My concern

As anyone who has followed BlackBerry at all knows, they can't keep a secret. We've had spy shots and leaks of everything since the original Storm. Device leaks months and sometimes years before release (z).

What's after the Z30???? Am I the only one who finds it odd?

Thoughts?
    09-08-13 08:44 PM
    I see BBM will be the next big thing.. Channels are powerful.. so let' say you get 40 mil BBM subscribes.. and get people to advertise on channels. it will be a huge thing.
    09-08-13 08:51 PM
    We're not strangers to leak dry spells, I can see where you're going with that thread of thought. Still, BlackBerry said 6 devices so hmm..

Z10
    Q10
    Q5
    Z30

That's 5. If you count the previous Curve or the Nextel Curve, that's 6. I remember the last leaked roadmap suggested something like a tablet. I'd call "wait and see".

I was hoping for a Z5 to keep company to the Q5 as mid range, low priced devices. They sure need one since Z10s are too bloody expensive for some countries at the price point they want to sell it.

But yeah, I see what you did there.
    09-08-13 08:54 PM
    Just strikes me as odd. 5+ years I've been on cb and suddenly bbry learns how to control hardware leaks?
    09-08-13 09:04 PM
    I see BBM will be the next big thing.. Channels are powerful.. so let' say you get 40 mil BBM subscribes.. and get people to advertise on channels. it will be a huge thing.
    I get the channel thing, even though it's still in beta and won't be cross platform for now.

I'm talking about about hardware. Where's the z10+, z50, or whatever?
    09-08-13 09:06 PM
    I guess the question is... if they aren't doing tablets anymore... what other form factors/segments can they fill with yet another device?

Right now they seem to be focused on perfecting the software to where it arguably should have been in the first place. What use is pushing new hardware if you send it out with feature-weak software... It's just destined for failure given the lack 'benefit of the doubt' BlackBerry currently enjoys.

Given all the unknowns... they are probably at least waiting to see how 'complete' 10.2 appears to current users.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-13 09:08 PM
    I guess the question is... if they aren't doing tablets anymore... what other form factors/segments can they fill with yet another device?

Right now they seem to be focused on perfecting the software to where it arguably should have been in the first place. What use is pushing new hardware if you send it out with feature-weak software... It's just destined for failure given the lack 'benefit of the doubt' BlackBerry currently enjoys.

Given all the unknowns... they are probably at least waiting to see how 'complete' 10.2 appears to current users.

Posted via CB10
    This is what worries me, like it or not 1 year product cycles are the norm now. Even the storm 2 came out in less than a year.

Even the guy who wrote the "resilient empire" piece said the z10 and Q10 weren't the products to save bbry.
    09-08-13 09:28 PM
    Just strikes me as odd. 5+ years I've been on cb and suddenly bbry learns how to control hardware leaks?
    Na... We got pretty newsless for a while prior to the BB10 launch.

Or are you saying we all knew how the Q10 and Q5 were going to look like months before release? Those two were only seen quite close to the release dates.

9720 was a total surprise to everybody.

And for the Z10... It looks like the image that was leaked long ago (London times heh) but it's not 100% like it.

So who knows, they may have!
    09-08-13 10:03 PM
    We knew about the "n10" (q10) last year, and the z looks just like the l10 from the marketing slides from way back when. Even the R10 (q5) was known about many months before release. The aristo was known about a year ago!

I have no words if the biggest secret bbry could keep is the 9720
    09-08-13 10:17 PM
    From the much loved "resilient empire " article:

The recent hardware launches from BlackBerry in 2013 were really remnants from an ongoing transition- the Z10 itself was designed nearly 2 years ago in early 2011, these phones were intended to be loaded with a derivative version of PlayBook OS tailored for the smaller screened handsets.
    09-08-13 10:22 PM
    True, but there were some leaked code names a couple weaks ago referring to some new devices, remember those?

Posted from my Q10 on the West Coast
    09-08-13 10:35 PM
    Leaked names, yeah. L10, N10, R10, A10.

But we didn't see the hardware until it was too late for leaked images to really matter.

That's the only point I'm trying to make.

They may be done for the year and we will have another dry spell till March. And then all sorts of names will be around again.

Posted via CB10
    09-08-13 10:42 PM
    Actually we did see the hardware for all of the devices. We've seen the z30 numerous times back when everyone thought it was the a10.

