I know there is VZ Navigator, but that is $9.99/mon. Is that the only app for GPS? Google Maps is free, but it's not necessarily a GPS app is it?
    07-09-09 11:22 PM
    All indications are that the GPS will be unlocked.
    07-09-09 11:33 PM
    What does that mean exactly?
    07-09-09 11:42 PM
    Blackberry maps (should be pre-loaded) is allowed to use the internal GPS and isn't a bad program. The internal GPS on my VZW 8330 works well in the house, my Garmin c330 and Magellen Explorist 400 don't get signal at all.

Go to Options → Advanced → GPS → GPS Services → change "911 Only" to "Location on"

Blackberry maps will now work with GPS.

Though I have no super connections, I do hear that Verizon will soon relinquish hold of the GPS on BB products.

After review, I have to say BB maps is a great tool and I would not buy a car GPS if I didn't have one already. There are some advantages to a dedicated unit like my Garmin, but I would have saved the $400.00 and just used BB Maps if had the BB when I bought the GPS.
    Last edited by Dr_Strangelove; 07-09-09 at 11:55 PM. Reason: More props for BB Maps
    07-09-09 11:48 PM
    Do you like BB Maps better than Google Maps? I know its not as fancy, but does it have basically all the things Google does?
    07-10-09 12:52 AM
    Do you like BB Maps better than Google Maps? I know its not as fancy, but does it have basically all the things Google does?
    Ehhhh, it's a toss-up. Google maps gives you satellite pictures, BB maps just gives road map type views. Each is better in certain situations. 99% of the time, I don't need satellite pics. Even without GPS, Google maps is good enough for most long distance travel, just using the cell tower triangulation.

Overall, Google maps is a better product, it has more features and more landmarks in the database.

BB maps is fine for what I do, it gives accurate directions and I don't have to carry a GPS along with me. The best thing about it is it works with the internal GPS on the VZW 8330, so no GPS puck required. If Google maps worked with the internal GPS, I'd go with it, but since it doesn't; BB maps is the way to go for me.
    07-10-09 01:10 AM
    Well, from my understanding Google Maps will work on the Tour with GPS. So...I guess thats that. Thanks for the input.
    07-10-09 01:14 AM
    phonearena.com review of the Verizon tour stated that google maps did not work..so presumably still locked

07-10-09 07:39 AM
    sounds to me like the ***** at phone arena need to be smacked up side the head, and then shown how to switch the GPS to "location on" instead of "E911 only"

the only thing that should be locked is this thread. before sunday morning this forum is gonna be nothing but 4 pages of people starting new GPS threads.

how to a simple question about GPS in the tour turn into this.. The tours GPS is unlocked. AGPS is used by VZ NAV... Garmin and Google Maps works fine.. AGPS just gets a fix faster.. Gmaps is actuate to 3 meters..
    07-10-09 07:51 AM
    Ehhhh, it's a toss-up. Google maps gives you satellite pictures, BB maps just gives road map type views. Each is better in certain situations. 99% of the time, I don't need satellite pics. Even without GPS, Google maps is good enough for most long distance travel, just using the cell tower triangulation.

Overall, Google maps is a better product, it has more features and more landmarks in the database.

BB maps is fine for what I do, it gives accurate directions and I don't have to carry a GPS along with me. The best thing about it is it works with the internal GPS on the VZW 8330, so no GPS puck required. If Google maps worked with the internal GPS, I'd go with it, but since it doesn't; BB maps is the way to go for me.
    Nothing really wrong with what you say but it is based on a previous generation Verizon BB. The Storm 9530 allowed use of the GPS by other programs as mentioned on many threads over the last 7 months. I used the BB maps until a Google Maps version was written (by Google) compatible with the Storm and there is really no comparison. Both are free but the features on Google are much broader not limited to the satellite view.

Not only this but the Storm (and supposedly subsequent Verizon BB's) will allow 3rd party use of the GPS. I use the fee based (non 3rd party) VZ Navigator for full voice announced turn by turn directions at $9.99 monthly which is worth it for my business use instead of a standalone GPS. Other apps are also available for purchase such as Garmin Mobile. Garmin can be on subscription based ($9.99 mo) or purchased at $100. The Tour should be able to use these as well as the Storm as soon as the app is ready for the new device. Ther really is no comparison to the capabilities of the RIM included BB maps.

As others have said, make sure GPS is turned to: "location on" in options menu.

To the OP a search will return more GPS threads than you can imagine. Hope this helps.
    07-10-09 09:17 AM
    the amaze GPS...is it any good in comparison with BBMaps and Google Maps?
    I have a pearl mind you...but i want some sort of navigator...I know I get a limited choice
    11-10-09 06:07 PM
    the amaze GPS...is it any good in comparison with BBMaps and Google Maps?
    I have a pearl mind you...but i want some sort of navigator...I know I get a limited choice
    It's voice and turn by turn and works well for me. Its not quite as user friendly or nice looking but once you get the hang of it its great. As far as compatibility the internal GPS i'm not sure you may need to run bbmaps. I use a BT puck.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-10-09 06:51 PM
    Pretty much, if you are looking for turn-by-turn, you have a couple of options.

amAzeGPS should work (they even have a Verizon version). Version 4.5 is free. Version 5.0 is something like $3/month.

Garmin Mobile is also supposed to work with Verizon's Tour. It's not free ($99), but you can get it for $79 through the BB owner's lounge. It's a one-time fee good for the life of the device.

I haven't tried Nav4All on my Tour, but it should work as well. Nav4All is free until the end of the year. I don't know how much they will be charging after that.
    11-11-09 07:31 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD