Sigh... Really? The thing is, now they have your phone number too and that goes beyond their employ as a bus driver.
    Read my post - school bus lady. She makes sure all the students put their seat belts on and coordinates with parents. That's how our bus system works. She is not the driver
    12-24-13 05:17 PM
    I'll just drop this here

Why are you bbm'ing someone that doesn't have your number?

"Yeah I wanna text you but I'm not giving you my number" .
    Easy, you are at a bar� You overhear a guy who is talking to someone about a product you have been looking for, you inquire and he says he has said product.. You want to trust this guy but you are not sure, he seems a bit "weird" so, you A. Exchange numbers and risk making a huge mistake, he is a perv and is now stalking you� B. you snap his bbm barcode and if he turns out to be crazy, you delete him, if not you get your product, delete him and move on� I understand this is a bit extreme, but you get it� You can temporarily give someone access to you and you control that access� WIth a phone number, I can essentially find out everything about you�

True story� A girl backed into my car one night leaving a club� she was noticeably drunk and driving a rental car that was in her brother's name� As I was about to call the police, my friend, who was her friend convinced me she was a good person and would and could pay it� Anyways, it turns out that she was a bit reluctant to pay anything because she didn't like the quote i gave her.. I used her number to find out her parent's name and telephone number and address, and I used that as leverage as she didn't want her parents to find out she was drinking underage or that she was driving drunk and got into an accident�. thats the type of privacy i don't want to surrender to someone I just met�
    cjcampbell and rizdragon like this.
    12-24-13 05:20 PM
    If you appearn in their what's app app, they already had your number.

Fail more.

Whatsapp only surfaces contacts whose numbers are already in your phone. It doesn't put new numbers there to surface.

If you're in their app, its cause they had your number anyways from other means and those issues have absolutely nothing to do with the service.

Lol, Wow...

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    No sir.. wow at u.

I'm talking about, u give someone ur # specifically for whatsapp, then u no longer want them msgin u, what then?, u block them on whatsapp, ok, then what? They can call u...can still text you.

I still don't get why you stick around here tho...but that's another discussion

Posted via CB10
    12-24-13 05:21 PM
    What is whatsup?
    12-24-13 05:22 PM
    Easy, you are at a bar� You overhear a guy who is talking to someone about a product you have been looking for, you inquire and he says he has said product.. You want to trust this guy but you are not sure, he seems a bit "weird" so, you A. Exchange numbers and risk making a huge mistake, he is a perv and is now stalking you� B. you snap his bbm barcode and if he turns out to be crazy, you delete him, if not you get your product, delete him and move on� I understand this is a bit extreme, but you get it� You can temporarily give someone access to you and you control that access� WIth a phone number, I can essentially find out everything about you�

True story� A girl backed into my car one night leaving a club� she was noticeably drunk and driving a rental car that was in her brother's name� As I was about to call the police, my friend, who was her friend convinced me she was a good person and would and could pay it� Anyways, it turns out that she was a bit reluctant to pay anything because she didn't like the quote i gave her.. I used her number to find out her parent's name and telephone number and address, and I used that as leverage as she didn't want her parents to find out she was drinking underage or that she was driving drunk and got into an accident�. thats the type of privacy i don't want to surrender to someone I just met�
    Glad someone gets it

Posted via CB10
    adjdudley21 likes this.
    12-24-13 05:23 PM
    Read my post - school bus lady. She makes sure all the students put their seat belts on and coordinates with parents. That's how our bus system works.
    And teachers and clergy and babysitters and sports coaches and any other number of so called "trusted" people don't do anything wrong right?. Absolutely nothing against bus drivers as they serve a valuable service, but they also require nothing more than a clean criminal and driver record. Schooling and years of dedication can weed out the weirdos.... most of the time. As much as I would like to not think of the crap people that are out there, one cannot deny that they exist. I simply have a lack of trust to an extent. This by no means is a slight against your kids driver but just a question as to the school simply handing out your cell number to a virtual stranger. I don't agree with it and if that had happened to me, I would have been in the principals office within minutes to question why they did that without my permission.
    12-24-13 05:24 PM
    No sir.. wow at u.

