08-08-16 09:25 AM
51 123
tools
    Not quite.

He said he would comply with a warrant to provide specific information if it is available.

He specifically stated he will NOT provide a carte blanche back door to law enforcement.
    That's not accurate.

BlackBerry has always stated that they would hand over data without a warrant in order to 'help' law enforcement.

"Research In Motion (RIM) could hand over information about rioters including their names, the number of messages sent and received, the names of people they sent messages to, the time they were sent, and the location without being issued with a warrant by the police."

Attachment 405517

 Passport/SQW100-3  Make BlackBerry Great Again!
    08-04-16 09:41 AM
    That's not accurate.

BlackBerry has always stated that they would hand over data without a warrant in order to 'help' law enforcement.

"Research In Motion (RIM) could hand over information about rioters including their names, the number of messages sent and received, the names of people they sent messages to, the time they were sent, and the location without being issued with a warrant by the police."

Attachment 405517

The operative word in your quote is "could". Doesn't mean they did. And it isn't even a statement from BlackBerry itself...

Posted via CB10
    08-04-16 09:57 AM
    As I said it's not about doing anything illegal. Heck I work with and around cops with both my jobs. I'm not in any way anti law enforcement as long as it's constitutional. I don't want Google or apple or my bank or anyone else having my fingerprints or a retina scan or any of that. Creepy. People are way to willing to give up privacy for convenience. It's like they have all turned into "that girl". The one that gives away the goodies so people will like her lol

Posted with my shiny new Priv
    sorinv likes this.
    08-04-16 10:12 AM
    The operative word in your quote is "could". Doesn't mean they did. And it isn't even a statement from BlackBerry itself...

Posted via CB10
    You don't seem to be familiar with the story and the subsequent remarks from BlackBerry.

08-04-16 10:14 AM
    You don't seem to be familiar with the story and the subsequent remarks from BlackBerry.

The bigger issue I was addressing is that BlackBerry controls the information. They will not hand out the keys to government or law enforcement:

"On being asked at MWC if it would*be willing to design back doors for law enforcement, BlackBerry COO Marty Beard referred to two blog posts by CEO John Chen in December and January says*PC Mag.

In the Jan. 16 blog post, Chen said, There are nobackdoors*in any BlackBerry devices, and BlackBerry does not store and therefore cannot share BlackBerry device passwords with law enforcement or anyone else.

Chens January blog post was a more refined version of the December post, where Chen said, Our privacy commitment does not extend to criminals, and that the Canadian firm will help with law enforcement requests but will not give backdoor access or government access to our servers. "
    jope28 likes this.
    08-04-16 10:30 AM
    If someone cut your fingers you will unlock the code, image, sudoku...

Posted via CB10
    08-04-16 10:46 AM
    The bigger issue I was addressing is that BlackBerry controls the information. They will not hand out the keys to government or law enforcement:

"On being asked at MWC if it would*be willing to design back doors for law enforcement, BlackBerry COO Marty Beard referred to two blog posts by CEO John Chen in December and January says*PC Mag.

In the Jan. 16 blog post, Chen said, There are nobackdoors*in any BlackBerry devices, and BlackBerry does not store and therefore cannot share BlackBerry device passwords with law enforcement or anyone else.

Chens January blog post was a more refined version of the December post, where Chen said, Our privacy commitment does not extend to criminals, and that the Canadian firm will help with law enforcement requests but will not give backdoor access or government access to our servers. "
    I guess he isn't familiar with those blog posts..

Posted via CB10
    08-04-16 11:02 AM
    I guess he isn't familiar with those blog posts..

Posted via CB10
    The ones Conite posted are ones we all agree on on these forums, the 'could' statement on your post was the clueless one.

08-04-16 11:14 AM
    I have a feeling that the same people agonizing over the lack of fingerprint reader in the DTEK50 would be agonizing over the necessary price increase with its inclusion.
    jope28 likes this.
    08-04-16 11:22 AM
    The ones Conite posted are ones we all agree on on these forums, the 'could' statement on your post was the clueless one.

