Does this mean people chatting OR does it just mean that 200 + Million on whatsapp? It's simple whatsapp's 200+ Million can't be all active. Meaning at any given point the friend on whatsapp changes his/her number and now adds me to Whatsapp with their new number NOW I have 2 contacts with the same person, meaning that not all of them are active. OR now that old number is being used by another person and I'm now connected with them not necessarily a friend but it counts as the 200+ Million. Another thing WHO is going to deactivate their whatsapp account ?most people will just delete the app so whatsapp will never really shrink.

BBM will be more real, more in order but never as big and the reason I say this is because whatsapp searches automatically for contacts and BBM u have to do the work. If only BlackBerry had a way to search Facebook for people who have posted via BlackBerry and automatically request a friend request or something like that.

Sent from the Amazing Z10
    10-24-13 01:34 PM
    Could it be?

My Z30 Is Awesome!
    10-24-13 01:41 PM
    And at the end of the day it's still sh!t lol
    10-24-13 01:43 PM
    There are many things with messaging systems - One being the number of installed apps, another being the number of ACTIVE users, yet another is the extend of the users Activity - how much those Active users communicate.

the number 200+ million users does not really say anything
    10-24-13 02:10 PM
    10-24-13 02:16 PM
    I see what they write, but there are still lots of unknows here... What do they mean by "Active users" - is it active Whatsapp accounts? Paid users? Is it users who have more than 10 chats pr. day?

again - to measure any of the networks - what is needed is not users - but instead look at the number of messages for periods of time ,.. pr hour, pr day, pr week etc... but I doubt any of them will release such numbers
    10-26-13 04:50 PM
    I see what they write, but there are still lots of unknows here... What do they mean by "Active users" - is it active Whatsapp accounts? Paid users? Is it users who have more than 10 chats pr. day?

again - to measure any of the networks - what is needed is not users - but instead look at the number of messages for periods of time ,.. pr hour, pr day, pr week etc... but I doubt any of them will release such numbers
    Active users sounds like all Whatsapp accounts that are active... Meaning people are logging in and using accounts within a certain amount of time.
    10-26-13 07:30 PM
    There are 7.2 billion men, women, and children in the world. If 350 million are active whatsapp users that's about 5% of the world. Seems plausible, BUT...subtract out babies, infants, entire countries without cell phones, the poor, the elderly, and the list of possible users gets smaller and smaller. I'm not a math wiz nor do I claim to know more about people around the world than the next guy, but I don't think it takes a genius to dispute their numbers. 350 million is ridiculous.

Posted with my Z10 or my Q10 on Verizon from Philly
    10-26-13 08:00 PM
    Whatsapp has more than 350 Million "Active" users. In the Nokia world event, Whatsapp stated that they are adding 250k new users every day on Nokia phones alone!!

WhatsApp Now Has 350 Million Monthly Users
    WhatsApp grows to 350 million monthly users - GSMArena Blog
    WhatsApp now has 350 million monthly active users | The Verge
    10-26-13 08:02 PM
    Whatsapp has more than 350 Million "Active" users. In the Nokia world event, Whatsapp stated that they are adding 250k new users every day on Nokia phones alone!!
    ]
    I don't know why... but I call BOLLOCKS on that.
    JR A likes this.
    10-26-13 08:09 PM
    350 million is pretty outrageous considering that's more than the entire population of Canada and the US combined. Furthermore, 350 million is more than the entire smartphone owning population between the US and Canada combined.

200 million is still a large number for ACTIVE USERS per month. 200-350 million DOWNLOADS seems more like it to me.
    10-26-13 08:11 PM
    I don't know why... but I call BOLLOCKS on that.
    I call BOLLOCKS on your post.

350 million is pretty outrageous considering that's more than the entire population of Canada and the US combined. Furthermore, 350 million is more than the entire smartphone owning population between the US and Canada combined.

200 million is still a large number for ACTIVE USERS per month. 200-350 million DOWNLOADS seems more like it to me.
    350 Million active users is very much possible as World Smartphone market is not just USA+Canada market.
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    10-26-13 08:29 PM
    Personally I have around 4 or 5 WhatsApp account but only 1 is active at a time, some have expired n sometime when I wipe my device I change my WhatsApp number to the number I'm having at that moment. So if a person has 2 or more account, the actual users can double or triple easily!

Posted via CB10
    10-26-13 08:39 PM
    BBM won't be able to achieve this easily cuz one person only needs one PIN unless u make a different BlackBerry ID which is useless and BBM is free unlike WhatsApp.

Posted via CB10
    10-26-13 08:41 PM
    Perhaps this is an easier number to compare:

Facebook: 1.15 billion
    Whatsapp: 350 million

I guess it's possible, but I still think the numbers must be skewed by something.

Posted with my Z10 or my Q10 on Verizon from Philly
    10-26-13 09:03 PM
    I call BOLLOCKS on your post.

350 Million active users is very much possible as World Smartphone market is not just USA+Canada market.
    Define "Active users".

Of the nearly 1.5 billion Facebook users, there are roughly 600 million active users on FB every month.

Twitter has a reported 200 million active users every month world wide, according to their S1 SEC filing for their IPO.

You mean to tell me more people use WhatsApp on a monthly basis than Twitter?
    10-26-13 09:23 PM
    At one point I had 5 Whatsapp accounts open.

1) main cell phone
    2) work phone
    3) playbook
    4) touch pad
    5) iPhone on wifi

At some point I tested then all to make sure they were working see yeah they were 'active', but not really.

Now I have zero accounts.

Fired from my Z10
    10-26-13 09:38 PM
    Yes. There are about 500M tweets per day. WhatsApp has reported processing as many 27B messages in a day. That's a factor of 50+. They also say an average of 300M photos are sent per day via WhatsApp.
    Etios and JR A like this.
    10-26-13 11:17 PM
    Define "Active users".

Of the nearly 1.5 billion Facebook users, there are roughly 600 million active users on FB every month.

Twitter has a reported 200 million active users every month world wide, according to their S1 SEC filing for their IPO.

Yup, there are more "Active" whatsapp users than twitter users

WhatsApp has more monthly active users (350M) than Twitter - GeekWire
    Video - WhatsApp CEO: We're Bigger Than Twitter - WSJ.com

In many countries it has become a part of people's life and that is not even centered to any region, these are countries as diverse as Spain, Germany, UK, Mexico and India.

As of August, Whatsapp handled 31 Billion messages per day and 325 Million photos per day with the Active userbase of 300 Million. By October, Whatsapp Active userbase have grown to 350 Million Active users.

Infact Whatsapp people don't usually boast and are media-shy, this information came by only due to All things-D interview and Nokia World event in October.
    JR A likes this.
    10-27-13 01:07 AM
    Infact Whatsapp people don't usually boast and are media-shy, .
    LOL!!!
    What a hilarious over generalization.
    10-27-13 12:19 PM
    Uninstalled whatsapp....

Posted via CB10
    smart548 likes this.
    10-27-13 12:54 PM
    LOL!!!
    What a hilarious over generalization.
    Laugh all you want, All things-D interviewer clearly tells this at the start, the only reason you are angry is because Whatsapp is crushing BBM in the IM market.
    Poirots Progeny likes this.
    10-28-13 12:45 AM
    Pretty much my entire Whatsapp list is now on bbm. Bbm is growing much faster than I anticipated. Had a Halloween party last night and all my friends now have it

Posted from my Z10
    JR A likes this.
    10-28-13 12:51 AM