Why do we use whatsapp and not just use SMS. I have never really got into whatsapp so can someone explain the benefits of whatsapp over sms?

#BBFactCheck
    09-29-14 09:38 AM
    You can send files other than just pictures. You don't have to pay for a texting plan (if texting isn't bundled, especially international texts.) You don't have to worry about roaming charges from overseas, as you can use IM on WiFi or a local, hopefully inexpensive SIM with a data plan. Oh...and emojis. Those are a thing now.
    00stryder likes this.
    09-29-14 09:42 AM
    Isn't this just like someone asking why use BBM and not SMS?
    09-29-14 02:02 PM
    It's a good question. Personally, I currently have unlimited texting local and international.

I use Bbm mostly due to bbm channels these days.

Couple years back, I had no Internet on my phone but free bbm. So bbm was good to text with local and far away friends without they knowing my phone number.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 02:13 PM
    @rello well I guess you don't have a clue what Is sms and bbm!
    Whatsapp use your cell number so there you have it. Simply as that.

To the first response on my post. Thanks for taking your time typing. It is true if you contact people from overseas but i don't know where you live but north America carriers are now offering world wide texting for a very small cost. I regards to that you have mms for pictures as well. Anyhow I think it is a little funny for people I know uses whatsapp when they are living in the same city. I mean people left sms texting technology for something work the same.

#BBFactCheck
    09-29-14 02:43 PM
    To reply #4, thanks for your comments. Where I live i have unlimited texting worldwide for an extra $3 a month. I mean if you don't need data on your phone then what the hell. It is pretty blindly because all your friends uses then you will.

#BBFactCheck
    09-29-14 02:50 PM
    @rello well I guess you don't have a clue what Is sms and bbm!
    Whatsapp use your cell number so there you have it. Simply as that.

To the first response on my post. Thanks for taking your time typing. It is true if you contact people from overseas but i don't know where you live but north America carriers are now offering world wide texting for a very small cost. I regards to that you have mms for pictures as well. Anyhow I think it is a little funny for people I know uses whatsapp when they are living in the same city. I mean people left sms texting technology for something work the same.

#BBFactCheck
    Oh no, I know what Whatsapp is (as i use it), but didn't know you were questioning it from the perspective that its based off of phone numbers. Im in the U.S. and nearly every plan offered comes with unlimited texting, so that kind of takes the motivation of downloading any IM for a lot of people but like other posters said, its easier to send files, videos and pictures easier through IM's like Whatsapp. Things like groups and voice calls also make the experiences far better than SMS.
    09-29-14 03:07 PM
    I like sms cuz it doesn't use data. In Canada most people have unlimited texting and that is 98 per cent of messaging I and most people do that I know of.

Posted via CB10
    09-29-14 03:23 PM
    To the first response on my post. Thanks for taking your time typing. It is true if you contact people from overseas but i don't know where you live but north America carriers are now offering world wide texting for a very small cost.
    I live in the US, and while my carrier has bundled international texts for free, I'm not on one of those plans. But also think about the recipients: would replying back to your or my text be just as inexpensive for them as it would be for me or you to send it? Also think about roaming charges. Texting domestically may be free to you while you're in Canada, but what about when you're overseas and need to text back home to Canada? You could get charged roaming for those texts.

I regards to that you have mms for pictures as well.
    Right, but these IM programs can do way more than just pictures. Take BBM for example, which is what I use. You can send video clips, location, short voice clips, and via BBM voice and video--available on BB10 only--even voice chat! Plus it's got that D/R system which tells me if my message has been read. Aside from voice and video and D/R, I think Whatsapp can do all the other things as well--I can't say for sure because it's not my cup of tea. I'm not about to give Facebook access to my contacts.

Anyhow I think it is a little funny for people I know uses whatsapp when they are living in the same city. I mean people left sms texting technology for something work the same.
    If they are not using Whatsapp for anything more than SMS or MMS locally, then yeah it's kinda pointless to have Whatsapp over carrier based texting. Like I said, I don't have a texting bundle. It's pointless to me when I'm already paying for a data plan on a smartphone and can do the same things (and more) with BBM. I think carriers have come to this realization as well--that SMS is no longer a cash cow--so they are bundling it or giving it away for next to nothing now.
    Rello likes this.
    09-29-14 03:23 PM
    I agree with Raino. If all people are goign to do is literally just text through whatsapp, then they literally can just SMS cause its probably bundled in their plan. Groups, videos, location sharing, calls through the app all contribute to making whatsapp much better than SMS ever has been, which is why they nearly give SMS away now
    09-29-14 03:40 PM