BTW Whatsapp have a lot of "ghost" users. Difficult to determine how many cause so many drop the app after one year.

Posted via CB10
    In defence of Whatsapp, the numbers I read were monthly users, not simply subs.
    12-24-13 06:26 PM
    Not a good idea to use numbers. The key to success is differentiation. If bbm do the same as Whatsapp, why would people switch to bbm?

BBM should concentrate on video and voice and unique features and they can easily squash Whatsapp.
    You are correct that differentiation is the key as long as it's valuable.

However, phone-numberless contacts is not a sufficient differentiator on its own. Again, there are already apps with more users than BBM that have numberless contacts.

As for "easily squash", I would disagree. Where network effects are present, it's actually anything but easy to dethrone a leader with the large self-reinforcing userbase. Unless, as you pointed out, the differentiators are indeed valuable (or unless the leader screws something up badly).
    12-24-13 06:33 PM
    Do a Google on it..there CEO is quoting it....Numbers make sense...as soon as you add a contact it becomes a whatsapp user and you are very likely to engage with them then trying to find BBM PIN for someone
    LOL! Your post something unsubstantiated and when I ask for your source, you tell me to go Google it? Yeah, sure.
    curvezzz, Umaima_B_Dia and OWCA83 like this.
    12-24-13 07:00 PM
    LOL! Your post something unsubstantiated and when I ask for your source, you tell me to go Google it? Yeah, sure.
    A simple Google or Bing search would surface the relevant posts as top links (I just tried it, so I know), yet you are here trying to call what the OP posts unsubstantiated?

Yea, sure.
    12-24-13 07:07 PM
    An an android user I can tell you whatsapp is garbage compared to bbm just garbage. I get mad just thinking of using that useless whatsapp.

Posted via CB10
    12-24-13 07:12 PM
    An an android user I can tell you whatsapp is garbage compared to bbm just garbage. I get mad just thinking of using that useless whatsapp.

Posted via CB10
    The next BBM update coming up is gonna take the cake
    evanmichael and miker476 like this.
    12-24-13 07:14 PM
    And teachers and clergy and babysitters and sports coaches and any other number of so called "trusted" people don't do anything wrong right?. Absolutely nothing against bus drivers as they serve a valuable service, but they also require nothing more than a clean criminal and driver record. Schooling and years of dedication can weed out the weirdos.... most of the time. As much as I would like to not think of the crap people that are out there, one cannot deny that they exist. I simply have a lack of trust to an extent. This by no means is a slight against your kids driver but just a question as to the school simply handing out your cell number to a virtual stranger. I don't agree with it and if that had happened to me, I would have been in the principals office within minutes to question why they did that without my permission.
    Drivers and their assistants have parents' numbers in case of emergency. My son is a special kid with allergy so if he goes off on a tantrum or needs a epiphen shot, we are alerted while he's on the bus. Geez, you guys are so paranoid it's pathetic.
    12-24-13 07:14 PM
    Drivers and their assistants have parents' numbers in case of emergency. My son is a special kid with allergy so if he goes off on a tantrum or needs a epiphen shot, we are alerted while he's on the bus. Geez, you guys are so paranoid it's pathetic.
    I'm sorry, but my "paranoia" keeps me protected and safe.... for the most part.
    12-24-13 07:22 PM
    I understand. Sorry about my bluntness as I should also look at other people's views. Merry Christmas by the way. I'm in a bad mood as I have to work today.
    12-24-13 07:28 PM
    I have been watching the apple store and the best messenger app that has been constantly in the top 10 is Snapchat. No wonder they declined FB offer, their numbers are growing very quickly. Whatsapp and KIK have also been very constant and steady in their ranking, BBM has fallen totally out of the apple app listings in North America completely. They need to bring something fresh new and market it properly to Apple and Android.
    12-24-13 07:28 PM
    And by the way, I use BBM. Good messaging app and like the D & R signs. Only drawback (actually positive) is it's too fast in delivery. My friend sends me a message on key football plays while I'm watching NFL.com. My broadcast is 10 or 15 seconds behind live TV so I get all my play by play via BBM. I have to turn it off as the BBM delivery is instant. When I hear that BBM ping I know something good or bad happened in the game.
    cjcampbell and miker476 like this.
    12-24-13 07:33 PM
    How is it difficult to add people ?? One of the things that BBM does is remind you to share your pin on Facebook and thats that. The excuse that people are lazy is weak sauce. There is no difficulty.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.1925
    Perhaps you should read a bit about how quickly people make decision. In general people will chose the easiest way first. This is with everything in life. There are several studies out there which support this and in my case it was the perfect example. BBM on my Nexus never reminded me to share my pin. I have no idea who has BBM installed or not. I sent them an invite and as I said only 3 people installed it.
    12-24-13 07:36 PM
    I understand. Sorry about my bluntness as I should also look at other people's views. Merry Christmas by the way. I'm in a bad mood as I have to work today.
    No worries... I'm guilty too Merry Christmas to you and your family. Sorry to hear you have to work but at least the people you are working with will be in the same boat so you can all keep each other up and happy. Enjoy the time with your family.
    12-24-13 07:36 PM
    And by the way, I use BBM. Good messaging app and like the D & R signs. Only drawback (actually positive) is it's too fast in delivery. My friend sends me a message on key football plays while I'm watching NFL.com. My broadcast is 10 or 15 seconds behind live TV so I get all my play by play via BBM. I have to turn it off as the BBM delivery is instant. When I hear that BBM ping I know something good or bad happened in the game.
    haha... and like me, you just can't let that little "ping" remain unattended to. lol
    12-24-13 07:38 PM
    I don't know how it works on BB10, but on iOS 7 you can block people from calling or SMSing you.
    Actually.. that's a function of your carrier. Take VZW for example... you can block only a certain number of callers from calling or SMSing you. However, that does not stop them from calling or SMSing you from an alternate phone number. They've got your number, therefore they can bug you from any phone they have access too.

With iOS7 you may be able to block at the device level, unfortunately that does not stop them from accruing text message charges. At the device level, all that happens is that the phone does not bother to notify you that they messaged you... however according to your carrier, the message was delivered and charges may apply (your iOS7 device just simply makes it invisible). Nor does it stop the same person from trying to call or SMS you from another phone that you have not blocked.
    southlander likes this.
    12-24-13 08:07 PM
    Actually.. that's a function of your carrier. Take VZW for example... you can block only a certain number of callers from calling or SMSing you. However, that does not stop them from calling or SMSing you from an alternate phone number. They've got your number, therefore they can bug you from any phone they have access too.

With iOS7 you may be able to block at the device level, unfortunately that does not stop them from accruing text message charges. At the device level, all that happens is that the phone does not bother to notify you that they messaged you... however according to your carrier, the message was delivered and charges may apply (your iOS7 device just simply makes it invisible). Nor does it stop the same person from trying to call or SMS you from another phone that you have not blocked.
    Thanks, I wasn't aware of those details.
    12-24-13 08:40 PM
    100m in 4 months, that's how CRAPPY the privacy & the security of Whatsapp is. PIN is the way to go and BBM has it all!!

#BBM4ALL!
    curvezzz and Umaima_B_Dia like this.
    12-24-13 09:02 PM
    BBM has no equal when trying to pick up women it eliminates the old fake number trick. And once you contact her on BBM it give you another chance to be prince charming lol

Z10 Running 10.2.1.1259 Take that Mr App Gap!
    12-24-13 09:11 PM
    BBM should atleast give us the option or suggest the contacts who already have BBM to send invites. I managed to convince my friend (iPhone user) to use BBM but this was the question he asked me. How will he know who is using BBM in his contacts? He is frustrated already as I am his only contact on BBM.
    12-24-13 10:14 PM
    So true. WhatsApp on both iOS and Android is so fluid, efficient, and most importantly stable. Plus, the UI consistency.

I tried BBM, but the graphics, the UI, and overall fluidity was not there.

No landscape typing? What did they do for so many months developing the app if even basic functionality is not there?

With BBM, I got errors, undelivered messages, disappearing notifications, unchangeable picture, etc. And the battery drain was awful.

I don't know how much the app has improved since then, but, though delayed, it was definitely a rushed launch.

Edit: Oh, and the fake reviews made me cringe, though, knowing BBRY, I shouldn't have been surprised.
    I have a Z10 and Whatsapp is the way to go and I have better things to do than tell my friends about BBM ....
    WanShark69 likes this.
    12-24-13 10:44 PM
    $1 a year = $450 million which is $50m more than what BlackBerry loses per quarter. With 40 staff I would say it's pretty good.
    Blackberry hasn't figured this out yet, don't know what the world is like out there ....
    12-24-13 10:54 PM
    The reason why Whatsapp gets numbers like it does is not because it uses phone numbers but because it is available on a large number of phones. BBM is only available on BlackBerry phones, Iphone and Android 4.0 or higher. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the new users are using low end devices with Android less than 4.0 and Nokia devices running OS other than Windows.

If BBM wants to be competitive it should be available on the low end devices also.
    12-24-13 10:57 PM
    I prefer pin. If I give my number out the potential is there it will be misused, on bbm I can block their pin. As soon as the new features go cross platform with the added security bbm will come out on top.

? AT&T Z10 STL100-3/10.2.0.1791 ?
    SirJes, RedFoxOne and extisis like this.
    12-24-13 11:04 PM
    I don't have a problem with what'sapp nor bbm. What'sapp is used for immediate family/friends while bbm is used for forum friends.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    12-24-13 11:10 PM
    all the sheep can flock wherever they please. your numbers mean nothing to me. i'll be right here with my BlackBerry and BBM, thank you.
    curvezzz and Umaima_B_Dia like this.
    12-24-13 11:15 PM
309 ... 45678 ...