I'm talking about, u give someone ur # specifically for whatsapp, then u no longer want them msgin u, what then?, u block them on whatsapp, ok, then what? They can call u...can still text you.

I still don't get why you stick around here tho...but that's another discussion

Posted via CB10
    Whatsapp is used as a substitute for texting. Especially in situations where you want to avoid international texting fees. Hardly anyone here uses it because they all have unlimited sms and a majority don't text internationally. That is how whatsapp gained prominence.

I dont give my number out for whatsapp. I give it out and just text them. If I want to block them, my ISP allows that.

That is what what's app was designed for. Otherwise its no better than sms besides the fact that it uses data instead of a cell connection (it's still only usable on phones).

Your number is your number. Be responsible with it. That's not their job. It's yours. In the end no one says you have to use it, but you not using it doesn't change the fact that they retailing the floor with most any other messaging service on the market.

bekkay and AlexXF like this.
    12-24-13 05:25 PM
    Wiping the floor, too... Auto substitution owned my typo there.

12-24-13 05:28 PM
    It's going to be impossible to beat whatsapp if BBM continues with PIN only option...Give people option those who like PIN let then use PIN and those who prefer to use Phone Number let then use phone Number.
    These are staggering numbers... I want BBM to be successful but I am convinced that BBM Pin will turn out to be BBM's biggest enemy.
    It's a simple fix that BlackBerry could do before it's too late.

Posted via CB10
    It's not just the pin only situation that is why whatsapp is killing bbm. BlackBerry once again got everyone excited for bbm cross platform and botched the launch. Then not to mention it's not even truly cross platform because windows phone is not involved. And to top it off they did the usual undeliver BlackBerry status by just offering bare bones bbm services to ios and Android users.
    12-24-13 05:30 PM
    Folks in these thread who argue that PINs/usernames are better and will ensure BBM's rapid growth should probably know that there are already a few apps that don't require sharing your phone number (e.g. Kik).
    12-24-13 05:30 PM
    Whatsapp is used as a substitute for texting. Especially in situations where you want to avoid international texting fees. Hardly anyone here uses it because they all have unlimited sms and a majority don't text internationally. That is how whatsapp gained prominence.

I dont give my number out for whatsapp. I give it out and just text them. If I want to block them, my ISP allows that.

That is what what's app was designed for. Otherwise its no better than sms besides the fact that it uses data instead of a cell connection (it's still only usable on phones).

Your number is your number. Be responsible with it. That's not their job. It's yours. In the end no one says you have to use it, but you not using it doesn't change the fact that they retailing the floor with most any other messaging service on the market.

I don't think anyone is questioning the current dominance of whatsapp in the messaging arena, but the bolded is the point many are trying to make. By using a pin instead of a number negates the risk involved with giving out a number. With Whatsapp, you have to use it.
    raino, rizdragon and Vorkosigan like this.
    12-24-13 05:33 PM
    I don't think anyone is questioning the current dominance of whatsapp in the messaging arena, but the bolded is the point many are trying to make. By using a pin instead of a number negates the risk involved with giving out a number. With Whatsapp, you have to use it.
    Which was really the whole point of the thread, the op claimed that bbm not using # is hindering it's growth and that they should give that option , and case in point it is not, pin is easier to work with if anything, it is still easier to get rid of a contact, easier to add,etc...the only thing holding back a faster growth for bbm is no voice and video, that's it, once voice comes I'm convinced growth will be faster

Posted via CB10
    cjcampbell and adjdudley21 like this.
    12-24-13 05:36 PM
    What good is a Whatsapp contact, whom I've decided to block and no longer correspond with, who can then turn around and call or SMS me willy nilly? No. No thank you.
    I don't know how it works on BB10, but on iOS 7 you can block people from calling or SMSing you.
    12-24-13 05:36 PM
    I don't know how it works on BB10, but on iOS 7 you can block people from calling or SMSing you.
    There's a lot one can do with a simple phone number beyond calling or texting.
    adjdudley21 likes this.
    12-24-13 05:42 PM
    The point is moot cause no one is forcing them to use it. The market clearly prefers it that way and the fud that many peddle about the app/service has not slowed their growth at all.

