It also supports groups....so I'm on a group that formed when some of us started getting devices other than BB.

It's more than just SMS.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    Yes, precisely. I currently have a group where i keep in touch with friends based on toronto, london, dubai and calgary. If all those people were on bbm, i wouldn't care but they haven't yet seen the light, so whatsapp is the next best option, even though its a pathetically mediocre version of bbm.

Thankfully though, we have the sideloading option. Gotta say, ability to run android apps is BRILLIANT. Good call Rim.

I honestly believe that we'll see whatsapp come to bb10 within 2013.
    12-15-12 10:00 PM
    Hello, I'm Anastasiophan and I don't use whatsapp. Now you know at least one person that doesn't use it.
    Haha OK one now
    12-15-12 10:04 PM
    This is a bad news. I use Whatsapp a lot. I hope Viber will be there but I prefer Whatsapp.
    bodjor likes this.
    12-15-12 10:09 PM
    I happen to use Whatsapp also. I also plan to upgrade to BB10 once it comes out. So I really hope they make Whatsapp. Eventually if not on launch.
    12-15-12 10:33 PM
    i personally hate whatsapp. i just hope that bbm begins to get licensed to other platforms. its not even funny how much better it is then other messaging services on the market right now. kick was the alternative, but ever since they got heat from blackberry, they have had a hard time making a come back.
    12-15-12 10:44 PM
    I don't use Whatsapp.

But since RIM has stated that they Have Top companies building apps for BB10 I bet they Have to keep this a secret. I mean RIM has to keep things close to the chest.

I believe it will be Well worth it come January 30th and that they Won't fail the consumers. Thor and his team know what the public wants, I'm sure that they will Not disappoint.
    12-15-12 10:48 PM
    I don't use this App but BB10 needs to be as complete as possible. It is as simple as that. We all know RIM knows that, perhaps better than all of us. I would expect the company would either have this "top" apply or an alternative at launch. I guess we'll see.
    12-15-12 11:23 PM
    well, as mentioned on thread title,
    this could be a NEWS or RUMOURS.
    it could be news from the blog to send rumours to gauge peeps reaction on how well received whatsapp to the community.
    and might as well rumour it so that rim can surprise everyone with BIG apps which will be native in BB10.
    as Adele says, 'Rumour has it'

Sent from my unsliding slider BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    12-15-12 11:45 PM
    For all we know, and who is to say that app developers were told not to say anything as of to what may or may not be on BB on launch. Could be one of the reasons why when someone contacts them to inquire about it, they are told that currently there are no plans on making an app for BB10. Could all be part of RIMS strategy or secrets on release day
    12-16-12 12:01 AM
    Oh well....have no clue what it does or doesn't do....not an issue for me if the app is available on bb10...I will be upgrading to bb10 as soon as I can.
    12-16-12 12:04 AM
    People need to stop using the argument that "you can just sms" or "i've never heard of it".

Its not simply about communicating a message, it's a utility app. It provides a vale beyond just delivering a bunch of words. Its like saying bbm is the same as sms.....you're comparing apples and oranges.

As i said in my last post, its a far cry from bbm and i detest using it to be perfectly honest, but its the only way to keep in touch with my friends who are all on different paltforms, therefore it is a must have app for me.

Again though, as much as i'd like to see a native app (and believe one will eventually come), as long as i can sideload it, im a happy camper.
    12-16-12 12:19 AM
    People need to stop using the argument that "you can just sms" or "i've never heard of it".

Its not simply about communicating a message, it's a utility app. It provides a vale beyond just delivering a bunch of words. Its like saying bbm is the same as sms.....you're comparing apples and oranges.

As i said in my last post, its a far cry from bbm and i detest using it to be perfectly honest, but its the only way to keep in touch with my friends who are all on different paltforms, therefore it is a must have app for me.

