
    Lazaridis and Balsille famously stated that apps are unnecessary.....that all is needed is a browser. And inexplicably continued to sell Blackberries with browsers that lagged pitifully behind the iPhone and the up and coming Android devices. As far as today, the browser on my 9900 is disgraceful when placed next to my 4S or my SGIII. That is one of the reasons I gave up on the 9900 and now moved to my SGIII as my primary device.

The idea that apps are pointless led to an inability to react which ultimately resulted in people moving away from BB. In droves. RIM's single digit market share is a testament to the lunacy of that statement.

Listen to the radio. Watch TV. Read a newspaper. Read a magazine. All you see if "Find our app in iTunes" or "Find our app in the Google Play Store." Coincidentally, those two companies virtually own the smartphone market. Coincidence? Really?

If you think apps are pointless you are taking a cue from Balsilles and Lazaridis. And look how that turned out.

I suggest you evolve in your thinking. The smartphone market left the Middle Ages somewhere around 2009....

This is a "new RIM." It will leapfrog the competition, as Balsille and Lazaridis said. Therefore, it had best meet the consumer's needs/desires/wants for apps.
    U really can't say it any better than that but we know being reasonable with the fanbois (not talking about anyone specifically) of this site just doesnt seem to work well. Apparently RIM not having the major apps is ok because RIM apparently has no faults. Reading these forums, one would think BB's have all the best apps....just not the popular ones because the excuse is always we either don't need it, or we already have better.

I love Crackberry
    12-30-12 06:34 PM
    RIm still has a chance if they do well with BB10, especailly apps part. that is they they delayed bb10 so they can get more apps, polish the OS. As Jim and Base said smartphone market is still infancy and there are millions people out there with feature phones who will be forced to switch over to smart phone....their choise Apple,..too expensive for some..Anroid, BB10 or Windows..whoever offers better social media and typing will win..simple is that
    12-30-12 07:21 PM
    Lazaridis and Balsille famously stated ... (blah, blah, blah)... Therefore, it had best meet the consumer's needs/desires/wants for apps.
    Wow, nerves are wearing really thin around here. I guess people are just impatiently waiting for BB10.
    All SparkyBC said (accurately) was that these threads are useless until we get the truth Jan. 30th
    jakie55 likes this.
    12-30-12 08:33 PM
    It needs to be there on launch, its available on every other platform. Even if you don't use it or know what it is all the major apps need to be there!
    12-30-12 08:45 PM
    Hence wait till Jan 30th. Not ONE company is going to tell anyone on a forum or otherwise a APP will be there on BB10 if RIM is speaking about it at launch. SKYPE, Netflix, Whatsapp. Each and everyone of these companies will tell you they are not making one or will see how things shake out as a generic answer. Not a yes not a no, because frankly anyone on a forum on twitter ETC are NOT in the NO.

Even the twitter prophet claiming to have a pulse inside rim. But just feeds on articles to re barf as his own secret informant.

Patience you only need to wait a month to hear the Truth.
    Steve Rizla likes this.
    12-30-12 09:27 PM
    Yup lol...on Jan 30th, theres either gonna be a lot of surprised, or disappointed people lol
    12-30-12 09:44 PM
    You know what, anytime some says, "hey, I want [x] app on BB10!", just point them here:

Port To BlackBerry 10
    12-30-12 09:56 PM
    U really can't say it any better than that but we know being reasonable with the fanbois (not talking about anyone specifically) of this site just doesnt seem to work well. Apparently RIM not having the major apps is ok because RIM apparently has no faults. Reading these forums, one would think BB's have all the best apps....just not the popular ones because the excuse is always we either don't need it, or we already have better.

I love Crackberry
    I'd say it is a pretty good balance here which is kind of scary since this is a "fan" based site. For every blind fanboy there is another former BB user turned detractor that have little to no desire to move back to BB and honestly I can't blame them.

Back to the post that originated this reply, it is pretty useless to constantly complain about a belief or statement that a certain app won't exist on BB10. Some companies are hush due to launch day announcements while other are waiting to see if BB10 can gain traction. If it can show to be a viable platform, the apps will come.

