02-24-14 07:21 AM
309 ... 89101112 ...
tools
    I can't tell if you guys are serious or trolling.

Bbm has been out for 1.5 months - whatsapp since 2009 (5 years)

Bbm is on 3 platforms - whatsapp is on 6, including Nokia cheap asha phones.

This is the same as comparing BlackBerry World to the app store or Google play.

It's a stupid comparison given how long Whatsapps been on the market and the amount of devices there on.

Posted via CB10
    What does trolling have to do with my comment. It's an observation.

This is a Troll comment - "WhatsApp is the best ever, nothing will ever compare. BBM will die" or "BBM is the best ever, nothing will ever compare, WhatsApp will die".
    12-25-13 09:29 PM
    What country are you in?

Posted via CB10
    I'm in the U.S., as are most of my BBM contacts.

For what it's worth, I've been using whatsapp for a couple of years and am a recent convert to BBM. In my experience, BBM has a faaar more active user base and is definitely superior in terms of speed, privacy and depth and breadth of features. BBM has been around much longer though so I guess that makes sense.
    12-25-13 09:34 PM
    What does trolling have to do with my comment. It's an observation.

This is a Troll comment - "WhatsApp is the best ever, nothing will ever compare. BBM will die" or "BBM is the best ever, nothing will ever compare, WhatsApp will die".
    That part of my comment wasn't directed towards you, it was to the tone of the forum.

But I still stand by my prior statement.

Posted via CB10
    12-25-13 09:44 PM
    I'm in the U.S., as are most of my BBM contacts.

For what it's worth, I've been using whatsapp for a couple of years and am a recent convert to BBM. In my experience, BBM has a faaar more active user base and is definitely superior in terms of speed, privacy and depth and breadth of features. BBM has been around much longer though so I guess that makes sense.
    In september, BBM was claiming 10 billion messages per day and Whatsapp 27 billion messages per day. If the ratio of the time has held (10 billion messages for 40 million users vs 27 billion messages for 300 million users) that's 250 messages per day per user on BBM vs 90 messages per day per user on whatsapp.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    12-25-13 09:52 PM
    That part of my comment wasn't directed towards you, it was to the tone of the forum.

But I still stand by my prior statement.

Posted via CB10
    And you have valid points and I welcome your counter arguments. Perhaps a year or two when BBM has settled then accurate comparisons can be made.
    12-25-13 10:02 PM
    I'll just drop this here

Why are you bbm'ing someone that doesn't have your number?

"Yeah I wanna text you but I'm not giving you my number" .
    That's exactly what BBM can be used for. Say you met a girl at a bar. She's hot and everything, but who knows if she's bat**** crazy or not. This way if she's constantly bbming you, just delete her. Can't do that if she has your number

Posted via CB10
    megajo123 and Dave Bourque like this.
    12-25-13 10:03 PM
    WhatsApp is for acquaintances and casual business contacts, BBM is for friends and family, I don't want random people who have my number knowing my business, travels or personal updates!!

Go BBM!!!

Robertino BB-Z10
    12-25-13 10:07 PM
    I bet that everybody on this thread has or had Whatsapp installed on their phone. This also includes the super concerned about their security and privacy.
    So Whatsapp already has your complete contacts list.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2
    Had it on my nexus one. Hated it. Never going back to that... thing...

I just don't get the point of a service that does what your phone already does. BBM is different. The whole point is to NOT use phone numbers. That's why you can't send BBM messages to phone numbers. They're entirely different philosophies. If phone numbers are so great why doesn't snap chat use em? Because it's an entirely different service that has a different purpose. The question is do people need a service that's like BBM or like what's app? I would argue a phone already does what what's app does well enough making the dawn thing redundant. BBM is a supplement as proven by the fact that it has survived and thrived on BlackBerry phones for so long.