Again though, as much as i'd like to see a native app (and believe one will eventually come), as long as i can sideload it, im a happy camper.
    People have to stop having an opinion that differs from yours?
    You making the rules now?
    12-16-12 12:23 AM
    I currently use Skype on my 9930 for international IM and have tried Whatsapp but had issues with it so deleted it. I have some friends who use Viber, and like it, but I've never tried it. I could care less myself as I don't personally know anyone using Whatsapp but apparently many do. That being said, I'm betting that if it doesn't come to BB10 some enterprising dev will come up with a good cross-platform IM app that will do the job. It would be a no brainer for guaranteed sales for BB10 devices.
    12-16-12 03:35 AM
    I use whatsapp so much , I hope they support BB10 next year
    12-16-12 03:44 AM
    People have to stop having an opinion that differs from yours?
    You making the rules now?
    making the argument that using sms is a viable alternative is not an opinion as sms is not the same thing. would you compare bbm to sms? no. its an incorrect analogy, not an opinion.

Plz think before you post.
    12-16-12 03:50 AM
    I currently use Skype on my 9930 for international IM and have tried Whatsapp but had issues with it so deleted it. I have some friends who use Viber, and like it, but I've never tried it. I could care less myself as I don't personally know anyone using Whatsapp but apparently many do. That being said, I'm betting that if it doesn't come to BB10 some enterprising dev will come up with a good cross-platform IM app that will do the job. It would be a no brainer for guaranteed sales for BB10 devices.
    how about viber?
    there's an option for whatsapp... i know some of my friends using viber because of the wifi calls and the cross-platform.
    we could just ask viber whether theyre doing a BB10 in the 'forever unupdated thread' .
    heck. I'll just ask straightaway then.
    lol.

Sent from my unsliding slider BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk
    12-16-12 03:53 AM
    This is a BIG blow for BB 10. This is the kind of apps that are needed at launch.
    I hope they change their mind, or hope RIM would offer them some money ( Like Microsoft )
    Whatsapp is NEEDED if people are to switch to BB 10
    Sad sad sad news
    12-16-12 04:52 AM
    In Europe, especially Germany, WhatsApp simply ist a must have, one of the standard applications a lot of people are using, if you like it or not. And don't forget, we are talking about cross plattfrom communication, BlackBerry 10 as THE communication device without WhatsApp is unthinkable in my opinion.
    I don't understand their decision, and RIM should do everything to persuade them to go for the new platform.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using the CrackBerry forum app
    Seijuro and bodjor like this.
    12-16-12 05:33 AM
    In Europe, especially Germany, WhatsApp simply ist a must have, one of the standard applications a lot of people are using, if you like it or not. And don't forget, we are talking about cross plattfrom communication, BlackBerry 10 as THE communication device without WhatsApp is unthinkable in my opinion.
    I don't understand their decision, and RIM should do everything to persuade them to go for the new platform.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9790 using the CrackBerry forum app
    Whatsapp is also huge in Asia PAC and if the app isn't on BB 10 it may have an impact on the size of the Splash RIM makes in that region with the new platform. I hope Alec and his team are on it because not having the number on cross platform messaging app would be a glaring hole in the app catalog and hurt early reviews as well.
    bodjor likes this.
    12-16-12 06:00 AM
    hmm. I use whatsapp a lot, but what the ****. I'll be telling my friends: "wanna talk to me, get a freakin BB...".
    Knightcrawler likes this.
    12-16-12 06:10 AM
    WOW....how did we ever manage before things like Whatsapp? LOL
    12-16-12 06:11 AM
    WhatWho???

Got it. Never use it. Not going to miss it
    Just like BBM.

Use SMS. It's universal.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    12-16-12 06:30 AM
    WOW....how did we ever manage before things like Whatsapp? LOL

I used BBM. With 99% of my contacts now on other devices and with the group functionality in WhatsApp, we now use the app to stay in touch where we used to stay in touch through BBM.
    12-16-12 06:32 AM
    WhatWho???

Got it. Never use it. Not going to miss it
    Just like BBM.

Use SMS. It's universal.

Tim

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850
    Unless I've missed it, SMS doesn't allow groups. WhatsApp does, just like on BBM.
    12-16-12 06:34 AM
    SMS doesn't allow groups but MMS does, it's pretty easy, not that I use it much.
    12-16-12 07:04 AM
230 12345 ...