OK, you hear a noise at your door and investigated, only to find your Postal Carrier on your step opening your mail.
    You asked them what was going on and they explained "for the service of delivering your mail one of the terms is they have the right to look through each document". Would that be acceptable to you.
    And if not, why would you allow a third party (non government entity) access to your personal documents and data on your smartphone. Which in (modern terms) could have more information about you and your family than your mail.

I installed Norton Security on my laptop, which gave me an option to use it on other devices. So I installed it on my Z10 and ran a scan on my phone.
    It identified " The Score" (sports app ) as a potential risk. Now I have had this app installed for almost as long as I had my phone. It was one of the first apps I had and my "goto" Sports app. Then a while back, through an update things got "sticky". And the permission requirements changed. And out of the ton of apps I have installed, this is the one that has been found to be "Middle Risk".

I say this to point out that there was a reason BlackBerry World was different from other app stores. It had a standard and that standard needs to remain. I'm aware that BlackBerry is moving into different areas and OS supports, but please don't leave behind "Options" that made you BlackBerry. I'm asking that they continue to support app development that produces apps we can trust on the consumers side of the business, not just the corporate side.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 01:24 AM
    Just like the postal services, BB has guidelines and policies for how apps and vendors have to behave. The postal services (in general) don't allow their posties to stand on doorsteps opening other people's mail and BB doesn't permit third party apps to misuse user's data.
    Does that prevent a rogue postie from opening someone else's mail? No, but if/when he gets caught he'll be in hot water.
    Does that prevent a rogue app from misusing a user's personal data? No, but if/when it gets discovered the vendor will be in hot water.

There is no absolute security and you can't buy security off the shelf. It's a process, a mindset and you have to decide how much you need and who to trust to get it.

You have implied criticism of third party apps which you don't seem to trust, but you have faith in Norton Security - a third party app which you do seem to trust, even though many people wouldn't touch it with a long stick. I hypothesize
    that the difference is merely branding/marketing.

You're right that BB should keep stringent checks on the quality of apps in BBW. They should really have done this from the very beginning and not made it easy to add low quality crap with "app generators" and the like, which just make it harder for the good apps to shine. But then, one man's junk is another man's gold.

Life's complicated.
    09-19-15 03:26 AM
    BlackBerry 10 has a pretty advanced permissions system, you can allow or deny any native app multiple permissions. For example you can deny WhatsApp to scan and upload your contact list for example. Of course denying certain permissions can cause trouble with some apps, but you can always enable them later on.

On Android (at least pre Marshmallow), and Windows Phone (not sure about iOS) things aren't that simple. Although you can check what kind of permission an app gets, but that's about it.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-15 03:43 AM
    Then a while back, through an update things got "sticky". And the permission requirements changed. And out of the ton of apps I have installed, this is the one that has been found to be "Middle Risk".
    1. What are those new permissions requirements

2. What is the reason the antivirus software gave you for classifying "The Score" app in the "Middle Risk" category?
    09-19-15 03:44 AM
    1. What are those new permissions requirements

2. What is the reason the antivirus software gave you for classifying "The Score" app in the "Middle Risk" category?

Posted via CB10

A1) it's been a while since the update, but as I recall it requested permission to access to shared files and other personal data.

A2) when I selected the Middle Risk icon, it displayed an alert to access of" Personal Data Shared (SIM card details)" . Along with an alert to "Ads Display (In-App) " (not a problem) and low "Background Data Usage".

Now, if it access the Notification Center on the Hub to notify me of scores, sports news or games times, that's understandable.
    Even my Calendar to display upcoming events.

But why would it need access to my SIM card data, to report sporting events.

The good thing is that the Norton (although a third party app) furnished enough actionable information to make a decision. And that's the reason for posting the thread.
    09-19-15 06:10 PM