In regards to the title of this thread, I have WhatsApp on both my OS7 Torch and my OS2 Playbook so to think it won't be on OS10 at all doesn't seem realistic.
    pantlesspenguin and Pdinos3 like this.
    12-30-12 10:00 PM
    Read slowly you maybe semi retired but clearly JAN 30th was mentioned...What did you bring besides trolling?
    No, my PIN is semi retired, I'm not. And since you didn't care, and your opinion is that other Apps are superior, and this is about WhatsApp and not your opinion, my commentary on your post is right on. Beware of whom you call troll, especially when guilty of the behavior. I do not have to read slowly, my comprehension is fine, and I've known about the date for quite a while, my comment didn't refer to any date you mentioned. You brought nothing but snark, and it wasn't even good snark. This is why I quoted your post, not any others.
    Last edited by BergerKing; 12-31-12 at 01:16 AM.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    12-31-12 01:02 AM
    actually many Berry users enjoy the use of WhatsApp. and I personally, as well as many people i know with BlackBerry use WhatApp quite frequently, if not more than BBM.

I'm really hoping to see it come to BB10 after all, and use up the Cascade and native interface, but if it doesnt make it way, there is always using the android port.
    Even with an Android port, a lot of folks I know would prefer the native support, if anything, just to be able to keep updated as an app evolves. I've seen a host of improvement since I first downloaded it 9 or so months ago, and now the app does things that weren't available then. Bigger groups, built in wallpapers, etc. It is an app that would help transition back to BB, as even though I would regain BBM, I would also like to have the crossplat capability as well. I tried several of the crossplats early, and didn't like them near as much.
    12-31-12 01:10 AM
    So, I want apps, I need apps, and we need to let BlackBerry know what apps we need....and we have done a great job of that. I HOPE they have gotten the message. IF they haven't, there is nothing more we can do about it, and we might as well look for other devices, as RIM is not long for this earthly plane. Just saying....and I am a loyal BB fan. All the hand wringing in the world will not change the situation.
    12-31-12 01:42 AM
    So, I want apps, I need apps, and we need to let BlackBerry know what apps we need....and we have done a great job of that. I HOPE they have gotten the message. IF they haven't, there is nothing more we can do about it, and we might as well look for other devices, as RIM is not long for this earthly plane. Just saying....and I am a loyal BB fan. All the hand wringing in the world will not change the situation.
    Many of these developers do get feedback from this, and other sites. That feedback comes in many forms. Last year, MLB was one of the culprits, almost thumbing their noses at the BB community while cuddling up to Windows. The hue and cry built to a crescendo, as more and more BB and CB members hammered out their frustration with being hung out to dry. Eventually, the tipping point was achieved, they relented, and BB got MLB. But without the churn, would they have backed down?
    12-31-12 02:14 AM
    Wow, nerves are wearing really thin around here. I guess people are just impatiently waiting for BB10.
    All SparkyBC said (accurately) was that these threads are useless until we get the truth Jan. 30th
    My nerves are fine. Pointing out facts appear to grate on others'.

I was addressing the poster's 2012 assertion that thread about apps are pointless, and drawing a parallel between that statement and the kind of thinking that got RIM in the disaster it created for itself. That there are people still echoing those sentiments, when faced with the results of that myopic thinking, is astonishing.

Maintain the status quo, assert how apps are unimportant, and Blackberry will cease to exist in the U.S. market. I've got these apps on my SGIII and my iPhone. I already know my way around those platforms. If BB cannot survive in the U.S. market I've got my transition well in place. But I want BB to remain viable, for very personal and also for professional reasons.
    Last edited by qbnkelt; 12-31-12 at 03:13 AM.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    12-31-12 02:58 AM

It's NOT the end of the world if whatsapp is NOT there for launch. So quit getting your nose out of joint. The company is playing stupid plain and simple..
    you can be damn sure if its not, then rival platforms will be using that to their advantage.
    So whatever you feel about the app personally, you're wrong about that statement.
    regardless of wether whatsapp comes along later, most people will only go by their first impressions, and if BB10 comes across as light on apps, well we wont be growing
    12-31-12 11:30 AM
    [WARN]Either the squabbling and insults stop HERE or participants will be enjoying New Year's Day with "Banned" next to their avatar.
    No more warnings... just action[/WARN]
    12-31-12 12:01 PM
    You are correct. I HAD it on my phone but once Bridge texting came around I decided to try the sideloaded version so I could use the Playbook for BBM, SMS, well everything. To be fair, I found that my use of these tools was less than 200 per month and stopped using WhatsApp altogether so I definately wouldn't consider myself a great source for its functionality.
    Gotcha lol. I deleted it off my 9900 cause it absolutely killed my battery life. My 9900 died in 5 hours someday with that app installed. So it's been on my Playbook for awhile but it recently just stopped working. It says that the version is too old or something like that. This is why i don't think people can really use sideloading as a option to get these apps on our devices. It's possible yes, but most the time, the performance isn't there or its just more work than it should be.

