my senior manager sees my blackberry and ask why do i still use it? BBRY is a sinking company. I said its better than his iphone and asked him to try out my Z10. he didnt even bother. rather than trying to defend BBRY and offend my sr manager, i just laughed it off and agreed because, as much as I love BBRY, I need my job to continue supporting BBRY
    04-18-14 10:20 PM
    Where I live in Asia it's not what's with the hate but more "What's with the indifference?". BB10 and BB7 devices are present in large carrier stores and retailers. Shoppers are just not interested anymore in BlackBerry products and BYOD and OEM manufacturers sped up their decline.
    04-18-14 10:49 PM
    on another note....I have been reading CrackBerry for QUITE a while....you are always in certain threads and I have NEVER seen you post ANYTHING remotely positive about BB.....very interesting stat but I guess it takes all kinds
    It should be noted there is (at least IMO) a BIG difference between being critical of Blackberry products and being critical of Blackberry as a company. Now I know your comment was directed towards Troy T, but regarding my opinions, I personally have mixed feelings about the former (like both the PlayBook and Z10 but really dislike the Bold 9930) and my comments come across as such (or at least I hope they do). By contrast, I have almost 100% negative opinions about the latter, or at least I do regarding the last 1-2 years of the Lazaridis/Balsillie era and all of the Heins era. (The jury is still out on John Chen but I think he's making generally good moves that may enable the company to save itself.)
    04-18-14 11:00 PM
    It should be noted there is (at least IMO) a BIG difference between being critical of Blackberry products and being critical of Blackberry as a company. Now I know your comment was directed towards Troy T, but regarding my opinions, I personally have mixed feelings about the former (like both the PlayBook and Z10 but really dislike the Bold 9930) and my comments come across as such (or at least I hope they do). By contrast, I have almost 100% negative opinions about the latter, or at least I do regarding the last 1-2 years of the Lazaridis/Balsillie era and all of the Heins era. (The jury is still out on John Chen but I think he's making generally good moves that may enable the company to save itself.)
    This. I never have said anything bad about BB10 devices because they are good, but as far as the company goes they are open season. They have way too many mess ups to not mention.

Sent from my XT907 using Mobile Nations mobile app
    anon(5828343) likes this.
    04-18-14 11:32 PM
    Sadly it is not Crackberry fans� jobs to educate the world about Blackberry. Lack of publicity, lack of trained staff, that is on Blackberry. They were launching a new platform, they needed to make the deals with the carriers, set up seminars to train the staff to sell the devices, and advertise the hell out of it. You cannot come late to a party that is already going, and get attention based on presumed or inherent merit. BB10 might be the best platform on the planet, but that doesn�t make a difference in this current market. Because a mobile phone these days is as good as the apps and developer support it has available. Basic browsing, email, texts and calls can be done reasonably well on any platform now.

BB10 was new, it needed to be nursed to life, and BB didn�t or couldn�t do that.
    RH1Pearl, JeepBB and anon(5828343) like this.
    04-19-14 12:31 AM
    my senior manager sees my blackberry and ask why do i still use it? BBRY is a sinking company. I said its better than his iphone and asked him to try out my Z10. he didnt even bother. rather than trying to defend BBRY and offend my sr manager, i just laughed it off and agreed because, as much as I love BBRY, I need my job to continue supporting BBRY
    He didn't bother because he's afraid it might be true... haha...

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    04-19-14 03:12 AM
    Sadly it is not Crackberry fans� jobs to educate the world about Blackberry. Lack of publicity, lack of trained staff, that is on Blackberry. They were launching a new platform, they needed to make the deals with the carriers, set up seminars to train the staff to sell the devices, and advertise the hell out of it. You cannot come late to a party that is already going, and get attention based on presumed or inherent merit. BB10 might be the best platform on the planet, but that doesn�t make a difference in this current market. Because a mobile phone these days is as good as the apps and developer support it has available. Basic browsing, email, texts and calls can be done reasonably well on any platform now.

BB10 was new, it needed to be nursed to life, and BB didn�t or couldn�t do that.
    It isn't their job. But they'll do it anyway.... emphasis on crack.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    anon(5828343) likes this.
    04-19-14 03:13 AM
    A lot of my day-job involves negotiation and influencing - basically, it's trying to bend others to my evil will, so that I can achieve my objectives.

What that's taught me over many years is that there's a correct time and place to advance your cause if there is to be any chance of success. Done well, and your "opponent" will buy into your point of view so completely that they will then use your arguments to convert others to that viewpoint.

Aggressively arguing with sales people, much as negotiating whilst standing at the urinals, doesn't advance your case. It actually weakens it, because people regard you as weirdly fanatical! And nobody wants to be seen doing deals or agreeing with crazy people!
    anon(5828343) and richardat like this.
    04-19-14 03:51 AM
    Do people still think NSA can't snoop their Blackberrys?
    JeepBB and richardat like this.
    04-19-14 04:03 AM
    How can it sell if they aren't educated on BlackBerry 10?

"So this is the BlackBerry, we didn't charge it so you can't even use it but here look at this iPhone. It's gold!"

Posted via CB10
    Why would you study Microbiology if you were majoring in Engineering?

It's called resources.

People are not robots. There's only so much that they can handle. Verizon isn't going to send their reps to endless amounts of training (which the OEM should be providing, BTW) for devices that aren't moving, when they can be getting better training for the devices that actually are moving and demand more support knowledge.

At this point, knowledge of the BB10 platform has almost no benefit to Verizon.
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-19-14 04:17 AM
    The free market will ultimately determine the future of BB. We all complain that they should market more, but that cost money and they don't have it.. It is business 101..... Blackberry was 4 years late to the dance and that is where the blame should lie. They OWNED this market for years and then sat on their hands and watched Apple and Android run right by them....They are fighting a good fight now but it may be too little too late..... The phones themselves are good.. but not superior enough for people to make the switch. Smartphones are a fashion accessory for most people and the Blackberry isn't as sexy as the iPhone or Android....

We talk about spec and features but all three platforms can do just about everything a person wants a phone to do. The differences are tiny and it all comes down to marketing... Blackberry doesn't need to market a phone.. they need to market the company!! If Blackberry isn't seen as sexy and cool than they are toast.... They need to make shiny colored phones and pay Kim Kardashian and Miley Cyrus to carry them and make it cool again to carry a Blackberry
    CHIP72 and Troy Tiscareno like this.
    04-19-14 05:51 AM
    I don't know if they do, but they know the NSA's got a backdoor into iPhones.
    04-19-14 09:41 AM
    Clairvoyance seems to be a gift you've been bestowed with. Why don't you enlighten us?
    Not sure I follow.
    04-19-14 10:40 AM
    Carriers aren't going to support a device that barely gets support from its own company. That's the bottom line. The launch of BB10 was nothing short of an embarrassment and Thor generated as much excitement for BB10 as getting whipped in public. Alicia Keys was even more of a head scratcher as she hasn't been a prominent music figure in years. Please tell me why carriers are going to support a device who's own company refuses to support it. BB thought they could sell on their name alone but failed to realize that many had moved on and didn't need a BB anymore.

Posted via CrackBerry App
    lnichols and anon(5061193) like this.
    04-19-14 11:02 AM
    Carriers aren't going to support a device that barely gets support from its own company. That's the bottom line. The launch of BB10 was nothing short of an embarrassment and Thor generated as much excitement for BB10 as getting whipped in public. Alicia Keys was even more of a head scratcher as she hasn't been a prominent music figure in years. Please tell me why carriers are going to support a device who's own company refuses to support it.
    Guys - can we dispel of the notion that they weren't willing to spend money on marketing? I'll grant you, you can make a decent argument about whether or not the marketing they did was effective, but saying "they never did any marketing" is simply not true. They spent hundreds of millions of dollars marketing BlackBerry 10 devices in 2013 including $90 million just in the US.

Apple Closes U.S. Ad-Spending Gap With Samsung - Digits - WSJ
    04-19-14 12:23 PM
    i was in paris in one orange shop in the center on the champs elysees, they had displays on the wall with mobile phones. i bought there an HTC one M8 (but i dont like it ) and i saw the blackberrys there on a wall with phones for old people, you know what i mean? Our BB's near phones with BIG KEYBOARDS
    04-19-14 12:29 PM
    Guys - can we dispel of the notion that they weren't willing to spend money on marketing? I'll grant you, you can make a decent argument about whether or not the marketing they did was effective, but saying "they never did any marketing" is simply not true. They spent hundreds of millions of dollars marketing BlackBerry 10 devices in 2013 including $90 million just in the US.

Apple Closes U.S. Ad-Spending Gap With Samsung - Digits - WSJ
    I'm not dispelling that notion at all. But doing a marketing run however poor can't just be completely abandoned by the manufacturer and then expect that people and carriers will just fall in line. If that were the case then Apple and Samsung would never do any marketing. Marketing is continuous, not just a run of ads and then "Ok, let's sit back and watch the dollars roll in."

And I am by no means blaming carriers at all. I don't think they should push BB's because the company doesn't push them. Now they don't push them because BB is out of the consumer market.
    JeepBB likes this.
    04-19-14 12:32 PM
    And I am by no means blaming carriers at all. I don't think they should push BB's because the company doesn't push them. Now they don't push them because BB is out of the consumer market.
    Say what? If they're out of the consumer market, then why have they partnered with Foxconn for five years to produce entry-level BB10 devices? It may not be for North America, but BBRY is far from out of the consumer market.
    04-19-14 12:55 PM
    But doing a marketing run however poor can't just be completely abandoned by the manufacturer and then expect that people and carriers will just fall in line.
    What have they abandoned? There are still BlackBerry 10 updates that have been done and are being worked on since launch (I've had at least five on my phone). They released four BlackBerry 10 devices last year, and have announced and shown two more that are launching soon. There are still marketing efforts being done, just less than before because quite frankly - they can't afford the same push they could last year.
    04-19-14 12:56 PM
    I'm not dispelling that notion at all. But doing a marketing run however poor can't just be completely abandoned by the manufacturer and then expect that people and carriers will just fall in line. If that were the case then Apple and Samsung would never do any marketing. Marketing is continuous, not just a run of ads and then "Ok, let's sit back and watch the dollars roll in."
    This is what I think exactly what happened. There were some commercials but they were short lived. They need to drive the point home and make someone go get it, and get people talking.
    04-19-14 02:10 PM
    I'll say what I always say in these kind of threads. I think that if BlackBerry took the time to market it's only flagship which is only on One carrier and taught reps at stores how to use it, they could have made more sales.

This is even in favor of BlackBerry because they only have one carrier to work with. If BlackBerry isn't making an effort why should Verizon go out of its way?

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    Good points. Someone from "Verizon Loyalty" called me yesterday, offering to explore my data/voice/etc plans and see if there were something else. It turns out my various grandfathered features are best left undisturbed. But I finally asked what phone he had. S4 but mentioned that he really likes some of the Z10's features - the Peek, Swipe, hub and multitasking where he can check on email, etc while in an app. So he was familiar with the BB but noted that they don't really sell at the moment. Just an interesting conversation.
    04-19-14 02:14 PM
    The phone itself, no... but the carriers hand all the data over, so, they are wide open... Merkels' BB10 didn't get hit itself, they hit Deutsche Telecom... in other words, NSA (and all the other alphabet soup spooks) are going to hit the weakest link... which is NOT the BB10 (or BBos) phones... it's the carriers.
    04-19-14 04:09 PM
    Not sure I follow.
    I'm telling you to answer your own question. Was what attempted?
    04-19-14 06:44 PM
    I'm telling you to answer your own question. Was what attempted?
    Actually, I asked that of anybody who may have knowledge of the matter.
    04-19-14 07:45 PM
    I don't know if they do, but they know the NSA's got a backdoor into iPhones.
    Read this....
    https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2013/1...canaries-right

...and contrast that with BlackBerry's documented history of simply granting government's access to their servers.

mmkay?
    04-21-14 07:43 PM
131 ... 3456