Not very productive, but you did ask

@SlcCorrado: "@CrackBerry: Whatsapp confirms they will not be supporting BlackBerry 10 - This is not good!" No, its great. @WhatsApp sucks. Good riddance

Just my opinion though
    Don't hold back. Tell us what you really think.
    12-16-12 07:17 AM
    I don't see how they could not continue to support BlackBerry. I'm sure Bb users are a large portion of their userbase. They said at the moment, its 45 days away, the app could be ported in a few minutes. Nothing to get too worked up about.

That being said, I hate whatsapp on my BB. It is a poor implementation. It is very laggy and cumbersome and slow on my 9900. Only got it for a few non BB friends, but to tell the truth when the 1 year expires in July of next year, I won't be renewing. I'm banking on BlackBerry 10 exploding as a platform pulling enough people for me to use bbm video with them all. Either way, I don't like whatsapp.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    12-16-12 07:19 AM
    Unless I've missed it, SMS doesn't allow groups. WhatsApp does, just like on BBM.
    On my BB9900 I can make groups from my address book and add numbers to that group from my contacts. I can then select the Group in the Address Book and send a SMS to the entire group just by one click.
    But I guess you already knew that .
    Edit: of course, I would incur charges separately for each member of the group.
    12-16-12 07:26 AM
    Honestly, Skype, Netflicks, Whatsapp, all these huge brand apps that everyone seems to live and die for... I don't need.

If whatsapp doesn't want to support BB10. It's their loss. I don't see why someone wouldn't want to get their name to as many platforms as possible.
    Jake Storm likes this.
    12-16-12 07:27 AM
    Honestly, Skype, Netflicks, Whatsapp, all these huge brand apps that everyone seems to live and die for... I don't need.

If whatsapp doesn't want to support BB10. It's their loss. I don't see why someone wouldn't want to get their name to as many platforms as possible.
    I wouldn't go as far as saying I don't need but I don't need them on my phone.

Whatsapp tells me I have lots of friends that use their app, except when I try to contact them nobody's responding.

I wonder just how many users they really have, are they counting everybody that had at some point installed the app?
    12-16-12 07:31 AM
    hmm. I use whatsapp a lot, but what the ****. I'll be telling my friends: "wanna talk to me, get a freakin BB...".
    I'm sure that will go over well, champ.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    12-16-12 07:39 AM
    On my BB9900 I can make groups from my address book and add numbers to that group from my contacts. I can then select the Group in the Address Book and send a SMS to the entire group just by one click.
    But I guess you already knew that .
    Edit: of course, I would incur charges separately for each member of the group.
    I was referring to non-BB users who have a similar experience to BBM groups.
    12-16-12 08:05 AM
    WhatsApp not being available at launch for BB10 is worse than WP8 not having a native Facebook app.
    A major blow :-(
    When you consider the relative userbase sizes of facebook and whatsapp, that is quite simply ludicrous hyperbole.
    12-16-12 08:13 AM
    Im a HUGE bb supporter, i just looove blackberry, and i really want bb10 but i find it hard to keep on supporting. I only have friends with iphones en androids lately, and they all use instagram. I think its much cooler than twitter. Instagram is big and popular right now, its soooo important to have that on the new bb. Its not just a photo app, its a online community like FB and twitter.

And the worst part. BB10 not having whatsapp. Thats a freakin joke, and im so disappointed. Its like having a phone without sms or BBM. We just CANT have a phone without whatsapp right now. It makes it so hard for me to keep blackberry alive for myself.

I was so excited for the blackberry 10 and i was promoting it die hard to my friends, but they only will laugh their asses off without instagram and whatsapp.
    12-16-12 08:32 AM
    I have about four people i message on whatsapp. I could live without it. Bbm is higher quality, although not cross platform. With that being said i still beleiev this is really the first "strike" against bb10. The first major thing failing at launch. I wouldnt call it a nail in the coffin but its very bad. People keep saying well teres better ones, LINE is better, kik is better etc "so ill just get those". Well good luck trying to get all non bb users to get those.

Even james has "this is not good" in the title of the blog post when it first went up but has since been told by kevin or someone to take that part out.
    12-16-12 08:34 AM
    To Be honest they gonna change there mind they probaly hiding the fact there already made a app for BB10 and Rim is keeping them secret for 30th Jan.
    Probably yes, but probably not. IF they have the BB10 app planned for the 30th or even considering it their response would have been something like "We can't comment on future or non released projects" or similar. Their reply was purely psychological, letting you know they don't have the app (truth), at the moment (candy for the crying kids). That's how I see it .

I personally hope it gets developed because I know a lot of people that have WhatsApp.
    12-16-12 08:51 AM
    It's a matter of simple current reality.
    Between Android and iOS, there is over 70% marketshare for non BB devices. That is a 70% marketshare for whom BBM is not an option. This group will find alternatives.
    In my personal experience, I've got *one* loved one on BBM. Personally, I carry multiple devices on multiple platforms simply because I'm a geek. But most people don't. WhatsApp is a cross platform solution. A "new RIM" would understand that reality and obtain cooperative support for its users who want those options.
    It's about choice. It's about increasing its user base.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    12-16-12 09:03 AM
    Does anyone else think that the reason might be due to hidden surprises in BBM? Maybe we'll be able to message other services natively x)
    12-16-12 09:18 AM
    Does anyone else think that the reason might be due to hidden surprises in BBM? Maybe we'll be able to message other services natively x)
    THAT would be brilliant.
    AND to be able to message FROM those other apps INTO BBM.