Okay, I'll play along, maybe I am clueless regarding this particular topic. Would you care to enlighten me? Where can I find this statement of BlackBerry that they will always hand over data without a warrant in order to 'help' law enforcement?
    08-04-16 02:24 PM
    Not that hard to pay attention over the past year and use your search engine.
    But back to the topic of the post, so we don't hijack the OP.

I could see someone that wants a fingerprint reader on their phone, just getting a device that has it and just using the BlackBerry Hub+ app now.

Last edited by jope28; 08-05-16 at 12:07 PM.
    08-04-16 03:02 PM
    Not that hard to pay attention over the past year and use your search engine.
    But back to the topic of the post, so we don't hijack the OP.

I could see someone that wants a fingerprint reader on their phone, just getting a device that has it and just using the BlackBerry Hub+ app now.

Good exit strategy. Or is it because BlackBerry never made that statement?

And yes, if people really want a fingerprint scanner on their phone... they should look further than BlackBerry right now.

Posted via CB10
    jope28 likes this.
    08-04-16 03:07 PM
    Fingerprints and iris scanning are gimmicky. In theory they can offer greater protection but it's false security as these things do not stand alone and disable the device pin/password. BB10's picture password is the same cause if you get it wrong too many times it prompts you for the device password. So the pin/password acts as a fail safe. What these things contribute to in terms of security is people can't guess your password by watching you or looking at smudge marks on your screen. They are more visual protection security features but it doesn't matter how strong they are because if you know the pin/password you can always unlock the device.
    08-05-16 12:02 PM
    I wish privs picture password prompted for your pin after the 5th try but it doesn't. BlackBerry needs to fix that

08-05-16 01:11 PM
    I wish privs picture password prompted for your pin after the 5th try but it doesn't. BlackBerry needs to fix that

Yes it does.

5 wrong tries, then you have to type "BlackBerry", then have 5 more tries with your PIN. Same as BB10.
    08-05-16 01:26 PM
    This is not a feature I desire on a phone nor is it a feature I would use even if my next phone had it. I agree with those that say it's creepy (along with iris scanner), why would I willingly give my finger print and iris scan away? Just get a really uneasy feeling about this.
    08-05-16 02:16 PM
    Yes it does.

5 wrong tries, then you have to type "BlackBerry", then have 5 more tries with your PIN. Same as BB10.
    My mistake. I never got past typing BlackBerry lol. Good to know. Problem is I don't ever recall being asked for a pin when setting up picture password on the priv

08-05-16 10:43 PM
    If I have a fingerprint reader on my device, not that I have any use for it, can I use it to store finger prints of those that touched my phone? Can it store all finger prints from both hands, all toe prints. Can it scan a combination of different finger prints at the same time. Can a finger print from the reader be used to look up a database?
    08-06-16 12:54 AM
    If I have a fingerprint reader on my device, not that I have any use for it, can I use it to store finger prints of those that touched my phone? Can it store all finger prints from both hands, all toe prints. Can it scan a combination of different finger prints at the same time. Can a finger print from the reader be used to look up a database?
    I doubt the fingerprint tech in phones are compatible with, for example, law enforcement databases of fingerprints or even compatible with each other (apple/android/other). The tech behind it is probably capable a of multiple users but the design would limit this as it is meant for only 1 user. I suppose you would need a custom app to do this but the API to access the fingerprint scanner would probably not even support multiple fingerprints and some sort of hack or work around would have to be used; in the end violate the T&Cs of the the app store market and be rejected. A method that probably would be allowed is using the camera or an external device to keep records of a fingerprints but that sort of defeats the purpose.

What would be cool is custom permissions set when a user unlocks a phone like for example a child. So you could hand your phone to your kid, they unlock with their finger, and use the phone with custom permissions like allowing only certain apps or disabling data.
    08-06-16 03:31 AM
    A lot of people here really don't know how the fingerprint sensors work.

