I live in So Paulo, Brazil, a megalopolis with 13.6 million people in the city.

Among upper class and influential people BlackBerry here is huge, including our Government and teens.

I own a Z10, everyone I show it to, they get surprised and wish they had seen it before.

I was in one of our top malls this weekend, Cidade Jardim, three of the main carriers have stores there. Not a single display of Z10 or q10.

I approached one of the sales guys at Vivo ( Brazil largest carrier) and he said that a lot of people come in and ask about the phone because a friend of a friend had it and thinks it is awesome and that they wish they had seen or learned about it before.

I ask, if in a city with 13 million people, a metropolis that loves BlackBerry why don't we see more advertising??????

Every corner of this city there is Lumina Windows ads.....

Posted via CB10
    09-02-13 02:34 PM
    I wonder if you could buy bbrys and sell them to your local market. We all need to do our part

Posted via CB10
    09-02-13 02:35 PM
    I was really thinking about it

Posted via CB10
    09-02-13 02:37 PM
    doesn't seem that blackberry wants to spend the money advertising their products, doesn't seem like they give two ****s about getting consumer sales, mroe just trying to sell BES10 services, only thing is they need the consumer sales to tell the market that BlackBerry isn't dying and to tell corperations that their investment in the BES service will still be supported
    09-02-13 02:44 PM
    I think it's plain and simple. They just don't know what they are doing. It seems they have no leadership at all. No one seems to be guiding the company in any direction. No meaningful communication whatsoever with it's investors or it's customers. Everyone is left to guess at what BB is doing. They could very easily announce what their business and sales strategy is and have people at least see that they have some kind of plan but they refuse to even toy with the question of "what are you doing and where are you going?" Every single company should be able to answer those questions without hesitation. Any basic business student should use BB of today as an example of how not to run a business. It's a shame because they do have a competitive product. It's just in the wrong hands.
    kbz1960 and CHIP72 like this.
    09-02-13 02:58 PM
    Again and again: it's either sheer incompetency, a royal ****up at a very massive scale or TH (along with his ilks) are much more concerned about their walkaway package in case of a (highly likely) buyout hence keeping the books in good shape, cashflow balanced etc enjoy much higher priority over trying to sell phones through aggressive but expensive marketing.

Sent from my Xperia T using CB Forums mobile app
    09-02-13 04:22 PM
    doesn't seem that blackberry wants to spend the money advertising their products, doesn't seem like they give two ****s about getting consumer sales, mroe just trying to sell BES10 services, only thing is they need the consumer sales to tell the market that BlackBerry isn't dying and to tell corperations that their investment in the BES service will still be supported
    I think they are just hoping to be bought out and they are saving the money to entice buyers
    09-02-13 04:37 PM
    What is the point of releasing a great new product and then not aggressively marketing said product? I'm completely lost here; it doesn't make any sense. What the F are they doing????!!

Posted via CB10
    09-02-13 08:58 PM
    Out of the 13 million or so population of your city, how many can afford a z10? I imagine there is a vast income discrepancy in Brazil between the masses and the "upper class and elite."You and your compatriots are greatly outnumbered by those who can't afford high end blackberries.

Why spend money marketing products in areas of the world where very few can afford to buy the goods?
    09-02-13 09:20 PM
    Out of the 13 million or so population of your city, how many can afford a z10? I imagine there is a vast income discrepancy in Brazil between the masses and the "upper class and elite."You and your compatriots are greatly outnumbered by those who can't afford high end blackberries.

Why spend money marketing products in areas of the world where very few can afford to buy the goods?
    Because its not for BlackBerry to decide who can and can't get the phone. If its available in the country, it should be marketed. Going in with the view that marketing is a waste of money because people cant afford it is a moronic strategy. Most people who own iphones in north america can't actually afford them. You'd be hard pressed to find any "average" person who can actually dish out $600+ for a phone (be it iphone, bb10, droid or wp8). But people who want the device (which is what marketing does....make people want it) will find a way to get it. Even if it means they have to spend 1/3 of their paycheck saving up for it, that's their issue, not BlackBerry's.

And on that note, i havent seen ANY in store marketing in Canada, and this is BBs home market. Sales people arent trained, they're not knowledgeable, and they have no incentives to sell.

I've had a lot of friends who used to be in the cell phone game, and they would get twice the commission on every BB device sold (this is like, 2007 ish) as opposed to any other.
    09-02-13 10:20 PM
    BlackBerry is being run by opportunists who are only interested in short term gain. There is clearly no long term plan or vision for the company at all. That much is obvious despite the ramblings and hollow promises made by the present CEO.
    09-02-13 10:41 PM
    Because its not for BlackBerry to decide who can and can't get the phone. If its availablele in the country, it should be marketed. Going in with the view that marketing is a waste money because people cant afford it is a moronic strategy. Most people who own iphones in north america can't actually afford them. You'd be hard pressed to find any "average" person who can actually dish out $600+ for a phone (be it iphone, bb10, droid or wp8). But people who want the device (which is what marketing does....make people want it) will find a way to get it. Even if it means they have to spend 1/3 of their paycheck saving up for it, that's their issue, not BlackBerry's.

And on that note, i havent seen ANY in store marketing in Canada, and this is BBs home market. Sales people arent trained, they're not knowledgeable, and they have no incentives to sell.

I've had a lot of friends who used to be in the cell phone game, and they would get twice the commission on every BB device sold (this is like, 2007 ish) as opposed to any other.
    What are you even talking about? Are you really going to compare the first world (US and Canada) with a developing country (Brazil)? The standards of living for the lower classes are very different. your example about "saving 1/3 of a paycheck" to buy a blackberry demonstrates an ignorance of the economic conditions faced by most who live in OP's city.
    09-02-13 11:08 PM
    So Paulo can afford BlackBerry. Sao Paulo has the number one fleet of helicopters in the world, the 3 rd city world wide in number of millionaires. Apple Store sold 3 million I phones in 5 weeks. Apple has a strong, strong presence here ( www.apple.com.br). Sao Paulo state has 19 million active smartphone contracts and yhe city has 6.7 million. We have 39 high-end shopping malls in the city alone.

I know there is a social gap in Brazil, but look up city of So Paulo on Wikipedia, you would be surprised with the figures.

I wrote the post because people do love Blackberries here and it is a huge market .

Posted via CB10
    09-03-13 03:43 AM