Edited, Has anyone done this, can it be done,,,,

My 9810 is running on 7.0 bundle 1948 (7.0.0.439), On my PC, in the RIM OS, can I move the Vendor.xml to another folder, say I move it into documents, then I delete the 7.0 off my PC.

Then I download and install leaked 7.1 onto my PC, then I delete the Vendor.xml in the 7.1 OS, then I copy the Vendor.xml from 7.0 into 7.1....

Whats going to happen???

Michaelaw
    Last edited by mawil1013; 01-14-12 at 06:11 PM.
    01-14-12 02:56 PM
    For the sake of argument, let's say that Orange in the UK has a BBOS version 6.0.0.999 for my BlackBerry Torch 9800. Since AT&T's officially supported version is .570 (I think), I wouldn't mind getting that Orange update. BBOS versions that are supported by a carrier are usually pretty solid. Ah, but that vendor.xml file would prevent me from using it. The file won't match the hardware on my AT&T Torch. Well then, I'll have to delete it.
    The only time you'd need to delete vendor.xml is when you're installing an unofficial update. Official updates have vendor.xml files that already match the hardware on your phone. The update is already official; you won't need any tinkering to get it to work.
    To delete Vendor.xml or not to delete, that is the question
    01-14-12 03:06 PM
    I agree the vendor.xml needs deleted, what i want to know is why not transfer the official vendor.xml into the leaked os after.
    01-14-12 03:11 PM
    I agree the vendor.xml needs deleted, what i want to know is why not transfer the official vendor.xml into the leaked os after.
    Not sure about that one, it's just easier to delete it and move on.
    Maybe each vendor file is specifically unique to each OS? Good question.
    Last edited by californiablackberry; 01-14-12 at 03:15 PM.
    01-14-12 03:12 PM
    I'm not exactly sure what the file does or what's contained within it, but because the file prevents the user from installing an OS not released by their respective carrier, my guess is that the Vendor.xml file sort of "locks" your BlackBerry from any OS not released by your carrier. It doesn't just prevent leaked OSs, but even official OSs that have been released by other carriers are blocked from your phone if the Vendor.xml file isn't deleted.

Just my guess, though.
    01-14-12 03:39 PM
    I'm not exactly sure what the file does or what's contained within it, but because the file prevents the user from installing an OS not released by their respective carrier, my guess is that the Vendor.xml file sort of "locks" your BlackBerry from any OS not released by your carrier. It doesn't just prevent leaked OSs, but even official OSs that have been released by other carriers are blocked from your phone if the Vendor.xml file isn't deleted.

Just my guess, though.
    Your guess is correct...

@ the OP...
    The vendor.xml file indicates by a numerical value what carrier the OS is purposed for.
    Each carrier has their own 3 digit number that identifies itself with BlackBerry devices.
    If the .xml is from your carrier, no problem. Load away!
    If not, the .xml file prevents the OS from being recognized by DM or your carrier.

For example... For T-Mobile USA the carrier code is 100.
    If the .xml file within an OS does not have that "100" marker, it can't be loaded onto a T-Mobile device.

Please see this list of carrier ID numbers. These numbers can be found in the .xml files if you look.

http://forums.crackberry.com/tips-ho...or-ids-415897/
    01-14-12 03:56 PM
    To delete Vendor.xml or not to delete, that is the question[/URL]
    If you want to up OS you must delete Vendor.xml
    01-14-12 09:20 PM
    Your guess is correct...

@ the OP...
    The vendor.xml file indicates by a numerical value what carrier the OS is purposed for.
    Each carrier has their own 3 digit number that identifies itself with BlackBerry devices.
    If the .xml is from your carrier, no problem. Load away!
    If not, the .xml file prevents the OS from being recognized by DM or your carrier.

For example... For T-Mobile USA the carrier code is 100.
    If the .xml file within an OS does not have that "100" marker, it can't be loaded onto a T-Mobile device.

Please see this list of carrier ID numbers. These numbers can be found in the .xml files if you look.

http://forums.crackberry.com/tips-ho...or-ids-415897/
    Thanks for clearing that up! I was wondering for a while now exactly what that file had within.
    MADBRADNYC likes this.
    01-14-12 10:15 PM
    The real question is� Why would you want to do that? It really isn�t needed�

It is just dead weight that does nothing for your device, limits your possibilities, and takes up space/memory that you can use for other purposes.

Only the carriers have a use for it, and it is basically to limit what you can do with the device you paid for and own.

It�s like an appendix� Not really serving any purpose at all.

An admittedly extreme example�
    It�s year 2156 and humans have the ability to keep their outer shell of appearance, but can exchange all inner organs for newer and better functioning ones. When you are old and in need of new organs, having an existing appendix prevents you from �upgrading�. So, in order to complete the �upgrade� you have it removed. Now you can always �upgrade� whenever you please at any future time and date, or source (as long it is compatible with your body �model number-). Why would you want to place the old organ into a new system, so you would never be able to �upgrade� again? That would be limiting yourself to whatever system you currently have without the ability to move forward if another �body system OS� with fresh technology presents itself in the future.

Same with the vendor.xml file. It is not needed, and serves no real purpose for the end user. Sure, it may be possible to place your carriers .xml file in your new OS, but for what purpose? It just keeps you locked to the carrier, and you have to wait until that carrier adopts a new OS in order to upgrade. And, that upgrade that is provided may never be the latest & greatest OS at that. I see no reason to even have a desire to input their carriers .xml file into a new OS.

Similarly, when you unlock your device to be able to use a SIM card from any carrier around the world, why would you have a desire to be locked back into your carriers network again for no apparent reason? Deleting the .xml file, just like unlocking your device provides additional freedom for the end user.
    01-14-12 11:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD