So many of you are defending the non inclusion of fingerprint reader on new BlackBerry devices, I never hacked any fingerprint reader but I can see someone putting the pin on screen or I can see the screen marks or it can be filmed easily....

Why you see too secure a 4 number pin and too insecure a fingerprint login (I think that advanced options it's better confirm wth a password like root permissions)

Posted via CB10
    08-02-16 10:29 AM
    Fingerprint scanner is for convenience, and is more security than most people need.

However, it can be circumvented a number of ways, and police can force you to unlock your device with your finger where they can't with a password. A PIN is more secure, as is a picture password backed up by a PIN.

Future BlackBerry Android devices will apparently have one, but not on the mid range DTEK50.
    Last edited by conite; 08-03-16 at 07:39 AM.
    Sairos likes this.
    08-02-16 10:36 AM
    BlackBerry has generally been late-ish in getting 'not 100% essential' tech to their devices.

Nevertheless next batch of high (mid?) tiered devices sh/c/w/ould be getting it.

FWIW the BB10 type pic password can't be guessed even if someone is staring directly at the screen. Have tried with more than 20 people (friends & family mainly), no one ever got it. They mostly give up after 10-15 tries.

Q5 / Z30
    08-02-16 10:54 AM
    To eliminate the pin entry insecurity you mention, use the picture password. Insecurity eliminated. And you can video tape it all you want. You won't replicate the login. The video shows nothing useful.

Fingerprints can be lifted from objects, and then converted into a fake finger with your fingerprint. Once your fingerprint is compromised, you can't change your finger for a new one, but you can change a password.

One of my desired features on a phone is "no fingerprint scanner". When I tell people about the fingerprint issue I've just described, the typical response is "****, I didn't consider that"

Posted via CB10
    medic22003 and bbfanfan like this.
    08-02-16 11:01 AM
    Every country has different laws, but at least in the US, judges have authorized the police to 'force' a person to use their fingerprint to unlock a device. https://is.gd/tHRa2z

http://jolt.law.harvard.edu/digest/t...ed-smartphones

But police can't physically 'force' you to reveal a password in your head unless they torture you, and no judge would go for that lol.

Although, to be fair, most people just like the convenience of the fingerprint. I personally don't like the idea of biometrics for security.

Attachment 405376

Attachment 405377

 Passport/SQW100-3  Make BlackBerry Great Again!
    Attachment 405378
    Last edited by jope28; 08-02-16 at 12:58 PM.
    Sairos, medic22003 and bbfanfan like this.
    08-02-16 11:14 AM
    I can understand that for your bussiness you need hide your information to FBI CSI CIA and friends but in my case no.

By other hand can be an alternative, an option to disable fingerprint with a pin code. Iphone Let's you two ways to unlock fingerprint and pin...

Posted via CB10
    08-02-16 11:53 AM
    I can understand that for your bussiness you need hide your information to FBI CSI CIA and friends but in my case no.

By other hand can be an alternative, an option to disable fingerprint with a pin code. Iphone Let's you two ways to unlock fingerprint and pin...

Posted via CB10
    I bet you'll love this then https://is.gd/jDIYWq

Lol

Attachment 405381

08-02-16 12:45 PM
    It's just creepy is all.

Posted via CB10
    08-02-16 10:26 PM
    Fingerprint scanners aren't really more secure. They are primarily more convenient and as history shows us, humans are lazy beings. I mean, back in the day when the first mobile phones came out... me and my friends used to memorise quite a few mobile numbers. Today? I only know the mobile numbers of myself and my parents. My Contacts apps made me lazy.

Then there is also the issue of using biometric data. I myself would never want to use my biometric data, unless this is 100% necessary (for example: when law requires me too. Gotta comply then, albeit very grudgingly).

Think of it. They may say that the profile that represents your fingerprint may be secured well enough today and even locally secured, but who is to say they can't use those profiles to reverse engineer your fingerprint in the future?

Then, especially with the way things are progressing now (such as banks allowing biometric data for single sign on purposes) who knows what criminals can do with your biometric data in the future...

So are pincodes the alternative then? Or those gesture things on Android? No I don't think they offer true security either. That is why I absolutely love Picture Password!!!

Posted via CB10
    08-03-16 01:44 AM
    Fingerprint scanner ain't so secure.

It is known that some divorce proceedings started with a woman gently placing iphone to their sleeping husband thumb.

Ask them if they consider it scure.

Posted via CB10
    08-03-16 05:10 AM
    Fingerprint scanner is for convenience, and is more security than most people need.

However, it can be circumvented a number of ways, and police can force you to unlock your device with your finger where they can't with a password. A PIN is more secure, as is a picture password backed up by a PIN.

Future BlackBerry Android devices will apparently have one, but not on the mid range DTEK50.
    Well Said , Specially the police part.. The safest place to hide something is in your mind, hence a Password or a Pin is the right way to go in my opinion.

I talked about this before and here is some informative content about the topic.

What's your matter with the fingerprint reader??-untitled00.png

Few Links about this:
    Are Fingerprint Scanners Really More Secure?
    http://android.stackexchange.com/que...ck-on-nexus-5x
    08-03-16 11:26 AM
    You can't trust in a fingerprint to secure your phone, if you are sleeping, anybody can take your phone, put your finger and Boooommm, total access.

I think Best option is a PIN or Picture Password.

Posted via CB10
    08-03-16 11:42 AM
    As soon as I first saw them I wondered what was to stop a nefarious individual from simply cutting a persons finger off if that person was known to have valuable information on their phone, crazy I know because that would never happen, or would it?
    It's not so simple to break the picture password but just as easy for the user to unlock as a finger print scan.

Posted via CB10
    08-03-16 02:31 PM
    I will stay with my picture password for reasons already stated and probably some not stated. They can keep their biometric crap

Posted with my shiny new Priv
    08-03-16 03:05 PM
    These arguments are really pointless. BlackBerry will eventually release a phone with one and it will be proclaimed awesome by all of those hating on fingerprint readers now. Just like Android. Before BlackBerry began using it it was declared as the worst. As soon as they release an Android phone it's declared awesome.
    cribble2k and Tsepz_GP like this.
    08-03-16 03:46 PM
    These arguments are really pointless. BlackBerry will eventually release a phone with one and it will be proclaimed awesome by all of those hating on fingerprint readers now. Just like Android. Before BlackBerry began using it it was declared as the worst. As soon as they release an Android phone it's declared awesome.
    Yes, because we all went to Android, right? Lol

08-03-16 04:07 PM
    No it's not.
    08-03-16 04:07 PM
    These arguments are really pointless. BlackBerry will eventually release a phone with one and it will be proclaimed awesome by all of those hating on fingerprint readers now.
    You are definitely trolling...

Posted via CB10
    08-03-16 04:15 PM
    How does this whole fingerprint scanner thing work? If, let us say, the finger I used as a key were to be cut or burned, could I still log on? Would my fingers puckering up from being in water too long affect it?

Posted via CB10
    08-03-16 06:39 PM
    You are wrong. Not by all. I'll never use one if I have a choice. Oh no its 2016 and I don't use Facebook or snapchat either. Because I choose not to be tracked by them and waste my time with it. I'd prefer an up to date bb10 phone, I left android for it and it was my first BlackBerry experience. You really cant generalize like you do and be correct

08-03-16 06:51 PM
    surface it's got face scanner ,new samsung it's got retina scanner,most phones finger print scanner (for banking also) ,that doesn't make them more secure but more convenient.
    if you are in some kind of really illegal activities using any device connected to the internet would be compromising your job .
    08-04-16 06:59 AM
    It's not about doing anything illegal. It's about not giving away everything about ones self to those blood suckers because you are too lazy to put in a password. It's called privacy.

itsyaboy likes this.
    08-04-16 07:05 AM
    how many times you've got pulled over and your phone was taking away? i'm sure there is some abuse cases but that's because of different issues
    08-04-16 07:25 AM
    Chairman Chen has said he is willing to give away the backdoor keys to law enforcement on request, so your PIN or password is no defence against the five-oh anyway.
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    08-04-16 08:00 AM
    Chairman Chen has said he is willing to give away the backdoor keys to law enforcement on request, so your PIN or password is no defence against the five-oh anyway.
    Not quite.

He said he would comply with a warrant to provide specific information if it is available.

He specifically stated he will NOT provide a carte blanche back door to law enforcement.
    skstrials likes this.
    08-04-16 09:19 AM
51 123