I've been a person to stay up on the latest and greatest when it comes to smart phones
    But what is all the hype with Whatsapp or whatever it's called
    What is so great about it that people are freaking out about it not being available on BlackBerry os10 phones in the near future???

Can someone please explain it to me.
    Thanks

Posted via CB10
    08-01-16 08:44 PM
    It's the most popular instant messaging app in the world and it will not longer be available in BB10 at the end of the year. That's basically it.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    08-01-16 08:47 PM
    I've never used it, what is so great about it.
    Does whoever you are texting need to have it also

Posted via CB10
    08-01-16 08:54 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yes they also need it. Nothing major special just happened to catch on and be cross platform before the others. I prefer BBM but the person you are messaging needs it as well.
    The difference with both and regular texting is the ability to send pics, videos (better quality) , files. Also group chats and so on.

08-01-16 08:57 PM

Posted via CB10
    Yes they do.

WhatsApp hit critical mass a few years ago, and has simply become the defacto standard of cross platform instant messaging.
    08-01-16 08:58 PM
    Okay,
    thanks for the answers

I've never used it or had anyone request me to use it.

So I've never had any reason to.

Posted via CB10
    08-01-16 09:05 PM
    While it's disappointing to hear about Whatsapp discontinuing support for BlackBerry 10 after December 31, 2016, I won't be losing any sleep over it.
    08-01-16 10:39 PM
    It also has built in encryption. Neither the WhatsApp company nor anyone else can access your messages. Even without that though, I just find it to be a really nice messaging app, with a lot of little conveniences which add up (message read notification, nice customization, free, etc.)

08-02-16 02:14 AM
    Owned by facebook since early 2014...

Posted via CB10
    08-02-16 05:19 AM
    I have been using Whatsapp over 6 months onto my device. Actually this one is best option to communicate with others.
    08-02-16 05:34 AM
    I have been using Whatsapp over 6 months onto my device. Actually this one is best option to communicate with others.
    BBM is best .

Bencurt likes this.
    08-02-16 07:22 AM
    BBM is best .

Best in what way? The world has moved away from BlackBerry and there less people using BBM.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-16 07:33 AM
    Best in what way? The world has moved away from BlackBerry and there less people using BBM.

Posted via CB10
    First of all its opinion. Second of all the popularity of something in no way shape or form defines it's quality.

But if you really want to know. BBM is more feature filled. Better groups, message retract and cross platform video to name a few.

08-02-16 07:52 AM
    First of all its opinion. Second of all the popularity of something in no way shape or form defines it's quality.

But if you really want to know. BBM is more feature filled. Better groups, message retract and cross platform video to name a few.

08-02-16 07:54 AM
    BBM may be better but here in Europe, everyone and his mother uses whatsapp...

Posted via CB10
    08-02-16 08:16 AM

Posted via CB10
    See I think it's really about the markets, and where the people you want to communicate with are. Here in my little corner of the US... don't really know too many that use an IM period. As the whole country is pretty much free to text too.

But I will say that I have noticed that those that are using Apple... really like the delivered and read features that iMessage adds. Something we BBM users had years and years ago. But my wife has no idea that she is using an IM to send messages... to her it's just texting.

But in other markets where texting between carriers is not free, and where one city might have three or more carriers... and IM is a must for communication.
    08-02-16 08:29 AM

For a closed network communication tool popularity is a measure of its quality.
    08-02-16 08:33 AM

Posted via CB10
    Wasn't disputing that. So what?

08-02-16 08:39 AM
    For a closed network communication tool popularity is a measure of its quality.
    No it is absolutely not.

08-02-16 08:40 AM
    Anyways I don't care, the OP wanted details on whatsapp and he got them.

08-02-16 08:41 AM
    BBM is best .

Naah

08-02-16 12:44 PM
    No it is absolutely not.

Sure it is.
    If closed network A has 2 nodes you can only communicate with 1 node. p=n-1. If closed network B has 1000000000 nodes the utility of that Network is 9 orders of magnitude higher. We can pretty much say that utility equals quality. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_effect
    Elephant_Canyon likes this.
    08-02-16 01:01 PM
    Sure it is.
    If closed network A has 2 nodes you can only communicate with 1 node. p=n-1. If closed network B has 1000000000 nodes the utility of that Network is 9 orders of magnitude higher. We can pretty much say that utility equals quality. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Network_effect
    Did you even read your link? Sure it has more value for the user as more people use it however it still does not mean it's a better quality product.

08-02-16 01:25 PM
    Whatsapp is great because if you are like myself who have a ton of friends with Android or Ios devices, it is not always an easy task trying to convince them to install BBM just to talk to YOU (because we have Blackberries).....

I still have one buddy who refuses to install Whatsapp onto his iphone and we are stuck using SMS texting and it's just not a fast or as "secure" experience.

Basically NO ONE SMS Texts anymore. its almost unheard of for MOST people now. So I should say "most" not "all" I guess.

Whatsapp is also conveinient because all you have to do is download the app and any friends you have in your phone's contact list will be automatically added and its all set up automatically (provided they have also downloaded WA on their device)

It is as good as BBM, but I have tried many others like Kik, Line and Viber and they all had some issues (for me anyway) on either Blackberry or ios devices.......

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    08-02-16 03:34 PM
    Whatsapp is great because if you are like myself who have a ton of friends with Android or Ios devices, it is not always an easy task trying to convince them to install BBM just to talk to YOU (because we have Blackberries).....

I still have one buddy who refuses to install Whatsapp onto his iphone and we are stuck using SMS texting and it's just not a fast or as "secure" experience.

Basically NO ONE SMS Texts anymore. its almost unheard of for MOST people now. So I should say "most" not "all" I guess.

Whatsapp is also conveinient because all you have to do is download the app and any friends you have in your phone's contact list will be automatically added and its all set up automatically (provided they have also downloaded WA on their device)

It is as good as BBM, but I have tried many others like Kik, Line and Viber and they all had some issues (for me anyway) on either Blackberry or ios devices.......

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    http://www.theverge.com/2016/4/12/11...vs-sms-f8-2016

According to the above article, Facebook messenger and Whatsapp combined produce 60 million messages per day while Sms produces 20 million per day. While not king any more, sms is still used quite extensively.
    08-02-16 05:48 PM
59 123