My point is, why so quiet now? The z30 is going to carry the line until sometime next year?
    09-08-13 11:26 PM
    The Cafe series is next.

Actually we did see the hardware for all of the devices. We've seen the z30 numerous times back when everyone thought it was the a10.

My point is, why so quiet now? The z30 is going to carry the line until sometime next year?
    09-08-13 11:59 PM
    I'm not surprised my the lack of leaks given that the company is getting ready to launch the Z30 soon and that the company is trying to sell itself by November. Why should they focus on designing and building new hardware if they don't know if the hardware line will continue? At this point the main things are the Z30 launch and then see what happens with a sale of the company.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-13 12:06 AM
    It's depressing to think that we haven't seen hardware leaks because maybe BlackBerry has halted hardware development because they really might be done with the hardware side of business.

I never thought I'd see the day where the possibility exists that there may not ever be a full qwerty BlackBerry ever again. I try to not think like that, but sometimes lately I have been.

What also sucks is knowing that if BlackBerry does get out of hardware or drastically changes itself so that consumers aren't able to buy its products, is that I know countless people will bother me about it. I already get forwarded negative articles about BlackBerry, more of like a "heads up." I know BlackBerry is just a company and I don't matter to them (only my money does), but BlackBerry is the one company I bother defending/explaining/justifying, and I guess I'm now realizing that it's possible to care about a company whose products have enriched my life everyday since I was 18 (I'm 25 now haha).

I really just hate to think about a future where there aren't any more new BlackBerrys to look forward to.

Posted via CB10
    h20work likes this.
    09-09-13 12:26 AM
    what's next...? A10? would A10 stands a chance against Gnote 3 or Xperia Ultra? waste of time.
    09-09-13 01:50 AM
    It's depressing to think that we haven't seen hardware leaks because maybe BlackBerry has halted hardware development because they really might be done with the hardware side of business.

I never thought I'd see the day where the possibility exists that there may not ever be a full qwerty BlackBerry ever again. I try to not think like that, but sometimes lately I have been.

What also sucks is knowing that if BlackBerry does get out of hardware or drastically changes itself so that consumers aren't able to buy its products, is that I know countless people will bother me about it. I already get forwarded negative articles about BlackBerry, more of like a "heads up." I know BlackBerry is just a company and I don't matter to them (only my money does), but BlackBerry is the one company I bother defending/explaining/justifying, and I guess I'm now realizing that it's possible to care about a company whose products have enriched my life everyday since I was 18 (I'm 25 now haha).

I really just hate to think about a future where there aren't any more new BlackBerrys to look forward to.

Posted via CB10
    I don't look forward to the day when I walk into my Verizon store to upgrade my phone and onle see phones with giant sheets of glass to choose from either but all we can really do is keep using our devices and show our support for this product.

Posted via CB10
    SK122387 likes this.
    09-09-13 02:09 AM
    I don't look forward to the day when I walk into my Verizon store to upgrade my phone and onle see phones with giant sheets of glass to choose from either but all we can really do is keep using our devices and show our support for this product.

Posted via CB10
    I love my Z10 and all, but I shudder at the thought of a store with only glass screens to choose from.

I always keep my BlackBerry in my hand. Usually when I pay for something (coffee, food, etc) I put my phone down on the counter, and many times someone will ask me what phone it is that I have. Of course I'm happy to tell them and show them a few swipes around if they're interested, but I think: Wow... these people had NO idea that BlackBerry had as-good-or-better devices for sale.
    09-09-13 02:56 AM
    And that right there is the main problem: the average Joe on the street doesn't know that BlackBerry has a new OS or all of the great things if offers. And it also always annoys me when I see a report on Fox News or CNN where they're talking about smartphone or about BlackBerry's themselves and all they ever show is the older BB7 phones. Even when they show off the devices that they use it's alway a Bold 9900 or some other BB7 model.

Posted via CB10
    09-09-13 03:43 AM
    No more devices. BlackBerry (aka Black Dalia) wants to be a software and services company. Well I suppose you could consider automobiles as the next hardware device platform which means BlackBerry will be releasing BlackBerry Star to enable real-time tracking of your next luxury vehicle. Thank goodness I prefer Dodge. LOL
    09-09-13 04:28 AM