View Poll Results: Dakota VS Torch 2 - which will you choose?

Voters
53. You may not vote on this poll
  • Dakota

38 71.70%
  • Torch 2

15 28.30%
Multiple Choice Poll.
    Hi my fellow CB members. The reason I am posting here instead of Dakota or Torch 2 sub forum is because I would like to make this topic as neutral as possible.

I am really looking into buying a new device this year. I am always very fascinated with Torch but I love Bold's workforce.

Frankly, what is your pick if you got to choose between Dakota and Torch 2? I ma not sure if I would like to have another Bold this year but I am definitely looking at both and hoping to see which is better.
    02-19-11 07:47 AM
    Leaning heavily towards the Dakota right now, but I'll need to give it a close look before pulling the trigger to make sure that touch-screen will be usable on that display size. It may come down to how much better the keyboard is on this device vs. Torch 2.
    02-19-11 09:05 AM
    Leaning heavily towards the Dakota right now, but I'll need to give it a close look before pulling the trigger to make sure that touch-screen will be usable on that display size. It may come down to how much better the keyboard is on this device vs. Torch 2.
    Right. In fact, I believe having a touch screen in Bold is something new. I do hope it is a great device though
    02-19-11 09:13 AM
    Dakota with OS 6.1.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-19-11 09:19 AM
    Likely a torch 2 for me, but I will wait till I see them. I like the larger screen on the torch now ( I use to have a bold ). The keyboard was better on the bold but I have gotten comfortable with the Torch. I just want more cpu power, and if it had a larger battery that would be good too
    02-19-11 09:30 AM
    Right. In fact, I believe having a touch screen in Bold is something new. I do hope it is a great device though
    Yup, a touch screen on this from factor is definitely new for BB's.

If I'm measuring correctly, the Dakota will have the same physical screen size as the original Bold 9000 at 2.8" (maybe a pimple bigger ... I see the Bold's display is listed as 2.6"). But it will have a higher resolution (640x480) than the Torch's 3.2" (480x360), which should make for a pretty impressive image. If they can get the same kind of touch precision as they delivered in the latest OS build for the Torch, I think it'll be a winner.
    02-19-11 09:33 AM
    My thoughts on the matter is that the Dakota shouldn't be a touch screen. The Dakota should take the Bold form factor with the Dakota's power and ram. And run wild. The Torch carries the Bold's use and touch screen awsomeness. So let the Torch do what it does and the Bold do what it does. I think the 2.8" screen is going to be too small for most people for a touch screen. We'll be flooded with threads about how the "new bold" sucks and all about the small touch screen and sucky browser.
    That being said I would love to see the Torch 2 have that kind of ram or more. I promise you this though I will buy the BB that brakes the 1gb ram before I will a 1gz cpu unless both are inn the same device lol. So pretty much my answer would be to get a non touch screen Bold with 768 mb of ram over 1.2ghz/512mb ram on a touch screen if I really like the Bold form factor. But if you like the touch screen form factor I'm afraid the Torch is going to be the best bet. I don't think Rim has a good plan with going smaller with the touch screens. Pantechs have along with some lgs and they suck. If Rim where to manage to make a little bigger device I think that would shut a lot of folks up.
    I'm sorry this so long winded but the 2 devices we are comparing here is just so opposite from each other that it really comes down to either form factor or power over brone. I think Rim is side stepping on both of them. So much so that its crazy. Good luck in deciding.

Plazmic Flame likes this.
    02-19-11 09:41 AM
    The Dakota since the Torch 2 doesn't seem to be changed all that much.
    02-19-11 10:44 AM
    Dakota because I prefer a physical keyboard over a touch screen. I know the torch is a slide out but I do not like it.

With the Dakota, or in my case Montana for Sprint, it SHOULD be everything I would want or need. Looking forward to the games that will be possible on there. Who knows after Kevin's letter to Rovio I started e-mailing and tweeting to them. They agreed to look into the roadmap as OpenGL would definitely help them in making Angry Birds a BlackBerry game as well.

Gaming aside there will be 3 different methods of navigating it, touch, trackpad, and the keyboard. So no matter what your doing there will be a way for you to do what needs to be done.
    02-19-11 10:52 AM
    Torch 2 because I love the screen size. But....I will also get a Dakota for my husband....and one for me too, quite frankly.

Have to say, the original Bold was not for me because I have tiny hands/fingers - I weigh 115 with a wet towel on my head and I barely made it to five feet - but my husband loved his.
    02-19-11 11:36 AM
    The Dakota since the Torch 2 doesn't seem to be changed all that much.
    Rumored: 1.2 ghz processor, 8 gb built-in memory, 512 mb RAM, 640x480 display resolution. Looks like the display size itself hasn't changed at 3.2", which I think is unfortunate ... I'd like to have seen it just a little bigger.

But I'll broach the subject again since I haven't seen it here for awhile ... I would kill for a landscape-oriented slider with a slightly larger display and the rest of the rumored specs of the Torch 2. That would be my choice over anything else, rumored or real, hands-down. The only one offered right now on AT&T is a WP7 phone, which I really have no interest in. Come on RIM ... just do it.
    02-19-11 01:55 PM
    Definitely the Bold Touch, then Monza/Monaco, then Torch 2.

For those saying the Bolds touch screen is too small just remember it won't be sporting a virtual qwerty on it. It is to make selections faster and make the overall experience faster. You can bypass and use the trackpad anyway.

The 3gs screen is only 3.5" so its not too far off if ya think about it and the Bold Touch is rockin some nice, large keys to press.

But I suppose there are always some that don't approve, so I understand its not for everyone, but the screen size and touch functionality seem perfect to me.

02-19-11 10:09 PM
    Definitely the Bold Touch, then Monza/Monaco, then Torch 2.

For those saying the Bolds touch screen is too small just remember it won't be sporting a virtual qwerty on it. It is to make selections faster and make the overall experience faster. You can bypass and use the trackpad anyway.

The 3gs screen is only 3.5" so its not too far off if ya think about it and the Bold Touch is rockin some nice, large keys to press.

But I suppose there are always some that don't approve, so I understand its not for everyone, but the screen size and touch functionality seem perfect to me.

I second this. Now all the people complaining about the small form factor of the 97xx are still complaining about the Bold Touch.
    02-19-11 10:14 PM
    I second this. Now all the people complaining about the small form factor of the 97xx are still complaining about the Bold Touch.
    I hope no body has me down as complaining about the screen size. Cause I'm not complaining, but I would like a bigger blackberry but its not really a big deal. But I do think the dakotas screen will be to small for a touch UI. The Torch is close to being too small.

02-19-11 10:54 PM
    I hope no body has me down as complaining about the screen size. Cause I'm not complaining, but I would like a bigger blackberry but its not really a big deal. But I do think the dakotas screen will be to small for a touch UI. The Torch is close to being too small.

Nope, not you. Just people who complain about both and are never satisfied.
    02-19-11 11:03 PM
    Oh yea there's some that aren't eva satisfied.

02-19-11 11:15 PM
    I don't like the torch..
    Reason: I hate slide up form factor... IMO..

and I love the Bold 9000 form factor. who doesn't? bold 9000 best blackberry IMO.
    02-19-11 11:20 PM
    I don't like the torch..
    Reason: I hate slide up form factor... IMO..

and I love the Bold 9000 form factor. who doesn't? bold 9000 best blackberry IMO.
    I love my 9700 too, and I love my Torch, but what does this have to do with this thread?

02-19-11 11:40 PM
    Likely a torch 2 for me, but I will wait till I see them. I like the larger screen on the torch now ( I use to have a bold ). The keyboard was better on the bold but I have gotten comfortable with the Torch. I just want more cpu power, and if it had a larger battery that would be good too
    +1 also a better build quality, preferably perfect build quality

02-20-11 12:18 AM
    I love my Torch, but miss the feel of the Bold 9000 and excited to use a Dakota!
    02-20-11 12:24 AM
    In fact, you guys are right. Just for some reasons I really attracted to torch type and looks. Also, I do wish that Bold has a bigger screen

02-20-11 01:08 AM
    The Dakota/ Montana for me. I really prefer the fixed keyboard for a work phone (and it looks like I'll have to keep working a while longer). With a touch screen on a conventional BB form, I think the real benefit will be quicker menu navigation (see and touch the icon-DONE, as opposed to see the icon, scroll to it, hit the trackpad-done). I love the bigger form factor too, bigger keyboard.
    Last edited by berryaddictnoza; 02-20-11 at 09:16 AM.
    02-20-11 07:04 AM
    Dakota for me, but this should have come out last year.

After 2 years with a Bold 9k all BB gave us as an upgrade since its release was the Torch, I tried it, hated it and returned it. Anyone that says the smaller bolds were an upgrade are kidding themselves. Great to see the King of BB's returning to the throne.
    02-20-11 08:28 AM
    Torch 2 because I absolutley despise the form factor of the Dakota (Bold 9000). Also, I just don't see the point of making a touchscreen that is that small.

02-20-11 09:34 AM
    Dakota for me. Although the T2 looks pretty nice as well.
    02-20-11 11:06 AM
42 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD