02-24-14 07:21 AM
309 12345 ...
tools
    I see no one mentioned another point which I think is pretty relevant.....

WhatsApp has been out 2009 and cross-platform, across how many platforms? 6
    Were the WhatsApp subcribers broken down by platform?
    WhatsApp is compatible with older Nokia Symbian OS devices, you'd be surprised how many people are still running around with those

BBM has been cross-platform for what, round about 2 months now?
    And across how many platforms exactly?
    3 - BlackBerry, Android and iOS
    So double the amount of platforms...
    And BBX on those platforms is literally a dumbed down bare bones basic, no video no voice, hardly any futures, so it would be difficult for these users to see the value with the very limited app they have

If you're going to draw such a substantial conclusion, all the contributing factors have to be taken into account

Posted via CB10 from my Z30
    evanmichael and rthonpm like this.
    12-24-13 03:52 PM
    BS?? Line, Kakao , viber all use simple phone number instead of ID or PIN. they are more convenient and successful than BBM
    Great point always learn from your competitors and improvise

Posted via CB10
    12-24-13 03:53 PM
    Maybe a solution would be following:
    1. BBM accesses users phone number and contacts.
    2. Users can see who has BBM installed.
    3. Users invite contacts by PIN.

My opinion is that this solution would be best of both worlds. You could immediately see who from your contacts is using BBM but invite and connect only to those who you really want to message. And for those who are concerned about anything with this solution, just refuse access to your phone number and contacts.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2
    MiSsY_ likes this.
    12-24-13 03:53 PM
    I see no one mentioned another point which I think is pretty relevant.....

WhatsApp has been out 2009 and cross-platform, across how many platforms? 6
    Were the WhatsApp subcribers broken down by platform?
    WhatsApp is compatible with older Nokia Symbian OS devices, you'd be surprised how many people are still running around with those

BBM has been cross-platform for what, round about 2 months now?
    And across how many platforms exactly?
    3 - BlackBerry, Android and iOS
    So double the amount of platforms...

If you're going to draw such a substantial conclusion, all the contributing factors have to be taken into account

Posted via CB10 from my Z30
    Fair enough...
    But tell me what's the harm in giving both the options.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-13 03:54 PM

My opinion is that this solution would be best of both worlds. You could immediately see who from your contacts is using BBM but invite and connect only to those who you really want to message. And for those who are concerned about anything with this solution, just refuse access to your phone number and contacts.

Exactly give options, get best of both the worlds.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-13 03:55 PM
    BS?? Line, Kakao , viber all use simple phone number instead of ID or PIN. they are more convenient and successful than BBM
    lol.... And once again, how long have they all been out? More than a couple of months yes? Not taking anything away from them at all but to compare the user base of platforms and say they are doing better and not take into account the time they've been out isn't exactly scientific. BBM has a ways to go but I really don't think saying they are being beaten after such a short period of time is realistic do you?
    OWCA83 likes this.
    12-24-13 03:55 PM
    I don't think whatsapp forces anything on you. You are agreeing to their terms when downloading the app and it is very clear it uses your phone number. In terms of privacy I would have to agree BBM is certainly better but people are lazy and don't remember their pins from what I have experienced or simply don't know how.

I tried getting my BBM list to grow with very little success and it always comes back to whatsapp. Out of 163 good contacts I have three people who installed it but still keep messaging me on whatsapp. I don't have anything against either platforms and like both.
    How is it difficult to add people ?? One of the things that BBM does is remind you to share your pin on Facebook and thats that. The excuse that people are lazy is weak sauce. There is no difficulty.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    12-24-13 03:57 PM
    Someone should start a poll and ask if it's alright with you if a social messaging program rips all your contacts off your phone just so that you don't need to add the people you want yourself... let consumers decide with real tangible numbers. not just a opinion.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    12-24-13 04:00 PM
    I'll just drop this here....

How do you get someone's phone #?...

That is all.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-13 04:02 PM
    CEOs can say whatever they want. I just want to see what will go down after users start paying 1 dollar a year.
    vrud likes this.
    12-24-13 04:05 PM
    I try to message half the people that whatsapp says has whatsapp, and they do not exist on whatsapp .that number is a fraud and even if that number has been tossed around publicly, it is not an accurate representation of active users.
    12-24-13 04:10 PM
    As said by myself and many before, having the privacy and ability to add "casual" contacts without giving them a phone number is extremely advantageous. If it so happens that I no longer wish to communicate with any contact, I can simply delete them and they cannot get back in contact with me or harass me. I don't know the phone number of many on my list and they don't know mine. Also, being able to pick and choose who I have on my BBM contacts is of value as opposed to just sweeping my contact directory and adding them. Many don't want everyone in their contacts to be BBM contacts.
    After that was said.. the discussion should be over.. this right there is exactly all that matters and what makes sense.

I have my supervisor at work saved on my phone.. he has what'sapp I have what'sapp..and guess what he doesn't need to see my status or pictures.. matter of fact..if I choose to sneak a message odd to my mother or brother or friend... while at work... I don't need him being able to just look at his phone and seen when last I was seen online or if I'm online! end of story next!

Posted via CB10
    rizdragon and ghundiraj like this.
    12-24-13 04:19 PM
    I'll just drop this here....

How do you get someone's phone #?...

That is all.

Posted via CB10
    I'll just drop this here

Why are you bbm'ing someone that doesn't have your number?

"Yeah I wanna text you but I'm not giving you my number" .
    12-24-13 04:20 PM
    I'll just drop this here

Question was because, he kept saying "y would you ask someone for their pin?"...how do u get someone's number in the first place?

Posted via CB10
    12-24-13 04:24 PM
    I'll just drop this here

I've met people out and about and online that I wouldn't give my number to. I simply don't know them. I've met some contacts and joined a group from this site and I wouldn't have if I had to give my number out. Of some of those, I've discovered that a few are, shall we say, a tad nuts. I think that's a pretty solid reason to your question.
    Nharzhool likes this.
    12-24-13 04:25 PM

I think BlackBerry already does this with the email you register with. The PIN is tied to the email. If someone else has your email, it shows up in their suggested BBM contacts list.

Posted via CB10
    Umaima_B_Dia likes this.
    12-24-13 04:26 PM
    On BBM, while I ignore one person and reply to the other, the ignored one cannot find out I am ignoring them; unlike whatsapp. Whatsapp is a stalker's delight.

There have been exhaustive discussions over BBM's benefits... in fact, there should be published research upon the importance of security and privacy in Instant Messaging.

Posted via my beautiful, red Q5 (10.2.1.1259)
    12-24-13 04:27 PM
    I think BlackBerry already does this with the email you register with. The PIN is tied to the email. If someone else has your email, it shows up in their suggested BBM contacts list.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly! And we have the liberty to add them and/or they have the liberty to accept/decline.

rizdragon likes this.
    12-24-13 04:28 PM
    $1 a year = $450 million which is $50m more than what BlackBerry loses per quarter. With 40 staff I would say it's pretty good.
    12-24-13 04:30 PM
    It's going to be impossible to beat whatsapp if BBM continues with PIN only option...Give people option those who like PIN let then use PIN and those who prefer to use Phone Number let then use phone Number.
    These are staggering numbers... I want BBM to be successful but I am convinced that BBM Pin will turn out to be BBM's biggest enemy.
    It's a simple fix that BlackBerry could do before it's too late.

Posted via CB10
    It's not the power of Phone Number vs Pin, so much as it's lack of privacy and self propagation.

I have plenty of contacts who I'd never wish to have my phone number. Instant messaging should first and foremost be an avenue of communication only when the receiver wishes to receive correspondence. I have over 3 thousand contacts... only perhaps 200 of them have my actual phone number. Anybody who wishes to contact me can only do so by the methods in which I allow them to do so.

What good is a Whatsapp contact, whom I've decided to block and no longer correspond with, who can then turn around and call or SMS me willy nilly? No. No thank you.
    12-24-13 04:35 PM
    $1 a year = $450 million which is $50m more than what BlackBerry loses per quarter. With 40 staff I would say it's pretty good.
    Considering they aren't getting that yet, and I keep hearing of people getting an added free year, $400 million (their actual stated number of monthly users, not 450 million) is not what they are getting. Since they aren't public, there's no way to know what they actually make.
    Errrm don't you have to use something to be called a user?
    Exactly! And we have the liberty to add them and/or they have the liberty to accept/decline.

Then they should do it with phone numbers also.

12-24-13 04:38 PM
    Then they should do it with phone numbers also.

The flaw there... is that even if you block a person all you want from the IM client... they still have your phone number to bug you via SMS or actual phone calls.
    12-24-13 04:40 PM
    The flaw there... is that even if you block a person all you want from the IM client... they still have your phone number to bug you via SMS or actual phone calls.
    +1000000000

Posted via CB10
    12-24-13 04:42 PM
309 12345 ...