12-24-13 05:45 PM
    The point is moot cause no one is forcing them to use it. The market clearly prefers it that way and the fud that many peddle about the app/service has not slowed their growth at all.

It's easy and convenient. I just believe that a non phone number service is a better solution. We don't have to agree on that. I'm not saying you are wrong, just that I don't agree.
    12-24-13 05:51 PM
    There's a lot one can do with a simple phone number beyond calling or texting.
    Perhaps, but I'm getting the impression that this is going to end up being one of those cases where a small majority passionately believes that the majority should prefer their way of doing something, but the majority just doesn't.

BBM has already disappeared off the top 200 list in the App Store (WhatsApp is currently at 42), and the top 500 list at Google Play (WhatsApp is currently at 21). I'm afraid that by the time BlackBerry gets around to introducing new features, no one will care. Unfortunately, you usually don't get a second chance to make a first impression.
    12-24-13 05:55 PM
    Perhaps, but I'm getting the impression that this is going to end up being one of those cases where a small majority passionately believes that the majority should prefer their way of doing something, but the majority just doesn't.

BBM has already disappeared off the top 200 list in the App Store (WhatsApp is currently at 42), and the top 500 list at Google Play (WhatsApp is currently at 21). I'm afraid that by the time BlackBerry gets around to introducing new features, no one will care. Unfortunately, you usually don't get a second chance to make a first impression.
    This is what I saw when I looked up the top free apps on Google Play.

WhatsApp added 100M users last 4 months: The power of Phone Number Vs PIN-img_00000769.png

Posted via CB10
    12-24-13 06:01 PM
    Not a good idea to use numbers. The key to success is differentiation. If bbm do the same as Whatsapp, why would people switch to bbm?

BBM should concentrate on video and voice and unique features and they can easily squash Whatsapp.

Posted via CB10
    southlander likes this.
    12-24-13 06:10 PM
    Whatsup is just garbage. It's a text editor that invasively data mines your phone for contacts. It then claims those contacts as members so that it can pump up its self importance. I'm sure these inflated numbers have nothing to do with its upcoming IPO. The truth is Whatsup day has past. Texting is old technology and integrated communication platforms like BBM are the future.

Posted via CB10
    evanmichael likes this.
    12-24-13 06:11 PM
    This is what I saw when I looked up the top free apps on Google Play.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_00000769.png 
Views:	219 
Size:	178.3 KB 
ID:	233117

Posted via CB10
    How strange. When I checked a few days ago, it definitely wasn't there. I checked again just now (https://play.google.com/store/apps/c...opselling_free) and it was there, but nowhere near as high as you show it. (It was at 363 when I looked). Maybe it makes a difference what country you're in?
    12-24-13 06:14 PM
    How strange. When I checked a few days ago, it definitely wasn't there. I checked again just now (https://play.google.com/store/apps/c...opselling_free) and it was there, but nowhere near as high as you show it. (It was at 363 when I looked). Maybe it makes a difference what country you're in?
    It very well could be a regional thing. I'm in Canada.

EDIT - I hit your link and it's in the exact same place as my pic
    12-24-13 06:15 PM
    I refuse to pay $0.99 after a year for Whatscrap. BBM is free and will always be. Beat that!
    12-24-13 06:19 PM
    BTW Whatsapp have a lot of "ghost" users. Difficult to determine how many cause so many drop the app after one year.

Posted via CB10
    curvezzz and adjdudley21 like this.
    12-24-13 06:20 PM
    It very well could be a regional thing. I'm in Canada.

EDIT - I hit your link and it's in the exact same place as my pic
    You're right, it's got to be a regional thing. I'm in the USA. I clicked my link just to make sure, and I had to scroll all the way to the bottom, click "Show More," and then scroll down 11 more lines.
    12-24-13 06:25 PM
309 ... 34567 ...