My husband has the Blackberry Torch (AT&T). We wanted to find out all the things that it can do. I was wondering what are the perks of the Blackberry. We already know it does email and social media and texting well. What else can it do? Also, what are some of your favorite apps? I use an Android phone and really enjoy it. Just wondering how we can get the most out of this Blackberry. Thanks!
    07-06-11 01:12 PM
    There was this pretty cool app that let you assign different color LED notifications to different contacts, so you knew who was trying to text you or whatever. Don't remember the name though.
    07-06-11 02:03 PM
    for me the perks of BB are the instant communication features that the phone offers, as well as having the #1 mobile security.
    07-06-11 02:19 PM
    I have a Tour that I love. I do like the looks of the Torch though. I use mine to check stocks, weather, txt with my daughter in europe free. Use google for GPS on it. convert units, currency. browes internet., skype, dictionary,

have
    yahoo finance
    Google Maps
    showme weather
    world clock
    the conversion factor
    dictionary
    compass
    currency converters
    Opra mini
    whatsapp

Love my Blackberry, plan to always have one
    07-06-11 02:24 PM
    I would suggest a new user starts here to learn more about BlackBerry.
    07-06-11 02:38 PM
    Dependability, very reliable, BBM, battery life etc...
    07-06-11 06:27 PM
    There was this pretty cool app that let you assign different color LED notifications to different contacts, so you knew who was trying to text you or whatever. Don't remember the name though.
    I believe you mean BeBuzz - it's awesome!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-06-11 07:10 PM
    I would also add in automatic backup and easy sync with BB Desktop. Easy access to contact actions almost anywhere. Great multi-tasking. Unified inbox.

After going to Android I miss the truly unified inbox and BB Desktop's integrated, easy sync and backup.
    07-06-11 07:24 PM
    I have the 9700 and have previously used/had experience with android and iphone 4. What I like about the 9700 is reliability, it NEVER crashes. Ease of use, everything from email to setting up bluetooth to connect to my hearing aids was simple. Battery life goes without saying, same with keyboard.
    If you don't need a ton of applications and want something stable for email, text and phone calls check out bb.
    07-06-11 08:01 PM
    I love my BlackBerry because I love the form factor, love bbm, and love how simple and reliable it is.
    I'm not a fan of phones with gigantic screens and whatnot. I plan on using BlackBerry for a long time

07-07-11 04:45 PM
    Bbm, keypad, led.

It would be great if we had software that actually worked properly.

07-07-11 06:43 PM
    Battery life

BBM

Excellent Keyboard

Great Messaging

Decent apps (admittedly not a strong point)

Browser is now better than before thanks to 6.0, but relatively outdated hardware on the in-market models (9700, 9780,9650 etc) hold it back. Next OS should rectify this and make it absolutely perfect for me.
    07-07-11 06:45 PM
    I would also add in automatic backup and easy sync with BB Desktop. Easy access to contact actions almost anywhere. Great multi-tasking. Unified inbox.

After going to Android I miss the truly unified inbox and BB Desktop's integrated, easy sync and backup.
    Because synching via the cloud is so much harder than synching with DM. :S
    07-07-11 07:25 PM
    The Keyboard.
    07-07-11 07:47 PM
    BBM. There are alternatives, but nothing can match it.
    Build quality. I'm not gentle with my phones, and I've never had a Berry die on me. (Especially my old 8310, its a tank. Dropped, thrown, been in a pool twice, run over by a quad, you name it. My dad uses it to this day.)
    Rock solid core functions. Call quality and messaging are unrivaled.
    Battery life. My phone outlasts all my colleagues by a wide margin.
    Keyboard. Best in the industry. Needs no further explanation.

BlackBerry may not have all the new games and apps, or a big 4 inch touchscreen to play HD movies, but screw that. I want a reliable phone for me to use, not a flashy phone for me to show off. Only BlackBerry offers that.
    07-07-11 08:30 PM
    Three reasons:
    1. Battery life
    2. Battery life
    3. Battery life

oh and a fourth:

4. it just plain works!
    07-07-11 08:30 PM
    I also have a Torch and while their aren't many apps that other platforms don't also have, millions of useless apps is never why I shop for a phone. It does have all the important ones, Weather, Facebook, Youtube, etc.

I luv the form factor to the Torch, great QWERTY keyboard and Trackpad of other Blackberry models and in a addition a good touch screen too for a larger display on a Blackberry.

Also BeBuzz is pretty sweet, just knowing who is contacting you through the different assigned colored alerts. BBM used to be a godsend, but some apps like Kik or Pingchat do similar things across different platforms. BBM is better than those other messaging services, but it only works from BB to BB. Being that more and more of my contacts are switching platforms, its not as great as it used to be.

I also like the Blackberry Desktop Manager by plugging the BB into the computer, transferring certain files like MP3's that work great.

I also like the layout with the action button, most people make it a camera, I designate it as a quick shortcut to Shazam. Also like the ease of use in the berry button and the ability to tether to my computer for free and bridge to my Playbook for free.

Luv my BB Torch!
    07-07-11 09:32 PM

It would be great if we had software that actually worked properly.
    i'd say the software works just as well if not better than Android & iOS.
    07-07-11 11:05 PM
    Blackberries are very easy to use, simple, and great messaging devices..ironically the Playbook is the opposite.
    07-08-11 07:03 AM
    i'd say the software works just as well if not better than Android & iOS.
    I have no experience with Android but my experience with iOS suggests that in some ways iOS works better. No truncated emails, Exchange Active Sync support, video calling etc.

07-08-11 08:14 AM
    BB are super useful and easy in everything and i really have enough od app and all this kind of things!
    07-18-11 07:21 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD