I could be wrong, but it seems obvious in a "common sense" way to me they're collecting & saving the information it retrieves.
    If 2 users have it installed and 1 of them deletes the application, what happens 1-2-4-6-12 months from that point when the user re-installs the program? From what I've read, as long as you retained the same phone number/name/contact information, the application scans it's servers and picks right up where it left off. So, to me that means the information is actually retained for future reference. How else does the application/servers "remember" who is on it or uploaded contacts previously to them.

I never used the app for my own personal security concerns, whether right or wrong, so I have no personal knowledge except from what I read from it's own pages and developer posts.
    01-28-13 02:52 PM
    But your contact list and their phone numbers is displayed unless you opt out of it.
    Yes, but only if they, your FB friends, have signed up with FB, not if they haven't.
    01-28-13 02:53 PM
    Like the NFL app requiring that I give it access to my location or else I can't use the app....*uninstalled*
    the location i can see a use for, because they need to blackout games (which i dont agree with, but that is a different story). but some apps, the nhl one, ask for location but you can deny it and it will still work.
    01-28-13 02:54 PM
    I could be wrong, but it seems obvious in a "common sense" way to me they're collecting & saving the information it retrieves.
    If 2 users have it installed and 1 of them deletes the application, what happens 1-2-4-6-12 months from that point when the user re-installs the program? From what I've read, as long as you retained the same phone number/name/contact information, the application scans it's servers and picks right up where it left off. So, to me that means the information is actually retained for future reference. How else does the application/servers "remember" who is on it or uploaded contacts previously to them.

I never used the app for my own personal security concerns, whether right or wrong, so I have no personal knowledge except from what I read from it's own pages and developer posts.
    Actually no.

I am notorious for changing phones.

Each time I change from the iPhone to the Android I have to get the code and it runs my phone book.

Every single time

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    01-28-13 02:55 PM
    Actually no.

Each time I change from the iPhone to the Android I have to get the code and it runs my phone book.

Every single time

That's funny. I don't change phones often atall. And its not because I don't have money.

Why would someone keep changing devices? Why is that?
    01-28-13 02:58 PM
    Actually no.

Every single time

Like I said, I could be wrong...
    But again, where does it get the contact information (or know what contacts are still recognized), unless they scan their servers for previously stored information and juxtapose that with your address book?
    01-28-13 02:59 PM
    But again, where does it get the contact information (or know what contacts are still recognized), unless they scan their servers for previously stored information and juxtapose that with your address book?
    Dang, I don't remember the exact wording. I'd have to delete it and start over.

I do know that each time I change phones I have to get a code again.
    01-28-13 03:13 PM
    I think you're 100% right, out of some 30 or so users that were supposed to have Whatsapp only a couple were actually active last time I installed it.

And some people here seem to forget one big point, they broke the law, yet they keep making excuses for them.
    01-28-13 03:13 PM
    Yes, but only if they, your FB friends, have signed up with FB, not if they haven't.

Tell you what...test this for me.....

Delete FB. Reinstall.
    It asks you if you want to share your contacts with Facebook. If you do, their phone numbers will show and will be available to your friends.

Within the app on your desktop, in the privacy settings, you have to opt out of this. Otherwise, your FB contact list's phone numbers will show on your FB.
    01-28-13 03:16 PM
    The difference is, is that everyone on your friends list signed up with FB and therefore, gave them whatever information they have decided to enter. They haven't got any information on any of my contacts in other area's that aren't on FB. With WhatsApp, even those who have not signed up, have inadvertantly had there info given to the app. Huge difference there.
    Facebook sends unsolicited emails to non-users saying " do you know x, y, and z." I've gotten such emails (I don't use facebook, but I do know and have emailed the x, y and z they were asking me about in the past.)

Edit: found said email in my trash, so it's no longer a question whether facebook sends these emails. Lucky for them, I'm neither Dutch nor Canadian.
    Last edited by raino; 01-28-13 at 04:30 PM.
    01-28-13 03:17 PM
    So we find out about a company breaking the law and our solution is to point out other companies that might be breaking the law instead of being mad at the one that got caught?

That just takes the biscuit!
    01-28-13 03:20 PM
    Dang, I don't remember the exact wording. I'd have to delete it and start over.

I do know that each time I change phones I have to get a code again.
    I think that makes sense, but in the way of app activation.
    Then it would also make sense to me that if you change phones it would automatically scan your address book for any differences or changes in your contacts such as deletions or additions.

That is not really what I'm referencing.
    I am saying that the developers of WhatsApp appear to STORE contact information on their servers it was previously provided in order to "link" your current contacts (on what ever phone) with those they have already with that same information. No?
    01-28-13 03:23 PM
    So we find out about a company breaking the law and our solution is to point out other companies that might be breaking the law instead of being mad at the one that got caught?

That just takes the biscuit!
    I believe a lot of companies breaks the law.
    But if they get caught, they should be punished, and i hope whatsapp will get punished.

But it wont affect them, this will be a huge non issue for the vast majority of consumers, so dont expect people to quit whatsapp in droves
    01-28-13 03:24 PM
    If 2 users have it installed and 1 of them deletes the application, what happens 1-2-4-6-12 months from that point when the user re-installs the program? From what I've read, as long as you retained the same phone number/name/contact information, the application scans it's servers and picks right up where it left off.
    It's possible that upon re-install the app rescans the address book and populates the contact list that way.

I personally am not 100% sure that they save any contact information, and the reason is one of my biggest pet peeves about this app: when contacts drop off (uninstall the app, lose a data plan, etc.), they do not disappear from my contact list. Their "last seen on" date kind of is a giveaway that they don't use the app anymore, but other than that I have no way of telling if they're still a user or not.
    01-28-13 03:25 PM
    Doesn't facebook send unsolicited emails to non-users saying " do you know x, y, and z?" I've gotten such emails (I don't use facebook, but I do know and have emailed the x, y and z they were asking me about in the past.)
    I have no idea. The only times I've ever had FB ask me if I know anyone is in the top right corner of the homepage that has "suggestions" of people I may know.
    01-28-13 03:25 PM
    Well this was a surprise.
    raino likes this.
    01-28-13 03:26 PM
    look at it this way instead, The Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada (OPC) and the Dutch Data Protection Authority has decided that WhatsApp has broken the law, but they are just going to monitor the company and impose penalties if they don't change. That's ridiculous!
    Lets say I go and rob a bank (hypothetically speaking) and I get caught red handed. At my hearing I tell them that I'm going to change my ways. The judge says ok! I believe you! I'll let you go but I'll monitor you and if you don't change I am going to impose a penalty on you...That's ridiculous!
    01-28-13 03:27 PM
    look at it this way instead, The Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada (OPC) and the Dutch Data Protection Authority has decided that WhatsApp has broken the law, but they are just going to monitor the company and impose penalties if they don't change. That's ridiculous!
    Lets say I go and rob a bank (hypothetically speaking) and I get caught red handed. At my hearing I tell them that I'm going to change my ways. The judge says ok! I believe you! I'll let you go but I'll monitor you and if you don't change I am going to impose a penalty on you...That's ridiculous!
    basically it's a minor infraction that whatsapp can easily claim as a misunderstanding. i think the idea is to warn them and hit them harder if there is any further violations
    01-28-13 03:30 PM
    I just want to clarify that I in no way shape or form will ever rob a bank, or plan to rob a bank or know anyone who has robbed a bank.
    Also sorry I used so much exclamation marks in my last post. I'm trying to break out of my lurking shell by being overly exclamationy
    01-28-13 03:31 PM
    basically it's a minor infraction that whatsapp can easily claim as a misunderstanding. i think the idea is to warn them and hit them harder if there is any further violations

oh ok, thanks for clarifying that for me
    01-28-13 03:32 PM

oh ok, thanks for clarifying that for me
    that is my opinion on it, but i only saw one violation. i suspect if there had been more, things would have been harsher
    01-28-13 03:35 PM
    I think that makes sense, but in the way of app activation.
    Then it would also make sense to me that if you change phones it would automatically scan your address book for any differences or changes in your contacts such as deletions or additions.

That is not really what I'm referencing.
    I am saying that the developers of WhatsApp appear to STORE contact information on their servers it was previously provided in order to "link" your current contacts (on what ever phone) with those they have already with that same information. No?
    Dang it man you're going to make me delete it and reinstall it.
    And I'll have to get all my groups back....:screwy:

01-28-13 03:36 PM
    Actually that happens quite often, perhaps not with a bank robbery, but with other crimes. If it's a first time offence, quite often the judges will let you go on time served and with a small fine or warning.
    cezley likes this.
    01-28-13 03:37 PM
    Remember that there are only specific laws that are international in scope.

Interpretations vary greatly. What one country allows is not necessarily so in another. What one country see as unlawful is deemed legal in others.

The definition of privacy is variable.

Edited to correct typo because Swype has developed a sense of humour today.
    Last edited by qbnkelt; 01-28-13 at 04:05 PM.
    cezley likes this.
    01-28-13 03:39 PM
    It's possible that upon re-install the app rescans the address book and populates the contact list that way.
    It looks that way to me. But again, I am no WhatsApp expert.
    I personally am not 100% sure that they save any contact information, and the reason is one of my biggest pet peeves about this app: when contacts drop off (uninstall the app, lose a data plan, etc.), they do not disappear from my contact list. Their "last seen on" date kind of is a giveaway that they don't use the app anymore, but other than that I have no way of telling if they're still a user or not.
    I am not questioning whether users are continuing to actively use the app or not.
    Just from this statement alone it seems to me that they retain contact information.
    How else would they know or be able to reference a "last seen" date for a specific contact?

IDK.....
    01-28-13 03:41 PM
63 123