Posted via CB10
    12-25-13 10:36 PM
    That's exactly what BBM can be used for. Say you met a girl at a bar. She's hot and everything, but who knows if she's bat**** crazy or not. This way if she's constantly bbming you, just delete her. Can't do that if she has your number

Posted via CB10
    You can mark her number as spam...lol

Sent From My New IPad using Tapatalk
    12-25-13 10:43 PM
    Pre - BBMX

* I can't believe Whatsapp, first they said they will support BB10 when it launches, now they've back tracked!
    * Yes!! OpenWhatsapp is here, forget Whatsapp they know where to shove it now!
    * OMG OMG Whatsapp are bringing their native app to BB10!! (openwhatsapp disappears in to darkness)

Post - BBMX

- Crackberry Team & loyal "followers":
    * Whatsapp down again?
    * Who's uninstalling Whatsapp?
    * Whatsapp isn't safe, your messages aren't secure

I've said this before and I'll say it again, I hope Blackberry remains the number 4 mobile OS, I'd hate to see all these arrogant folk on their high horses changing their tune, again, one minute they are supporting a developer, the next minute they turn and stab them in the back.

You weren't all discussing whether mobile numbers are safe or not etc when everyone was backing OpenWhatsapps and getting signatures to pump the petitions to get Whatsapp to build native, granted there may be a better alternative for some of you in the form of PINs, but there's no need to be so hostile about it.

This is where I'd usually finish off by offending someone but I won't, these mods get trigger happy with their infractions
    We already know we have people coming in a posting false stuff here, those pro whattsapp posts could have been from them.

And having the phone number separated from a pin helps in many ways for security. With Bbm, an issue like this is not a problem:

http://www.businessinsider.com/secur...t-hack-2013-12

Just change the phone number, with whatsapp, your list would be at risk.

Nice to have preference for sure, but usernames and pins in the mobile world just seem safer, most phone companies will not blacklist unless you pay, and getting your phone number changed may be easy, but annoying.

BlackBerry forever, haters never!
    12-25-13 11:20 PM
    I can't tell if you guys are serious or trolling.

Bbm has been out for 1.5 months - whatsapp since 2009 (5 years)

Bbm is on 3 platforms - whatsapp is on 6, including Nokia cheap asha phones.

This is the same as comparing BlackBerry World to the app store or Google play.

It's a stupid comparison given how long Whatsapps been on the market and the amount of devices there on.

Posted via CB10
    I really hope you mean the time frame mentioned for Bbm is the length for all phone platforms and not the program itself, if so your coming to a debate way uninformed.

Just sayin, you may,want to clarify that. Bbm has been out way longer than whatsapp, the cross platform is only a few months.

12-25-13 11:24 PM
    I have to agree with the OP here. Many people on this thread are simply dismissing the idea, but they don't realize that in the long run, it doesn't really effect them. Its simply an option to use your phone number instead of a PIN its not saying you have to. What if BBM was intergrated with texting for those who don't have mobile data on IOS and Android, it means they'll use BBM more, and more people would use it, while us BlackBerry users can simply keep our pins, and have all the security we want.
    12-25-13 11:36 PM
    Blackberry has 2 years cash to stay afloat. BBM got off to a fast start but downloads now are nowhere near the launch. PIN system may not be fast enough to get the numbers required to make money out of the system. It's free right now but what happens when subscriptions or Ads are added while the competition continues to rack up more users. Also, BBM is not a hip looking App that would appeal to the young masses. A redesign would help as it looks a decade old.
    We don't need a hip looking, misguiding, sexting and other blah blah type app that makes the young generation loose track in an illusion type world and make them more vulnerable.

Bbm should be more of practical and for those who really value their time and get things done.

We have developers group, entrepreneurs group, stock traders group and we really count on getting and delivering our messages on safe environment and reliably.

People should get serious and learn the real deal.

Posted via CB10
    12-26-13 12:56 AM
    You can mark her number as spam...lol

Sent From My New IPad using Tapatalk
    Which stops her from using Whatsapp to annoy you. But as others have pointed out, now that she has you number she can call or SMS you. And if you block her via those routes she can just call from another number. And then another, and another. She has your number, forever. Granted it would take a truly off their rocker person to harass someone like that.

