Applications like Facebook Messenger and Tinder etc just drain the battery excessively (cuts battery life in half or worse).

I don't see the point in the run time. It just seems like a cheap substitute to the app problem that is half-working. I really hope they're working on improving the runtime experience.
    05-14-15 04:52 AM
    Applications like Facebook Messenger and Tinder etc just drain the battery excessively (cuts battery life in half or worse).

I don't see the point in the run time. It just seems like a cheap substitute to the app problem that is half-working. I really hope they're working on improving the runtime experience.
    To give hardcore BB users the illusion that Android apps are slow, unusable and impractical.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    05-14-15 04:57 AM

The android runtime was there from the beginning of BB10. Even apps from BBW, such as Skype of Viber, are actually Android ports that use the runtime. At this point, the Android runtime cannot be removed as it would impact apps in BBW.
    05-14-15 04:58 AM
    To give BlackBerry 10 users the illusion there is an extended selection of apps that work with optimal compatibility and efficiency.
    Last edited by birdman_38; 05-14-15 at 06:29 AM.
    05-14-15 05:05 AM
    Even apps from BBW, such as Skype of Viber, are actually Android ports that use the runtime.
    Yup, can tell since they don't work very well (or at all)!
    05-14-15 05:11 AM
    The original point of the runtime was to make it easier for developers to port their apps to BB10 to either buy time for a native version, or to gauge interest for their app on the platform. It's taken on a very different purpose since it first showed up in the PlayBook where it's now an alternate application source.

There's a lot of threads back from the PlayBook launch that cover the runtime.

Posted via CB10
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    05-14-15 05:37 AM
    Cry me a river(Justin Timberlake voice)
    iToya likes this.
    05-14-15 05:54 AM

I use many Android Apps on my Z30 and they work fine. Even some Android made Apps like Google Keep which I can access from my PC, Android or Blackberry. But most main stream 3rd party Android Apps work well for me.
    jope28 and Bbnivende like this.
    05-14-15 06:00 AM
    It's not a perfect solution, but it allows me to keep using about 80% of the apps I have on my Android phone when I'm running my Z30. I don't run Android apps though that require to be always on (like a instant messaging app) so I don't see any drain on my battery. In this case, something is better than nothing (and for me at least, the 20 Android apps I use on my Z30 all run pretty well with almost no issues).
    Bbnivende likes this.
    05-14-15 07:05 AM
    It's not a perfect solution, but it allows me to keep using about 80% of the apps I have on my Android phone when I'm running my Z30. I don't run Android apps though that require to be always on (like a instant messaging app) so I don't see any drain on my battery. In this case, something is better than nothing (and for me at least, the 20 Android apps I use on my Z30 all run pretty well with almost no issues).
    I agree with this 100%.

If a particular app drains the battery isn't the simplest solution to not use it? Dropping the Android runtime because the odd app doesn't work perfectly is throwing the baby out with the bathwater.

Posted via CB10
    Bbnivende likes this.
    05-14-15 09:48 AM
    It gives Blackberries the ability to run APK files directly without having to convert them to BAR files.
    Davantazh likes this.
    05-14-15 01:02 PM
    It gives Blackberries the ability to run APK files directly without having to convert them to BAR files.
    This was a later development beginning with 10.2.1. The runtime has been around since the PlayBook, though apps originally had to be converted to BAR files and sideloaded. It was a developer tool first and foremost.

Posted via CB10
    05-14-15 08:05 PM
    Cry me a river(Justin Timberlake voice)
    .... a Digital one... ? ;-)

�   Passposted while waiting for the Z-lider....   �
    05-15-15 04:23 PM
    To give hardcore BB users the illusion that Android apps are slow, unusable and impractical.

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    I have a Samsung Tab Pro (8.4 and 10.1) and hardly see any difference between their operation on my tablets and Passport. Do you have and run both?

The White Knight-BlackBerry Passport
    05-15-15 04:37 PM
    This was a later development beginning with 10.2.1. The runtime has been around since the PlayBook, though apps originally had to be converted to BAR files and sideloaded. It was a developer tool first and foremost.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, I had 10.3 on mind when I was typing that.
    05-15-15 06:36 PM

I detest the android runtime. You are right about battery life but this is a function of android apps and not the runtime. You know how you can modify permissions for native apps but not Droid ones? That is because the entire android ecosystem is designed to gather and report information about the user. This is why you cannot turn off permissions. Every app you install is reporting back to a variety of tracking servers which destroys your battery life. Happens on native droids as well.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-15 05:55 AM
    Android runtime serves no purpose as its broken experience but it did more harm to native developers then it helped to fill the app gap. It did wonder for the video games.

However re-wrapping or recompiling is something that could work. Considering in what state BBRY is at right now I cant see that happening but it they automated the APK rewrap into native environment they could have a winner. Basically it means replacing all the ugly default android UI and behavior with cascades. No more ugly grey popup menus, no more blue highlights in the scrolling, no options for widgets and removal of all unsupported features. Windows 10 is going that route and lets see what happens in their case.
    05-16-15 06:38 AM
    I don't see the point in the run time. It just seems like a cheap substitute to the app problem that is half-working.
    It seems to me that your second sentence contradicts the first. Clearly you do see the point of the Android runtime.
    SunshineStateFlyer likes this.
    05-16-15 08:41 AM
    The only android app that I'm actually using is Facebook page to manage my business Facebook page. Lot better the native BlackBerry apps.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-15 09:43 AM
    While battery life takes a hit, the runtime and BB10 relationship is surprisingly efficient and there is virtually zero performance hit.

A trick to help battery life with android apps is to disable the "Run while minimized" in the apps permissions page. With it enabled, the runtime stays chugging along in the background to keep the app thread alive.
    What's the point in the Android runtime?-img_20150516_110136.png

 Posted in CB10 from my amazing SQUARE OG Passport 
    05-16-15 10:01 AM
    While battery life takes a hit, the runtime and BB10 relationship is surprisingly efficient and there is virtually zero performance hit.

A trick to help battery life with android apps is to disable the "Run while minimized" in the apps permissions page. With it enabled, the runtime stays chugging along in the background to keep the app thread alive.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20150516_110136.png 
Views:	412 
Size:	141.3 KB 
ID:	353120

 Posted in CB10 from my amazing SQUARE OG Passport 
    Efficient on a passport maybe. Still struggles on the older qualcomm cpus. But gradually improving. 10.3.2 proves it's getting there.

Posted via CB10
    05-16-15 11:29 AM
    It seems to me that your second sentence contradicts the first. Clearly you do see the point of the Android runtime.
    Good one, ubizmo...

Socrates would have applauded.
    :-D

�   Passposted while waiting for the Z-lider....   �
    05-16-15 06:40 PM
    to gain market share, no?
    05-17-15 03:52 AM
    to gain market share, no?
    It's worked splendidly so far. :/
    05-17-15 08:24 AM
    If you subscribed to Spotify you wouldn't need to ask the question

Posted via CB10