Today I went to a Verizon store to check out the z30, since they are the only carrier in the US that offers this phone.

So I walk in and ask if they have a z30 and the woman at the front had no idea what that was and didn't even know they carry it. She said she will look in the back. As I'm standing around looking at the new phones I went to the corner and there is a display for "simple phones " you know, like flip phones, brick phones etc. The phone farthest to the right was the z10. I just don't understand how this is a "simple " phone. The z10 is easily the best phone I've ever used. And I'm coming from an iPhone 4, Note 3 and even the new Jolla phone from Finland.

So I finally get the z30 and the sales person said something along the lines : "why do you even want a blackberry? " I asked if he has used BlackBerry 10 and he said no. Figures. It made me feel alienated the way he looked and talked to me during the "demo" I felt like I was trying to sell the phone to him not vise versa!

Oh, and the z30 want even set up so the only thing I could try was the activation wifi screen.

No wonder BlackBerry is having a hard time financially when customers are shunned away like this.

Posted via CB10
    Attachment 263864
    04-17-14 04:13 PM
    The Z10 got relegated to the kids table along with the other slow selling feature phones.
    Carriers aren't going to push phones that don't sell and BB isn't going to spend money on advertising support and sending their reps to stores cause the consumer market is dead to them at the moment, ergo dual whammy.
    techvisor, BKA22, milo53 and 2 others like this.
    04-17-14 04:17 PM
    It's definitely a catch 22 situation. Carriers aren't going to push what won't sell, and phones won't sell without carrier support.
    04-17-14 04:20 PM
    How can it sell if they aren't educated on BlackBerry 10?

"So this is the BlackBerry, we didn't charge it so you can't even use it but here look at this iPhone. It's gold!"

Posted via CB10
    04-17-14 04:25 PM
    I'll say what I always say in these kind of threads. I think that if BlackBerry took the time to market it's only flagship which is only on One carrier and taught reps at stores how to use it, they could have made more sales.

This is even in favor of BlackBerry because they only have one carrier to work with. If BlackBerry isn't making an effort why should Verizon go out of its way?

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App!
    04-17-14 04:42 PM
    Exactly. Can't understand why BB10 devices can't sell more? I also have been hit with that "why do you still have a BlackBerry" question. Once I show them my BB10 device they are amazed and had no clue. More or less impressed. My wife has a Galaxy but will be getting a Q10 in a few months. She really likes the device. My daughter wants a Q5 but just might get a Q10 as well. Those that try and bash are truly speaking from pure inexperience.
    04-17-14 05:01 PM
    Not trying to be funny. Really not understanding.*
    It's his own personal conspiracy theory: that the US government is somehow trying to prevent US citizens from owning BB phones, because they're "too secure." This despite the fact that consumers aren't on BES, so their communications really aren't any more secure than on any other phone, and despite the fact that sales and carrier support are equally poor, or nearly so, for BB10 on carriers all over the world.

He can't accept that the problem lies with BB, and all of the competitive areas where the BB10 ecosystem is lacking.
    04-17-14 05:04 PM
    It's his own personal conspiracy theory: that the US government is somehow trying to prevent US citizens from owning BB phones, because they're "too secure." This despite the fact that consumers aren't on BES, so their communications really aren't any more secure than on any other phone, and despite the fact that sales and carrier support are equally poor, or nearly so, for BB10 on carriers all over the world.

He can't accept that the problem lies with BB, and all of the competitive areas where the BB10 ecosystem is lacking.
    I don't necessarily agree with the conspiracy theory, but please remind me--was an NSA backdoor into BB10 or BBOS ever discovered?
    04-17-14 05:09 PM
    It was BlackBerry's job to advertise the device, tell the world that it was new and different, and even run some ads that show how fluid BB10 is and show off some gestures. Instead they blew three million on a Super Bowl ad that showed what the phone couldn't do, and no other advertising or awareness after that. BlackBerry has gotten out of the BB10 rollout a result that is equal to the effort they out into it. People really need to start holding BlackBerry to the same high standard that they set for the carriers here.

Posted via CB10
    04-17-14 05:13 PM
    I don't necessarily agree with the conspiracy theory, but please remind me--was an NSA backdoor into BB10 or BBOS ever discovered?
    Not that we know of.

thisiscjay likes this.
    04-17-14 05:18 PM
    Exactly. Can't understand why BB10 devices can't sell more? I also have been hit with that "why do you still have a BlackBerry" question. Once I show them my BB10 device they are amazed and had no clue. More or less impressed. My wife has a Galaxy but will be getting a Q10 in a few months. She really likes the device. My daughter wants a Q5 but just might get a Q10 as well. Those that try and bash are truly speaking from pure inexperience.
    It's unfortunate people bash other platforms just to feel better about the phone they have. Imagine someone bashing your landline phone or vacuum cleaner, that's how stupid this platform flame war can get.
    04-17-14 05:26 PM
    No need for that when you can intercept the data during transmission. Please drop the insane conspiracy theorys. All phones ride on the same networks, so it is better to get the data there.

Posted via CB10
    cwalt2166 and Paisley Pirate like this.
    04-17-14 05:30 PM

Not sure if I believe the conspiracy theory, but everyone's entitled to their opinion.

Posted Via my Kick @ss BlackBerry Z30
    04-17-14 05:31 PM
    According to several articles in the press, BB's (BBOS) has been compromised in the past, even those on BES. I'm not saying it's easy (one story suggested that it took a concerted effort to break BES and that it wasn't assured or "routine"), but a lot of what NSA gathers is simply metadata from your phone calls and texts, to see who you call and went/for how long. Even on BES, your phone calls and texts (the content, not just the metadata) are still "in the clear."

But, again, we're talking about CONSUMERS here, who won't be on BES anyway, so why would NSA care if you used a BB or iPhone or Android?
    techvisor, kbz1960 and richardat like this.
    04-17-14 05:34 PM
    I'll say what I always say in these kind of threads. I think that if BlackBerry took the time to market it's only flagship which is only on One carrier and taught reps at stores how to use it, they could have made more sales.

This is even in favor of BlackBerry because they only have one carrier to work with. If BlackBerry isn't making an effort why should Verizon go out of its way?

Also bizarrely the z30 is probably better than any device they have in the pipeline that they may (or may not) be planning to market heavily.
    Meanwhile with each passing day more customers are lost and the brand is damaged a little more.
    04-17-14 05:36 PM
    Most smartphone user nowadays relays on apps and cameras for selfie. Till this day, I still have smartphone user coming up to me asking for directions or nearest gas station, etc...damn shame really.

Posted via CB10
    Not sure if I believe the conspiracy theory, but everyone's entitled to their opinion.
    Sure. But if my opinion was that the moon was made of green cheese and that Mars was populated by little green men with antennae on their heads, despite having my "right" to that opinion, it would still leave me open to ridicule. Having a right to an opinion doesn't mean that others have to respect the opinion itself, even if they respect a person's right to HAVE the opinion.
    True RH1Pearl. Imagine if we had no choice, but one or two. We, and when I say we, I mean us as consumers, need the mobile market to remain diverse. There is room for everyone. The employees of these carriers need to help people find mobile solutions that is best and right for them. For me it has been BlackBerry for my phone. I did my research (did they?), I know what I want...my decision, my money. Don't try to bait me.
    acovey likes this.
    04-17-14 05:39 PM
    Sure. But if my opinion was that the moon was made of green cheese and that Mars was populated by little green men with antennae on their heads, despite having my "right" to that opinion, it would still leave me open to ridicule. Having a right to an opinion doesn't mean that others have to respect the opinion itself, even if they respect a person's right to HAVE the opinion.
    Listen I wouldn't think any less of you for believing that moon is made from green cheese and Mars is populated by little green men with antennae on their heads. Just don't bash me for believing a dragon with monkey arms and a Kualas' head holds up the sky. Deal?

Posted Via my Kick @ss BlackBerry Z30
    techvisor and im-nmp like this.
    04-17-14 05:42 PM
    Wait.

The moon isn't made of cheese?
    04-17-14 05:45 PM
    It's definitely a catch 22 situation. Carriers aren't going to push what won't sell, and phones won't sell without carrier support.
    That's why handset manufacturers spend millions on advertising, to create the initial demand that triggers proper carrier promotion. Nobody will get blackberry out of the hole other than blackberry.
    04-17-14 05:47 PM
    a lot of what NSA gathers is simply metadata from your phone calls and texts, to see who you call and went/for how long. Even on BES, your phone calls and texts (the content, not just the metadata) are still "in the clear."
    The iOS backdoor allows for much more: The NSA has nearly complete backdoor access to Apple's iPhone

But, again, we're talking about CONSUMERS here, who won't be on BES anyway, so why would NSA care if you used a BB or iPhone or Android?
    I don't get this. If you are a target for interception, regardless of which platform and snooping body it is, wouldn't the agency want you on the platform they have the most complete backdoor into, and perhaps, the easiest one to spy on--assuming they can all be spied upon, it's just a matter of how easily?
    04-17-14 05:49 PM
    The iOS backdoor allows for much more: The NSA has nearly complete backdoor access to Apple's iPhone

I don't get this. If you are a target for interception, regardless of which platform and snooping body it is, wouldn't the agency want you on the platform they have the most complete backdoor into, and perhaps, the easiest one to spy on--assuming they can all be spied upon, it's just a matter of how easily?
    So the government is making people choose a certain platform? I'm confused as to what you are saying. Does it matter how easy it is for them if they can spy on you either way?

04-17-14 06:00 PM
    There is definitely a misconception about blackberry phones here in the United States, and people need to be educated. Case in point: I was talking about blackberry with one of my coworkers, and he mentioned that Blackberries aren't really smartphones. Mind you he works in IT and has well above average technical knowledge. I had to correct him by letting him know the new BlackBerry 10 operating system is actually very good and on par with Android and iOS.
    Carjackd and Paisley Pirate like this.
    04-17-14 06:12 PM
    OP, I think I know what the problem is, you went into a Verizon store. Why didn't you get your Z30 direct from BlackBerry?
    04-17-14 06:25 PM
131 123 ...