I've had my Storm 2 for about a year and a half and only recently have starting seeing this notification icon and I have no idea what it is (see screenshot).

Anyone?

At least this gave me an excuse to try a screenshot program...ScreenGrabber is very nice.
    05-17-11 11:11 AM
    What email profider do you use? BIS supposedly just updated, and that could be part of it.
    05-17-11 11:45 AM
    What he said. As a matter of fact, I received the BIS upgrade notification two or three days ago. However, my plan is with AT&T and I'm almost certain that was not the icon I saw.

Also, what apps do you have?
    05-17-11 11:49 AM
    In addition to my work BES, I have a standard POP3 account (my own domain registration) provided by Powweb. My email notifications seem to be normal. I started seeing this prior to the recent BIS release though.

I can't even tell exactly what that icon is...but it looks like an envelope with a stamped seal on it. Is it maybe an expired certificate or something?
    05-17-11 11:52 AM
    I'm on verizon...and not too many 3rd party apps. Aside from a handful of games, and a bunch of apps that came installed that I don't use (vCast, VZNavigator) I have no 3rd party messaging apps that I use, no 3rd party email clients...don't even use facebook, twitter,etc.

I have a Golf GPS app (MTTgolf), a golf scorecard (mScorecard). Google Maps, Weather Channel.

I opened Google Maps and it's prompting for an update, so I'm doing that now (rebooting)...and I'll open several other apps and see if updates are available....see if that clears it...
    05-17-11 12:02 PM
    I do also have a playbook...(so I have bridge installed), but I believe this notification preceeds getting that as well.
    05-17-11 12:04 PM
    The only thing I can think of right now is to go to the e-mail set up app and open it. It should prompt you to update it. If the notification is related to that update, the icon will disappear after you do it.
    05-17-11 12:42 PM
    It's not related to updating applications on your device. Open the Messages icon, you should see a notification in there for some new application in Blackberry App World. If you open the message the icon should disappear, at least that's what it always is for me.
    jdefuria likes this.
    05-17-11 01:20 PM
    That was exactly it, thanks JRonin!

This is a first for me...never in the past 18 months have I received a notification of a "new" app in app world before...but I guess there's a first time for everything.

So it appears that image is an evelope with the BlackBerry symbol in the middle of it....mystery solved. Thanks!
    05-17-11 01:38 PM
    No problem.
    05-17-11 01:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD