WhatsApps hits record 64-billion messages in a day | T3

It's like China vs US where China is growing at a fast rate economically compared to the US, but China is just so far away from the US, it's worse here because bbm isn't even growing at the same pace as whatsapp (based on last released figures..

Is bbm destined to be number 2? It's strange also because whatsapp is so limited in terms of features and it seen a limited apps are gold these days, less is more, that's why i think BBM Groups Should be a separate app!

Thoughts?

http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=910458 - more on the bbm groups idea

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    04-04-14 12:36 AM
    BBM just got on the cross-platform stage. Its going to take some time.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    04-04-14 12:38 AM
    BBM just got on the cross-platform stage. Its going to take some time.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    True but the rate of growth isn't promising, it needs to be accelerated so it's not something that's just forgotten, and I think groups being a separate app would really benefit adoption for both apps..

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    FSeverino likes this.
    04-04-14 12:41 AM
    True but the rate of growth isn't promising, it needs to be accelerated so it's not something that's just forgotten, and I think groups being a separate app would really benefit adoption for both apps..

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    It will accelerate when the perception problems are dealt with. People have a stupid negative perception of BlackBerry.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    AcADIeN, Shadowyugi and andy957 like this.
    04-04-14 12:46 AM
    It will accelerate when the perception problems are dealt with. People have a stupid negative perception of BlackBerry.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    You say that like it's a sure thing, perception isn't an easy thing to change...

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    bekkay likes this.
    04-04-14 12:52 AM
    You say that like it's a sure thing, perception isn't an easy thing to change...

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    I never said it was easy nor did I say it's a sure thing. What should BlackBerry do to fix it's perception ? Currently they can't afford to focus on the consumer market and are looking to offset the BIS subscription losses by gaining BES10 subs.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    anon(5828343) and andy957 like this.
    04-04-14 12:58 AM
    I never said it was easy nor did I say it's a sure thing. What should BlackBerry do to fix it's perception ? Currently they can't afford to focus on the consumer market and are looking to offset the BIS subscription losses by gaining BES10 subs.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    PR is inexpensive and highly effective, make the OS more stable, separate BBM groups and let it evolve into its own thing, among other things

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    04-04-14 01:02 AM
    PR is inexpensive and highly effective, make the OS more stable, separate BBM groups and let it evolve into its own thing, among other things

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    Why separate BBM groups ? OS is increasingly becoming more stable so that is a work in already in progress.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    04-04-14 01:03 AM
    Why separate BBM groups ? OS is increasingly becoming more stable so that is a work in already in progress.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141

Have you read the post linked in the first post? Just so I'm not repeating unnecessarily

And maybe on the whole but the little things, quick examples, yesterday my hub worked as normal except every time I tapped any kind of message it would take me to the same one which I had already opened previously, reseting the hub wouldn't fix only a reboot would,

On bbm, mine lags every time I go on the invites tab, remaining on suggested for a few seconds when I'm trying to go on received/sent

Yes it's only a year old, but speed is everything because of past mistakes there's pressure to get things right so that perception can be changed..

The bbm cross platform launch itself was a disaster so BlackBerry needs to make up for it..

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    04-04-14 01:20 AM
    WhatsApps hits record 64-billion messages in a day | T3

It's like China vs US where China is growing at a fast rate economically compared to the US, but China is just so far away from the US, it's worse here because bbm isn't even growing at the same pace as whatsapp (based on last released figures..

Is bbm destined to be number 2? It's strange also because whatsapp is so limited in terms of features and it seen a limited apps are gold these days, less is more, that's why i think BBM Groups Should be a separate app!

Thoughts?

Crazy Crazy BBM Idea - BlackBerry Forums at CrackBerry.com - more on the bbm groups idea

TechCraze C0008DDD1

I think the better question is how will John Chen try to pry out a bigger ARPU for each BBM subscriber.
    04-04-14 01:24 AM
    I think the better question is how will John Chen try to pry out a bigger ARPU for each BBM subscriber.
    Add more things to sell to the bbm shop. Get big companies on bbm with ad revenue. Etc,etc.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    04-04-14 01:28 AM
    I still don't see a benefit to splitting bbm groups. I guess they could monetize eBBM for those who want a more secure client with a more business centric UI environment.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    04-04-14 01:33 AM
    I still don't see a benefit to splitting bbm groups. I guess they could monetize eBBM for those who want a more secure client with a more business centric UI environment.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Well is there a cost? It eases the code for bbm So it can be made more stable, it would increase the use of groups by being able to add things like group discovery etc, it has great potential but it's not being realised because it's in a crowded area

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    04-04-14 01:35 AM
    Yeah as said above that's about bbm Shop, but i dont understand why that's a better questions rather than just a different one? More user update, more revenue, instead of trying to make a smaller userbase pay more, let a bigger userbase pay less..

