Ok, PERSONALLY, I am new to the smart phone arena. My only play time with a Blackberry is my friends Curve and a friends Tour. I think they are pretty ok, but I constantly see, on forum etc. The RIM OS ..., restrictive etc. But I don't understand why?

I searched for a thread perhaps pertaining to it, no luckish but kind of clueless regardless. What is so bad about the BB OS?
    09-28-09 10:24 PM
    i cant say anything bad about it. people who dont use nor like a product in general will have nothing good to say about it. are these people speaking from experience? personally, i think iphones suck and their OS is restrictive. at least more than a blackberry OS.
    09-28-09 10:27 PM
    Well I read this boy genius report about how the Java OS or whatever they use ... compared to Apple OS and stuff, which really answered nothing for me when I read.

What happened to Research In Motion and where are they going? : Boy Genius Report

I mean, I don't game on my cellphone, I like my cellphone to stay connected (if you understand what I mean) not to play games on per say (less someone else wanted to fool with it) I mean I have my computer to play games on. So, guess I am trying to see if there is serious flaws in their OS, no preference flaws like, I like to game or done game.
    09-28-09 10:38 PM
    Ok,

I have only had my BB for a few months and my wife has had her Iphone for a few months.

Mine= Much better email. (mine is corporate/BES)
    Can download directly from BB world for software.
    Very stable OS.

Iphone= Nice web browsing
    Nice games

Basically BB OS is great for business needs. I would be very jealous of my wifes Iphone if I didn't use mine for business.
    So it really depends on what you are going to use it for.

Has been said many times but no phone is perfect for everybody.
    09-28-09 10:45 PM
    Okay, so here's my problems with BB OS.
    Basically it's older and not designed for the use it sees now a days.
    It's actually a near PERFECT OS for it's originally intended use.

But since most of us go well past the original intended use of the BB OS, here's my litany of problems:

1.)Poor web browser. Yeah it's great for WAP and other mobile formatted pages, but once you get out on the open web, it comes up real short.

2.)Mediocre media player. Yeah, it's not horrible, but it's not great. Not even "good" IMO.

3.)Dated User Interface. One big screen with folders as the only way to organize apps? Eww...

4.)Memory leaks. Why should I have to do regular battery pulls to make my Berry usable?

All these things are due to pushing the limits of what the BB OS was designed for, and I know certain things are already in the works to address these issues (like RIM buying Torch to make a better web browser).

But RIM devices are traditionally built for the corporate world, and so, the BB OS has hands down the best e-mail, solid PIM, and most of all is stable and secure.
    09-28-09 11:33 PM
    I switched to the iPhone and couldn't even take it for a day. Great iPod/gaming system, inferior smartphone (for me, personally). I was so ecstatic to have my baby BlackBerry back!

I love the OS, I can literally do anything with it, as opposed to Apple's which I found to be very limited. I never knew how great it was to have a dedicated Menu button and a flashing LED light... lol. It's not as pretty or shiny as the iPhone's OS, but I'll take function over looks any day for a phone.
    09-28-09 11:43 PM
    I'd love to have an iPhone, but only as a secondary device, not a replacement for my Curve.

Here's sort of the irony of the situation.
    The iPhone OS is limited intentionally by Apple. It's based off the OSX core, which itself is Unix based. It could do literally ANYTHING if Apple wanted it to.
    The BB OS is far more versatile then the Apple OS, due being pushed well past its limits by RIM despite its aging Java core.
    09-28-09 11:54 PM
    Okay, so here's my problems with BB OS.
    Basically it's older and not designed for the use it sees now a days.
    It's actually a near PERFECT OS for it's originally intended use.

But since most of us go well past the original intended use of the BB OS, here's my litany of problems:

1.)Poor web browser. Yeah it's great for WAP and other mobile formatted pages, but once you get out on the open web, it comes up real short.

2.)Mediocre media player. Yeah, it's not horrible, but it's not great. Not even "good" IMO.

3.)Dated User Interface. One big screen with folders as the only way to organize apps? Eww...

4.)Memory leaks. Why should I have to do regular battery pulls to make my Berry usable?

All these things are due to pushing the limits of what the BB OS was designed for, and I know certain things are already in the works to address these issues (like RIM buying Torch to make a better web browser).

But RIM devices are traditionally built for the corporate world, and so, the BB OS has hands down the best e-mail, solid PIM, and most of all is stable and secure.
    Aside from the inferior browser (which should see massive improvement within the next year due to RIM's purchase of Torch Mobile) and memory leaks (I never have to do battery pulls unless BerryBuzz or Bluetooth is acting up), I really don't see what's wrong with the media player. It's basically identical to any other MP3 playing smartphone out there. It even lacks the same features that mostly all other MP3 players out there (in general) are missing.
    I also don't see what's wrong with how the UI is organized. I don't know about you, but I feel farely at home with folders and app icons on a grid. If I wanted some sort of menu, I could get the app launcher. I also really like how the end call button will bring me back to the menu screen instantly without having to use the app switcher (thanks to my friend for showing me that). Of course, something like the UI is totally based on user preferance. I'm just curious as to what kind of improvements you'd like to see with the media player (CUE sheet and volume normalization support would be nice) and UI.
    09-29-09 01:22 AM
    I don't think there is anything wrong with the Blackberry OS. Will I admit that its aging yes is it outdated? No! It still works better than WinMo and the User interface is better than many also! I just feel right at home when I hop on a blackberry no matter what model it is. I'm truly a berry addict though. I just don't think there are many phones on the market that multitask as well as the blackberry or just do regular functions as well as it does. Its literailly one of the best smart phones on the market I don't think there are many to compare.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    09-29-09 02:03 AM
    For the Media Player, you're right. It's not much worse than most others. That still doesn't mean it's great.
    Here's my gripes:
    1)I find Playlists a real PITA to create or edit. Not unique to the BB by any means, but my old PalmOS Sony Clie did a much better job, and even my SE w580i is little bit easier.
    2)I find it sluggish and slow to respond. It usually takes 2-3 seconds just to start playing the first song in a playlist.
    This may be a result of my older hardware (Curve 8310), but my SE phone plays instantly, and even my ancient Clie only took about .5-1 second. And it's not just playing; everything seems to have noticeable lag.
    3)I also just find it much harder to navigate the various functions on my Curve than the Walkman software on my SE phone too.

As for the UI...
    I find it works fine for about 10 or less apps, but I find having to dig through folders to find a rarely used app annoying.
    It just makes me feel like I'm using Windows 3.1 all over again.
    I suppose, again, it wouldn't be as bad if it didn't make me wait every time I go into a folder or go back to the main screen.

Just some way to quickly flip through categorized apps would make a huge difference.
    Even if I could just go from folder to folder directly, without having to back out to the main screen, flick over to the next folder and open it, would be huge.
    My PalmOS device had categories for apps, the iPhone and Pre have multiple screens...

But then again. I'm using an OS (4.5) released for my phone, and I only have about a dozen apps installed. Why should I have any wait time at all?

I'm not one of these kids that's all about eye candy. Yeah, Palm's WebOS is prettier. ****, the Sony Walkman software is prettier, but I don't care about that. I just want it to work.
    09-29-09 02:28 AM
    BlackBerry OS is the best OS ive used thus far...what is there to complain about?
    09-29-09 07:17 AM
    I only have a pearl and never had any problem with my running os.. I think its quite acceptable

09-29-09 11:30 AM
    Ok, PERSONALLY, I am new to the smart phone arena. My only play time with a Blackberry is my friends Curve and a friends Tour. I think they are pretty ok, but I constantly see, on forum etc. The RIM OS ..., restrictive etc. But I don't understand why?

I searched for a thread perhaps pertaining to it, no luckish but kind of clueless regardless. What is so bad about the BB OS?
    There is really no major faults with the BB OS. It is completely functional and reliable, but just outdated. I have had three BBs and loved them all. Now I have an iPhone and can see a huge difference between the two. My iPhone is faster, no memory leaks meaning no rebooting or lagging, the UI is better looking and easier to navigate. I still like BBs. I thought my Bold was the greatest device on the planet. They just need to do a few fixes and design adjustments and it will be a great OS.

09-29-09 04:16 PM
    For the Media Player, you're right. It's not much worse than most others. That still doesn't mean it's great.
    Here's my gripes:
    1)I find Playlists a real PITA to create or edit. Not unique to the BB by any means, but my old PalmOS Sony Clie did a much better job, and even my SE w580i is little bit easier.
    2)I find it sluggish and slow to respond. It usually takes 2-3 seconds just to start playing the first song in a playlist.
    This may be a result of my older hardware (Curve 8310), but my SE phone plays instantly, and even my ancient Clie only took about .5-1 second. And it's not just playing; everything seems to have noticeable lag.
    3)I also just find it much harder to navigate the various functions on my Curve than the Walkman software on my SE phone too.
    I see. I just listen to albums from start to finish and I've never even attempted to create a playlist before. I guess for my intents and purposes, there's not much to be improved (except those couple things I mentioned that I wish were implemented on all MP3 players). Either way, no matter how "bad" the media player is, it sure as **** beats carrying around another gadget and fumbling with the earbuds whenever I get a phone call.

As for the folders... Well, all my less commonly used apps just stay in the "Downloaded" folder, so I know exactly where they are. Anything more commonly used are either in some other folder that's grouped with other similar applications, or just on the main screen. Meh...
    09-29-09 06:14 PM
    I see. I just listen to albums from start to finish and I've never even attempted to create a playlist before. I guess for my intents and purposes, there's not much to be improved.
    Fair enough. I hardly ever listen to whole albums when I'm on the go.
    Basically, for something as powerful as a Berry I really want a full featured media player that can match what I can do on my PC.

Either way, no matter how "bad" the media player is, it sure as **** beats carrying around another gadget and fumbling with the earbuds whenever I get a phone call.
    True, but for me it worked out okay. For various reasons, I've recently stopped using my Berry as a phone (battery life, unable to use the internet while on the phone are the big ones). Since I've gone back to my Sony Ericsson Walkman phone as a phone, I've gone back to using it as my MP3 player too.

As for the folders... Well, all my less commonly used apps just stay in the "Downloaded" folder, so I know exactly where they are. Anything more commonly used are either in some other folder that's grouped with other similar applications, or just on the main screen. Meh...
    I have my apps grouped too, but say I'm talking to my wife (on my Sony phone), and she wants have friends over for dinner tonight.
    So I pull up the calendar from my docked bar on my today screen. I make sure my schedule is clear, and then I need to plan a menu, so I go back to my home today screen wait one sec, hit menu to go to my app screen wait another sec, scroll down to my Misc. folder (like your download folder), wait 2 sec for it to open, and open up my food network app. I figure out my food menu, go back to my app screen (another 1 sec), scroll back up to get to my social networking folder, wait 2 seconds again, open facebook, send invitations, go back to my app screen (wait another sec), open notepad to make a list of ingredients to buy.

On my PalmOS device:
    Hit my calendar button to open my calendar, make sure it's clear.
    Hit home, click on my my Misc tab, open my menu planning app (no waiting). Open my web browser, and go to facebook (yeah, no facebook app ) and send invites, hit my notepad button and make my shopping list.
    Sit back and watch the BlackBerry me keep futzing for another 2 minutes...
    09-29-09 07:28 PM
    nothing is bad with the bb os
    09-29-09 07:49 PM
    It's pretty user friendly. It's just starting to become outdated. The memory problems are the biggest concerns. And not being able to run apps from the memory card.
    09-29-09 08:18 PM
    Yes its just takes a little while to fiqure things out as far as finding my way around though the settings .I like it better then what I had that's forsure. . That was windows mobile 5 OS on a motoQ

09-29-09 08:57 PM
    Yes its just takes a little while to fiqure things out as far as finding my way around though the settings .I like it better then what I had that's forsure. . That was windows mobile 5 OS on a motoQ

WinMo sucks.... So, yeah, you're better off now than with it...
    09-30-09 12:58 AM
    WinMo sucks.... So, yeah, you're better off now than with it...
    I like windows mobile. If it didn't create such lag In phones I would say that it is probably the more versatile OS. Maybe they will make a comeback with 6.5 and 7.

09-30-09 04:12 AM
    It's personal preference. I love BB OS.

09-30-09 06:25 AM
    I remembered another BIG flaw with the BB OS. While I was paying my phone bill.

With the iPod OS, the two wireless connections (WiFi and GSM) operate transparently to the apps.
    By this I mean that the iPhone apps can't tell, and don't care if you're connected by WiFi or GSM. All they know is that there is internet access.
    With BlackBerry, it seems apps have to be written to take advantage of a specific wireless connection.
    Basically, you can use online iPhone apps without a data plan, as long as you have WiFi coverage, but most BB online apps REQUIRE you to have a full data plan.

What's your point, you may ask?
    Well, my wife has an e-mail plan for her 8220, which gives her unlimited text/messaging/e-mail, but doesn't allow for other internet access. Since she's not interested apps, for the most part it doesn't matter, but she'd love to be able to use GoogleSync. However GoogleSync refuses to use her WiFi connection, so she's out of luck.
    The cheapest full-data plan available to us costs TWICE what she pays for e-mail only, so I'm not really about to pay $20/month extra just for google sync...
    And yeah, Google should fix their damn app, but if the OS was designed properly, it wouldn't be an issue.
    10-02-09 07:28 AM
    ok i don't really see how the os is outdated. I for one love the os. It isn't flashy as ****, but it serves it's purpose.

The media player is great for me. Yea it takes a quick second to play the song....but honestly are you itching that badly that you need to hear "wind beneath my wings" now?

honestly i think the blackberry is great as long as ur not coming from the iphone user circle. I hear alot of iphone users who always tell me "i have all this, and this, and my phone can do this." I LOVE throwing it in their face about a sms virus haha
    10-02-09 07:35 AM
    I like the folders. I know where my stuff is. I use folders in my filing cabinet too.

I'm not sure about older devices but the browser on the Tour is pretty decent. I installed Opera but found that it had no real advantages over the integrated browser & deleted it again. Both have the column/mobile AND page views. Neither of those is really ideal since one requires excessive scrolling up and down and the other requires excessive zooming in and out and scrolling left/right.

I wish we had flash though. Does the iPhone have it? I honestly don't know.

Oh yeah and I also wish we could get data at the same time as a voice call. Not so much for streaming music (that'd be kinda stupid) but so we can look something up online while talking to someone. Maybe that's a CDMA issue and not a BB one, but I don't like it.
    Last edited by dchawk81; 10-02-09 at 07:59 AM.
    10-02-09 07:38 AM
    The media player is great for me. Yea it takes a quick second to play the song....but honestly are you itching that badly that you need to hear "wind beneath my wings" now?
    From my music library screen it takes from 8 to 10 seconds to start playing a song.
    Is that going to kill me? No, of course not. But my point is WHY should I have to wait?
    As I've said before; for the most part it's not what's wrong with the BBOS, it's more about what's not right.

honestly i think the blackberry is great as long as ur not coming from the iphone user circle. I hear alot of iphone users who always tell me "i have all this, and this, and my phone can do this."
    Yeah, but I'm NOT coming from an iPhone. I'm coming from a 6-year-old Palm Pilot. And I'm still saying "My Palm can do this better".

I'm not sure about older devices but the browser on the Tour is pretty decent. I installed Opera but found that it had no real advantages over the integrated browser & deleted it again. Both have the column/mobile AND page views. Neither of those is really ideal since one requires excessive scrolling up and down and the other requires excessive zooming in and out and scrolling left/right.
    AFAIK the browsers are all pretty close, after you're only .1 OS ahead of my Curve.
    Well, it depends on the page, but with the BB Browser:
    I find the formatting on more complex pages is sketchy at best, and some pages end up unuseable. I especially find this to be true on JavaScript-heavy pages.
    Also, the BB Browser shrinks images too much, and lacks the ability to zoom in.
    Also, the BB Browser is much slower, at least at EDGE speeds. Maybe your Ev-DO makes up for this though.

I wish we had flash though. Does the iPhone have it? I honestly don't know.
    They have the ability to do flash video (i.e. YouTube) and supposedly full Flash is on it's way (or possibly already out... I don't keep that much track of iPhone stuff)

Oh yeah and I also wish we could get data at the same time as a voice call. Not so much for streaming music (that'd be kinda stupid) but so we can look something up online while talking to someone. Maybe that's a CDMA issue and not a BB one, but I don't like it.
    That is a CDMA issue. GSM has the same problem. The only solution is a UMTS/HSDPA device like the Bold or 9700.
    10-02-09 02:28 PM
51 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD