Just puzzled. Why in Gods world BB letting bad news go out about laying off 40% of their staff the same day they launch the Z30 and announce release of BBM cross platform.

Is it because the new releases are received with general indifference? Or is it a case of bad news is better than no news?
    09-18-13 04:27 PM
    Wall Street likes layoffs. It means that a company is cheaper to run and thus more easily profitable. This, not bad news for some. A potential buyer may also like not to have to do layoffs itself.

Posted via CB10
    JGuez55 likes this.
    09-18-13 04:30 PM
    BlackBerry didn't let out the news. It was let out by the Wall Street Journal, with some admittedly rather suspicious timing.
    09-18-13 04:34 PM
    the two posts above me pretty much sum up the correct answer.
    i'm just here to say hey.
    09-18-13 04:39 PM
    I'm not a conspiracy theorists but the timing of that story dropping was ridiculous.
    09-18-13 04:42 PM
    BlackBerry didn't let out the news. It was let out by the Wall Street Journal, with some admittedly rather suspicious timing.
    See the contribution of lawmanguy this is out today for business reasons. The restructuring plan is nearing it's conclusion.
    09-18-13 04:47 PM
    It's old news recycled weekly

Posted via CB10
    09-18-13 05:28 PM
    They can't catch a break!

Swiped On My Zed10
    09-18-13 05:32 PM
    Neither the new product announcement nor the layoff rumor helped the stock today. It's down.

News like this about restructuring does not help when trying to sell phones. Also are the developers going to continue in providing support to the platform??

Updated WSJ article as of 5:15 pm:
    http://blogs.wsj.com/moneybeat/2013/.../?mod=yahoo_hs
    09-18-13 05:36 PM
    Honestly this really isn't news...think about it they are shedding old wait (BBOS) if you're not working on BlackBerry 10 then your going to loose your job sad situation but it's the process that was announced months ago so this really isn't new news everyone knew this was coming

Posted via CB10 with my Z10
    bbmtna likes this.
    09-18-13 05:38 PM
    I just deleted my WSJ app of my Z10. Man, that felt good!

Posted via CB10
    09-18-13 08:39 PM
    This was also on Sky news in the UK last night. It was the Z10 I spotted....thought it was about X BBM, was gobsmacked when the news was the WSJ story.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-13 04:37 AM
    Here's the thing - these stories are generally fed to the media and often by one of the factions in an organisation because it provides advantages in some internal game we don't know about or actually understand - so ask yourself who in BBRY would push this sort of stuff out and why now?
    kevinnugent likes this.
    09-19-13 05:02 AM
    This is like the news that t-mobile Netherlands is ditching BlackBerry...

Or like the news that all new BlackBerry orders are send back by customers.

I am pretty sure somebody earns a lot of money with manipulating the stock.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-13 05:07 AM
    Maybe for BBRY, the Z30 launch and BBM for iOS/Android isn't big or good news. Maybe BBRY's priority now isn't product launches but financial re-engineering to make itself more attractive for sale?

I love Malaysia. Great country...wonderful people...BUT, what other non-Malaysian brand has ever launched a new product or service solely in Malaysia at 3PM local time (3AM Eastern Time/midnight Pacific time)? Any serious international brand would launch products in multiple markets simultaneously.

Either BBRY is completely incompetent or they really didn't care what type of launch they would have.

Malaysia is not a world media market which means you don't get the buzz you get by launching in NYC or London or Tokyo or even Hong Kong.

For years, BBRY has claimed that Indonesia (not Malaysia) was one of its strongest consumer markets. I've never heard of Malaysia being anything particularly special for BBRY (unlike, say, South Africa or even India). (And the 300% claimed growth in Malaysian BB users is funny since I've never actually seen more than a handful of BB's in Malaysia on my nearly biennial trips there for the past decade so 300% of a handful is nothing but a larger handful).

And, finally, if this was really such big news, where was the CEO? If the Z30 is so important why was it launched without the CEO's presence? If BBM for iOS/Android is anywhere near as strategic as we've made it out to be, why was there no launch event or even a comment from Thorsten Heins? Would Apple launch a new device without its leadership being front and center? Would Samsung launch a new flagship device without some major buzz which involved at least the head of the Samsung division responsible being physically present if not speaking?

So perhaps the Z30 and BBM for iOS/Android announcement were considered good/big news for the Crackberry community but BBRY certainly didn't treat it anything remotely like big news.
    Last edited by NYC10065; 09-19-13 at 05:22 AM.
    09-19-13 05:08 AM
    Maybe for BBRY, the Z30 launch and BBM for iOS/Android isn't big or good news. Maybe BBRY's priority now isn't product launches but financial re-engineering to make itself more attractive for sale?

I love Malaysia. Great country...wonderful people...BUT, what other non-Malaysian brand has ever launched a new product or service solely in Malaysia at 3PM local time (3AM Eastern Time/midnight Pacific time)? .
    I could be misremembering this but I think this is how the Pre 3 was launched? They just did a press release and then with a few days of release it was taken behind the wood shed and shot?
    09-19-13 05:11 AM