I believe after that investor call the stock is dropping to its death...

And this week's blackberry world is doing nothing.. man - hope RIM survives few more months till they their new phone line up.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    05-07-11 12:37 PM
    Hmmm I'm glad we you made this topic so we can discuss this for the first time ever in life. They will survive a TON longer than a few more months so no need to worry, but no that doesn't mean they are doing as well as they should be. That pretty much sums up the discussion.

Good day!
    05-07-11 01:08 PM
    I'm waiting for the Stock to hit $42 then I am buying back in, I expect RIM to see $60 by year end, but I am sure there will be some more negative press and stupid assumptions of buy outs to continue to keep the US analysts rating RIM so lowly.

RIM has enough money on hand and continuous cash flow that even if the stock fell to $5 they could remain open as long as it is just falling do to analyst opinions and not due to actual company valuation, as RIM at $60 is still very low in terms of Stock price to value.
    05-07-11 01:22 PM
    hee....hee....the investors are sitting around with their finger over the "buy" button.
    this is how people make a killing in the stock market.
    05-07-11 01:56 PM
    hee....hee....the investors are sitting around with their finger over the "buy" button.
    this is how people make a killing in the stock market.
    It's easier to recognize when the stock is low and good to buy. The tricky part is to know when to sell it, and convince yourself to do so.
    Last edited by rmjones101; 05-07-11 at 02:03 PM.
    05-07-11 02:01 PM
    I'm waiting for the Stock to hit $42 then I am buying back in, I expect RIM to see $60 by year end, but I am sure there will be some more negative press and stupid assumptions of buy outs to continue to keep the US analysts rating RIM so lowly.

RIM has enough money on hand and continuous cash flow that even if the stock fell to $5 they could remain open as long as it is just falling do to analyst opinions and not due to actual company valuation, as RIM at $60 is still very low in terms of Stock price to value.
    Yeah, go ahead and buy it at $42.

Once it drops below $40, it will never sniff $40 again. The company is one of the worse companies running, with no direction and no desire to improve.
    05-07-11 02:04 PM
    LOL!!!! obviously you haven't tracked RIMM....
    05-07-11 02:36 PM
    It's easier to recognize when the stock is low and good to buy. The tricky part is to know when to sell it, and convince yourself to do so.
    That *is* the tough part. Greediness kicks in. If using expendable cash, which is what one should be using, I would sell after several quarters of no growth.
    This does no describe RIM.
    Last edited by Qbnkelt; 05-07-11 at 02:43 PM.
    05-07-11 02:39 PM

Once it drops below $40, it will never sniff $40 again. The company is one of the worse companies running, with no direction and no desire to improve.
    No chance - it will be taken out if it goes and stays below $40. They have over $3 billion in cash and a $40 price puts the valuation at $20 billion. Put the numbers together and someone will be interested given the amount of value the company has in terms of sales, corporate relationship, and property.
    Last edited by MarketRide; 05-07-11 at 04:16 PM.
    05-07-11 03:21 PM

I haven't made my million in the market yet like you, but I think I'll take my chances..

05-07-11 03:34 PM
    Someone once told me it was best if you did not have an emotional interest in a stock that you wanted to invest in... it made it hard for you to recognize when it was time to get out.

Not saying that this is the time to do it with RIM, just that you don't necessarily want to let your heart make your decisions.
    05-07-11 06:45 PM
    Well idk. From what I've seen from previous companies that generally have no desire to innovate is that once they begin to decline in stock is like almost impossible to come back. Correct if I'm wrong but wouldn't it take some thing completely amazing to increase the stock value say like a product or something??

05-07-11 06:49 PM
    Well idk. From what I've seen from previous companies that generally have no desire to innovate is that once they begin to decline in stock is like almost impossible to come back. Correct if I'm wrong but wouldn't it take some thing completely amazing to increase the stock value say like a product or something??
    Well I think one of the main causes for the stocks significant decrease in the last few weeks was the earnings reports showing RIM was not selling as many smartphones as they wanted to. So I think unless they can catch up in this area, it will be tough for their stock to return to the 50s-60s.

One thing to note is that they haven't really released a really significant smartphone since the Torch in August of last year. In that time, how would they expect to compete with their competitors?

Hopefully Playbook sales and future BB7 smartphone sales can put them back on the map. Regardless of what analysts might say, there seems to be a lot of interest. RIM just needs something refreshing in the smartphone segment. While BB7 might not look like a significant improvement at first glance, it seems to be improving where it has been lacking in the last year or so. I hope reviews are great and people see why buying a BlackBerry might not be such a bad idea.
    05-07-11 07:06 PM
    RIM is working hard (with all three telcos) to go "big" in China, a market with over 800 million mobile users and counting. If they are able to manage well their entry and "convince" communities - including business, government agencies and "regular" users - they are better, or at least same level choice as iPhone and the wave of Android devices I won't worry much about company's financial results.
    05-07-11 07:31 PM
    Someone once told me it was best if you did not have an emotional interest in a stock that you wanted to invest in... it made it hard for you to recognize when it was time to get out.

Not saying that this is the time to do it with RIM, just that you don't necessarily want to let your heart make your decisions.
    Very good advice. The big reason not to buy a stock you're emotionally involved in is that sometimes you get locked in. If you want to buy a stock where you have an emotional connection, a good plan is to write down the reason you are buying in the first place. That way, when the stock moves against you, you don't panic. Look at the reason you bought. If the reason you bought is no longer true, then sell. (EG. If you bought because you expected big things from the Playbook launch, then you now have a rational reason to sell.)

Another thing which always irritates me... The stock doesn't have a predetermined figure that it's worth, despite what analysts say. There can and is often a disconnect between the company's performance and the stock's performance. The difference is in expectations and how the company does compared to expectations. Stocks often get overbought and oversold due to speculation and market forces in general. Also, many totally unrelated events effect the market and sectors of the market, so you can't look at an individual stock in isolation of what's going on around it.

Lastly, please don't educate yourselves about investing principals here. There are a ton of great resources, but bulletin boards aren't one of them. Check out AAII (the American Association of Individual Investing) if you're interested in an unbiased conservative education about investing. I'm not associated with them but I'm a life member. The main site is at AAII: The American Association of Individual Investors. In verifying the site URL, I noticed a timely article on the home page, Steps to Take When Your Stock's Price Falls | AAII: The American Association of Individual Investors
    Last edited by sheldonbk; 05-07-11 at 08:23 PM. Reason: Got tired of typing a long message on my blackberry.. LOL
    05-07-11 08:04 PM

I have to agree with this, I love the product, for me and my use the Bold 9650 is great but I wouldn't want this to cloud my judgment regarding an investment decision. So I'll own the product and skip the stock !

05-07-11 08:51 PM
    Well playbook is getting got bad reviews. The OS update that should not be a full 1.0 update is being released. Its not hard for consumers to see how pathetic that is. And just another kick in the pants, the flagship device from november won't be upgraded to last OS version. People are loosing faith in the company.
    On top of that the moves that CEO is making is making stock holders very uneasy, if the conditions don't improve, I think he will be voted off by the end of this year.

05-07-11 11:02 PM
    Buying QNX, TAT and others and coming out with the Playbook, and promising QNX phones == 'no desire to innovate' ???

sleepngbear likes this.
    05-08-11 01:19 AM
    Short that trash. You see it down in a big up day for the market. Funny how the ceo was talking about something big on monday and the market just shrugged off the bold touch news.

Any rimm longs, sell covered calls to preserve capital.

05-08-11 03:23 AM
    Buying QNX, TAT and others and coming out with the Playbook, and promising QNX phones == 'no desire to innovate' ???
    Hey, you aren't allowed to let actual facts intrude on people when they are declaring rim to be dead yet again.
    sleepngbear likes this.
    05-08-11 05:35 AM
    This is the big difference I see between the Storm 1 sh#tstorm and RIM today. Companies don't go on acquisition sprees as RIM has this past year with the intent of sitting on their hands. Again, investors and analysts cannot see past the end of the current quarter. Once again RIM stock got hammered on Friday when the double-whammy was announced that Apple has surpassed them in worldwide sales and Android has surpassed them in mobile OS market share. Well duh, when when you have two other companies in the same market growing faster, who didn't see that coming.

Of course I don't like seeing RIM's stock taking a beating such as it is, but I'm nonetheless remaining optimistic for the long term, largely because of the potential these recent acquisitions have to solidifying RIM's position for future growth.
    05-08-11 09:41 AM
    On the sidelines watching with no financial interests at play would rule the majority of people knowing nothing about stocks here.

05-09-11 03:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD