Do a Google on it..there CEO is quoting it....Numbers make sense...as soon as you add a contact it becomes a whatsapp user and you are very likely to engage with them then trying to find BBM PIN for someone

Posted via CB10
    Absolutely. This is why I use whatsapp and virtually stopped using BBM except for those moments for work contacts on my BB. As for my personal phone which I use 95% of times, I have not even bothered downloading BBM as every contact I have or add in my phone list the whatsapp icon shows up. There is no more convenience than that.

Sent from my HTC One using CB Forums mobile app
    12-25-13 10:14 AM
    Until BBM comes to every platform whatsapp is better. BBM is a thing of the past, it had a small period of fame when it came to iOS and Android but now its back in the corner.
    Don't think either platform is better than the other but if you look at the Google Play or App Store ranking it clearly shows how many people adopt a certain platform. BBM was great back in the day when there was no alternatives. Everybody had a Blackberry device and in order to communicate instantly they used BBM and signed up for a pin.

Many people here are so concerned about Whatsapp using their phone number yet they have Google Accounts, signing up on other websites, register for contests, purchase things online, et etc..... they all ask for a phone number and I bet the majority of people provide this information (plus address, credit card and a lot more information) in a heart beat without even thinking twice. They trust them that they don't sell the list to another company but when it comes to Whatsapp who specializes in messaging it is a seriously privacy issue. Seems a bit hypocritical to me.
    12-25-13 10:21 AM
    Don't think either platform is better than the other but if you look at the Google Play or App Store ranking it clearly shows how many people adopt a certain platform. BBM was great back in the day when there was no alternatives. Everybody had a Blackberry device and in order to communicate instantly they used BBM and signed up for a pin.

Many people here are so concerned about Whatsapp using their phone number yet they have Google Accounts, signing up on other websites, register for contests, purchase things online, et etc..... they all ask for a phone number and I bet the majority of people provide this information (plus address, credit card and a lot more information) in a heart beat without even thinking twice. They trust them that they don't sell the list to another company but when it comes to Whatsapp who specializes in messaging it is a seriously privacy issue. Seems a bit hypocritical to me.
    Hypocritical ? Its not just a phone number its your entire contact list....

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    FuNKBerryZ likes this.
    12-25-13 10:22 AM
    Just cuz you add a new contact doesn't mean they are a new whatsapp user!

This is all wrong

Q10 ~ 10.2.1.1925
    extisis likes this.
    12-25-13 10:25 AM
    I don't want my plumber to have my whatsapp. I have over 350 contacts on my phone for business. I don't want them to be able to reach me of hours. That's why I use bbm. The pin handshake.

Q10 ~ 10.2.1.1925
    adjdudley21 and extisis like this.
    12-25-13 10:28 AM
    Hypocritical ? Its not just a phone number its your entire contact list....

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    You didn't read the full post Dave. Please give me an example of Whatsapp selling somebody's number including the entire contact list.
    I bet you can't but I can give you an example from a couple of days ago:

"In a press release posted on the Target website, the Minneapolis-based retailer admitted that approximately 40 million credit and debit card accounts may have been impacted by the breach." Target Hacked: Retailer Confirms 'Unauthorized Access' Of Credit Card Data

I'm sure at least 0.5 percent of those 40 million people had a blackberry. Yet they won't give out the phone number to whatsapp? Yes I call those hypocritical.
    12-25-13 10:32 AM
    Pre - BBMX

* I can't believe Whatsapp, first they said they will support BB10 when it launches, now they've back tracked!
    * Yes!! OpenWhatsapp is here, forget Whatsapp they know where to shove it now!
    * OMG OMG Whatsapp are bringing their native app to BB10!! (openwhatsapp disappears in to darkness)

Post - BBMX

- Crackberry Team & loyal "followers":
    * Whatsapp down again?
    * Who's uninstalling Whatsapp?
    * Whatsapp isn't safe, your messages aren't secure

I've said this before and I'll say it again, I hope Blackberry remains the number 4 mobile OS, I'd hate to see all these arrogant folk on their high horses changing their tune, again, one minute they are supporting a developer, the next minute they turn and stab them in the back.

You weren't all discussing whether mobile numbers are safe or not etc when everyone was backing OpenWhatsapps and getting signatures to pump the petitions to get Whatsapp to build native, granted there may be a better alternative for some of you in the form of PINs, but there's no need to be so hostile about it.

This is where I'd usually finish off by offending someone but I won't, these mods get trigger happy with their infractions
    12-25-13 10:41 AM
    This is where I'd usually finish off by offending someone but I won't, these mods get trigger happy with their infractions
    You're lucky it's Christmas morning
    adjdudley21, imz and Elite1 like this.
    12-25-13 10:51 AM
    Is there a way to see who in your contacts has BBM installed? If not, that would be a good feature to have, then you can send a pin request. There are probably contacts I have who have BBM but we have not connected because neither knows the other has it.

Posted via CB10
    12-25-13 10:55 AM

Actually, I have not posted my phone number to any site… But giving your phone number to a business is different that giving your number to a stranger you just met and whatsapp uploading your whole contact list …. and searching your phone...
    12-25-13 11:07 AM
    They always require a method of contacting you sure, but a phone number is not required. More often than not, all that is required is a verifiable email address. Take Mobile Nations as an example... Mobile Nations does not have my phone number as a result of registering for their services, various contests, online purchases etc...

The only people that have my phone number, are those who I have specifically given it to because I fully intend to correspond via phone calls, or telephony is a requirement for support services.
    Elite1 likes this.
    12-25-13 11:08 AM
    I prefer PIN than Phone number. More privacy and secure.

Posted via CB10
    extisis likes this.
    12-25-13 11:10 AM
    Pre - BBMX

* I can't believe Whatsapp, first they said they will support BB10 when it launches, now they've back tracked!
    * Yes!! OpenWhatsapp is here, forget Whatsapp they know where to shove it now!
    * OMG OMG Whatsapp are bringing their native app to BB10!! (openwhatsapp disappears in to darkness)

Post - BBMX

- Crackberry Team & loyal "followers":
    * Whatsapp down again?
    * Who's uninstalling Whatsapp?
    * Whatsapp isn't safe, your messages aren't secure

I've said this before and I'll say it again, I hope Blackberry remains the number 4 mobile OS, I'd hate to see all these arrogant folk on their high horses changing their tune, again, one minute they are supporting a developer, the next minute they turn and stab them in the back.

You weren't all discussing whether mobile numbers are safe or not etc when everyone was backing OpenWhatsapps and getting signatures to pump the petitions to get Whatsapp to build native, granted there may be a better alternative for some of you in the form of PINs, but there's no need to be so hostile about it.

First off, not "everyone" was backing OpenWhatsApp.
    Second, WhatsApp was the "best" alternative for me *before* BBMx became available.
    Third, if something I wanted was not available and there was a substitute, once the initial thing I wanted becomes available there is no reason at all for me to keep the substitute. There is no arrogance or high horse involved, my first choice became available so I took it.
    Fourth, wishing the lack of growth on something just so that you can entertain your own personal grudge *is* arrogance. Personally, I wish for the best option to advance because THAT is what gets us all what we need. I don't wish for any option to fail. That weakens every platform.
    Last edited by qbnkelt; 12-25-13 at 11:52 AM. Reason: highliting the word "everyone" since the poster states not to have used it
    12-25-13 11:12 AM
    I bet that everybody on this thread has or had Whatsapp installed on their phone. This also includes the super concerned about their security and privacy.
    So Whatsapp already has your complete contacts list.

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk 2
    12-25-13 11:22 AM
    BS?? Line, Kakao , viber all use simple phone number instead of ID or PIN. they are more convenient and successful than BBM
    BS, LINE uses User ID to find and add people to your contacts. I have LINE right now on my BlackBerry. Same goes to KakaoTalk, because that thing rips off LINE

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.0.1791
    12-25-13 11:22 AM
    Second, WhatsApp was the "best" alternative for me *before* BBMx became available.
    Third, if something I wanted was not available and there was a substitute, once the initial thing I wanted becomes available there is no reason at all for me to keep the substitute. There is no arrogance or high horse involved, my first choice became available so I took it.
    Fourth, wishing the lack of growth on something just so that you can entertain your own personal grudge *is* arrogance. Personally, I wish for the best option to advance because THAT is what gets us all what we need. I don't wish for any option to fail. That weakens every platform.
    You're wrong.
    It's malice

Z10 STL100-1/10.2.0.1791
    12-25-13 11:26 AM
    First. I didn't say "everyone". My post isn't for you, not sure why you felt the need to engage on the defence, goes without saying I would of thought.
    Second. Whatsapp IS still the "best" alternative for me, what's your point? We have different "bests", I'm simply pointing out (some) peoples change in tune.
    Third. Glad you'v moved on from Whatsapp, that's fine, but unlike you others are being pretty hostile towards the app, the app they once supported, again, my post is irrelevant to you.
    Fourth. I don't whole heartedly wish failure on the company, the fact you take it at face value demonstrates you need to stop taking posts not aimed at your position seriously, I'm merely trying to highlight the fact that a lot (not everyone for your sake) jumps on the bandwagon of a particular app or feature, when something else comes, they shun it with pure hatred:

i.e
    Whatsapp VS BBMX
    Physical keyboard VS Touchscreen (iphones androids VS old qwertys)
    Removable batter VS non removable (iphones vs android & bb's) now Z30 is non removable

These are just examples of where users have changed their tune, and I'm saying without seriousness that maybe it would be better to remain the underdog, better than seeing all these arrogant comments.

Merry Christmas
    12-25-13 11:31 AM
    [WARN]Ok everyone just calm down and enjoy Christmas. No need to get into an argument today.[/WARN]
    howarmat, imz and Elite1 like this.
    12-25-13 11:34 AM
    But I did not leave my BBM PIN with the school. That's my point. The school has our address and phone numbers so your point about bus drivers or any school staff sex texting or good forbid enter or place is ridiculous.
    I hope the bus driver is pulled over before sending each message. The stats on distracted driving are worse than drunk driving. And if this is organized by the school they could be liable too. Just sayin...
    extisis likes this.
    12-25-13 11:46 AM
    I don't like the idea of my phone number being loaded to their servers without my permission. I'm talking about those with whatsapp that have my number. All my contact info goes to them. Same with any other company for that matter. But it really bugs me when an app that I install grabs my contact list. And I'm sure they do sell your info to people.

Posted via CB10
    12-25-13 12:07 PM
    Seems people ain't shying away from dropping their # on every nook and corner of the street!
    12-25-13 12:59 PM
    Personally I don't like PINs.

On my old BB's I've got more than 5 requests per day from persons with nicknames like 'john753rulz'. Who is it? This is my contact or someone else?

Okay, he told me - I'm John Smith. But... How I can be sure that is true? There is PIN only available.

So, there is no security, BS!

For 3 years I've got ZERO spam/unwanted messages in WhatsApp or Viber.

I'm prefer Viber - it have VoIP features, including ViberOut cheap calls.
    12-25-13 01:37 PM
    It's going to be impossible to beat whatsapp if BBM continues with PIN only option...Give people option those who like PIN let then use PIN and those who prefer to use Phone Number let then use phone Number.
    These are staggering numbers... I want BBM to be successful but I am convinced that BBM Pin will turn out to be BBM's biggest enemy.
    It's a simple fix that BlackBerry could do before it's too late.

Posted via CB10
    Using phone numbers to populate my contacts is the worst. I don't want to use a service that uses this kind of feature. There are reasons for that and the biggest one is security. It makes sense that Whatsapp has more subscribes just in the way they populate your contacts.
    Could you be more specific on " the power", what is the the power. I was assuming service but that can't be it. I like that BlackBerry listens to it's customers but I pray they don't start using phone numbers to populate my contacts. I love that BlackBerry does not follow the crowd.
    12-25-13 01:47 PM
    There is a suggest contact option in bbm, whatever contacts are using bbm show up there.

So you could selectively add them from there.

Posted via CB10
    12-25-13 02:06 PM
    Using phone numbers to populate my contacts is the worst. I don't want to use a service that uses this kind of feature. There are reasons for that and the biggest one is security. It makes sense that Whatsapp has more subscribes just in the way they populate your contacts.
    Could you be more specific on " the power", what is the the power. I was assuming service but that can't be it. I like that BlackBerry listens to it's customers but I pray they don't start using phone numbers to populate my contacts. I love that BlackBerry does not follow the crowd.
    I do wish Whatsapp would implement an "accept or decline" feature so I can choose with whom I want to chat on a more personal level. In terms of security....mmm how many people post pictures of their kids on facebook and mentions what high school they go to, show pictures of their shiny new car including licenses plates etc etc ? Of course nobody on Crackberry.com does it because security is number one for them.

I think whatsapp having your phone number and contact list is the last thing we have to worry about.
    12-25-13 02:14 PM
309 ... 678910 ...