It is a competitor of whatsapp though? That valuation is just out of thin air, if I bought bbm today fro 50 billion does that mean that's what it's worth? That's how much it is to me doesnt mean that's it's actually value,

To me bbm is worth more than whatsapp..

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    50 billion, that is a lot of money to pay for something like bbm. But if you instead pay 3 billion for bbm and pay 47 billion to new users, I think you gonna get many many users.
    tinochiko likes this.
    04-04-14 08:41 AM
    50 billion, that is a lot of money to pay for something like bbm. But if you instead pay 3 billion for bbm and pay 47 billion to new users, I think you gonna get many many users.
    My point is valuation is at best an estimated guess..

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    meltbox360 likes this.
    04-04-14 08:48 AM
    And how many bbm's have been sent since it's inception? And how long will it take for what's app to catch up?

Posted via CB10
    04-04-14 09:07 AM
    Elma Fudge!!
    04-04-14 09:15 AM
    This article is from yesterday:

It's Official: BlackBerry Ltd's BBM Has Stalled (BBRY, FB)

In order for BBM to catch up, it needs to be adding users at a faster pace than WhatsApp. From the linked article and video above, we find the following numbers.

Last fall just before BBM went cross-platform.
    • BBM 60 million users
    • WhatsApp 250 million users

Six months later:
    • BBM 85 million (BlackBerry has claimed that 20 million were added in the first week that it went cross-platform. Another 5 million were added the 5 months after that)
    • WhatsApp 450 million

Pace of growth in the last 5 months and 3 weeks:
    • BBM: 1 million per month
    • WhatsApp: 1 million per day

Catching up is out of the question I'm afraid.
    04-04-14 09:19 AM

In order for BBM to catch up, it needs to be adding users at a faster pace than WhatsApp. From the linked article and video above, we find the following numbers.

• BBM 60 million users

Six months later:
    • BBM 85 million (BlackBerry has claimed that 20 million were added in the first week that it went cross-platform. Another 5 million were added the 5 months after that)
    • WhatsApp 450 million

Catching up is never out of the question, it's just a matter of Chen

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    2vince6 likes this.
    04-04-14 09:23 AM
    Man stop with the comparisons mannnn� You guys and girls act like its gonna happen over night� the comparisons are like saying maaan that 13 year old is sooooooo much more talented and taller and more mature than that new born baby� ummm yea of course they are, they are 13 years old� umm lets compare when that new born turns 13 years old�. give it time�. blackberry isn't even 3 years old yet and yet it already has seen 3 major updates and has voice calling before whatsapp �. smh
    tinochiko likes this.
    04-04-14 09:44 AM
    So doing the math, WhatsApp's 20 billion sent averages to 40 messages sent per user on their record breaking day.

If you think 40 on a record breaking day is implausible, then what do you think of 98 on an average day? If any company claimed 98 messages sent per user per day, what would you honestly think?

From a BlackBerry press release

If WhatApp's 40 is implausible, the what do you think of BBM's 98?
    I'd believe that 51 million people use BBM for free voice, video and triple DES encrypted communications for 90 minutes a day before I'd believe that about 1/14th of the planet legitimately uses Whatsapp to send 40 messages a day.

It just seems like their metrics could use some context.

WhatsApp gets used by yet another malware scam - AndroidPIT

WhatsApp: 64 billion messages handled yesterday, none today - AndroidPIT

To fully understand the extent of the problem:
    WhatsApp Easy to Hack
    04-04-14 09:50 AM
    Catching up is never out of the question, it's just a matter of Chen

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    I agree that as long as BBM servers are up, there is always a chance.

But as always BlackBerry wasn't ready with the software at launch and they really made a mess of both the first and second tries. Have no idea how they are doing now with BBM, as no one I know has kept BBM on their devices and no one wants to be a BlackBerry beta tester again. I think BBM growth is going to be slow and is going to come mainly in markets where BBM is big already and where people have an incentive to use an app with a few issues because so many of their friends are using it. Many here hoped that BBM would see the same or better growth in the first year of the release than WhatsApp had... that will not happen.

I think the real question is has BlackBerry done enough "proof of concept" work to make BBM and thus BlackBerry more valuable......
    04-04-14 09:52 AM
    In the first couple of weeks then BBM was released on Android, it was flying high on the list of top downloaded apps. That was encouraging news, but the question is whether that growth could be sustained. Wait a couple of months and it will settle down to its normal level.

The following ranking are from the Canadian Play store, the home base of BlackBerry. While the numbers change from day to day, the relative positions have remained stable for the last few months.

2 - facebook messenger
    4 - skype
    12 - whatsapp
    26 - viber
    40 - bbm
    42 - kik

On the Apple App Store, I could even find where BBM is on the list.

It's not just WhatsApp that BBM has to catch up to.
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-04-14 10:48 AM
    It will accelerate when the perception problems are dealt with. People have a stupid negative perception of BlackBerry.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    I tried BBM,it was great. But I already use other Messengers and I its difficult to ask your friends to switch. So everyone just stays where they are. BB was late the party and will lose because of that. People who previously used BB Phones, but now don�t already found a suitable substitute for chat.
    04-04-14 12:43 PM
    BBM was just too late to the party. All of my contacts are on what's app. It's the Facebook of messaging.

Have at least 20 group chats with friends that get used at least every second day.

No one I know has BBM. And that's from a contact list of 30 just 3 years ago!

Sent from my iPad using CB Forums
    decoy7 likes this.
    04-04-14 01:42 PM
    Enough with the "late to the party" nonsense. By that metric, no company should ever try to make a competing product or service...ever... as they'll be late and there's already a dominant player or two, or 3... Whether BBM gains traction or not is yet to be seen but it won't be because it's "late".

Posted via CB10
    Dave Bourque and badiyee like this.
    04-04-14 01:47 PM
    I'm doing my part, fam is gettin' Z30, so 3/4 BB with one iBi- nothing I said nothing, don't delete this! only chat with most people on the BBM bandwagon push and shove the friends to grab more BBs =)
    04-04-14 02:50 PM

• BBM 60 million users

Six months later:
    • WhatsApp 450 million

Could someone please explain the catalyst that had WhatsApp increase its users from 250 million to 450 million in just six months? Just trying to get my head around how this many users suddenly jumped on board in such a short period of time since Whatsapp has been around for quite sometime. Sounds to me very exponential growth.. Does that mean they're on track to get to over a billion users in another 6 months???

Just scratching my head here what they did differently to attract that many users in such a short period of time..
    meltbox360 likes this.
    04-04-14 03:01 PM
    Could someone please explain the catalyst that had WhatsApp increase its users from 250 million to 450 million in just six months? Just trying to get my head around how this many users suddenly jumped on board in such a short period of time since Whatsapp has been around for quite sometime. Sounds to me very exponential growth.. Does that mean they're on track to get to over a billion users in another 6 months???

Just scratching my head here what they did differently to attract that many users in such a short period of time..
    I can't say for sure. And someone else can probably explain better, but i would think it's to do with developing markets, more and more people getting access to Internet, getting smartphones, whatsapp is the app that they will commonly use to communicate with relatives out of the country and in etc..

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    04-04-14 03:05 PM
    I can't say for sure. And someone else can probably explain better, but i would think it's to do with developing markets, more and more people getting access to Internet, getting smartphones, whatsapp is the app that they will commonly use to communicate with relatives out of the country and in etc..

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    Yes, I see that everyday people are getting more and more connected.. I'm having trouble understanding this as being extremely pivotal in the last six months....
    meltbox360 likes this.
    04-04-14 03:29 PM
    64 billion per day? if their user base is 500 million or so they claim, that's 128 messages per day per person.

Can you say 'bots'? or 'shenanigans'? They're at least counting a single message sent and received as two... which makes me ask "why do they have to inflate the figures?" or is this some hysterical exaggeration for April fool's?
    128 messages per day really aren't that much
    04-04-14 03:58 PM
    Yeah, it records 64B messages in a day and goes down the same day. And wait ooh, it's not working again.

Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.2141
    04-04-14 04:40 PM
    Well its not working now, so those 64b messages doesnt help right now, does it?

Black cards, Black cars - All BlackBerry-thing!
    04-04-14 04:44 PM
    My point is valuation is at best an estimated guess..
    Any valuation is an estimated guess. Especially, for illiquid assets. But what we know for sure is that no one was interested in paying even 1/4 of What'sApp's selling price for the entire BalckBerry, which includes all the patents, BBM, QNX, BES, BB10, etc, which some people here believe are worth tens of billions of dollars EACH.
    04-04-14 04:45 PM
    Yesterday alone, 3 contacts and me had a total of about 120 Whatsapp messages. I don't know if that is a lot because I never count them until just now. And no the headline is not misleading, it is as accurate at the passage said it is.
    so three contacts plus you makes 4 * 120 = 480 messages.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-14 07:41 PM
    So doing the math, WhatsApp's 20 billion sent averages to 40 messages sent per user on their record breaking day.

If you think 40 on a record breaking day is implausible, then what do you think of 98 on an average day? If any company claimed 98 messages sent per user per day, what would you honestly think?

From a BlackBerry press release

If WhatApp's 40 is implausible, the what do you think of BBM's 98?
    I am one of those users. I sent zero messages. for everyone like me someone else had to send 40 more messages (actually, only 20 because they count both ends of a message separately, which is stupid, and the same argument that Comcast uses to charge you and Netflix both for the same data packets.) and my friend who got Whatsapp to communicate with me also sent zero messages. There are lots of people who are registered whatsapp users and don't use it. These numbers are grossly and misleadingly inflated,that's not debateable.
    Last edited by RyanGermann; 04-04-14 at 08:01 PM.
    04-04-14 07:45 PM

The "catalyst" is that they can totally lie about it and there's absolutely no independent auditor.

Posted via CB10
    johnnyuk and lynxs_claw like this.
    04-04-14 07:46 PM
    True but the rate of growth isn't promising, it needs to be accelerated so it's not something that's just forgotten, and I think groups being a separate app would really benefit adoption for both apps..

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    You mean like it did when they released stickers...

Posted via CB10
    04-04-14 07:50 PM
175 12345 ...