I have a colleague looking to start a new technology business. I am helping him with creating a suitable name - for now, and the sake of simplicity, let's just call it ACME Computing. In addition to troubleshooting, servicing, designing and building anything related to computers (both personal and server grade) and networks, he also wants to troubleshoot and service Blackberrys as well as provide advanced training to end users.

Here is the problem though - we both feel that ACME Computing is too limiting. It sounds as if he just does computers and does not address the Blackberry aspect of the business. If he went with ACME Technologies, our fear is that name is too broad and leads potential customers into thinking that he does any technology service know to exist. ACME Communications is better, but it potentially omits the core computing aspects of the business.

If you were looking for a professional to assist with your Blackberry needs, what type of business name would clue you in to the fact that in addition to general computing/network support, they also service Blackberrys, i.e. ACME ______________???

Please note, "BlackBerry" will not be in the name in any shape or form due to the trademark issues with RIM.

Thanks in advance for your feedback and suggestions!
    Last edited by jps0; 10-05-08 at 08:52 PM.
    10-05-08 08:17 PM
    BlackBerry - BlackBerry Trademarks

The use of the BlackBerry trademark are clearly defined.

The last thing you want is litigation with Research in Motion.

xyz corp. Supporting BlackBerry� smartphones.

10-05-08 08:33 PM
    I amended the above to illustrate that BB will not be in the name - thanks for the note!
    10-05-08 08:53 PM
    My employer refers to BlackBerry's and Treo's generically as "Mobile Computing Devices." There are no rights associated with that term, but it doesn't have much marketing punch, either. We're users, not marketers. But it fits your description. It could mean laptops, notebooks and PDA's as well as BlackBerrys.
    10-05-08 10:04 PM
    ACME -- Home Business and Mobile Computing

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-05-08 10:39 PM
    Or
    ACME Home, Business and Mobile Equipment
    Or
    ACME at Work, at home and on the Move

10-05-08 10:42 PM
    ACME Computing, Serving Home Business and Mobile needs! (A name and slogan in one)

10-05-08 10:45 PM
    ACME Connected Computing, for your Office, Home and Mobile needs

10-05-08 10:48 PM
    Acme network communications

10-05-08 11:39 PM
    ACME Computing Solutions
    Specializing in Mobile, Home and Work Computing solutions
    10-06-08 10:43 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD