I dont understand the panic. If you insist using this crappy service, sideloading takes about 5 min.The Androidapp. works okay on the PB.
    Knightcrawler likes this.
    12-16-12 12:07 PM
    I dont understand the panic. If you insist using this crappy service, sideloading takes about 5 min.The Androidapp. works okay on the PB.
    The panic is made up by those who wish to create panic. They are anti-rim people who pretend to be BB fans and yet cry , complain and kick and scream about everything. If you no longer wish to buy BB10 because of whatscrap please don't buy and leave CB....Of course this would never happen since they have a vested interest be it short RIMM shares , ex-rim employees who are angry and of course those android and ios fanboys who are misguided with alot of time on their hands.
    12-16-12 12:20 PM
    The panic is made up by those who wish to create panic. They are anti-rim people who pretend to be BB fans and yet cry , complain and kick and scream about everything.
    I read this on crackberry.com. Not sure I'd refer to the crackberry.com staff as "anti-RIM".
    12-16-12 12:24 PM
    The panic is made up by those who wish to create panic. They are anti-rim people who pretend to be BB fans and yet cry , complain and kick and scream about everything. If you no longer wish to buy BB10 because of whatscrap please don't buy and leave CB....Of course this would never happen since they have a vested interest be it short RIMM shares , ex-rim employees who are angry and of course those android and ios fanboys who are misguided with alot of time on their hands.
    Except I AM going to buy at least one BB10 device. And as a user, I want the functionality WhatsApp provides so that I can communicate with 99% of my contacts in a manner similar to BBM.
    And the whole point of this new OS is to bring something that will increase the number of users to regain lost position.
    Apps have been RIM's Achilles heel. To regain lost ground, apps are needed. A commercially viable product.
    Or we could stay as is and continue to slip further into irrelevancy.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    12-16-12 12:32 PM
    Guys. Calm down, it will come to bb10. Unless they want to lose millions of customers
    12-16-12 12:44 PM
    The real issue here isn't about using sms or whether you personally care about whatsapp or not. For us BB users, bbm is pinnacle of messaging, but nearly everyone on ios and DROID uses whatsapp as their bbm. Not having this at launch is one more reason (no matter how crappy and unsecure) for ios and DROID users to not switch to bb10. For that reason alone rim needs to convince them to develop for bb10.
    12-16-12 12:45 PM
    [email protected] . . .let them know if you want it. . .and while your at it. . .
    Netflix: Offer Support for RIM Blackberry Devices
    http://www.change.org/petitions/netf...medium=twitter
    Hulu: Allow a Hulu Plus app for BlackBerry Playbook and BB10
    http://www.change.org/petitions/hulu...medium=twitter
    and. . .
    Pandora�: Bring App Support to the Blackberry 10 Platform:
    http://www.change.org/petitions/pand...medium=twitter
    . . .Visit this thread if your interested in contacting other devs . . .http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...m-know-756442/
    I can make a petition for Whatsapp but the emails should do it just fine. . .
    Knightcrawler likes this.
    12-16-12 01:30 PM
    If you really want it email to [email protected] and complain..no complain to whasapp, no complain here plz
    12-16-12 02:32 PM
    Lots of people saying no big deal or its just some random messaging app are wrong. Millions use Whatsapp and since its cross platform I actually have more contacts on my whatsapp than my bbm. This is actually a big deal if bb10 doesn't have it.
    12-16-12 02:50 PM
    I complain. and you can bet your a** I'm NOT anti-RIM. My son just wrote me a BBM that he won't upgrade if WhatsApp isn't on BB10. Is he anti-RIM? for sure NOT.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using the CrackBerry forum app
    12-16-12 03:04 PM
    I complain. and you can bet your a** I'm NOT anti-RIM. My son just wrote me a BBM that he won't upgrade if WhatsApp isn't on BB10. Is he anti-RIM? for sure NOT.

Inform your son that he can sideload it, thanx to bb10s super awesome android player. Until such time as whatsapp develops a native app (which im 100% certain will happen in 2013), sideloading the android app will suffice.
    12-16-12 03:10 PM
    We both know.
    But who want's a crappy Android version? I'm not sure...
    But thank you anyways.

12-16-12 03:25 PM
    I want WhatsApp to become available on BlackBerry 10. And I think, now that CB has covered this, BB Dev Relation team will be go after WhatsApp team and help them create an app for BB 10. Lots of users want it.

The reason WhatsApp is popular is because it's available on all platforms that have a reasonable number of users. If they omit BlackBerry 10 as one of their supported platform, their whole selling point (of being a corssplatform messaging app) fades away. Some other messaging platform (eg: Kik) will start supporting BB 10 and become the new WhatsApp. I am sure WhatsApp will realize this very quickly. If not, BB 10 users are going to ask their friends to download this new cross-platform app (whatever it turns out to be, as a replacement for WhatsApp) and before you know it, WhatsApp will be dethroned.
    12-16-12 03:26 PM
    Who the cares about whatsapp I only ever contact 1 orange phone user.It is not a great service to begin its decent at best its flaws are just too big to ignore.There's quite a few msg apps much better and text msg being 1 lol.And this thing is not on BBM level period.We really do not care if whatsapp does'nt come over its there loss amount of millions that will go somewhere else they'll be back developing asap as we all know we aint loosing anything here its them lossing a huge user base.I use whatsapp for 1 contact I can easily afford to text that person so meh.

IT IS NOT RIMS FAULT IF DEVS DO NOT WANT TO CREATE APPS OR PORT OVER TO BB10. This app whinning is boring can there just be a universal cry thread of apps not being on BB10 at launch??People really should accept that apps will not be available at launch if not ever because not enough users,not enough resources any other excuse by teh devs.It really is simple devs are either in on this bb10 venture or out ,If you out we got no love for you.A replacement is easily waiting to take your position when 1 falls another rises.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    12-16-12 03:39 PM
    I'm not sure that I understand what all the fuss is about frankly. I use BBM and SMS for my non-BB friends. I looked at the whatsapp app some time ago and felt it was a waste of time. It seems to me that if I had wanted to use it, every one of my friends would have had to install it too - no? On the other hand, SMS is standard on all the handsets that friends have - and BBM is standard on all my friends with a BB.

Now I may have misunderstood how that app works. It wouldn't be the first time. However I do get so tired of the mentality of having to download and install a new app for every darn thing one wants to do. Why not use what's already baked in? Oh I know ... "everybody has it so I want it and I want it now because it's the most important thing in the world".

Really? Someone won't upgrade if some app that is a security breach waiting to happen isn't there? Really?
    Jake Storm likes this.
    12-16-12 03:52 PM
    . . .People really should accept that apps will not be available at launch if not ever because not enough users,not enough resources any other excuse by teh devs.It really is simple devs are either in on this bb10 venture or out ,If you out we got no love for you.A replacement is easily waiting to take your position when 1 falls another rises.
    Any word on that replacement? Anyone willing to fill this "gap" Whatsapp will leave? I didn't think so. . .I still think the best move is to reach out to these devs in HUGE numbers. . .I still think BB users are some of the most loyal to their brand and if devs see this they will be more likely to at least consider it. . .it can't hurt to try. . .a couple thousand emails might change their mind. . .or not. . .
    [email protected] . . .let them know if you want it. . .and while your at it. . .
    Netflix: Offer Support for RIM Blackberry Devices
    http://www.change.org/petitions/netf...medium=twitter
    Hulu: Allow a Hulu Plus app for BlackBerry Playbook and BB10
    http://www.change.org/petitions/hulu...medium=twitter
    and. . .
    Pandora�: Bring App Support to the Blackberry 10 Platform:
    http://www.change.org/petitions/pand...medium=twitter
    . . .Visit this thread if your interested in contacting other devs . . .http://forums.crackberry.com/blackbe...m-know-756442/
    chrysaurora likes this.
    12-16-12 04:03 PM
    I really wanna know if Apple or Samsung (Droid) paid WhatsApp for that move -to block people switching (back) to Blackberry!

I'm sure, especially Apple is kinda afraid of BB10! It has all to look Apple "old"! Also their stocks and selling numbers (of the iPhone) are going down. And with BB10 iOS will be the oldest OS out there!

Besides that I think RIM should license their BBM to other plattforms (with limited functions).
    If people get a feeling how much better BBM is over WhatsApp it could be a hit!
    Until to this date I thought it would be a bad thing to do that - but now I'm sure it would be better to show WhatsApp-people - whats BBM is...
    anon(3310921) likes this.
    12-16-12 04:11 PM
    making the argument that using sms is a viable alternative is not an opinion as sms is not the same thing. would you compare bbm to sms? no. its an incorrect analogy, not an opinion.

Plz think before you post.
    Wow, you are sure cranky. In my opinion SMS is a viable alternative to BBM when I'm sending a message to any of my contacts not using BlackBerry.
    Did I say it was the same as BBM? No.
    Did I say it was better than BBM? No.

I'm also of the opinion that, like myself, many people have never even heard of Whatsapp until this thread started, and that it will have little effect on the sale of BB10 devices if it's available for that platform or not.

If that bothers you, or you have different thoughts on the subject, then that's your opinion... and you are entitled to it.
    I won't tell you what you should think, but maybe you should think before you come off sounding like an arrogant az.
    12-16-12 08:03 PM
    I'm sure that will go over well, champ.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    Well, the people i really care about (family, girlfriend), ill buy them a brand new BB, the others can buy their own. I have unlimited local and international calls and sms anyway, so not that desperate to chat. Come to think of it, except when im chatting with my girl, most of the messages i get are silly broadcast jokes.
    12-17-12 02:55 AM
    Let's remember that the idea is to win consumers back. The goal is to regain market share. That does not happen is we don't provide buyers with enough incentive to come back. And, again, given the reality of today's market share, most people are using messaging alternatives other than SMS.

Whether or not I care about a particular app....Netflix, Skype, Pandora.....consumers do. If they've got two phones in their hands and they are making a choice, BB has to do what it can to pull them towards BB. Software, hardware and app support are needed.

I am not a huge app person. But the ones I do use are ones I want at launch. I've got almost no BBM contacts anymore, so I use WhatsApp. Not everyone has unlimited SMS, not everyone has a PB to sideload from Android. Remember that the idea is to reach out to those who have left to come back in order to increase market share. Catering only to current BB users does not increase market share. Some of you don't care about WhatsApp. OK. Consumers who will be buying devices do. I don't care about Netflix. OK. Consumers who will be buying devices do. To increase marketshare BB has to listen to what those who will be increasing their marketshare want.

In 2012, apps matter A LOT.
    BergerKing, ubizmo and pillswoj like this.
    12-17-12 03:19 AM
    In all honesty, while Whatsapp is a great app, and I have used it several times, let's not assume it is Whatsapp making the decision. BB10 is going to be the flagship
    OS that, in some circles of thought, will make or break RIM. That being said, I have read about several security issues around Whatsapp, and it's possible that RIM
    has made the rules around this, not Whatsapp.

If that's the case, then I applaud RIM for standing their ground and basically saying, "It's our way or the highway".

If not, then it comes down to Whatsapp getting pressure from "other" manufacturers in order to try and sabotage RIM's launch
    of BB10.

Either way, one app is not going to make or break the launch or subsequent sales....it's not about what a BB can't do....but what it CAN do,
    especially when other systems can't.

If Whatsapp makes it to BB, then great....if it doesn't, then I'm willing to bet that it's a better bet for RIM.
    12-17-12 03:28 AM
    Correct.
    One app won't make or break.
    Will the absence, in the aggregate, affect sales? Current RIM position would suggest that app support is one of the things that plays into it.
    And again, the goal is to reverse current trends. To the majority of smartphone owners, apps are a consideration.
    I already use WhatsApp. What RIM carries has no immediate impact on me personally. But do we really want to say it's not important, given RIM's single digit marketshare?
    It's about giving consumers as few reasons as possible to buy something other than a BB.
    Apps matter.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by qbnkelt; 12-17-12 at 05:40 AM.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    12-17-12 04:21 AM
    i agree.
    i have basically almost the same amount of friends on whatsapp and on bbm. most are on whatsapp. but then again, i wouldn't say i have a good experience with whatsapp. they make crappy app to begin with. try hard to imitate bbm but in the end doesn't have the same fluid and easiness of a bbm. my whatsapp group is laggy. it does save our chat, and if you delete chat, you won't be able to retrieve last months of chatting. they all gone.
    although 245 on bbm and more than 350 on whatsapp, including relatives and clients, i don't mind losing whatsapp if whatsapp think that BB10 doesn't deserve their app.
    I'll just make do with what's alternative app i could use. I'll just visualize my life pre-whatsapp.
    it won't be a deal maker to advance to BB10..

Sent from my unsliding slider BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    12-17-12 05:31 AM
    you know... i really love blackberry, and as i said.. im super excited for bb10

but im tired of all these people being butthurt and saying "WhatsApp sucks anyway"
    it doesn't, it's a great app... there's a reason why millions of people use it

"BBM better" - yeah unfortunately 95% of my friends use iphone/android, so BBM really isn't an alternative
    SMS, seriously? who writes sms frequently nowadays? i use SMS for a few people, sure... but really.. everyone uses WhatsApp

and all this "WhatsApp security breach" trashtalk... seriously? you make it sound like it's the worst app available and that it's completely unsafe to use it....
    SO many of my friends use WhatsApp.. and they dont use BBM, because as i said - they use iphones or android phones
    and sms really is no alternative.. most people over here still have to pay like 20cents for SMS, do you know how quickly that would add up if i were to write SMS with all of my contacts?
    people don't care for sms-flats anymore.. because we got WhatsApp

and all this "bugs", "it crashed everytime" trashtalk... nice exaggeration.. guess im the only person who has yet to experience such problems
    i love BlackBerry, but i need WhatsApp.. people rely on it and if it's not available on BB10 that's a big problem, at least for me - and many others..

WhatsApp is like the new SMS... and could you imagine your old dumbphone without SMS? i dont think so
    Last edited by Seijuro; 12-17-12 at 12:10 PM.
    12-17-12 05:46 AM
    I was at a Children's Museum yesterday. Tons of people had their phones out snapping pictures of their kids (which is another story. I saw maybe two point and shoot cameras, the rest were using their phone's camera. Amazing how things have changed). and every single phone I saw was an iPhone. Seemed to be a mix of the 4, 4s, and 5. Here I was with my 9930 and even though I did not see everyone's phone, I bet I was in the minority.

The iPhone users were mix of mothers, fathers, grandparents, and teenagers. Perhaps some of these people use Whatsapp, perhaps not. Let's say some of those iPhone Whatsapp users want to switch to Blackberry 10 and Whatsapp is an important app to them. They go to switch to BB10 and find out Whatsapp isn't there, what will they do? Sure, us here on CB and across the tech sector can do a sideload. But what about your average iPhone user? Surely they wouldn't wait an undetermined amount of time for a native BB10 Whatsapp app, but a lot of people don't want to wait especially if it is upgrade time. You can replace Whatsapp for any other app that is important to someone and could be sideloaded. Some people will do that, but not enough to make an impact IMO.

RIM needs a good, quality, comprehensive app 'ecosystem' to survive and make an impact going forward. hat is the way the smartphone market is in 2012 and 2013 and beyond. Sadly, that is the way it is. Thorsten has said they want to be #1, and not just filling the #3 role in the smartphone realm. You can say 'I don't use Whatsapp/Netflix/Skype/etc, so Blackberry will be fine without it' , or 'Just sideload the Android app', or 'I have tried Whatsapp/Netflix/ Skype and it isn't anything special. No big deal if Blackberry doesn't have it.' but those statements are not necessarily true.
    12-17-12 11:53 AM
230 ... 34567 ...