02-24-14 07:21 AM
309 ... 56789 ...
tools
    And again, it goes to privacy. I don't want my entire address book added to BBM which is what Whatsapp does if one of your contacts also has it. BBM will scan my book and if there are any in there, that I have full contact info, like their email, then it will "suggest" them and give me the option of adding. There are many in the suggested section and they remain there because.... wait for it.... I don't want them on my BBM.
    Do you want your address book added to texting??? cuz the same person who would Whatsapp you can also text you!!
    12-25-13 12:02 AM
    deleted....
    12-25-13 12:20 AM
    [QUOTE
    True story… A girl backed into my car one night leaving a club… she was noticeably drunk and driving a rental car that was in her brother's name… As I was about to call the police, my friend, who was her friend convinced me she was a good person and would and could pay it… Anyways, it turns out that she was a bit reluctant to pay anything because she didn't like the quote i gave her.. I used her number to find out her parent's name and telephone number and address, and I used that as leverage as she didn't want her parents to find out she was drinking underage or that she was driving drunk and got into an accident…. thats the type of privacy i don't want to surrender to someone I just met…[/QUOTE]

And in the old days you would exchange phone numbers, drivers license and insurance information that had all your personal information !!!!
    bekkay and Bsbudd like this.
    12-25-13 12:20 AM
    BBm will never go by phone numbers because people change numbers sometimes when they get a new phone or plan. Even if you do get a new number on another phone you can still use your bb id on the new phone and bam!! you get all your contacts back. And anyone who uses whatsapp should be slapped in the face for sending all their contacts phone numbers to a company with not so great security, who then probably sell your phone numbers to some shady company, who then sells the list to scams and other such people who call just as you're sitting down to dinner. How the F did you get my number?

Posted via CB10
    12-25-13 12:58 AM
    Maybe a solution would be following:
    1. BBM accesses users phone number and contacts.
    2. Users can see who has BBM installed.
    3. Users invite contacts by PIN.

My opinion is that this solution would be best of both worlds. You could immediately see who from your contacts is using BBM but invite and connect only to those who you really want to message. And for those who are concerned about anything with this solution, just refuse access to your phone number and contacts.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2
    I think that's a great idea!!!
    Although that would mean that you need to have the persons number on your phone.

I think actually working it on email might not be a bad option.
    Most people have a various number of friends on social media sites.
    Majority of people tend to stick 1 or 2 email addresses for most of their sign ups.
    So checking BBID'S against your FB contacts email for example then if there is a match, that is a new contact suggestion

Posted via CB10 from my Z30
    12-25-13 01:32 AM
    I'll just drop this here

Why are you bbm'ing someone that doesn't have your number?

"Yeah I wanna text you but I'm not giving you my number" .
    That's a bit silly.... there are so many reasons.
    You only need to be in touch for a certain amount of time or its business related and you don't provide your mobile no for business
    You get added to a group where you don't know everyone
    It's a less intrusive daunting way to start talking to a person without having to change your number if the person is nuts or whatever, say someone you've just met and would like to get to know em better, like dating wise you have BBM video and voice, even if they've seen you, you decide you're done talking to them, it's as simple as tapping delete and no more worries.

Maybe you are overseas, and not using your normal number people can still contact you with ease because BBM isn't tied to your country or phone no.

And believe it or not, there are people who add random people for someone to chat too, not uncommon either, if they can share a way to IM a stranger/new friend on the other side of the world with out having to share any personal or identifying information immediately.
    Many reasons why

Also on a sidebar, it could encourage people to use voice on BBM particularly when it is launched for BBMX, which in turn would help them realise how vastly superior the sound quality is

Last edited by MiSsY_; 12-25-13 at 02:12 AM.
    12-25-13 01:37 AM
    On the topic of those fake reviews you do realize there is a equal number of 1 star and 5 star reviews with the same quote right?

BlackBerry Z30 | 10.2.1.1925 | BBM Channel C0006E212
    12-25-13 01:39 AM
    Fair enough...
    But tell me what's the harm in giving both the options.

Posted via CB10
    Well to me it kinda defeats the purpose.

For example where I work, I manage an office over 20 agents and deal with clients and attorneys on a daily basis. And since I can, I also provide tech support, since I need my agents back up and running ASAP.
    Taking that into consideration, I am at the office the entire day but here is the thing, my mobile no is not available on the company telephone lists none of my agents have it, is not listed on our website, given to customers or even attorneys. This is something I have insisted on and it has been adhered to, I do not want to be contacted after hours on my weekends, various reasons for that.

So like I said I deal with attorneys daily and one happens to be a married man, who openly flirted with me asking to take me for lunch and how does he get in touch and he really needs to be able to reach me. Creepy! Now here's the thing, I say no and it creates a bad business relationship, my documents and contracts get delayed etc etc. But instead what I can say is that my mobile is personal use only, however if it is urgent, you can add me on BBM.
    I've completely stayed in control of my device and don't have to be concerned about this creeper or insulting him and should he ever leave his company, I don't have to worry about changing MY number to get rid of him.

I know it may sound silly to some but I doubt this kinda thing is uncommon.

And what about when it comes to groups? A group of 50 people, and your good buddy invited you, but you only know 2 people in the group so all the other stalkers/murders/serial killers (I exaggerate but I think you get my point) have just been gifted your direct contact details courtesy of you

12-25-13 01:56 AM
    does this include people like me who were just curious then deleted the junk?
    12-25-13 02:02 AM
    BBM should atleast give us the option or suggest the contacts who already have BBM to send invites. I managed to convince my friend (iPhone user) to use BBM but this was the question he asked me. How will he know who is using BBM in his contacts? He is frustrated already as I am his only contact on BBM.
    So share it on social media?
    I don't know about the is version, but on here if you tap invites tab on BBM and go to suggested, it brings up a number of people for me

12-25-13 02:09 AM
    BBM is the only messaging service that's secure and certified for Military and Government use. It's also the best one out to date. Never used a more smooth and quick messaging service yet. BBM Rocks.

WhatsApp, Texting, Kik, etc,. Are all un-secure. PINS is BBRY's patent BABY. It Rocks.
    12-25-13 02:24 AM
    Whatsapp forces users registration by revealing you if your number is in others contact.

I really find it annoying, bbm gives you better control.

Now with its own channel integration and bbm groups I have found really good developers group to learn and share my work.

Bbm makes sense, among bbm contacts.

Posted via CB10
    12-25-13 02:42 AM
    I'll just drop this here....

How do you get someone's phone #?...

That is all.

Posted via CB10
    I was about to lose it with everyone acting like a pin is some magical 500 character string that is so much worse than a phone number. Its shorter and really easy to share... I really doubt pins will cause BBM to either succeed or fail. Many other more important things will determine its success.

EDIT: I've had very limited experience with whatsapp but I can tell you I hated it. Its like a virtual phone on my phone which just messes with contacts and is utterly useless. BBM works by using tiny bits of data and pretty clearly presents group calendars, pictures, stuff like that. It just seems simpler and easier to use. Not to mention I don't have a single friend on whatsapp. Actually I don't think I have a single friend that knows what whatsapp is. BBM on the other hand...
    Umaima_B_Dia likes this.
    12-25-13 02:44 AM
    If everybody on here is honest than You have to admit that when asking current iOS and Android Whatsapp users to convert to BBM they come back after a short time with following comments:

1. There's nobody using BBM and if yes, one can't see who is ( PIN vs. phone numbers)

2. With Whatsapp You can send videos and BBM can't.

3. There is no landscape typing.

4. You can't delete single messages.

5. You can't go to next row when typing.

Just for info, I am a shareholder of BlackBerry and would be very happy if BBM becomes Nr. 1.
    I think that everybody needs to be realistic about current shortcomings of BBM especially on iOS and Android.
    If BBM can get more users by giving their users the option to use both ( PIN and phone numbers) than they should do it.

parthokarki likes this.
    12-25-13 03:06 AM
    If everybody on here is honest than You have to admit that when asking current iOS and Android Whatsapp users to convert to BBM they come back after a short time with following comments:

1. There's nobody using BBM and if yes, one can't see who is ( PIN vs. phone numbers)

Just for info, I am a shareholder of BlackBerry and would be very happy if BBM becomes Nr. 1.
    I think that everybody needs to be realistic about current shortcomings of BBM especially on iOS and Android.
    If BBM can get more users by giving their users the option to use both ( PIN and phone numbers) than they should do it.

Yeah the more features bbm gives out the better. But those guys at bbm are working hard. We should voice what we want by hitting the discussion at beta zone app or web.

There is an option for BlackBerry features request also.

Posted via CB10
    12-25-13 03:20 AM

The ones I asked said OK and then added me.

Tell me, how does having a pin plus a phone number solve the issues you specified above?

Posted via CB10
    12-25-13 03:42 AM
    The ones I asked said OK and then added me.

Tell me, how does having a pin plus a phone number solve the issues you specified above?

Posted via CB10
    It will help sort issue Nr. 1

12-25-13 05:00 AM
    Title needs adjustment Mods please (speculation/rumour) To add to the discussion, the fact that when/if you do change your number, your contacts can now be under the purview of the new owner of that old number.....seems like something I would embrace...but who cares, at least i get to click away on my phone...
    12-25-13 05:00 AM
    Until BBM comes to every platform whatsapp is better. BBM is a thing of the past, it had a small period of fame when it came to iOS and Android but now its back in the corner.
    12-25-13 07:13 AM
    Look I would love BBM to beat crappy out of whatsapp but by not giving default option to add by phone they are shooting themselves in the head.
    Whatsapp success speaks for itself....Learn from thier success and improvise.

Posted via CB10
    Bbm 10.3 my friend, read up on it

Posted via CB10
    12-25-13 07:32 AM
    Do you want your address book added to texting??? cuz the same person who would Whatsapp you can also text you!!
    As your screen name suggests, this is bunk.
    12-25-13 07:58 AM
    An interesting perspective. The OPTION To use pin or number. If you use pin number will not be revealed (like is now). Users just add a phone number to their bbid account and people can add them from it
    12-25-13 08:10 AM
    How is it difficult to add people ?? One of the things that BBM does is remind you to share your pin on Facebook and thats that. The excuse that people are lazy is weak sauce. There is no difficulty.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    The basic arguments for using phone numbers for adding BBM contacts seem to come down to:

1. People are too lazy, or stupid, to use a different way of adding contacts to an application: they just want it handed to them.

2. Everyone else is doing it.

Too weak to even be sauce!
    12-25-13 09:00 AM
    Of course what's app is better. I much prefer a non secured easily hacked service over a known and proven secure one. Soon every cell phone in the world will be on what's app and the US can save millions on snooping much easier.

Nothing to hide, right? Ya Ya, that's it.

Posted via CB10 on my Z10
    12-25-13 09:07 AM
    Only true if You use a BlackBerry.

On iOS and Android the overall experience is currently much better on Whatsapp.

It's different, I won't say it's better. Aside from an occasional couple of hours' outage, I am having no problem with BBM on *any* platform.

The *only* thing that I prefer about WhatsApp's approach is picture sharing in groups, I find it more cumbersome in BBM because in WhatsApp picture sharing in groups is integrated into the chat. Other than that, I much prefer BBM overall. As soon as BBM was released cross platform I installed it. WhatsApp is now gone from my iPhone and my BlackBerry.

As to phone number vs PIN, I prefer PIN because I might not want to release my phone number to everyone I might want to chat with. There are casual contacts who are not family or close friends, and I prefer to keep my phone number hidden.

Also, because BBM is tied to PIN I can swap phones and my contacts will transfer with my BBID regardless of what line I'm using my BBM on. Example, if I want to swap out my SGIII to my iPhone's line, I can do that and keep the contacts tied to the BBID without dealing with the phone number change. When I tried doing that with WhatsApp it got "confused" because it was associating that instance of WhatsApp with the prior phone number/line. It was a nuisance.
    FuNKBerryZ likes this.
    12-25-13 09:44 AM
309 ... 56789 ...