I TRULY hope whatsapp is there at launch. We deserve a native version
    12-31-12 12:41 PM
    Feel free to continue letting WhatsApp (or any Dev you want. . .) that you would like their app to be on BB10 here:Port To BlackBerry 10 . . .it's easy and it can't hurt to try . . .
    12-31-12 12:46 PM
    My nerves are fine. Pointing out facts appear to grate on others'.

I was addressing the poster's 2012 assertion that thread about apps are pointless, and drawing a parallel between that statement and the kind of thinking that got RIM in the disaster it created for itself. That there are people still echoing those sentiments, when faced with the results of that myopic thinking, is astonishing.

Maintain the status quo, assert how apps are unimportant, and Blackberry will cease to exist in the U.S. market. I've got these apps on my SGIII and my iPhone. I already know my way around those platforms. If BB cannot survive in the U.S. market I've got my transition well in place. But I want BB to remain viable, for very personal and also for professional reasons.
    Your logic is confused.
    "The kind of thinking that got RIM in the disaster it created for itself" was the thinking that apps are not necessary at all.
    "The poster's 2012 assertion that thread about apps are pointless" is not at all parallel. He is right in saying that crying about missing apps at this point is useless until we know which apps will be available and which won't. We won't know that until Jan. 30th.
    Proclaiming that you are pointing out facts is what I find astonishing.
    12-31-12 03:30 PM
    O.k. I just read the article in the blogs.
    Really? Can't people just use SMS if the person they are contacting doesn't have BBM? Or am I missing something?
    Sounds like a lot of people just come to CrackBerry for their daily dose of drama.
    The idea is to be able to have group chat. With SMS it's all about one-on-one talk. And i seriously doubt they won't support BB10. There is no reason. They probably just don't know about getting it ready for launch.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    12-31-12 03:34 PM
    The idea is to be able to have group chat. With SMS it's all about one-on-one talk. And i seriously doubt they won't support BB10. There is no reason. They probably just don't know about getting it ready for launch.
    Yeah, I can see the group chat thing being an advantage.
    You could be right about it being there at launch. It really is pointless for people to get upset about missing apps before they are announced.
    Bring on Jan. 30th!
    astraith likes this.
    12-31-12 03:39 PM
    Your logic is confused.
    "The kind of thinking that got RIM in the disaster it created for itself" was the thinking that apps are not necessary at all.
    "The poster's 2012 assertion that thread about apps are pointless" is not at all parallel. He is right in saying that crying about missing apps at this point is useless until we know which apps will be available and which won't. We won't know that until Jan. 30th.
    Proclaiming that you are pointing out facts is what I find astonishing.
    Heeding this......

[WARN]Either the squabbling and insults stop HERE or participants will be enjoying New Year's Day with "Banned" next to their avatar.
    No more warnings... just action[/WARN]
    12-31-12 03:54 PM
    Even with an Android port, a lot of folks I know would prefer the native support, if anything, just to be able to keep updated as an app evolves. I've seen a host of improvement since I first downloaded it 9 or so months ago, and now the app does things that weren't available then. Bigger groups, built in wallpapers, etc. It is an app that would help transition back to BB, as even though I would regain BBM, I would also like to have the crossplat capability as well. I tried several of the crossplats early, and didn't like them near as much.
    An Android port would be an easy first step. I'm sure the whatsapp people have stats breaking down the number of users they have on each platform. If an Android port proved to be successful then I think we would see a native version follow eventually. I really don't blame devs for taking a wait a see approach. For all wee know RIM has not courted whatsapp because they are planning to take BBM cross platform. Now wouldn't that be something.
    12-31-12 04:18 PM
230 ... 56789 ...