12-27-13 02:20 AM
    No, just no.

Z30 - The Final Destination - 859 Portage ave, Winnipeg Mb Clothing|Footwear|Headwear|Headshop|Tobacconist|Ta ttoos - C00016D82
    12-27-13 02:41 AM
    It's going to be impossible to beat whatsapp if BBM continues with PIN only option...Give people option those who like PIN let then use PIN and those who prefer to use Phone Number let then use phone Number.
    These are staggering numbers... I want BBM to be successful but I am convinced that BBM Pin will turn out to be BBM's biggest enemy.
    It's a simple fix that BlackBerry could do before it's too late.

My purpose of this post is to engage an active discussion so that we are paying attention to competitions strengths.. I am a BBM fan myself and would love to see it be a massive success.

Posted via CB10
    The phone number should be an option but not the only solution. The PIN is universal across all platforms and it works.

Phone number system (like Whatsapp) has its flaws. I am overseas right now, swapped my SIM card to a local one and it pretty much broke Whatsapp and all the contacts. THAT IS NUTS.

Posted via CB Forums iOS app
    12-27-13 02:48 AM
    WhatsApp is an SMS replacement. BBM is more akin to a traditional IM client. WhatsApp using numbers makes perfect sense. Its designed to work exactly like SMS, which uses numbers. That's the whole point of it. That's why it only focuses on keeping feature parity with SMS clients.

The two services are only loosely comparable because their focus and design/intent differ.

That's why WhatsApp is only usable from phones and they port to every platform relatively quickly. They even refer to the media transfer component of their service as MMS... It's nothing more than an SMS/MMS app that uses data to avoid the cost disadvantage of traditional SMS/MMS.

How do you text someone without having or revealing you phone number to them? You don't...

The argument over pin and numbers is stupid. The reason why WhatsApp is so popular is because it gives everything SMS/MMS gives, except its usually faster, way cheaper (than international texting) and has feedback as to message status. It also supports group texting while many phones still don't (availability of Hangouts as an SMS client on Android makes them all group text capable, though Samsung devices native app is group text-ready).

WhatsApp capitalized on glaring weaknesses in SMS/MMS (cost, feedback, speed) and benefited by developing a solution and then propagating it everywhere.
    A service cannot be as east as SMS/MMS without the phone numbers being used. They were also quick to implement push notifications so battery drain was a lot lower than other clients which polled constantly or used an always on service and live connection to a server...

WhatsApp is intended to be used the same way SMS/MMS is. If you wouldn't text them, you won't WhatsApp them. If you prefer something different, then use something different, the same way you BBM instead of SMS/MMS.

However, solutions like BBM went cross platform way too late to usurp them, despite existing years longer.

Complaining about WhatsApp using phone numbers shows a fundamental lack of understanding regarding the service's design and intent.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    12-27-13 03:02 AM
    BlackBerry missed a golden opportunity to put out their own cross-platform messaging before others did. Now it's too late. They will never match WhatsApp numbers.

Similarly BlackBerry I recently found out had an epic fail of seizing opportunity when (some of you laugh at this but you are in a minority and refuse to or fail to see clearly) it didn't sign up the up and coming Bieber right before he exploded (and long before he fell apart), which would have filled an obvious gaping hole in BlackBerry consumer base and sold a lot of phones. (disclaimer: neither a fan or hater) .

Now, as a result, barely running on fumes, BlackBerry's new leader Chen has a real challenge. I hope he can do it.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-13 06:18 AM
    It's going to be impossible to beat whatsapp if BBM continues with PIN only option...Give people option those who like PIN let then use PIN and those who prefer to use Phone Number let then use phone Number.
    These are staggering numbers... I want BBM to be successful but I am convinced that BBM Pin will turn out to be BBM's biggest enemy.
    It's a simple fix that BlackBerry could do before it's too late.

My purpose of this post is to engage an active discussion so that we are paying attention to competitions strengths.. I am a BBM fan myself and would love to see it be a massive success.

Posted via CB10
    Yeah it is NOT a simple fix and it is a fix, BlackBerry, as a company with a certain mission statement, should NOT approach. Thanks.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-13 06:42 AM
    Happy Whatsapping...... you might find your private conversations on this webpage soon! WhatsappCopy

Whatsapp, .... just Crap!

BalloonPop2 has been removed from the Google Play store after it was found to be stealing users’ WhatsApp conversations, and offering them for sale.