I would dance salsa on the Capitol lawn if that were to happen.....
    12-16-12 09:20 AM
    I think people are forgetting a few things:

A) Not all carriers have unlimited SMS packages. As a matter of fact its unheard of in MANY countries and using SMS can get quite expensive. As an example, I pay 7 cents per text message for recipients on the same carrier, and almost 10 cents/msg for people who use a different carrier. My monthly sent messages (whatsapp/bbm) are way in the thousands...do that math.

B) People do have friends/relatives who live abroad. International texting is not free and is costly.

C) Not everyone has a Blackberry, and we do not have Skype.

D) Whatsapp has become one of (if not) the leading texting app.

Personally, I think the app itself is pure junk. As a matter of fact, I cannot remember one day that passed by that I haven't complained about how bad of an app it is. IMO, BBM is a far superior app and just works SO much better, and if I had a choice to ditch Whatsapp I would do it in a heartbeat, but the circumstances mentioned above do not allow it. So in conclusion, it's a crap app that unfortunately is dominating at the moment and BB10 needs it.
    12-16-12 09:49 AM
    Not sure about other places in the world, maybe its different in Canada, Ireland or the UK. For us in the USA on the major carriers an international (and for us International is anywhere not USA, that includes Canada and Mexico) SMS costs .25 every time you send one. Get in a conversation and that cost adds up quickly. BlackBerry is the phone for folks who do no? Businessmen and women with overseas customers need a cross platform messaging application. Our customers/suppliers tell us which ones they are using and I put them on the phone (I have a BB and an Android). I have Viber because I have 2 suppliers that use it. I have BBM because I have more overseas contacts right now than I do USA contacts. And I have WhatsApp because currently 25 people I speak with out of the USA tell me that's what they want to use.

I am certain I am not the only businessman in the USA who uses WhatsApp for that purpose and it's absence from BB10 would mean I have to keep 2 phones - something I was hoping would not be the case going forward.
    bodjor likes this.
    12-16-12 09:57 AM
    O.k. I just read the article in the blogs.
    Really? Can't people just use SMS if the person they are contacting doesn't have BBM? Or am I missing something?
    Sounds like a lot of people just come to CrackBerry for their daily dose of drama.
    Well, would you use SMS if you had the option to use BBM? Whatsapp is as close to cross platform BBM as you can get right now.
    12-16-12 10:13 AM
    I emailed whatsapp just to see what response I would get. This didn't answer my question but It leads me to believe it will be there. If not at launch then a little later on just like WP8 which wasn't there at launch but got it yesterday i think. anyhow this is what they sent me which didn't answer my question but they have their own issues.

Hi,

*** We are currently experiencing an issue with "last seen at" notifications. We are working on a resolution. Thank you for your patience! ***

Thank you for contacting WhatsApp. You can delete your own account from inside the WhatsApp application. For security and privacy reasons we can not delete your account on your behalf through the support channel. You can find instructions on how to delete your account here:

iPhone: WhatsApp FAQ - How do I delete my account?
    Android: WhatsApp FAQ - How do I delete my account?
    BlackBerry: WhatsApp FAQ - How do I delete my account?
    Nokia: WhatsApp FAQ - How do I delete my account?
    Windows Phone: WhatsApp FAQ - How do I delete my account?

Please note that if you are switching to a new handset, simply install WhatsApp on your new phone - deleting your account is not necessary in this case.

If this response does not answer your questions, our apologies. In this case, please respond to this email so that we can help you.

Thank you.
    12-16-12 10:31 AM
    Really? Not even an attempt on an Android port on a dev alpha device? Wow, that's lazy. Well not surprising, they didn't even try for the Playbook. This is sounding like to many arrogant developers out there (I'm not going to name names but I'm sure you know who am I'm writing about here).
    I find it funny that some are already using it successfully on the playbook - like beta testing for them and still no port? Has anyone tried to side-load it to the BB10 alpha device and have it work?.. is that even possible?
    12-16-12 10:37 AM
    it would be launched for bb10.
    sooner or later but it would eventually.
    and they have to
    12-16-12 10:58 AM
    Strange Reply. Not relating anyway
    12-16-12 11:07 AM
    That's not the same thing as a BBM group. Can you have a group event with a calendar appointment? Can you share photos and comment on them? Can you make a list of tasks and assign it to the various members?
    12-16-12 11:14 AM
    That would be amazing. Kinda like BBM does SMS now, but I think that would much harder for them to implement. Either way it would go a long ways in keeping people with BBM
    jshah13 likes this.
    12-16-12 11:37 AM
    Does it matter? I have been using Blackberry for 7 years and the first time I ever heard a word about Whatsapp, and I had to search the Apps for it, was when a friend had a BB stolen and migrated to Samsung. I do not know the merit of Whatsapp but I guess they may be the loser if they do not join a winning team. I am not suggesting that BB 10 will be a winner. Far from it. But the BB addicts, including me, wont give a damn on Whatsapp so long as the messaging in BBM is intact.
    12-16-12 11:49 AM
    For everyone saying "big deal...there are alternatives": good luck converting ALL your Whatsapp contacts to whatever alternative you choose. This is a dealbreaker for me, and unfortunately, I can't buy a BB10 device until I see the app released (no...not a "we promise it's coming", not a mock-up on a screen)
    12-16-12 12:02 PM
230 ... 23456 ...