WhatsApp has 400 million phone numbers, not 400 million users. That place is a total ghost town. I've heard that BBM delivers more messages each day, and among my contacts that is certainly true. I have more contacts who are counted as WhatsApp "users" but none of them seem to use it. Everybody's status is "Last seen four months ago."

BBM, on the other hand, is extremely active.
    12-25-13 02:35 PM
    WhatsApp has 400 million phone numbers, not 400 million users. That place is a total ghost town. I've heard that BBM delivers more messages each day, and among my contacts that is certainly true. I have more contacts who are counted as WhatsApp "users" but none of them seem to use it. Everybody's status is "Last seen four months ago."

What country are you in?

Posted via CB10
    12-25-13 02:37 PM
    BS, LINE uses User ID to find and add people to your contacts. I have LINE right now on my BlackBerry. Same goes to KakaoTalk, because that thing rips off LINE

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.0.1791
    I also have LINE and Kakao. you don't need ID to use the service that is optional
    12-25-13 03:02 PM
    Lol what your talking is nonsense, the other contact must have whatsapp to count, and let me hear what's a good reason for phone # over pin?

Posted via CB10
    They are all just numbers!
    12-25-13 03:24 PM
    I hope the bus driver is pulled over before sending each message. The stats on distracted driving are worse than drunk driving. And if this is organized by the school they could be liable too. Just sayin...
    Our bus system has a driver and a bus lady (or Bus Mom). She makes sure all the kids have seat belts and calls or WhatsApp or BBM or text (whatever) parents if there are incidents. They recently added arrival times of the bus. Read my post again. It's school bus lady I wrote, not driver.
    12-25-13 04:21 PM
    Blackberry has 2 years cash to stay afloat. BBM got off to a fast start but downloads now are nowhere near the launch. PIN system may not be fast enough to get the numbers required to make money out of the system. It's free right now but what happens when subscriptions or Ads are added while the competition continues to rack up more users. Also, BBM is not a hip looking App that would appeal to the young masses. A redesign would help as it looks a decade old.
    12-25-13 04:31 PM
    PIN is the bomb, privacy, security and it's unique. I love it.

Posted via CB10
    Umaima_B_Dia and RedFoxOne like this.
    12-25-13 04:34 PM
    I rather share my pin and everyone in my area seems to be taking to BBM anyway so I am good.

Once they make it easier to add people and add in those features that us BlackBerry users already have I think it will jump ahead big time.

Posted via CB10
    12-25-13 04:39 PM
    PIN is the bomb, privacy, security and it's unique. I love it.

Posted via CB10
    Not to mention if she is cray cray, it's simple to delete and ignore all future invites.

Posted via CB10
    SDTRMG likes this.
    12-25-13 04:39 PM
    It's going to be impossible to beat whatsapp if BBM continues with PIN only option...Give people option those who like PIN let then use PIN and those who prefer to use Phone Number let then use phone Number.
    These are staggering numbers... I want BBM to be successful but I am convinced that BBM Pin will turn out to be BBM's biggest enemy.
    It's a simple fix that BlackBerry could do before it's too late.

Posted via CB10
    U can add a contact via phone number through bbm... So what's the problem

Posted via CB10
    12-25-13 04:41 PM
    Look I would love BBM to beat crappy out of whatsapp but by not giving default option to add by phone they are shooting themselves in the head.
    Whatsapp success speaks for itself....Learn from thier success and improvise.

Posted via CB10
    I think you meant to say improve.
    12-25-13 05:01 PM
    You realise that BBM could achieve the same thing with a PIN. Its just a questions of making available all contacts in your contact to list to others. Not everybody wants that. Its not a question of PIN vs phone number. LAs thing I want is everybody with my phone number.
    12-25-13 05:09 PM
    ...using a phone number is stupid, am ID stays with you...not the phone or SIM...BBM has been cross platform for how long?...and currently growing at the same rate?...what's the problem?...BBM on BlackBerry is far better than WhatsApp on any platform...once all the BlackBerry features cross over as well...forgot WhatsApp...and to this 'oh it's easier'...no it isn't bar code pop up and scan vs typing a number (potentially misstyping) and double checking...vs an automated scan...this argument against PIN hasn't been well thought out...

Posted with my awesome Z10...or maybe even my Q10...50/50 chance...
    12-25-13 05:29 PM

Today, we’re proud to announce that because of you, WhatsApp has reached a milestone that no other mobile messaging service has achieved: 400 million monthly active users, with 100 million active users added in the last four months alone. This isn’t a count of people who just registered for WhatsApp – it’s the number of people who are actively using the service every single month.
    WhatsApp Blog
    12-25-13 05:41 PM
    While security and privacy are key points for PIN users, I'm sure the bulk of WhatsApp or other IM users under 20 don't care too much about them. My kids are under 15, chit chats with their friends about latest fashions and albums. WhatsApp or Line are enough for them. Maybe when they get older (over 30) and privacy and security become concerns they'll switch but at their age and they way they broadcast everything to the world via selfies on FB or Twitter, privacy and security are not the first things on their minds.
    12-25-13 05:50 PM
    I installed BBM when it came on iOS. I saw the PIN code I had to remember to tell others to add me. Then I saw everyone posting their PINs to add them. Horrendously inconvenient. Went back to WhatsApp where all my contacts are automatically added. Don't even have to do anything.
    12-25-13 06:01 PM
    While security and privacy are key points for PIN users, I'm sure the bulk of WhatsApp or other IM users under 20 don't care too much about them. My kids are under 15, chit chats with their friends about latest fashions and albums. WhatsApp or Line are enough for them. Maybe when they get older (over 30) and privacy and security become concerns they'll switch but at their age and they way they broadcast everything to the world via selfies on FB or Twitter, privacy and security are not the first things on their minds.
    Perfect example: https://www.facebook.com/groups/195051800590587/
    Out of 40 people. 24 posted their phone and pin number with 2 couldn't remember the pin.
    12-25-13 06:45 PM
    I don't understand how hard it is to add people, u can add by email, phone number, or pin. What's so difficult? This world can't be that stupid can it?

Posted via CB10
    12-25-13 06:51 PM
    I also have LINE and Kakao. you don't need ID to use the service that is optional
    The ID allows people to find and add you. The phone number part is only there to allow them to send you the verification number, the phone number itself is not used anywhere else

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.0.1791
    12-25-13 06:58 PM

This is my exact experience with Whatsapp. I talked to one person on Whatsapp, and there reslly.the only reason I have the app. My bbm list went from 13 too well over 100 since bbmx.

I own and run a couple retail clothing stores, and keep in contact with my customers. I'll easily give em my bbm, or post it to any social network. But I'd never want any of them to have my person number.

Posted via CB10
    12-25-13 08:20 PM
    I can't tell if you guys are serious or trolling.

Bbm has been out for 1.5 months - whatsapp since 2009 (5 years)

Bbm is on 3 platforms - whatsapp is on 6, including Nokia cheap asha phones.

This is the same as comparing BlackBerry World to the app store or Google play.

It's a stupid comparison given how long Whatsapps been on the market and the amount of devices there on.

Posted via CB10
    12-25-13 08:30 PM
    Whatsapp is NSA? /jk...or am I?...

Posted via CB10
    12-25-13 08:37 PM
    I'll just drop this here

Why are you bbm'ing someone that doesn't have your number?

"Yeah I wanna text you but I'm not giving you my number" .
    Exactly that. I might want to chat via IM with someone I know on this forum but nowhere else, for example. A PIN is a good way to both talk to them without having to give over my voice number too.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    12-25-13 08:44 PM

Where are you, geographically?

For me, whatsapp is much more active (though facebook is far more active than both of those put together) and I kind of think North American users are going to think whatsapp is more active and Middle East and Indonesian users are going to think BBM is more active.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    12-25-13 09:04 PM
    WhatsApp is more successful because is working on all platforms already long time ago. BBM came cross platform only recently.
    I know people that came now to BBM and all admit that it's better than whaysapp! It will take some time for people get know of it, then I am sure will become very popular.

Sent from my Z 30
    12-25-13 09:19 PM
309 ... 7891011 ...