Personally I think Whatsapp is fine and great for those that could not care less. But using a PIN does have advantages -- just not enough to "out mass market" Whatsapp.
    semperfi45 and shupor like this.
    12-26-13 01:16 AM
    We don't need a hip looking, misguiding, sexting and other blah blah type app that makes the young generation loose track in an illusion type world and make them more vulnerable.

Bbm should be more of practical and for those who really value their time and get things done.

We have developers group, entrepreneurs group, stock traders group and we really count on getting and delivering our messages on safe environment and reliably.

People should get serious and learn the real deal.

Posted via CB10
    I get what you mean. My uncle still has his furniture and fixtures from the 70s.
    12-26-13 01:20 AM
    I really hope you mean the time frame mentioned for Bbm is the length for all phone platforms and not the program itself, if so your coming to a debate way uninformed.

Just sayin, you may,want to clarify that. Bbm has been out way longer than whatsapp, the cross platform is only a few months.

This is clearly a cross platform discussion.

Posted via CB10
    12-26-13 01:52 AM
    I'm not down with this pin BS. I vote for phone numbers. I still have zero contacts on the bloody thing!

Posted via CB10
    12-26-13 02:00 AM
    This ia bull****. They say that added 100M users, but it's not true. They can't control it well. For example, I deleted mine 6 months ago, and I'm still showing in most of my friends lists including my girlfriend. WhatsApp is a stupid liar!

Posted via awesome BlackBerry Z10!
    12-26-13 07:07 AM
    Do a Google on it..there CEO is quoting it....Numbers make sense...as soon as you add a contact it becomes a whatsapp user and you are very likely to engage with them then trying to find BBM PIN for someone

Posted via CB10
    He can quotes whatever he wants. The point here is if it's true or not.

12-26-13 07:09 AM
    This ia bull****. They say that added 100M users, but it's not true. They can't control it well. For example, I deleted mine 6 months ago, and I'm still showing in most of my friends lists including my girlfriend. WhatsApp is a stupid liar!

Did you 'delete account' before deleting the app? I don't show up on any one's contact list since deleting my account
    12-26-13 09:26 AM
    It's going to be impossible to beat whatsapp if BBM continues with PIN only option...Give people option those who like PIN let then use PIN and those who prefer to use Phone Number let then use phone Number.
    These are staggering numbers... I want BBM to be successful but I am convinced that BBM Pin will turn out to be BBM's biggest enemy.
    It's a simple fix that BlackBerry could do before it's too late.

Posted via CB10
    Private CAN companies lie, and WhatsApp are LYING it to appear as winners in the media. Public companies cannot lie (Unless they are blatantly dishonest like BBRY under Heins) as they will get sued and violate SEC disclosure rules.

Hence, an honest BBRy run by Chen will not pump out lies..like BBM hits 200M etc
    12-26-13 09:26 AM

lol and you are such a credible source. Couldn't convince your girlfriend and friends using BBM exclusively
    12-26-13 09:30 AM
    I was added to a group on whatsapp that I didn't ask to be, just showed up in it.. that, I'm not a fan of, no invite or anything

Posted via CB10
    that exact thing happened to me, a lot of people in that group grabbed my phone number, I abandoned the group but the owner kept pulling me in, no matter if I blocked the owner as contact he still could pull me in, I had to uninstall Whatsapp.
    Last edited by TioPepe78; 12-26-13 at 11:00 AM.
    12-26-13 09:39 AM
    I really dont belive 100M in 4 months...

C002C4374 HD wallpapers
    12-26-13 09:52 AM
    I bet that everybody on this thread has or had Whatsapp installed on their phone. This also includes the super concerned about their security and privacy.
    So Whatsapp already has your complete contacts list.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2
    You would lose that bet. I have never had whatsapp on my phone.

What ticks me off though is my husband's work uses whatsapp for communicating between employees - therefore I know that whatsapp has my number.

Coincidently it was shortly after that I started to get the 'you have won a free cruise' phone calls. Is this because of whatsapp? I can't prove it but I strongly suspect it.

Posted via CB10
    Davidro1 likes this.
    12-26-13 10:17 AM
309 ... 89101112 ...