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    04-04-14 01:37 AM
    Yeah as said above that's about bbm Shop, but i dont understand why that's a better questions rather than just a different one? More user update, more revenue, instead of trying to make a smaller userbase pay more, let a bigger userbase pay less..

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    Optional stuff. Never make users pay for the stuff you expect to have. That's how I see it. eBBM though should be a sold app with the highest amount of features. Especially the security aspect.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    04-04-14 01:42 AM
    Both whatsapp and bbm are native apps in bb. So who really cares.. I dont understand. Look from the user direction.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-14 01:48 AM
    Both whatsapp and bbm are native apps in bb. So who really cares.. I dont understand. Look from the user direction.

Posted via CB10
    Sadly. In this world people want to fight between what's the best [insert product]

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    04-04-14 01:55 AM

Posted via CB10
    From the perspective of wanting BlackBerry to do well.. BlackBerry cares (or should)

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    04-04-14 01:56 AM
    From the perspective of wanting BlackBerry to do well.. BlackBerry cares (or should)

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    They do?... that's why BBM had consistent updates for the past 4 months or so.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Shadowyugi likes this.
    04-04-14 01:57 AM

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    Whatsapp has a VERY, VERY weird tiered, multi-level-priviledged system. I'm not sure if I can compress what I understand, but here' what I knew.

Back in 2008/9 when this Whatsapp was firstly available and then introduced to iOS, and later Android, and later to BBOS and other platforms, it was FREE for iOS but wasn't for other platforms.

Then later, if I recall correctly, WhatsApp did inked deals with certain telcos so that telcos would use WhatsApp as their SMS services and things like that . WhatsApp also inked other deals as well.

But back on the platform front, iOS users were always subsidized.What I noticed within my family was this.

iOS= free for life. (and still standing)
    Android=free for first year, paid for next year onwards.
    BlackBerry=free for 3 months, paid for next year onwards.
    WP = no data (no one in my family used that)

and so I was thinking it made no logic to have the iOS users not paying, but the BlackBerry and Android users paying.

So as much, I knew that there were groups of people offering free services of swapping sim cards so that whatsapp thought that these devices swithed to iOS, and then these accounts became from "free 1st year, pay from next year onwards" became "permanently free for the rest of life".

But I don't have new data from 2013 onwards. Did not actively read into them.
    04-04-14 02:07 AM
    They do?... that's why BBM had consistent updates for the past 4 months or so.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Great, but certain issues still haven't been addressed, Kevin talked about the shortcomings vs Google chat in being able to in a group chat see who is actually on the app and who has seen what message, this was back at CES and nothing like that has been addressed, if bbm groups was seperate that would mean two teams and they could work faster to improve the service to the user's advantage..

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    04-04-14 02:08 AM
    Great, but certain issues still haven't been addressed, Kevin talked about the shortcomings vs Google chat in being able to in a group chat see who is actually on the app and who has seen what message, this was back at CES and nothing like that has been addressed, if bbm groups was seperate that would mean two teams and they could work faster to improve the service to the user's advantage..

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    This is a misconception and no it wouldn't make them work faster. They hire a set amount of people to work on BBM each person works a different project within BBM.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    04-04-14 02:10 AM
    This is a misconception and no it wouldn't make them work faster. They hire a set amount of people to work on BBM each person works a different project within BBM.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    Yes but if bbm groups was separate, the same set amount of people seeing groups separate from just bbm as a whole, would be updating and adding features at a faster rate, because instead of prioritising from bbm as a whole, projects would be prioritised for bbm and bbm groups separately.. imo

TechCraze C0008DDD1
    04-04-14 02:16 AM
    i don like What's App. Use it only once in a week, maybe. All my friends use BBM. Fast and secure

Z30 - 10.2.1.2141
    04-04-14 02:23 AM
    How much of that is spam messaging, I must get several every day!

If your on anyone's contact list or even people putting random numbers. You can block them, but it's getting really annoying.

On BBM at least even with suggested contacts, you get a request.

Posted via CB10
    FastLane228 likes this.
    04-04-14 03:31 AM
175 123 ...