More in depth info: http://grahamcluley.com/2013/12/andr...s-offers-sale/
    12-27-13 07:33 AM
    Happy Whatsapping...... you might find your private conversations on this webpage soon! WhatsappCopy

Whatsapp, .... just Crap!

BalloonPop2 has been removed from the Google Play store after it was found to be stealing users’ WhatsApp conversations, and offering them for sale.

More in depth info: Android game steals WhatsApp chats and offers them for sale
    Are you not able to copy and paste a BBM conversation ??
    12-27-13 10:02 AM
    Are you not able to copy and paste a BBM conversation ??
    Wut?

Posted via CB10
    12-27-13 06:33 PM
    Wut?

Posted via CB10
    he's pointing out that that particular security flaw is simply malware copying local data files on the phone and uploading them. presumably it could be done just as easily with BlackBerry Messenger on android.
    12-27-13 07:04 PM
    Someone pointed out that a new phone number (when they travel overseas) means that Whatsapp konks out.

In BBM, what happens when I change PIN? I have a new BlackBerry phone (new PIN). Only my bbid stays the same. What do I lose, what do I have to perform to keep BBM contacts going, etc..

I downloaded Whatsapp, used it, and deleted it. A month later I began receiving calls from a free cruise promoter. I have a few other phone numbers. They don't get calls from this promoter.

Since I only deleted the app (Whatsapp), my phone number must be in their user list still. I'll guess that sometime around 2017 the accountants shall start demanding that Whatsapp's claims of user base size be more closely correlated to reality. My guess.

Posted via CB10
    12-27-13 08:39 PM
    Someone pointed out that a new phone number (when they travel overseas) means that Whatsapp konks out.

In BBM, what happens when I change PIN? I have a new BlackBerry phone (new PIN). Only my bbid stays the same. What do I lose, what do I have to perform to keep BBM contacts going, etc..

I downloaded Whatsapp, used it, and deleted it. A month later I began receiving calls from a free cruise promoter. I have a few other phone numbers. They don't get calls from this promoter.

Since I only deleted the app (Whatsapp), my phone number must be in their user list still. I'll guess that sometime around 2017 the accountants shall start demanding that Whatsapp's claims of user base size be more closely correlated to reality. My guess.

Posted via CB10
    Did you make sure to delete your number in the app before deleting the app ??

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    12-27-13 11:04 PM
    Hehe I converted my whatsapp group to bbm. Now we don't use whatsapp anymore.

I recently deleted my number from whatsapp

Q10 ~ 10.2.1.1925
    12-27-13 11:23 PM

Posted via CB10
    Your contacts will follow the BBID you use.

I recently switched my BBID from Z10 back to my 9900 because I accidentally dropped the phone in water. I belong to a couple of BBM groups associated with that BBID. I also have BBMx on my SGIII. When I went to put the BBID on the 9900 I put the BBID I had on the SGIII to see what would happen. I had only four contacts and no BBM groups. I then did a wipe of data only on the 9900 and loaded the BBID I'd had on the Z10 and all my groups and contacts came right over. What did NOT come over were the chats.

So your contacts will follow your BBID regardless of device PIN but your chats won't transfer from BB10 to another device. I believe they will from BBOS to BBOS but I'm saying that out of memory. I don't remember BB10 settings allowing you to save info like on BBOS.

Sent from a smartphone of my choosing.
    Last edited by qbnkelt; 12-28-13 at 04:21 AM.
    12-28-13 03:35 AM
    Question for all the BBM advocates out there, what happens if you swap your phone (e.g. use a Q10 during the week and a Z30 at weekends)?Won't that mean you're on a different PIN so nobody can reach you?

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 04:11 AM
    Question for all the BBM advocates out there, what happens if you swap your phone (e.g. use a Q10 during the week and a Z30 at weekends)?Won't that mean you're on a different PIN so nobody can reach you?

Posted via CB10
    No. The BBID will bring your contacts from your Q10 to your Z3. I just wrote a long post just above yours that explains how BBID maintains your contacts regardless of your PIN. All my contacts and groups went, intact, from my Z to my 9900.
    12-28-13 04:18 AM

Posted via CB10
    Your pin changes but your contacts still have you as a contact but with your new pin.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 04:19 AM
    So every distant client app/device which has your PIN in stored their phone book or memo pad gets automatically updated as well as on your phone?

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 04:26 AM
    So every distant client app/device which has your PIN in stored their phone book or memo pad gets automatically updated as well as on your phone?

Posted via CB10
    I'm not sure what you mean by that.

BBM contacts follow the BBID around regardless of the PIN. If I take the BBID from my SGIII and put it on my iPhone, the contacts I had on my SGIII will show up on my iPhone. It doesn't matter the device or the phone number or the phone book or the memo pad for the BBM contacts to show up, what matters is the BBID.

BBM contacts tied to your BBID have got nothing to do with your phone book, they are independent of your phone book and your phone number. Most of my BBID contacts associated with CB groups haven't got my phone number.
    12-28-13 04:35 AM
    OK thanks. I was thinking more of what happens at the other end, if your contact has you referenced only by the PIN (as often happens for 'random' chats). Wouldn't they lose touch, or is their device also updated with your new 'active' pin? This could be an advantage of course...

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 04:58 AM
    No. The BBID will bring your contacts from your Q10 to your Z3. I just wrote a long post just above yours that explains how BBID maintains your contacts regardless of your PIN. All my contacts and groups went, intact, from my Z to my 9900.
    This is true. Except the group chats will be the only thing that transfers over. The normal chats will not. Just the contacts.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 05:11 AM
    OK thanks. I was thinking more of what happens at the other end, if your contact has you referenced only by the PIN (as often happens for 'random' chats). Wouldn't they lose touch, or is their device also updated with your new 'active' pin? This could be an advantage of course...

Posted via CB10
    I can't speak to how contacts might have me referenced. All I know is that in every single instance of changing phones around since later updates to BB7, my BBM contacts have gone with the BBID. Way back in the past there were times when BBM contacts were lost and I'd have to reinvite. Since late BBOS7 and on BB!0 all contacts move with the BBID.

BBOS had the option to sync contacts via email address, where you could save your contacts via your email address and then resync if you moved your BBM instance to another device. That changed later, it's all automatically saved to your BBID. On BBOS you can also save your chats. I don't remember that option being available on BB10 and as I mentioned I can't check since my Z is dead after getting wet.

Oh and I just noticed that on BBMx I can save chat history....so BB10 must also have that option.
    12-28-13 05:26 AM
    I can't speak to how contacts might have me referenced. All I know is that in every single instance of changing phones around since later updates to BB7, my BBM contacts have gone with the BBID. Way back in the past there were times when BBM contacts were lost and I'd have to reinvite. Since late BBOS7 and on BB!0 all contacts move with the BBID.

BBOS had the option to sync contacts via email address, where you could save your contacts via your email address and then resync if you moved your BBM instance to another device. That changed later, it's all automatically saved to your BBID. On BBOS you can also save your chats. I don't remember that option being available on BB10 and as I mentioned I can't check since my Z is dead after getting wet.

Oh and I just noticed that on BBMx I can save chat history....so BB10 must also have that option.
    There is a slider to save chats. But every time I have had it on and then wipe the device or load a leak and wipe then reconnect my BlackBerry ID and start BBM the only chats that return are my group chats. My individual chats never come back. I even did a restore this load and didn't even get my chats back... pretty lame. I have lost some good conversations. The only thing I can think of is the slider prevents the older chats from getting deleted. Before anything older than 3 or 5 days would disappear on its own. Or its broken.

Posted via CB10
    12-28-13 05:38 AM
    There is a slider to save chats. But every time I have had it on and then wipe the device or load a leak and wipe then reconnect my BlackBerry ID and start BBM the only chats that return are my group chats. My individual chats never come back. I even did a restore this load and didn't even get my chats back... pretty lame. I have lost some good conversations. The only thing I can think of is the slider prevents the older chats from getting deleted. Before anything older than 3 or 5 days would disappear on its own. Or its broken.

Posted via CB10
    Oh dang.....that's too bad. I just activated it when I noticed it while on this thread.
    12-28-13 05:43 AM
    I don't care... BBM doesn't have to be number one but number two should be the goal!
    And hell No to numbers, pin is the best way and most secure option!

I don't think bbm will ever be number one, because the most people are too stupid for pins but that doesn't mean that BlackBerry has to change.
    People who understand the story behind the pins will understand that this is the best way to go...
    And people who wants a messenger service which is the most secure... will use BBM... and people who gives a **** about their privacy will stick to whatsCrap...

C00121417
    Umaima_B_Dia likes this.
    12-28-13 05:51 AM
309 ... 10111213