It is true HTC goofed and stored unencrypted fingerprints but not in the leading smartphones. The plain fingerprint is not stored on any server or even the phone. Rather, points of interest are converted mathematically into a long string of numbers and there isn't a key to convert back. I can't speak for Android but on the iPhone the hash is further encrypted and stored in that very secure chip they have. No cloud access, no Apple access.

Apple's implementation is sensitive enough that I typically re-enter my fingerprints as the seasons change, due to skin dryness causing little pattern changes on my fingers. Or if I have soaked my hands a lot recently. One thing that is interesting is that Apple's lock screen seems more stringent (i.e. more rejections) than the various apps I use. I can't verify if true or merely perception.
    08-07-16 12:32 PM
    I would like to unlock my phone with picture password for security but I would like to use my phone for tap and go payments using fingerprint to authenticate it. Also for other password payment stuff once I'm in the system. But I wouldn't want my fingerprint to unlock the phone. I don't know if dtek has picture password.

Posted via CB10
    08-08-16 06:02 AM
    To eliminate the pin entry insecurity you mention, use the picture password. Insecurity eliminated. And you can video tape it all you want. You won't replicate the login. The video shows nothing useful.

Fingerprints can be lifted from objects, and then converted into a fake finger with your fingerprint. Once your fingerprint is compromised, you can't change your finger for a new one, but you can change a password.

One of my desired features on a phone is "no fingerprint scanner". When I tell people about the fingerprint issue I've just described, the typical response is "****, I didn't consider that"

Posted via CB10
    Yep, I didn't consider how far fetched that is.

Do you have some sort of video of this in action? Or who it has happened to? Outside of Sci-Fi movies, where criminals have all the time and patience in the world to do all that.
    08-08-16 08:01 AM
    I can understand that for your bussiness you need hide your information to FBI CSI CIA and friends but in my case no.

By other hand can be an alternative, an option to disable fingerprint with a pin code. Iphone Let's you two ways to unlock fingerprint and pin...

Posted via CB10
    Yep, same with Android. You see the thing is, you get these people who will try make-up the most farfetched reason not to have a feature because their fav phone maker doesn't do it. They tend to be very ignorant on how it is implemented.

I could use the wrong finger(s) in front of someone who wants me to unlock my phone until the point where it asks for a pin or just send the phone straight to pin

Its so much better when we are given choice.
    08-08-16 08:07 AM
    These arguments are really pointless. BlackBerry will eventually release a phone with one and it will be proclaimed awesome by all of those hating on fingerprint readers now. Just like Android. Before BlackBerry began using it it was declared as the worst. As soon as they release an Android phone it's declared awesome.
    It is the most hilarious thing. I remember when people said they didn't want Apps, then BB did the Android Runtime, and many of them were all up in it.

Its only a matter of time before BB put an FPS.

Either way, in Android you can download App Security Apps, so you can have a FPS Lock Screen and then from there protect your most important apps with a Pin, Pattern et....

Beauty of having so much choice.

Ps. LOL-ing at people who say they don't have FB, Twitter, Snapchat etc... As they don't want to be tracked, but they have a Bank Account, A phone on a carrier network that has a GPS unit plus mics, cameras etc...Email, probably home insurance, possibly a car, and probably live in or frequent areas with cameras. Yep, you SOOOOO can't be tracked because you aren't on social media, LOL!
    08-08-16 08:23 AM
    Each to their own. If you like it fine but I choose not to. It isn't necessary. It has its flaws. Just for your example about wrong fingers, ya gotta be conscious of at the very least in control of where your fingers are going. Could someone luck out and guess a picture password? Sure, but it is much less likely than picking the right finger for a finger print reader. I stated this before, it's not about my favorite phone not having it, I wouldn't use it if it did.

08-08-16 08:25 AM
51 123